• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry "we can now finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all the "fire Iwata" talk. The new machines are released, what could his successor possibly do at this point outside of beginning early preparations for 4DS and WiiU2?
use the billions in the bank to get exclusives? fact that elite beat agents spiritual successor just came out on iPhone is sad, published by square, so I assume Nintendo said no first.

javac

This was obvious to anyone that wasn't blinded by Nintendo bias, but good to have some cold, hard facts.

Or you know, people are just discussing stuff and having fun. Happens all the time. You should have a look at the PS4 announcement thread. We have no concrete info on it but hey everyone has a Kaz Hirai avatar and is partying for some reason. If PS4 becomes a dud would I hold their previous excitement against them? Nope. Sure people who expected 600+GFLOPS are looking a bit silly now, be we knew nothing about the hardware and even now we only have a piece of the puzzle. You know, like the thousands of threads and forums dedicated to how the PS3 whooped 360's ass and vice versa when it amounted to nothing and the 'echo chamber' got a whole lot quieter. I don't know, it happens all the time. But hey Nintendo bias! Even-though that makes no sense since that line of thinking would be the opposite of Nintendo bias since we have the Wii and DS which would lead to you think the console would be weak, no?

beast786

Reading through this thread , you will realize why Nintendo gets away with this crap. See people defending "But I bought for first party anyway and gameplay>>graphics" as if both are mutually exclusives.

Same people then were in a big circle jerk quoting x.gif in every thread.

As a Nintendo fan base YOU have to change first , so Nintendo are forced to adjust to new times. but if you guys keep defending this low level from Nintendo , they why would nintendo change?

Part of the problem is Nintendo core fans that let's them get away with this. But unfortunately on console market that is changing and they just can't sell purely because they are Nintendo anymore, same lesson that playstation brand learned this GEN.

There is now too much completion from mobile, smart phones, tablets , PC, other Linux consoles and obviously MS/Sony to just sell based on name brand only.

For those that haven't seen, this article is based on our own thread right here.

Furthermore, I feel the following needs to be quoted (from myself in the OP of the Latte die photo thread):

If developers do not know how to tap into the unexplained it is still a dire mess.
With PS4/720 who will truly bother to search out that missing part of the Wii U GPU?
I understand DF may have jumped the gun in ruling Wii U out of next gen but if this is so easy to get to that conclusion why should 3rd Party devs think different?

There is no hidden magic in this Wii U outside of the first party games.

E-Cat

So, based on the fact that it's a crippled 4650 (with half the TMUs and a lower clock), can we assume the GPU to perform at around 300-350 GFLOPS?

Gustav

Banned
So, based on the fact that it's a crippled 4650 (with half the TMUs and a lower clock), can we assume the GPU to perform at around 300-350 GFLOPS?

I have no idea how valid the number is, but the number thrown around in the other thread was sub 200.

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

Even after 2011's disappointing E3 showing, people were insisting it'd be competitive with proper next-gen consoles. EVEN after last year's complete and utter disaster of an E3 showing, people were still hoping for a miracle. EVEN after ports of PS360 games ran worse, some kept on. I am sure there are still some that will insist on it.

yep

BadWolf

If developers do not know how to tap into the unexplained it is still a dire mess.
With PS4/720 who will truly bother to search out that missing part of the Wii U GPU?
I understand DF may have jumped the gun in ruling Wii U out of next gen but if this is so easy to get to that conclusion why should 3rd Party devs think different?

This is an interesting point, especially when you consider that Sony seems to be trying to make the PS4 as developer friendly as possible.

waypoetic

Banned
As a Nintendo fan base YOU have to change first , so Nintendo are forced to adjust to new times. but if you guys keep defending this low level from Nintendo , they why would nintendo change?

Part of the problem is Nintendo core fans that let's them get away with this. But unfortunately on console market that is changing and they just can't sell purely because they are Nintendo anymore, same lesson that playstation brand learned this GEN.

There is now too much completion from mobile, smart phones, tablets , PC, other Linux consoles and obviously MS/Sony to just sell based on name brand only.
I agree with this post. Well put

mantidor

Yup, and they'll never accept "defeat". Because it's never about graphics or online or dev support, it's always about "the unique gameplay" and the "original IP's". Platforming and the same ol' IP's can only get you so far - and enough money/sales.

Are you really trying to imply Nintendo platformers aren't good at sales?

jett

D-Member
Or you know, people are just discussing stuff and having fun. Happens all the time. You should have a look at the PS4 announcement thread. We have no concrete info on it but hey everyone has a Kaz Hirai avatar and is partying for some reason. If PS4 becomes a dud would I hold their previous excitement against them? Nope. Sure people who expected 600+GFLOPS are looking a bit silly now, be we knew nothing about the hardware and even now we only have a piece of the puzzle. You know, like the thousands of threads and forums dedicated to how the PS3 whooped 360's ass and vice versa when it amounted to nothing and the 'echo chamber' got a whole lot quieter. I don't know, it happens all the time. But hey Nintendo bias! Even-though that makes no sense since that line of thinking would be the opposite of Nintendo bias since we have the Wii and DS which would lead to you think the console would be weak, no?

Having fun? Sure. Sticking your fingers in your ears while wearing blindfolds for two years? Eh.

At this time I think a good idea would be for you to actually look at Blue Ocean Strategy and inform yourself because you clearly don't know wth you're talking about.

