• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

zroid

Banned
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ered-awarding-three-points-regulation-victory

The league should either do this or get rid of that damn loser point. Stop rewarding teams for losing.

The argument against it from the league has been that it would be too easy to fall into a hole in the standings, and there would be a perception of fewer meaningful games late in the season.

However, I've always believed this to be fallacious. The system now creates an illusion of being closer in the standings than you are. BUT with 3 point regulation wins, the potential for 6 point swings from a single game would create far more opportunity for late season shifts in the standings in my opinion. Hot and cold streaks from a few teams could quickly change the standings dynamics, which just doesn't happen currently.

calder

New thread. I'm thinking we'll know by the end of the month if the Jets are going to chase a playoff spot or if the tanking process has begun

Ahh, you're ignoring the most likely third option: the Jets are just barely out of a playoff spot thanks to the stupid loser point and artificial "parity" and end up finishing the year in the same spot. But hey, maybe we'll pull a lottery ball out of our ass again and get the third pick... I'd be pretty OK with that.

I said at the beginning of the year the Jets would be a bubble playoff team and that's about what they look like right now. We'd be a bit ahead if we hadn't had so many injuries during the most condensed part of our schedule and if Hutch/Helle hadn't been so bad the first month but oh well, we'd still be about where we are.

With a team this young I didn't expect much beyond another year of growing pains but there are at least some really encouraging signs at forward that this team could be really good in a year or two. Maybe we should ease up this year a bit and try for Liljegren at second overall... a young elite-ish dman would basically be perfect for us. Pity he's right handed but I'm sure we could figure something out. ;) *cough*whowantstrouba*cough*

Marvie_3

Banned
Quebec is not getting a team, the league has already proven multiple time that they don't want them

They publicly told them to fuck off when they announced that only one team was getting in eventhough Quebec was ready to pay the big price

let it go. I'm still paying for that fucking empty arena with my taxes, fuck quebec city fuck Labeaume fuck quebecor
People said that about Winnipeg too.

calder

3 point regulation wins or bust.

I'd accept this, but I'd honestly prefer removing the loser point, killing the shootout and having ties after OT. Will never happen because everyone hates ties for some reason but oh well.

While I'm daydreaming about improving the league despite the fact that NHL GMs insist it's already exactly perfect:

1) bigger nets - this is in addition to smaller goalie equipment, which needs to be slimmed down no matter what because those bastards will never stop cheating
2) shorter season (remove at LEAST two games) and shorter preseason
3) fix the standings by having 3 pt wins or something else
4) contract your favourite team, because it sucks (yes, YOURS)
5) One more expansion team in Seattle, if Carolina must move then it goes to QC mainly because it would do well there but also because it would enrage HabsGAF which is always fun

calder

OH yeah:

6) Adopt the Gold Plan to replace the draft lottery. This isn't that important to me as I don't get terribly upset by tanking but it would be pretty cool to see the bottom teams struggling hard down the stretch to get a first overall pick. This also won't be as much of an issue for a while because I think we just randomly got some extremely top heavy drafts lately and we could easily have some mediocre to average drafts classes for a few years. No one is actively planning to tank in preseason in order to get a better chance at Nolan Patrick or guys like him.

Marvie_3

Banned
Will Chicago ever get a team?

QOLwhxY.jpg

Chris R

Ideally a season schedule gets restructured when the league hits 32 teams.

Would people be down with 6 games against the other teams in the division? Or is that too many? With a 6/2/1 (division/conference/oppo) game split you get 74 games, or 82 if you jump to 6/3/1.

Pikma

Banned
Agreed, I think it's bullshit the Stars are a point from being in a playoff spot even though they've only won 8 games on regulation

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
3 point regulation wins or bust.

Yup. Here's the Pacific Division on a 3-2-1 point system (W-OTW-L-OTL), for example:

San Jose Sharks: 12-2-9-1 - 41 pts
Edmonton Oilers: 12-0-10-2 - 38 pts
Anaheim Ducks: 11-0-8-4 - 37 pts
Calgary Flames: 9-2-13-2 - 33 pts
Los Angeles Kings: 7-5-10-1 - 32 pts
Vancouver Canucks: 6-4-11-2 - 28 pts
Arizona Coyotes: 6-2-10-3 - 25 pts

Compare that to the real standings today:

San Jose Sharks: 14-9-1 - 29 pts
Anaheim Ducks: 11-8-4 - 26 pts
Edmonton Oilers: 12-10-2 - 26 pts
Los Angeles Kings: 12-10-1 - 25 pts
Calgary Flames: 11-13-2 - 24 pts
Vancouver Canucks: 10-11-2 - 22 pts
Arizona Coyotes: 8-10-3 - 19 pts

That's a huge difference in the complexion of the race, even if the actual order of the teams isn't radically different. Right now the LA Kings are only 1 point back of second place in the division, 4 points out of first. With a three point regulation wins system, though, they're suddenly in 5th place, and by a significant margin at that.
(To be fair, part of that is because the Flames have somehow played 3 more games than them, but it's still an uphill climb that would require them to string together some regulation wins to get back into contention for the top of the division.)

Or, if you want to look at the top of the league standings right now:

Montreal: 16-5-2 - 34 pts
NY Rangers: 16-7-1 - 33 pts
Chicago: 15-6-3 - 33 pts

becomes:

Montreal: 15-1-5-2 - 49 pts
NY Rangers: 16-0-7-1 - 49 pts
Chicago: 11-4-6-3 - 44 pts

Same leaders, but instead of a dead heat, there's clear separation. Of course, the league doesn't want the appearance of separation between teams. They want every race to be "close," for every team to be "only __ points out of a playoff spot" to create drama where there shouldn't be any.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Rangers are NHL's most valuable team again in annual Forbes rankings

Here's the rankings:

New York Rangers, $1.25 billion
Montreal Canadiens, $1.12 billion
Toronto Maple Leafs, $1.1 billion
Chicago Blackhawks, $925 million
Boston Bruins, $800 million
Philadelphia Flyers, $720 million
Vancouver Canucks, $700 million
Detroit Red Wings, $625 million
Los Angeles Kings, $600 million
Washington Capitals, $575 million
Pittsburgh Penguins, $570 million
Dallas Stars, $500 million
San Jose Sharks, $470 million
Edmonton Oilers, $445 million
Anaheim Ducks, $415 million
Calgary Flames, $410 million
Minnesota Wild, $400 million
New York Islanders, $385 million
Colorado Avalanche, $360 million
Ottawa Senators, $355 million
Winnipeg Jets, $340 million
New Jersey Devils, $320 million
St. Louis Blues, $310 million.
Tampa Bay Lightning, $305 million
Buffalo Sabres, $300 million
Nashville Predators, $270 million
Columbus Blue Jackets, $245 million
Arizona Coyotes, $240 million
Florida Panthers, $235 million
Carolina Hurricanes, $230 million

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It seems the Buffalo Sabres are AV's "don't give a fuck" opponent where he apparently truly doesn't care about his lineup in the slightest. Last season, he played Mackenzie Skapski in goal against them...twice. The only 2 starts of his NHL career.
He won both, including a shutout.

Now he's playing Adam Clendening against them. Clendening has played exactly once since October 22, though he did dress in one other game where the Rangers were down a man due to last second injury, and he logged exactly 0:00 TOI in that one.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the Rangers on the All-Star ballot are Lundqvist, McDonagh, Nash, and Zuccarello.

If anybody at the league was actually watching the games, the Rangers on the All-Star ballot SHOULD be McDonagh, Grabner, Miller, and Hayes.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Neal is week-to-week, Bitetto is out 6 (more) weeks, no word on Sissons. But Ellis might be back soon.

Rough times ahead. Hope Pekka continues to play great.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, but do these discussions lead to actual games played over there?

Who really knows. But there's certainly a history of the NHL playing games outside of North America in any case.

Plus, there's that huge Chinese market they can get a piece of.

Top Bottom