Ah, I think you're right. I just remember that term being thrown around a lot back in 2005 in reference to Nintendo choosing to take the low-tech route. In any case, that's what I meant, the fact that they're downplaying graphical prowess to pursue a more prominent feature again (This time exchanging motion controls for the unique controller)

JordanN

Banned
The fuck? Maybe because that's where their experience with making games comes from?

Are you being purposefully obtuse?
No, I find it annoying that somehow developing for Wii makes you some kind of lesser person when speaking of tech.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, that'd be... bad. Did those estimates take into account the new info presented here?

Well, seeing as DF got most of their intel from Thraktor's thread on the Wii-U's GPU die-shots, i'd think so.

But I believe the current estimated flop count to be higher now than the initial estimate of 176GFLOPS.

Thraktor

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Either DF is correct and there is a lot of crazy custom hardware on there, or DF isn't and more of those units are shaders, TMUs, ROPs, etc., than they think. I'm leaning towards the latter, because I can't think of any reasonable explanation for dedicating such a huge portion of the die to non-core GPU functionality.

Anyway, I'll go back to my own thread, where we're (I hope) a little less hasty to jump to conclusions.

jett

D-Member
No, I find it annoying that somehow developing for Wii makes you some kind of lesser person when speaking of tech.

They have only worked on Nintendo hardware. Just because you want them to be it doesn't make Shin'en an eminence in this matters.

Well, at least now we have some (somewhat) reliable information to go on, and it's pretty damn disappointing. What's even more disappointing to me, though, is that we shouldn't be going through all this effort to know what we're buying. If you're releasing a piece of technology, release the specs along with it. Keeping consumers (and developers, if the article is right) in the dark always rubs me the wrong way.

mgcastro

So WiiU won't be able to run any PS4/720 games like the Wii couldn't run PS3/360?

I think the console could run those PS4/720 games with downgrades, but the question is, will developers bother to port?

I think this year will be critical for Wii U. Once 3rd party games for the next consoles are announced we will finally where Wii U stands on that front.

Well, at least now we have some (somewhat) reliable information to go on, and it's pretty damn disappointing. What's even more disappoint to me, though, is that we shouldn't be going through all this effort to know what we're buying. If you're releasing a piece of technology, release the specs along with it. Keeping consumers (and developers, if the article is right) in the dark always rubs me the wrong way.

People here can't even fully understand what is going on with the system, what benefit would it be to make all the information public to consumers, most of whom either don't care about such raw numbers or wouldn't understand them???

They have only worked on Nintendo hardware. Just because you want them to be it doesn't make Shin'en an eminence in this matters.

So Naughty Dog doesn't know technology then since they've only worked on Sony hardware for the last 17 years? Or does their 3DO and Apple computer development from the early 90s and 80s give them the expertise they need?

And now the shameless vultures descend to sip the blood left over from the good work done by a few members of this board. Awaiting the mega-controversial follow-up from Kotaku tomorrow.

You may not have to wait that long. There's already a short post with a link to the Eurogamer article.

After the gpu photos/info yesterday (well done guys) I was gonna post something in the lines of "incoming DF article - WiiU not next-gen!!".

OK...

I demand an article/feature on how f***ing awesome the WiiU gamepad is. Dual screen/Off-TV gaming is really a revelation yet most media seems to ignore it - unless ofcourse Orbungo introduce similar controllers.

I really dig EG/DF but I sometimes don't understand the way they handle Nintendo-related news/features.

Their content could be WiiU-less for days/weeks, then out of nohere you see a first-page WiiU mega-article, of "questionable" importance.

Mael

Ah, I think you're right. I just remember that term being thrown around a lot back in 2005 in reference to Nintendo choosing to take the low-tech route. In any case, that's what I meant, the fact that they're downplaying graphical prowess to pursue a more prominent feature again (This time exchanging motion controls for the unique controller)

BOS is not about tech or uniqueness or what have you, it's about value proposition.
WiiU doesn't follow BOS because it has the same value proposition as its competitors.
Read up on it, that's also a good way to start into disruption or "woops we totally didn't that coming and now we're broke" of various companies.

People here can't even fully understand what is going on with the system, what benefit would it be to make all the information public to consumers, most of whom either don't care about such raw numbers or wouldn't understand them???

At the very least, (and of course this is not confirmed) Nintendo should have fully released the specs of the console to 3rd parties. If they didn't and 3rd parties were left in the dark it could explain the problems with launch games even though Wii U is stronger.

jett

D-Member
So Naughty Dog doesn't know technology then since they've only worked on Sony hardware for the last 17 years? Or does their 3DO and Apple computer development from the early 90s and 80s give them the expertise they need?

Having experience on just the Wii and the DS is a bit different.

Reading through this thread , you will realize why Nintendo gets away with this crap. See people defending "But I bought for first party anyway and gameplay>>graphics" as if both are mutually exclusives.

Same people then were in a big circle jerk quoting x.gif in every thread.

I am a total Nintendo Fan always have been always will love those games but the Wii U basically sold me on PS4 without Sony even lifting a finger.

Playing 3rd Party games on Wii U the last few months made me rethink my one console per generation investment. I don't want a PS4 I NEED one! IF this trend goes down the line for core Nintendo fans they will have a problem in the near future.

We don't have to defend Wii U, to Nintendo the leap from Wii to Wii U is huge they don't have to look outside their own hardware. But if you love games it is time to rethink what is best for your hobby. If you love Nintendo and you enjoy games in general get a PS4 to sit next to that Wii U.

Nintendo will deliver PS4 level graphics in what 7 years from now? I turn 40 this year, I don't have the time to wait because of my blind Nintendo love. Gotta Go, Gotta Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom