• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

septicore

OP

Game 51: Shadow Warrior 2 (PC) 02/11/16 - 16/11/16 10 Hours
Wang is back and is still as funny as ever. The first Shadow Warrior was more of a traditional FPS game but this time they have changed the formula of the game, they made it into an FPS looter driven game a bit like the Borderland series. I had fun playing it with my usual online co-op partner but I don't think he had much fun because I was hosting and the game only progressed for me but not for him, so he had to progress the game alone whenever we weren't playing it together. I really liked all the new weapons they had included but I felt the customised system was really confusing at first and needed more explaining. I didn't enjoy the story of the game as much as I did the first one and the ending felt like it stopped on a cliffhanger and maybe they'll have some DLC in the future to continue it.

Game 52: Sara Is Missing (Android) 15/11/16 - 17/11/16
An interesting game I found which kinda reminded me of the game, Her Story. The game's interface uses an iPhone look a like interface and you have an A.I. on the phone trying to find the owner of the phone you found somewhere. You go through the phone to look to investigate what happened to her and where she should be and such. You go through all the various apps like you would on a normal phone and sometimes given choices of text you want to use to send to the A.I. or who you're trying to message. The game is short and I'm not sure if I got an ending or the game is just incomplete right now.

Seems like I have managed to complete 52 games for the year with a month and a bit remaining to go. I played a mix of long and short games, probably a lot of short games which probably padded the 52 games but they're still games IMO.

Gonna keep continuing playing more games for the remaining of the year and beat my backlog.

m9PP4Ep.png

10h-ish. Brutal Doom mod. Completed game in Hurt me Plenty.

I'm going to get lynched for this, but I think that, as a whole, Doom II is not as well-rounded as Doom. This is mostly the 2nd Chapter's fault: while the 1st Chapter is more of the standard Doom goodness, the 2nd Chapter tries to do something different embracing non-linearity and an "urban" setting.

This transforms a rapid, fast-paced shooter in a confusing mess that will make you spend hours looking for that elusive Exit or that arbitrarily placed key, sacrificing all semblance of pacing in the process.

Luckily, the 3rd Chapter is basically the highlight of the saga so far, and redeems the whole game for me.

Updated OP

Updated. For the first time since starting in 2013 I've hit 52 games completed!

OP

Here's the update

Game 38: 8/12/16 Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (Wii U)
Game 39: 8/21/16 Bound (PS4)
Game 40: 9/9/16 Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PC)
Game 41: 9/17/16 Destiny: The Taken King (PS4)
Game 42: 9/24/16 Destiny: The Rise of Iron (PS4)
Game 43: 9/25/16 Streets of Rage 3 (Xbox One)
Game 44: 10/1/16 Inside (PS4)
Game 45: 10/5/16 Dragon Quest IV (3DS)
Game 46: 10/9/16 Muramasa Rebirth (Vita)
Game 47: 10/10/16 Gears of War 4 (PC)
Game 48: 10/14/16 Batman VR (PS4)
Game 49: 10/15/16 Rez Infinite (PS4)
Game 50: 11/5/16 Silent Hill 2 (PS2)
Game 51: 11/15/16 Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
Game 52: 11/19/16 TItanfall 2 (PS4)

eot

Banned
m9PP4Ep.png

10h-ish. Brutal Doom mod. Completed game in Hurt me Plenty.

I'm going to get lynched for this, but I think that, as a whole, Doom II is not as well-rounded as Doom. This is mostly the 2nd Chapter's fault: while the 1st Chapter is more of the standard Doom goodness, the 2nd Chapter tries to do something different embracing non-linearity and an "urban" setting.

This transforms a rapid, fast-paced shooter in a confusing mess that will make you spend hours looking for that elusive Exit or that arbitrarily placed key, sacrificing all semblance of pacing in the process.

Luckily, the 3rd Chapter is basically the highlight of the saga so far, and redeems the whole game for me.

Updated OP

I always get bogged down in some key hunt in Doom 2, I don't think I've finished it

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3
Original Post - Part 4

#48: Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: 12.1 hours
At it's best, Jedi Knight is a good but ultimately inferior sequel to Dark Forces. The weapons don't feel as good, and the grenades are way harder to use properly. There's a lot more falling down pits in the level design too.

At it's worse Jedi Knight is a terrible lightsaber battle game. The system is advanced for its time but it's still just a melee weapon you can occasionally block shots with. The lightsaber duel boss fights are easily the least fun part of the game especially since there's not a lot of feedback on how you're doing. I didn't find much use for my Force powers either because it's easier to just shoot people.

Preview: I was a few levels away from finishing Kingdom Rush and then Pokemon came out so it's on hold. I was going to play Dishonored next but I'm not buying it until it actually works on PC.

I always get bogged down in some key hunt in Doom 2, I don't think I've finished it

I think I got stuck in level 13 (Downtown, the one that is basically a bunch of buildings on a street) three times in the last year before finally beating the game. Seriously, those levels bring the whole game down.

Dryk

I think I got stuck in level 13 (Downtown, the one that is basically a bunch of buildings on a street) three times in the last year before finally beating the game. Seriously, those levels bring the whole game down.
"That doesn't sound famili..." <Google Images> "OH GOD I REMEMBER NOW"

original post

Monster_hunter_generations_cover_art.jpg

Game 49: Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - 80 hours

The new combat options might make this the most fun to play Monster Hunter to date. There's lots of content and decent new enemies. It's the culmination of the old series' traditions and a good sendoff. Well, hopefully it is. Because the basic foundation of this series now has gone beyond its zenith. For the next installment, I can't be bothered to deal with mini-maps that kick you out anytime a monster is too close to its exit, archaic menu systems whose clutter stopped making sense a long time ago, or Generation 6 graphics.

This game was a fun last ride, but after this one, it desperately needs to see a complete restructuring.

jnWake

Main Post

Game #21: F-Zero (SNES VC)
Time Played: 4:57 hours.
Completion Reached: Cleared the 3 circuits in Standard Difficulty.

F-Zero is a high speed racing game originally released at the SNES' launch. It was one of the first showcases of the "Mode 7" technology that is also used in Super Mario Kart. Anyway, gameplay in F-Zero has you racing at high speeds through challenging tracks that feature crazy jumps, tight curves, wind, magnets and other hazards. One of the main mechanics in F-Zero is that your vehicle has health that deplenishes as you crash against other racers or the walls. If your health reaches zero your vehicle explodes and you have the restart the race. Controls for the game are surprisingly good, letting you do very sharp turns at high speeds if you time your acceleration correctly.

Despite the good controls of the game, I didn't enjoy my experience that much due to a combination of a few aspects. First, F-Zero has insane rubber banding. You can drive perfectly but make one mistake and all the racers are right behind you, especially at higher difficulties. Also, there's a very annoying mechanic where random vehicles spawn in front of you just to act as hazards which is super frustrating. Now, combine these random vehicles with the bumping mechanics and the rubberbanding and you get a very very frustrating single player experience. I initially wanted to clear Expert difficulty but it was too much of a pain...

Game #22: Rayman 3D (3DS).
Time Played: 11:05 hours.
Completion Reached: Cleared the game with all collectibles.

Rayman 3D is a port of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, a game originally released for the N64 and later ported to many consoles. Rayman 2 was the second game in the Rayman franchise and its first 3D platformer. Gameplay is very standard for a 3D platformer having you jump, glide and shoot through several levels while searching for collectibles and battling enemies.

One of the interesting things about Rayman 3D is that levels are much more linear and action focused than those of other platformers from the 64 era. Instead of big worlds with lots of exploration, Rayman 3D has you quickly clearing different obstacles, which include standard platforming, battling against robots, sliding sections, riding bullet shells and other random stuff. There's a lot of variety that manages to keep the game interesting.

Presentation is also pretty cool. Although the graphics aren't really noteworthy, the music is very good and the game has a bit more focus on story with many cutscenes that showcase the goofy side of Rayman's world. Rayman 2 also introduced many recurring elements of the franchise like Globox, the lums and the teensies.

Overall, Rayman 3D is a pretty good game. Sometimes it relies on gimmicks for difficulty too much and collectibles can be a pain in the ass to get but for the most part it's quite fun. I'd recommend it to fans of 3D platformers.

ta155

Been a long time since I posted in here so plenty to add to the list... (not completely in the right order)

25. Inside (Xbox One)

Much preferred it to Limbo and at the time of completion was my game of the year. I don't have a bad word to say about it. Every single frame felt hand crafted - incredible art design.

Puzzles were great, animation was stunning, and the last half an hour was unforgettable.

26. Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

This was an absolute joy to play. It controls perfectly, the combat is super fun, and the weapons are great. The writing was genuinely funny and it's the best looking game on PS4.

27. LEGO Dimensions (PS4)

My favourite LEGO game since the original Star Wars titles. As someone who adores the vast majority of the licences, it would be pretty much my dream game if it didn't still have some of the classic LEGO problems. Year Two off to a strong start, so still playing.

28. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One)

First CoD I'd played since Black Ops and enjoyed it for the most part. Kevin Spacey definitely added some gravitas to the story and the new movement mechanics felt pretty good. Still looked quite impressive, too.

29. Gears of War 4 (Xbox One)

Did not like the ending at all, from both a story and a gameplay perspective, but other than that I thought the campaign was excellent. Could've done with a bit more variety in the level design and enemy encounters, thought it was lacking there compared to Gears 2 and 3, but a huge step up in terms of production values - characters, writing, visuals, etc.

30. Battlefield 1 (Xbox One)

A fairly unremarkable campaign but I appreciated the unique way in which it was structured and it did a decent job of teaching me the ropes for multiplayer, which I am super enjoying.

31. Firewatch (PS4)

I really liked it until the ending, which I thought was really unsatisfying and didn't do justice to either the characters or the story itself. It also ran terribly on PS4, which was a real shame considering how good the art design was.

cQ0HfV9.png

40h-ish. As I'm not a completionist, I mostly ignored challenges unless I found them along the way. Got my base to max-level in all episodes though.

Dragon Quest Builders is one of a kind. It's so easy to compare it to Minecraft if you never played it - but it's actually closer to a very japanese 3D Terraria, having a focus on building rooms appropiate to your NPCs' needs instead of exploring for rare minerals and natural wonders.

Aside from the base-building, the gamepay is sort of a simple hack-and-slash, and the game is surely not going to win any rewards for the quality of its scriptwiting, but it's simply so damn charming that it's become one of my fast favourites this year.

Updated OP

Sendou

Yikes haven't posted an update in a while.

9_superhotuvjtk.png

SUPERHOT July 17th

When I played the demo of this game I fell love in love with the concept. The final product is a good game no doubt about that but not a great one. The core gameplay is so compelling but in my experience it has two faults. First of all it's hard to keep track of your surroundings and as a result many of your attempts end at getting shot in the back which I don't think is very fun. Additionally connecting shots can be hard due to the lack of movement because you don't know how fast the enemy is moving exactly. So many good things to talk about too. The overall atmosphere and story makes the game so unnerving in the best possible way. Some Steam reviews had an issue with the lenght but to be honest I was done before the game ended. Actually I lost progress at the final level so I decided to stop there. Might return when I get my first VR headset though. The game seems perfect for that.

10_borderlandtalesgbx08.png

Tales from the Borderlands August 18th

I had such a blast playing this game. There's still a soft spot in my heart to some of the games Telltale puts out. Usual gripes regarding their games still apply but I don't think they need to be repeated. Where it matters this game shines - really funny and interesting story. Special mention goes to the soundtrack as well which they really nailed.

11_firewatchd8z6q.png

Firewatch August 30th

This game really spooked me! Somehow the isolation and the
feeling of being watched
got to me. Ending was different from what I expected but I don't really have strong feelings about it one way or another. I think it fits the game quite well. Really gorgeous game. Since Wind Waker HD I haven't been compelled to take pictures in the game but Firewatch's nature was too pretty to resist. Certainly one of the best walking simulators I have played.

12_fatesbirthright11psz.png

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright September 12th

Being a big fan of Awakening I had big expectations for this game. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Awakening but I still had some jolly good time. Some gripes include uneven difficulty curve and dumb story. Yet Fire Emblem series will always have a special place in my heart and this game does nothing to change that. I might return to play the other campaigns later.

13_nsmb2e3plo.png

New Super Mario Bros. 2 September 16th

It's a Mario game alright. I liked Wii U's NSMB games more. This one lacks challenge. Yet it's very polished and I enjoyed my time with it. The coin gimmick wasn't integrated in any meaningful way.

14_growhomezfuq0.png

Grow Home September 21st

This game took me by a surprise! At first I had no idea what to do but slowly I started to understand what was going on. Really surprised to play such a "lowkey" title from Ubisoft. Actual controls didn't always feel the best but I soon learned to play around them. Some parts of the game really gave me "Nintendo-vibes".

15_yoshikxpka.png

Yoshi's Woolly World November 2nd

Played this one in co-op. Such a cute game! One of the best artstyles in any games ever. Platforming is solid as you'd expect from a Nintendo game. Finding collectables was fun for most parts but you could notice they designed some of the collectables in a way that they're very hard to get in the first playthrough so longevity to the game. Not a fan of this kind of design but this is a very small gripe.

16_doomsfr2y.png

DOOM (2016) November 3rd

What a contrast to Yoshi. Just gore for the sake of gore. Feels like the kind of game that realized that sometimes making the best game means looking at the past. Doesn't try to be something it isn't but just offers fun FPS campaign. Multiplayer feels like a bad joke relative to how much attention it got pre-release. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

17_hitmanzdyfg.png

Hitman - Season 1 November 23rd

Tried getting into Hitman with Blood Month in the past but with no success. This game on the other hand made me a fan. The scale of the levels and the possibilities developers have put in make it a very exciting game to explore and play. Really enjoyed the variety of locale in the first season. Think my favorite was the last mission set in Hokkaido. Overall I liked the writing. Good balance between jokes and "serious" stuff. Will probably keep replaying missions and doing elusive targets leading towards Season 2 launch.

18_krivfinalh5y01.png

Kentucky Route Zero - Act IV November 23rd

One of those experiences that can't very well be explained with words. So instead I'll just say I liked what I played and I wholeheartedly recommend KRZ. Not bothered by the long wait times between episodes personally. Huge huge props for perfect 21:9 support.

Shelved: Broforce

Master Post

aCPGZrJ.png

Game 50: Titanfall 2 - 6 hours - November 15, 2016
Believe the hype. Titanfall 2 really is that good. On a whim I rented the game from Redbox and ended up finishing the campaign in an evening. There might be a temptation to criticize Titanfall 2 for the campaign actually being so short you can finish it in an evening, but I was quite pleased to be left wanting more rather than having it padded out and kill its own momentum. And momentum is indeed the name of the game here. Even with a few sections of walk-and-talk, the game hurtles along at a brilliant pace, introducing new locales and mechanics in practically every mission. I honestly haven't played a campaign that felt this fresh and invigorating in years. I only wish that EA had released the game at another time of the year so I wouldn't have to skimp on playing the multiplayer. I played two matches (to get the trophies heh) and what I played seemed pretty excellent, a few netcode niggles aside. Here's to hoping Respawn gets a greenlight for TF3 and that it doesn't get screwed!
Should I play Titanfall 2? It's a no-brainer, you're asking whether you should play one of this year's potential GOTY picks!

mp1990

Banned
Late for the challenge this year, as I didn't expect to have enough time for it, but I ended up having more than enough to beat 52 games, so here's my list ^^:

#1 Steins;Gate

header.jpg

Very nice visual novel, although it takes a bit for things to start flowing. The game's take on time travelling is very unusual and interesting, and it conveys a feeling of anxiety and desperation very well throughout its main character.

#2 Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Ediiton

header.jpg

Sixth time having beaten it, not as charming as before but still a solid metroidvania.

#3 Downwell

header.jpg

Incredible game. Really a marvelous attempt at doing more with less.

#4 Oxenfree

header.jpg

Could've easily been one of my favorite of the year, had it not been for the disappointing ending. Yet, I do not regret playing it, as it does some very cool things thematically.

#5 Crypt of the Necrodancer

header.jpg

One of the weirdest mix of genres ended up being one of most positively surprises I had this year. Great stuff.

#6 F.E.A.R

Is-Project-Hades-Monoliths-Next-FEAR-Game.jpg

Despite the horrendous aesthetic, it's one of the best FPS I've played. The weapons feedback is unmatched.

#7 Assault Android Cactus

header.jpg

Very interesting and well design twin stick shooter, where moving yourself to survive is mechanically reinforced. Also, the characters design is A+.

#8 Momodora 3

header.jpg

Short but sweet game. Adorable artstyle coupled with simple yet responsive and fun gameplay.

#9 Risk of Rain

header.jpg

Oh man this one is SO good. I'm a sucker for anything roguelite but RoR got me hooked up like no other before.

#10 Read Only Memories

header.jpg

Incredible adventure/point and click game. The story is very intriguing, and it manages to deals with progressive themes with a lot of nuance.

#11 Mini Metro

header.jpg

Made me lose my mind.

#12 NOT A HERO

header.jpg

This one is cool, but could've done with some more polish. Controls can feel a bit too slippery at times and hit detection isn't very good.

#13 Sonic Lost World

header.jpg

You know everything that makes Mario Galaxy great? Responsive controls, beautiful scenarios, good level design, consistent planets? Lost World isn't anything like that, but it tries really hard and fails miserably.

#14 Shovel Knight

header.jpg

Playing it for the second time, and I finally "get" what people see in it. Breaking it down would require someone who is better with words than I am, but it's a incredible game that deserves all the praise it gets.

#15 One Finger Death Punch

header.jpg

Another game that does a lot with less, and very addicting too.

#16 Portal

header.jpg

Beat it for the first time, and man this game does so much right. The game design is impeccable, and the pacing which mechanics are presented and then coupled with others to form greater challenges is seriously so impressive.

#17 Super Mario Sunshine

mariosunshine_guide_ORIGINAL.jpg

I like this game a lot, but I feel like I will only "get" it once I replay it, because most of my time with it I was fighting the controls, and once I go through it over again it'll be smooth sailing.

#18 Virtue's Last Reward

This is one that I definitely didn't expect to like nearly as much as I did. It does a lot better than 999; the cast is better developed, and the separate endings definitely helps with that; and the story is overall less cluttered and better paced, with the ending not being a exposition mess where all arcs are explained.

#19 Ratched & Clank

original.jpg

This one I like way less than I wanted. I'm a sucker for Ratchet, but it felt too short and shallow, compared to A Crack In Time, which was so complete and well rounded. I do look forward to whatever Insomniac do in the future, but can't say I didn't left a bit disappointed.

#20 Gravity Rush

27177-teaser1.jpg

This one is kinda bad, but it had enough redeeming qualities for me to not hate it. The gravity powers are really cool and flying through the city is marvelous, but GOD the combat sucks. It's just a repetitive mess. Doesn't help that the story is... a big whole of nothing, and ends on the most bullshit note ever, but the characters are really charismatic and I want to see what direction they will took in the sequel.

#21 Overwatch

Overwatch is so good!!!!!!! I haven't got ino a MP game in a long-ass time, but this one is just the right spin on TF2 to hook me up again.

#22 Rocket League

header.jpg

It's cool, but there isn't much to it. Had my share of fun but either you get really good and addicted to it, or the formula wears out pretty quickly.

#23 INSIDE

header.jpg

INSIDE is frightening, impacting and unique. There's lot to be discussed about what all of it means, but I found it to be much more symbolic than most people, and that's whats so cool about it.

#24 Zero Time Dilemma

header.jpg

Solid entry to the franchise and worth conclusion, but didn't feel as impacting as 999, nor as "intimate" as VLR.

#25 Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Digimon-Story-%E2%80%93-Cyber-Sleuth-600x300.jpg

Not sure whether or not I consider this one a great game, but I did have a nice time with it. Capturing monsters and evolving and de-digivolving is pretty fun, although it all breaks down to a very shallow game. Also, the localization must be the worst I've seen in a long time, unfortunately.

#26 Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae

header.jpg

Bayonetta-ish action character with cute girls in sailor uniforms, what's not to like?

#27 Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds

header.jpg

Mindless hack n slash, but the presentation is nice and I had a good time with it.

#28 Kirby Super Star

WTXokNc.png

My first Kirby game! It's really cool, even though in retrospect it's not nearly as fun as the later games. I like how the game is divided into 5 "mini-games", but the partner mechanic feels a bit off.

#29 Headlander

header.jpg

Very cool Metroid-esque game, the gameplay is very fluid and fun so it's really compelling to play and explore. The endings blows though, I had no idea what happened in the game by the time I finished it.

#30 Portal 2

header.jpg

One interesting thing about replaying Portal 2 for, like, the fifth time, is that, although I still hold it as one of the best games of all time, it feels like the lesser game in comparison to the first one, which I have now played; it's not as laser-focused, and some things in it don't mesh very well.

#31 Va-11 Hall-A

2864410-vall.jpg

The only good thing to come from this year.

#32 ABZU

header.jpg

This one really stood out for being a chill game, among so many nerve wracking games this year. Had a cool time with it, looking forward to replaying it.

#33 Reigns

header.jpg

For an iOS game, it's neat.

#34 Ape Escape 2

This game has some really spectacular ideas, but it mishandles most of them. The gadgets are cool, but it narrows down to only 3 of them later in the game, and the design overall feels a bit unfocused. I really want to play the sequel to see how they worked on those problems.

#35 Super Mario 3D Land

Needed some Mario goodness, so I decided to replay this one. I'll always be grateful to it for have presented me to the franchise, but in all honesty, 3D World runs circles around it.

#36 Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: I hate this game so much I won't even add an image for it NEXT

#37 The Turing Test

header.jpg

Honestly, if you have ever had contact with anything sci fi that deals with AIs, you know what this game is about. Could've done a lot more with what they had.

#38 Epistory: Typing Chronicles

header.jpg

Sweet Zelda-like adventure, and the story is surprisingly heartwarming.

#39 Kirby Squeak Squad

Kirby_-_Squeak_Squad_Coverart.png

Definitely the most straightforward of the Kirby games I've played so far, but that's not a bad thing. Very fun and compelling, and it looks really nice too.

#40 Ace Attorney Investigations

edgeworth_review_10.jpg

For all its issues, it's the AA game I've most enjoyed in awhile. Edgeworth is a great character, and his interactions with the cast, especially Gumshoe, are some bits of great writing I doubt this franchise will ever reach again. The final case is a bit of a hit or miss, but overall I had a great time with it.

#41 BOXBOY!

boxboy_1.jpg

Why Good Level Design Is Important: The Game

#42 Kirby's Adventure

kirby-adventure.jpg

The first NES game I actually beat. And I choose a pretty good one to start with! Could easily be a SNES game, because it just looks stunning. Solid levels and great OST just adds to it.

#43 Rez Infinite

jpg

The first "experience" game to actually have an impact on me.

#44 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

ocarina-of-time.jpg

As I expected, all those edge lords on the internet saying this game was bad were wrong, it holds up magnificently well, definitely one of the best games I've played the entire year.

#45 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

paper_mario_ttyd_by_shadowlink92.png

My first time with the series, and I can totally understand the flak the new games get. Such a diverse cast of remarkable characters, and with very witty and fun dialogue, and the mechanics are a very interesting twist on the turn-based combat, giving the player more agency over it, instead of just being the bigger numbers winning over the smaller ones.

#46 Rhythm Heaven Megamix

OH, YOU GO BIG GUY!

#47 Final Fantasy X

header.jpg

For all its issues, which are plenty, I had a hell of a time with this one. Many of the themes dealt in the game resonated with me.

#48 Kirby Triple Deluxe

Incredible game. Kirby's usual greatness, alongside a REALLY awesome gimmick. I had a blast with it.

#49 Rhythm Heaven

B001P1ZE68_logo.jpg

Interesting how having the stylus to play a part in the game completely changes its dynamic. You feel like you're more in control of your rhythm, and although that ramps up the difficulty quite a bit, I really liked it.

#50 Yokai Watch 2

The best game that no one will be talking about of this year. The f2p-ish elements annoyed me a bit, but overall it's lots of fun.

#51 Kirby Planet Robobot

Oh yeah, the other good thing to have happened this year.

#52 Rise of the Tomb Raider

29629178584_562fc7d520_z.jpg

Aaaaand I finished the challenge on a bad note. Very dull game that would be considerably better had it been more focused, and didn't try to be so many things at the same time. Also, SE really needs a better writer for this franchise.

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3
Original Post - Part 4

#49: Duet: 3.9 hours
Duet sounds like a simple concept, dodge the falling blocks. But it has a devious twist, you control two dots on the opposite sides of a circle. By rotating your dots you can dodge things, but if you rotate too far you'll just hit the other side.

The game has a ton of very short levels (10-20 seconds) and they have to be that long because it can be very hard to react to things as they come. It's always technically possible (after you learn the new mechanics) but it requires you to focus on what's coming instead of what you're trying to dodge so in practice I died a lot and trial-and-errored my way through most of the game.

I didn't finish everything in the end. There are 3 main story modes which all have unique levels and then a few small sets of challenge levels. I didn't finish the last four challenge levels which are extra long and have blocks that turn invisible, but I gave them a try.

Preview: Getting a bit sick spending hours eeking out a win on the last few bonus levels of Kingdom Rush so I might write that up soon. Also up to Diglett's Tunnel in Pokemon

marcincz

Game #46: The Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 (XBO) - 10:18 h - 26/10/2016
Brillant Halo game. In my opinion the best game in this series. That was my second playthrough of this title. Currently I adore it, but approx. 10 years ago I simply hate it. Huge step forward from Halo 1. Fantastic Arbiter sections and amazing remastered movies.

Game #47: The Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 (XBO) - 07:30 h - 02/11/2016
For many people the best Halo. For me second the best (behind H2). Still very good game and still very good looking. Besides coop of human and elites is very enjoyable.

Game #48: The Master Chief Collection: Halo 4 (XBO) - 08:07 h - 11/11/2016
Beginning of the new trilogy? No Bungie? Yes, that's true. Few strange ideas, insanity of Cortana and a new enemy. Great at the initial missions, but later wasn't so good.

Game #49: Soccer Kid (GBA) - 04:17 h - 13/11/2016
One of my favourite games on Amiga 500. Finally I had a chance to beat and I did it. I am very glad, because on Amiga `20 years ago, I was able to beat only first and second "chapter".

Game #50: Metro 2033 Redux (PS4) - 11:03 h - 23/11/2016
I heard many good and positive opinions about this game. Colleages of mine, told me, this title is very hard on x360. So I bought Redux edition on PS4, which is...easier. Althought game is probably easier I think it's still hard. Story is fine, but I expected something better. Especially the end was very disappointed in my opinion.

Original Post

Master Post

VhHZk24.png

Game 51: Dishonored Definitive Edition (with The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches) - 20 hours - November 18-21, 2016
Absolute brilliance. There's really no other way to describe Dishonored. I will admit that in the first hour or so, I was feeling very restricted by the stealth gameplay. But as I got more and more into the game, I began to realize that playing the game as an action-adventure game with stealth was the wrong way to look at it. I started looking at the game as a dynamic puzzle game, and it all just came to life for me. The story is honestly pretty meh, but the level design, gameplay and lore is just delightfully good. I was shocked that the DLC is even just as good (if not better in some spots) as the main campaign.
Should I play Dishonored? If you don't appreciate stealth mechanics, no. But otherwise, for sure!

Main post

Game #141: Cut the Rope Experiments (Android) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;

Cut the Rope Experiments is a really great sequel - suffering ever-so-slightly from the fatigue that will eventually be demonstrated down the list, but overall it still felt like a solid effort by the designers to make an interesting, innovative game.

Game #142: Wreck-It Ralph (Android) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

This is the odd-game out of the bunch, with every other game in this post being a Cut the Rope game. It's actually pretty decent for what was probably a quick, small licensed game that had to work within certain restrictions (ie, since it is explicitly based on a game that we see in the film, it has to adhere to its rules). It's nothing I'd find long-lasting value in, mind you, but it is neat and briefly enjoyable.

(that image is a little racist huh)

Game #143: Cut the Rope: Time Travel HD (Android) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

For me, this is where the series started to feel as though it was going in a bad direction. I would definitely be lying if I claimed that there was nothing to enjoy or that there was not a lot of innovation - there most definitely is - but at the same time, it felt like it either was not enough in some areas, or that it was too much in others.

Game #144: Cut the Rope Magic (Android) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

Yeah, this one had me feeling kinda bleh. A little too over-complicated, though it was incredibly novel to me that the monster was an object in the puzzle that usually had to be moved in some way, rather than a target for the candy. The antagonist creature was a nice touch as well, I liked those puzzles quite a bit.

Game #000: Cut the Rope 2 (Android) - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;

This one I could not even stomach finishing. It was not a bad game - it was my least favorite of the ones I played, but it certainly wasn't bad - but the gimmicks just feel forced now, leading me to give up on it (also in part because of how they have you replay the levels twice to get all nine stars).

jiggles

Banned
Woah, haven't updated this in a while.

Archive Post

header8aaev.jpg

Game 32 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
I have mixed feelings about this remaster of Modern Warfare. On the one hand, it's a great port. It looks pretty nice and runs great. On the other hand, it's aged pretty poorly. It shows some flashes of what made the game brilliant 9 years ago, in that the in-game tutorial/difficulty setter has yet to be bettered, and the "drop in" from satellite footage at the start of some levels is still an impressive and awesome effect. But the enemy AI is shite, the difficulty is all over the place, and there's simply not a lot to it. I appreciate that this is perhaps the most influential game in a decade, but what was once an incredible take on a millitary shooter is now just so... ordinary. Shame, because I hadn't played it since then and it definitely didn't hold up as well as I was expecting, but it should still be worth it for the classic-flavour multiplayer.

headernhadd.jpg

Game 33 - Grow Home [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
I've tried Grow Home a handful of times before but bounced off it. The ropey performance on PS4, coupled with the barebones presentation and physics jank just gave it a real amateur, "early access" vibe. That's all still present, but this time I coupled it with a Spotify playlist and it transformed the game into a relaxing, tactile experience with a super-chill atmosphere. Once you get used to the camera-based controls, the act of scrambling around the floating rocks in Grow Home is endlessly satisfying. The glimmering crystals you spot in seemingly impossible positions all become obtainable through BUD's godlike climbing abilities. They're optional, but you get some really useful powerups to aid your traversal if you find them, and the contrast between how moved before and after each makes them feel really liberating. It's short, but it's a feelgood time that's perfect to play through on a Saturday morning.

1465993852171-god-of-ljjb1.jpg

Game 34 - God of War III Remastered [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;
Good grief, this does not hold up well on a repeat playthrough. The PS3 version was, at the time, a riotous spectacle of solid action, with incredible visuals at an impossible scale. This remaster, though, ugh. It's a competent port, for sure. The unwavering 1080/60 delivery looks great. The combat was still pretty fun and it has some cool enemy design. But for all the gruesome vengeance Kratos enacts on the road to Mount Olympus, the most graphic butchery you'll see is in the script. Every line is lazy, every character without motivation. It opens with a panning shot of the gods, all lined up and smirking like a team of Saturday morning cartoon villains, and proceeds to somehow go downhill from there, with utter contempt for both the source material and the player's intelligence. They ended the second game with the (shocking?) revelation that Zeus was Kratos' father, and the characters in this jaw at Kratos like he's been a thorn in their side since he was a toddler. Hercules bellows, in some of the greatest writing of our time, "You were always Zeus' favourite!" while trying to kill his recently-revealed brother, as Hera warns "Now, you boys play nice..." from the arena's stands. Stellar. Then in the closing scenes, which honestly must drag on for like a million hours, you're fed pretty much every line of dialogue in the game again as Kratos takes care of his weekly battle with his inner demons. The game cuts back to Pandora saying "hope is what makes us strong!" no less than twice in 10 minutes, before a closing conversation with Athena reveals that, Kratos, the hope was inside you all along! You just have to believe!

u havin' a fuckin' laugh, mate?

headerp6r40.jpg

Game 35 - Evolve: Stage 2 [PC] &#9733;&#9733;
Not so much a game I've beat, but a game I'm done with, now that Turtle Rock have announced they are too. Evolve was a troubled game from the start, and not for the reasons the developers think. They have pointed to the "micro"transaction fuckery 2K enforced on them as the reason it was stillborn, but in truth, the problem was with the game itself. Evolve can at times be incredible. Being hunted in a 4v1 situation is both exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure, and it has some good ideas on the hunter side with the monster scaring birds or being able to create custom weakpoints on it with the sniper. But the sad thing is, the fun moments are so few and far between that it's simply not a game worth bothering with. Either the monster gets found right away and they're killed before they had a chance, or the hunters spend 25 minutes chasing it in circles before either side loses in a clusterfuck of a final battle. You seldom have control of what role you play, the downtime between matches is way too long, and all the combat feels imprecise and ineffective. A great game in theory, but the more time spent playing it the harder it became to enjoy. Going Free to Play couldn't save it, and now nothing ever will.

cr1rat5xyaa2nttplpph.jpg

Game 36 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice[PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Another solid entry into the Ace Attorney saga, but not among the best of the series. Spirit of Justice suffers from leaning a little too hard into the supernatural spirit-medium stuff. It simply presents too many narrative backdoors, and in the last case in particular, it became almost impossible to keep a track of what the hell was going on. If a mystery story is a game between the reader and the author, then this is basically cheating. I'm almost entirely sure that the resolution of the final case is a massive plot hole, where the very bit of information that resolves the greater story arc should also have exonerated the true killer, but I can't say it with full conviction because it genuinely lost me in spirit medium fuckery. Spirit of Justice also has to pay lip-service to far too many legacy systems, from perceiving a witness' tells and forensic testing, to emotional therapy and psyche-locks. That they introduce a new gimmick on top of all this just (a seance that lets you witness the victim's final moments) just seems crazy. Still, the writing is mostly excellent, there are some real memorable moments, and the animation is as great as ever. That fourth case is a real howler, though. Like, worst-in-the-whole-series bad. It should never have made it through the localisation.

headerhwowp.jpg

Game 37 - Hacknet[PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
An absolutely glorious experience. Hacknet takes the framework of Uplink, removes all of the ballaches, adds a pretty convincing command-line interface, and wraps it all up in an engaging storyline. All while a thumping electronica soundtrack (that is honestly just as good as Hotline Miami's) keeps you hyped as fuck. It's Hollywood-style hacking, but it complements it with enough cyber-sleuthing that it feels continually rewarding. Even though most of the systems you break into only require use of a small handful of tools, when you get in there there's enough narrative threads and personal files that you always feel you're on to something new. Two huge highlights in the story will make you feel terrified and heartbroken, before an adrenaline-fuelled revenge-hack finale leaves you feeling like a total badass while the credits roll. I am Zero Cool, motherfucker.

titanfall-2jqp05.png

Game 38 - Titanfall 2 [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Sit up and take notice, Titanfall 2's single-player campaign is something really special. It's very reminiscent of Portal in that it feels like it's been meticulously edited to trim out all the filler and deliver the most pure, fun experience it can. It will often introduce new (and sometimes completely unexpected) gameplay systems just because they're cool and enjoyable, then throw them away in time for the next chapter, where you'll be doing something completely different. It's a highly varied campaign as a result, and plays at a breathtaking pace. One of the key moments is an incredible surprise, delivered with such perfect confidence, that I couldn't help grinning like a lunatic. Genuinely amazing. All this is to say nothing of it's fantastic multiplayer, which layers some interesting twists on unlocks and progression on top of an excellent core to drive players towards trying new things, and feeling empowered like no other shooter out there. Titanfall 2 feels like a landmark game. It tries to shake up the genre, to feel different and shift the focus back towards the player feeling great, and it pays off. It makes you feel like an utter badass every minute it's running, and you owe it to yourself to pick it up.

header1tq7o.jpg

Game 39 - Shadow Warrior 2 [PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
The first Shadow Warrior completely passed me by, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this. It makes a fantastic first impression, with its I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude and hyperactive gameplay, you zip around like a ninja fucking up everyone's shit, but everything slowly begins to grate, and then outright annoy. The heavy Diablo inspirations are apparent almost immediately. You start in your hub world, accept a quest, then head to some procedurally-generated dungeons to breeze through endless minions, with occasional tough groups (with random modifiers) popping up to slow your progress and give you a chance for a better loot drop. Around 2 hours in, you can be forgiven for getting excited about what the game has in store, but unfortunately, that's pretty much it. The puerile jokes stop being funny (apart from one Of Mice and Men reference at the ending that caught me completely off guard), the tasks and environments become really repetitive, and it all just starts feeling really empty. All style, no substance isn't quite accurate, because the base gameplay feels great, but it's close. Shadow Warrior 2 is a fun loot'n'shoot game that sadly outstays its welcome.

header8op7a.jpg

Game 40 - Hitman [PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
I don't know enough about the Hitman franchise to say whether or not this is the best in the series, but it's an excellent example of episodic content done right, and it provides a series of fun playgrounds for you to stealth around in and steal people's outfits. The confusingly-named Hitman (meaning "this year's Hitman game") provides you with six small-scale open word locales with 2 or more targets that you must assassinate in any way you damn well please to progress its story. It feeds you a selection of opportunities to allow you to be extra stylish or sneaky, but when it comes down to it, as long as they're dead and you're not, it doesn't matter what you choose. While the areas are a little more constrained than your typical open world affair, they're very densely packed with little touches and a helping of challenges and contracts that is, quite frankly, beyond generous. And that's before adding the user-created contacts into the mix. The episodic structure and genius addition of one-shot, time-limited elusive targets also gave the game a kind of continued relevancy that helped spur discussion around it. We were all in it together, basically. It falls just short of earning top marks due to its overbearing always-online requirement (particularly bad due to some server instabilities during busier days), incomprehensible story and AI that is absolutely dumb as shit. I get that the latter is probably intentional to make the game more forgiving, but when it's just as viable to shoot them with a silenced pistol and quickly pocket your weapon, putting the effort in to doing it right just doesn't feel as rewarding as it should. Still, Hitman is a game that is worth anyone's time. Full to the brim with neat touches and some dark laughs that just sort of fall out of the gameplay. If you're only getting around to it now, you've missed out on some of what made it truly special, but you should hopefully see enough flashes of brilliance that you're there with the rest of us for the next season.

header5qslb.jpg

Game 41 - Owlboy [PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
One of the most gorgeously-presented games I've ever seen, Owlboy was a real treat to behold from beginning to end. It's a 2D "platform" adventure (platform in quotes because you spend 99.9% of the game freely flying around) with the kind of pixel art we probably could have expected to be commonplace if we'd delayed the jump to 3D games by a generation. Owlboy tells the story of Otus, a half-boy half-owl mute that sets off on an adventure with his buddy Getty to uncover ancient owl relics and save their sky-village from sky-pirates. Otus recruits other friends along the way that he can team up with to use new abilities and get to previously inaccessible areas and repeat. It's never surprising, but there's a sweetness to it all that's incredibly comforting. It took 10 years to come out, but it has the production values to show for it, with excellent animation, smart writing, and an utterly majestic score. It's just a little bit of a shame that, for all the SNES-era memories and nostalgia the game evokes, the gameplay itself wasn't more memorable.

header0zs9z.jpg

Game 42 - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Bad stuff out of the way first: the multiplayer in this game is not very good. As an entry in a series that I pretty much exclusively buy for multiplayer these days, Infinite Warfare was, surprisingly, an instant turnoff when I took it online. Where Black Ops III felt a little different and offered novelty for the first dozen hours, it faltered by ending up unsatisfying in the long term. IW's multiplayer is pretty much a direct copy of the previous title's, so you skip right past the newness and straight to the tedium. It also doesn't help that it's in such unflattering company, with Titanfall 2's fun-first approach and glorious freedom of movement making Call of Duty feel like a cheap pretender. All that being said, though, the surprisingly bad multiplayer is offset by the surprisingly excellent campaign, which certainly takes strides to shake up the formulaic delivery of the series. Rather than simply play chapter to chapter like a regular narrative, you instead have control of your own star cruiser, with the crew and side missions and main story missions that come with it. The beats of the game are more skewed towards a Mass Effect experience than an annual shovel of CoD, and it's way better for it. You have these bursts of downtime where you can take in some audio logs, explore the ship, and perform some light housekeeping duties, before gearing up and hitting a mission with your buddies. Side missions offer permanent perks as incentives, so you're even technically levelling up like a typical RPG. You also have a solid cast of characters throughout, with Ethan (a robot companion that is basically a more humanoid clone of TARS from Interstellar) being the real highlight, and although the enemy you're up against is comically evil, it's not enough to ruin the game. The spaceflight controls for when you're flying your Jackal are a little... unexpected. It's not bad, but I'm not sure it's good either. It controls more like a Call of Duty character that can fly in zero-g than a vehicle, so it feels a little weird at first, but the dogfights are pretty easy, so it's inconsequential in the end, and those sections actually work well to break up the on-foot shooting galleries. All in all, it's a really good campaign. It has some breathtaking imagery with its space setting, and at one point, has a moment of unfettered genius in where they set a mission and how that affects gameplay. The only real issue I can have with it is its brevity. It's structured like a 25+ hour space-faring journey, but ultimately, has about as much content as every other game in the series. You blaze through all the side missions in no time at all, and then you're on to the final showdown. In hindsight, it makes the once-great missions look a little more pedestrian. 20 or so boarding missions across the game with some fun twists here and there would have been brilliant, but only 4 where they never really get out of 2nd gear? Not looking so hot by comparison. Regardless, it's still an excellent, memorable shooter campaign that I honestly didn't think this series had in it anymore.

222_banner5isxh.jpg

Game 43 - Infamous: First Light [PS4] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
While Infamous: First Light borrows heavily from it's big brother (Second Son), it is nonetheless a surprisingly accomplished little title. It's a prequel in which play as Fetch, the drug-addict young woman Delsin got his neon powers from in the main game, retelling her experience of how she went romping through Seattle in search of her brother. The game puts a lot of effort into showing you it has 'tude, and while it grates at first (compounded by the fact that I've never liked any of the characters in this series), by the end I'd warmed to pretty much everything and was loving its goofy charms. Gameplay is identical to Second Son, though obviously you're limited to just one power, but some structural changes are in place that just makes it a more fun experience. Once you have the freedom of the city, you can pretty much go anywhere and collect all the SP (ability points used to level up) in the game from the off, which are now (finally) in the style of Crackdown's agility orbs. Each act of the game is book-ended by some Arkham-esque combat arenas to get you used to new powers (which, given the city parts are flashbacks, is stupidly explained each time as Fetch basically saying "oh, by the way, I can also do this"), and there's another, optional side of the game that has you go for high scores in these arenas to compare against the rest of the world. Add to this the ongoing challenges for doing random tasks in the open world, and it's pleasingly dense with fun things to do, despite its bite-sized length. Looks utterly gorgeous too.

header1kszv.jpg

Game 44 - Dark Souls III [PC] &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
Typical brilliance from Miyazaki and From Software, Dark Souls III represents the best of what the series has to offer. And it should, because this game throws back to past glories at will, while bringing along a number of improvements and little conveniences that make it feel like a Souls Greatest Hits at times. It's better optimised for playing at 60fps, it's easier to play co-operatively with friends, and the production values across the board just feel of a higher standard. The soundtrack in particular is something else. There's not really much else to elaborate on that wouldn't be simply describing the series: You die repeatedly along a series of intricately interconnected locales, battling demons and griefers through a punishing (yet utterly fair) combat system, with all your experience points and currency on the line all the time. It's not perfect by any means. The online in particular bugs out much more frequently than it should, and some lower-level technical issues with the PC version make it prone to occasional freezes and whole-system lockups. But in spite of the janky online and the client being a ticking time bomb, I played through the whole thing in co-op, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend playing it that way, which is testament to how good the game behind it all is. So while, like I said, it's not perfect, it's the best Souls game there is. And that's close enough.

ChryZ

Index

57. DELTAZEAL (Steam, 2016/11/06, 15.6 hours)

This is a pretty interesting one, based on the arcade STG "G-Stream G2020" from 2002 and re-released by Triangle Service. The vertical shoot 'em up isn't simple rom emulation, the back-end was completely revamped and scales nicely with modern resolutions including tate mode. The gameplay is still unique and fresh with its branching levels, multi-tiered bosses and RGB weapon upgrades. The three weapons types can be mixed in 10 nuances by power up drops: red = spread, green = homing missiles, blue = narrow laser. 6 red, 4 blue result in 60% spread shot and 40% narrow laser for precision targeting. Well or you can just grab drops randomly and roll with the fuzzy results. Cherry picking the weapon drops is a meta game in itself and surviving long enough to align 10 drops to one specific color will reward the player with a more powerful, but specialized super shot. The enemy formations and waves are nicely varied and never get boring. There are only brief moments of bullet hell and patterns are mostly aimed at the player. Avoiding hostile fire requires baiting while maintaining room for dodging. Killed enemies charge a special weapon, which when triggered, creates a bullets consuming black-hole. There are moments when things seem impossible and that's usually when to use this handy void. The presentation is top notch with industry quality sprite work and excellent soundtrack. DELTAZEAL is legit, not easy, but rewarding when mastered and super fun.

58. The Room (Steam, 2016/11/12, 3.2 hours)

You're stuck in room with puzzles in form of strange contraptions and victorian machinery. Clearing each room requires reading visual clues and logical problem solving. The difficulty is very manageable and a multi-tiered hint system keeps the game as casual as the player wants. The Room sports great presentation and ambient sound. They went the extra mile with this mobile port and the touch controls translate flawlessly to mouse inputs. I enjoyed this lovely little puzzle game a lot.

59. The Room Two (Steam, 2016/11/13, 3.4 hours)

There're more rooms with more variation in style and improved atmosphere. The difficulty and types of puzzles remain mostly the same, but spread out more over the whole given room and it adds scale. Overall a nice litte step, also from the technical side: Two utilizes DX11 and got way more visual bells and whistles.

60. Retrovirus (Steam, 2016/11/25, 14.2 hours)

This six degrees of freedom shooter is Antivirus the game. Your malware killer program descents into the depth of an infected system and the clean up task is yours. The level design is 3D maze like and requires a lot of spacial awareness like in Descent. The player can find various weapons to combat the spreading corruption and its cause. The weapon collection is pretty cookie-cutter, but the perk system allows to specialize in many ways and provides lots of depth to the gameplay. What's amazing and unique about this Retrovirus is, hostiles can be turned when cleaned and will then work for you. There are epic battles which require careful recruitment to gain the upper hand and to tip the conflict. The presentation of the system is stylized, but not in a Tron like way. The system's sub-functions are represented in human terms and everything looks more like a futuristic space station. I enjoyed this game a lot, but figuring out how to overcome certain bosses was a bit frustrating at times. It also seemed that the game engine choked itself a couple of times, especially in open areas, even though my RAM, CPU and GPU were not fully maxed at the given moment. Luckily these moments were rare and the game managed 60fps 95% of my playtime.

original post

Game 50: Doom (PS4) - n/a

Talk about the definition of badass. I have not been a fan of western shooters in a long time, yet Doom is exactly what I needed and what the genre should be all about. The game literally throws out the story within the first minute in favor of focusing on fun level design and fluid gameplay that makes you feel like a total boss. Particularly once you have a full arsenal, fighting feels like a blast. The controls work wonderfully, both the pacing and difficulty are almost perfect, shooting feels satisfying and the maps throw the perfect amount of gimmicks and enemies at you. Between the fighting, platforming has been done surprisingly well too and there's lots to discover for anyone interested. The metal soundtrack does the rest to give the mayhem the perfect feel. When story eventually interrupts, it feels awesome enough, especially since everything's done with a wink instead of being pretentious or in the way of the actual game. The only nitpicks to be had are not so great bossfights and some maps can be a little confusing to navigate through every now and then. Apart from that, I guess there's potential for even crazier setpieces, but right now this game is everything it needed to be.

Master Post

KQyEVvM.png

Game 52: Dishonored 2 - 14 hours, 22 minutes - November 28, 2016
What. A. Game. It's honestly a little difficult for me to express how much I adore this game. Let's just clear the bad stuff so I can rave: the main story is really kind of "eh," it feels like a total retread of the first game and its DLC. More annoying, some of the characterization like Emily's "white girl on a mission trip" experience in Serkonos is just plain bad. Everything else though? Brilliant. I love the amount of lore that they've stuffed into every nook and cranny of the world. Often I just skip picking up notes and such, knowing I'd never read them, but here I was all too happy to pick up lore to catch up on later. The thing that is king here though is the level design. I love that this game isn't open-world, yet manages to feel massive and open to player input. Only very, very rarely did I find the game pushing against my attempt to look for an alternate route around, under or above something. I decided, perhaps foolishly to play a no-kill, ghost playthrough, and up until Mission 3, it was a real pain in the ass. But as I got to Mission 4, the openness of the world and the puzzle behind the design began to become more and more evident to me. There was a noticeable feeling of going through a learning curve that continued all the way through the game. I so admire that Arkane has managed to more or less distill a puzzle game into an action format, and as a result, it's a stunningly cerebral game at times.
Should I play Dishonored 2? There is no doubt in my mind. Everyone should give it a try, especially if you enjoyed the first game.

And with that...I'M DONE. Finally. After multiple attempts!
i6Rnvq5.jpg

BraXzy

It has been... far far too long since I last updated. A lot of things have changed, but the good news is... I DID IT! It's been a lot of fun keeping note of the games I've played over the year, and giving my thoughts on each. I don't think I'll do it again but I'm happy I managed it this time. The last lot of games are below, with the full list linked above :)

Congrats Orthodoxy, we both got there in the end!

AmvmNFG.png

GAME 37: Shovel Knight &#8211; 7.5 hours - 09/06/2016 - PC

A retro platformer inspired by games of yesteryear with all of the best bits but none of the bad. With an awesome soundtrack and satisfying shovel swinging gameplay, this is a must play. I&#8217;m so glad I backed this on Kickstarter way back when!

EwyTExA.png

GAME 38: Garry&#8217;s Mod - 10 hours (Multi) - 17/06/2016 - PC

Crazy, silly sandbox game filled with game modes created by the community. With some wacky modes to play, this is a lot of fun with friends.

6cYKBfc.png

GAME 39: INSIDE - 3 hours - 07/07/2016 - PC

This game is a masterpiece. Beautiful visuals, stunning animations and haunting sound design combine with perfect pacing to create something truly special! I&#8217;m still thinking about this game.

RUWT8dd.png

GAME 40: Pokémon GO &#8211; 10+ hours - 19/07/2016 - Android

A cultural phenomenon. Everyone I know has played this at some point. Discussing it, comparing Pokemon, planning where to go to catch more! The game itself is incredibly basic, but it brought people together in a fun and social way. I&#8217;ve never been on so many walks!

6cXMYBx.png

GAME 41: ABZÛ - 3 hours - 06/08/2016 &#8211; PS4

Beautiful and relaxing, reminiscent of games like Flower and Journey, this game is a soothing experience that makes for a nice change of pace.

8k6pZp0.png

GAME 42: Dark Souls III &#8211; 45 hours - 07/08/2016 - PC

The first Soulsbourne game I have played to completion. For me this was a fresh, knuckle-clenching but incredibly satisfying experience. Superb combat and amazing bosses combined with soul crushing difficulty made for an experience that left me beaten and bruised. But every time I came back more determined and a little wiser. I&#8217;m sure I will return to the beautiful world of Lothric soon.

m0vunGI.png

GAME 43: No Man&#8217;s Sky &#8211; 4 hours - 13/08/2016 - PC

After all of the hype, all of the expectation, this was incredibly disappointing. It has the makings of something great, with some impressive technology behind it, but the experience is hollow and repetitive. Leaving a planet for the first time was incredible, but the excitement didn&#8217;t last long. Refunded.

KzSJHc5.png

GAME 44: Rainbow Six: Siege &#8211; 50+ hours (Multi) - 05/09/2016 - PC

It does not surprise me that this game continues to get more and more popular through word of mouth. This is an incredibly well-crafted, tense and tactical multiplayer shooter that is a welcome addition to the market. There is a lot of depth to the strategy here, and whether you are blowing a hole in the wall or breaching a window, your blood will definitely be pumping.

v5Ep15u.png

GAME 45: Nidhogg &#8211; 2 hours - 11/09/2016 - PC

Fencing with friends (or the computer), this is a simple game but a great laugh in short bursts.

lBc3TnX.png

GAME 46: Virginia &#8211; 1.5 hours - 26/09/2016 - PC

Interesting story telling inspired by &#8217;30 Flights of Loving&#8217; ultimately disappoints. A bizarre game that wasn&#8217;t for me.

xzIxgtY.png

GAME 46.5: Forza Horizon 3 &#8211; 5 hours (Refunded) - 03/10/2016 - PC

A beautiful, open world racer let down by horrible performance issues on PC that I could not ignore. Refunded.

0mWuC10.png

GAME 47: Golf With Your Friends &#8211; 3 hours - 07/10/2016 - PC

A fairly basic (early access game) elevated by the hilarious fun that can be had with a group of friends. Crazy golf with your buddies, what more do you need?

KRyRtks.png

GAME 48: Battlerite &#8211; 10+ hours multi - 12/10/2016 - PC

Satisfying combat in a multiplayer battle arena, perfect for short bursts of competitive gameplay.

eCOqTMr.png

GAME 49: Battlefield 1 &#8211; 40+ hours multi - 21/10/2016 - PC

This is the first Battlefield game that has truly hooked me. This is one of my favourite multiplayer shooters of recent years, with gripping all-out warfare on a grand scale. The setting of World War I is brought to life by jaw-dropping visuals and impressive destruction, immersing you in the world. This is a game that makes you stop and look at the sky in awe, no cutscenes necessary.

HFSI70L.png

GAME 50: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered &#8211; 10+ hours multi - 06/11/2016 - PC

A classic game that (for better or worse) set the standard for multiplayer shooters to follow, the game shows signs of its age but it&#8217;s still the fantastic shooter it was back in 2007. With an impressive new lick of paint too.

bmNU0Nr.png

GAME 51: Gears of War 4 &#8211; 10+ hours multi - 09/11/2016 - PC

This game is certainly more Gears. There are some amazing sights to behold in this game, but ultimately for me, they plastered over what was fairly basic gameplay with incredibly linear levels. I enjoyed playing the game in co-op but in the end it was a disappointing game.

worPcOi.png

GAME 52!: Titanfall 2 &#8211; 20+ hours - 26/11/2016 &#8211; PS4

Considering I absolutely loved the first game, it took me far too long to pick this up. I&#8217;m damn glad that I did! Tight, fast-paced gameplay that builds upon everything that was great about the first game with a bit of added finesse. The single player campaign is incredible too, one of my favourites this year.

gFNmbVT.png

Aaaaaand we're done. Some great games this year. This forced me to play some games that would have forever been in my backlog otherwise, Will participate again next year (and try to beat some more this year).

OP

OP2

Backloggery

Game 47: Destiny: Rise of the Iron Lord

Very short, but at least the missions were well designed. The rest is pure grind which gets boring after some time. But I’m still optimistic that Destiny 2 will be one hell of a game after they’ve learned from their past mistakes.

Game 48: Ryse: Son of Rome
Gorgeous, but oh so shallow. Sometimes, I think back on the promise that the first half of Crysis gave me about Crytek‘s future and get a little bit sad.

Game 49: Virginia

Impressive narrative and even better storytelling. Too bad gameplay is reduced to an absolute minimum. Still waiting fort hat „Walking Simulator“ that gets game mechanics right.

Game 50: Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Still one of the best Point and Click adventures of all time. Some of the puzzles don’t stand the test of time, but still very enjoyable.

Game 51: Red Dead Redemption
Finally played this. And what can I say, I was slightly disappointed. I expected a mature western and got GTA in the Wild West with the same cast of silly characters. Gameplay was also only solid. Maybe my expectations were just too high becuase oft he game’s reputation.

Game 52: The Witcher 3 (Replay)
Still great. Though the main story may get a bit too much praise.

Game 53: The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
Hands down the best content of the Witcher series. Great story, needs to be praised way more

Game 54: The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine
Also great. The new area looks stunning. Story’s not as good Hearts of Stone but still one oft he best expansion packs ever.

Game 55: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Some missions are stil great (Chernobyl) but the constant enemy respawning was getting on more nerves quite a bit.

Game 56: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Positve surprise of the year. Gave off heavy Wing Commander vibes. And while the story was simple, it worked very well. And some oft he setpieces were amazing. One of the better shooter campaigns of the last years.

Game 57: Gears of War 4
B-movie shooter, but fun in coop.

Game 58: GTA V (Replay)
Stupid fun, horrible narrative, looks amazing on my new PC.

Game 59: Battlefield 1
Dice still can’t do singleplayer campaigns. Just leave out that stuff next time….

It has been... far far too long since I last updated. A lot of things have changed, but the good news is... I DID IT! It's been a lot of fun keeping note of the games I've played over the year, and giving my thoughts on each. I don't think I'll do it again but I'm happy I managed it this time. The last lot of games are below, with the full list linked above :)

Congrats Orthodoxy, we both got there in the end!
Congrats to you as well BraXzy!

data

Uh, just a question, but why does everyone make a new post for every 10 games they complete? Is this a rule of some sort? I've always just kept updating my original post

Congrats BraXxy! My goal is to do 52 games 3x so I can make up for failed years. :p Dunno if I'll try to beat 52 games next year, though I'll try to keep up for this thread.

Uh, just a question, but why does everyone make a new post for every 10 games they complete? Is this a rule of some sort? I've always just kept updating my original post

I do it as a combination of not posting too often + wanting to be able to engage w/ new posts.

Spyware

I have not posted an update since I reached 52 games I think. I'm now on 87 beaten games. I'll update better next year :)

If everyone only updated their original post, the thread wouldn't move at all. I don't think anyone goes back to check on old main posts either so if you want your entries seen you need to post them in a new post. The main post is mostly something you can edit and link with every new update you make as a summary/complete list of games, and something you can link back to for next years thread and so on. :)

Linkyn

Main Post

I got my PS4 last week, so I've finally been able to clear some of my prepared backlog. My eventual goal was to play Uncharted 4 (which I've by now beaten, as well), but before doing so, I wanted to replay the PS3 trilogy using the Nathan Drake Collection. However, since these are individual remasters, I'm going to treat them as separate games in my count.

Game 43: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered
Game 44: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered
Game 45: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Remastered

I only got around to playing Drake's Fortune after I had already beaten 2 and 3, mostly out of curiosity about how and where the series began. Back then, it definitely felt quite rough around the edges, especially when compared to its sequels. Now, having played the remaster, I'm not sure what to think. Maybe I had different expectations going in this time, or maybe the remaster actually took care of many of the gameplay issues present in the original, but the experience felt much better this time around. Still, the first game is definitely the weakest in the series despite all the improvements (although it's really no shame to be the weakest among genuinely good titles). Overall, I feel that it has very few moments that really stand out, and the writing feels particularly cheesy, even when compared to the other games (which are also really cheesy and over-the-top, but at least seem to be a bit more self-conscious). It also has the largest number of arguably 'cheap' sequences or fights in the series.

Uncharted 2 was pretty much my introduction to the series, as well as the PS3, and ultimately served as one of the reasons for me buying it in early 2010 (I had previously beaten it with a friend on his PS3). While I appreciate 1 and 3 for what they do, it also stands out as the clear peak of the trilogy (and possibly the franchise), mostly because it absolutely nails every important aspect. It has the best pacing, it has a lot of variety in its scenarios, and it has by far the most memorable set pieces. The lack of stand-out moments one might hold against the first game is missing here, and sequences like the helicopter chase in Nepal or the train chapters easily put their counterparts in other games to shame. It is also in Uncharted 2 that the presentation becomes much more refined (although, as stated above, the remastering has somewhat diminished this effect) in terms of pre-rendered cutscenes, VO work and sound design, and few games have been able to match that level of quality. If there's one thing I really don't like about Uncharted 2, it's the fight against Lazarevic, which is kinda dragged out (since you can only damage him by shooting nodes around the room when he's near them, and it takes 12 hits to defeat him) and can be quite annoying due to how quickly he can combo you with his grenades + shotgun.

As for Uncharted 3, while it has the same level of polish (if not more so) than Among Thieves, I still prefer the second one, mainly because once again, the pacing is slightly better in 2 (there are several instances where Drake's Deception slows down either too much or for too long). Despite this, I feel that there are again quite a few real standout chapters, including the escape from the burning chateau, the escape from the sinking ocean liner, and the fight aboard the crashing plane (somehow, these all ended up being about something collapsing or being destroyed). That aside, I don't really like its over-reliance on melee combat, including several melee brawls, and the dragged-out brute fights, which are more or less reduced to button mashing past a certain point. That said, I do absolutely love the fact that it doesn't really have a final boss, as opposed to Drake's Fortune, and especially Among Thieve's supremely frustrating fight against Lazarevic.

Finally, I'd like to say a few words about the collection, in general. For one, the improved visual quality makes a huge difference (especially for Drake's Fortune), even though I'm not entirely happy with some of the changes to character models. Additionally, the benefits of added smoothness due to the higher frame rate cannot be understated. Lastly, a few things that stood out to me playing the games back to back. They're all quite a bit shorter than I remembered them being. I got the platinum trophy for each one of them, and ended up beating them all twice (once on normal for the experience, once on crushing for the trophies), and still barely hit 15-17 hours for each one. I also feel that some of the trophies are a little lazy (too many trophies are practically copied word for word across all three games, so you end up doing the same challenges again and again). Ultimately, all things considered, this collection is easily the way to play these three games, and unless you've played them on PS3, there is really no excuse for not owning the collection.

dougalism

Neo Member
Dougalism - Progress 54/52

Game 51: Saints Row IV: How the saints save Christmas (PS4) - 1/11
Even worse than Enter the Dominatrix. Also pretty sure it rips off at least 1 Futurama Christmas episode.

Game 52: Ridge Racer (PSP) - 3/11
A real love letter to the Ridge Racer franchise, really makes me wish Ridge Racer 8 was a thing. Beaten to the end of Pro mode.

Game 53: Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) - 7/11
Up there with The Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us. Makes me want to try Borderlands 1 & 2 that I've got in the backlog.

Game 54: Hatoful Boyfriend (PS4) - 10/11
That true end sure goes some places.

Challenge complete! Most of the month has been taken up with Yakuza 5

data

I have not posted an update since I reached 52 games I think. I'm now on 87 beaten games. I'll update better next year :)

If everyone only updated their original post, the thread wouldn't move at all. I don't think anyone goes back to check on old main posts either so if you want your entries seen you need to post them in a new post. The main post is mostly something you can edit and link with every new update you make as a summary/complete list of games, and something you can link back to for next years thread and so on. :)

oh right, seems like something I should try to do next year.

BraXzy

oh right, seems like something I should try to do next year.

Yeah I recommend it. Like folks said, treat your original post as the main/complete list. I personally have approached it like.. Which games did I complete since last update? Post those seperately to give an update. It keeps the thread going, gives your latest progress for people to catch up on etc.

Link back to main post. Update main post with new games + the previous stuff.

Honestly, unless I really know you, I probably won't return to the master posts that often. Post updates regularly so we have a community and can see what each other are playin!

Krafter

Page 1 (Games 1-57)
Page 2 (Games 58-71)

NOVEMBER END (7 games completed, 71 games total)
Another stellar month, my GAF-record of 76 is toast as I am halfway through half a dozen games in a month chock full of days off. Easy peasy lemon squeezey. Would have been 1 more, but my replacement PS2 died halfway through Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Am planning on buying the PSP version, or a used PS2 that actually freaking works, when I can find it cheap somewhere.

Game 65: Dead Star (PS4) - November 1 - 4 hours
Excellent premise, pretty much a multiplayer space shooter with various ships, Galaga-simple controls. Was very cool for the 10 or so games I got in before the server close. Another strike against multiplayer only titles, if there was a bot mode the game would still be playable today.

Game 66: Penumbra: Requiem (PC) - November 6 - 5 hours
The final Penumbra game. The controls and puzzles were as good as ever, if not better, but the horror aspects which got me into things in the 1st place are nominal, at best. Plenty of beef for an expansion. Still quite good, but the low point of the series.

Game 67: Hannah Montana (DS) - November 8 - 4 hours
Adventure game for kids who watched the TV show. 2 of my girls qualify there, so I play through the game while they tell me what to do. It's a point and click game, solving little mysteries and roller skating around. Really poor, but I'm not exactly the target audience.

Game 68: Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita) - November 17 - 30 hours
Par for the series, with good characters and controls and how easy it is to jump into a quick game. Perfect for the Vita, Hot Shots on a handheld makes it my favourite Golf game ever. Problems? It's still morale-crushingly hard, where I have to play on easy to have a smidgen of a chance on any challenge after the second tier. Still fun, though.

Game 69: X-Men Destiny (PS3) - November 19 - 19 hours
Flawed yet interesting game, part action, part RPG, with a much-appreciated yet half-hearted mutant creation system. Power creep is way too sudden, and the one-city setting is a miss, and it seems like they could have canned the three pre-made characters in lieu of a fuller, make your own one. However, Destiny is a fun romp that brought me back enough to Platinum the game. Feels like a start to greater things in a sequel, but that's not going to happen.

Game 70: Persona 3 Portable (PSP) - November 24 - 51 hours
Best version of the best Persona game. Simplified controls for the PSP lose nothing of value, social links and SMT combat is all there, and the protagonist seems far less of a Mary Sue as a woman, oddly enough. Macabre themes, yet upbeat, good cast of supporting characters, actually makes school seem fun. Instant classic, in Atlus we trust.

Game 71: Broken Age (Vita) - November 27 - 8 hours
Old school Adventure game complete with inventory puzzles and silly Tim Schafer shenanigans. Excellent voice acting really added to the experience, and the characters were all charming in their own ways. Mid-game events were very cool and turn the game on it's head in a good way. I love the remasters they are making, but new adventures in this vein are what I really want out of Schafer. Double Fine continues to deliver as the heir to Lucas Arts.

Jeff6851

I finished Oxenfree today. It had the expected problems that I usually find with these types of games (you don't know what tone a dialogue option has so something you read as jokey will actually be serious and rude). I also got really annoyed with how quickly dialogue options would disappear and I wasn't able to click on them even though they hadn't fully disappeared yet. There would be times when a character was talking, I got an option to respond to something and my character would interrupt and we'd have a new conversation (this led to me waiting to respond which is how I developed the previous complaint). I actually don't mind the ending, though I felt kind of confused about what decision the antagonist had made.

Even with all those complaints, I still really enjoyed the game. There were some well done jump scares (actually they probably weren't even jump scares I was just on edge) and on more than one occasion I audibly said, "Holy shit!"

8.5/10

OT

#44-Finished up Virginia. It was another walking sim. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be a little creepy but it was not. I honestly have no clue what was going on. I think it had something to do with aliens/ abduction. It was ok. but would be cautious on recommending it.

#45-Next up is Desert Golf. This does not have an end so i waited all year to list it. Played all year and am currently around hole 6,500. This game is a fantastic time waster. I will keep on playing this for who knows how long. I play a lot while watching TV. Some holes are extremely hard yet others easy as pie. I love that there is no retry so you get stuck with the shot count. i think i have taken close to 25,000 shots.

#46-Knocked out an oldie but a goodie with Super Mario Bros. Deluxe. Really not much to say on this except it is classic Mario just zoomed in.

#47-Ultimate NES Remix was the next down. I did not complete this as I did not finish the last about 35 games. I found it started to wear out its welcome a bit before that but chugged as far as I was able to. It is by no means a bad game. In fact I loved it! I think I just played to mach to fast and burnt myself out.

Full list

50. Technobabylon / 8 hrs

Wadjet Eye continues to be one of the best adventure game publishers out there. Great game.

51. Watch Dogs 2 / 40 hrs

I was blown away by how much I loved this game. I hated Watch Dogs 1. But this game allowed me to play in a manner where I barely interacted with the enemies at all, and on top it included an insanely appealing cast and open world. The multitude of fun research point puzzles were icing on the delicious cake. I loved every minute.

52. Homefront: The Revolution / 24 hrs

I bought this for super cheap thanks to some people singing it's praises and saying it was overlooked. I have to say it was worth my time, and a slid title, now that apparently the problems have been patched. I loved slowly taking over the city, and though it's open world, you're given enough focus so I could linearly take out every sector of the map as the story progressed. Each section of city was also different or unique in ant least a small way which kept it fresh. This game deserves an audience.

53. Hook / 1 hr

Simple little puzzle game that was super cheap. 69 cents for about that many minutes. Good enough!

I made it over 52 three years in a row! 84 in 2014! 65 in 2015. 2016 isn't over yet.....

Dryk

Original Post - Part 1
Original Post - Part 2
Original Post - Part 3
Original Post - Part 4

#50: Fortix: 1.8 hours
Meh. I played Lightfish earlier in the year and I much preferred that as a Qix clone. Fortix has extra mechanics in that your primarily obstacles aren't the roaming dragons but turrets that fire bullets at you when you venture into open space. There are points you can segment off in order to destroy the turrets and instead of having to capture a certain percentage of the map by sealing it off you just need to capture the fortresses. While this still lends itself to a certain amount of strategy it's too easy to just edge your way around the things and be done with it. That's also possible in Lightfish but the level design is more interesting and you have a bit more freedom to make a run for it. Lightfish also revolves around scoring points instead of just completing the level, and the points increase non-linearly with area encouraging you to make as big a box as possible.

Preview: I had finished the third Grand Trial in Pokemon but I just lost a bunch of progress so that sucks.

OP

Game 36: Steins;Gate Zero (Vita/PS4) - 18 Hrs 18 Mins (12/2/2016)

#Man, did this game give me the feels or what... I definitely liked the approach of the endings here compared to Steins;Gate. Still, the game had great characters, a more gripping and tense plot than Steins;Gate, an awesome soundtrack and great presentation besides some localization misspells and such. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year like Steins;Gate was last year. Could be my GOTY, I'll have to see though.

Game 37: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (Wii/PS2) - 28 Hrs 23 Mins (12/10/2016)

#Pretty fun visual novel/strategy game. Don't know if I'll get all the endings, but I feel alright with the one I got. An enjoyable experience and glad I finally beat it.

Game 38: Olli Olli (PS4/Vita/3DS/WiiU/PC) - 4 Hrs 12 Mins (12/11/2016)

#An alright skateboarding arcade like game. Pretty fun and simple game that probably has more depth than I think it does.

Game 39: Fire Emblem (GBA/Wii U) - 52 Hrs 16 Mins (12/13/2016)

#Went through the three campaigns. This is definitely one of my favorite FEs with Path of Radiance being the only one to top it. I recommend this as a good starting point of the series if you want to get into it

Game 40: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) - 32 Hrs 20 Mins (12/13/2016)

#Pretty good game. Enjoyed replaying it and still love the game. Replaying it reminded me of some of the bad stuff though like Wolf Link sections and other things.

Game 41: Pokemon Moon (3DS) - 22 Hrs 58 Mins (12/14/2016)

#Definitely the best Pokemon I've played since Black & White. A step in the right direction as far as Pokemon storytelling goes for me and I liked the new structure for the most part. Enjoyable game for sure with a great soundtrack. Specifically loved Team Skull music the most. So good...

Game 42: Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3/PS4/PC) - 14 Hrs 11 Mins (12/14/2016)

#Beat some story modes and played some multiplayer matches. As my first Guilty Gear, it was a pretty fun fighting game. Might give Revelator a try eventually.

Game 43: The Binding of Issac: Rebirth (PC/PS4/Vita/New3DS/X1/WiiU/iOS) - 100 Hrs or so (12/16/2016)

#Got most of the endings, but I'll keep playing this ever once and a while for the challenges and endings I haven't gotten. Very addicting game.

Game 44: Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Chapter 1 Onikakushi (PC) - 7 Hrs 15 Mins (12/16/2016)

#Having seen the anime and some of a play-through of this on YouTube, I still enjoyed this and glad I got through this to where I can go through the other chapters. Still had the creepy factor and I hope I can get through the rest of the chapters by the end of the year. One of the more enjoyable VNs I've played this year with Steins;Gate 0 and Trials and Tribulations. Can't wait to get to the other chapters of this.

Game 45: Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Chapter 2 Watanagashi (PC) - 7 Hrs 47 Mins (12/17/2016)

#Better than Onikakushi and I figured it would be. This was definitely creepy and disturbing at parts, especially toward the end of the story. The atmosphere is just great even if it takes time to pick up. But when tension gets built up, it just builds until it falls on you. Loved this!

Game 46: Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Chapter 3 Tatarigoroshi (PC) - 10 Hrs 13 Mins (12/18/2016)

#Another good chapter with little answers and more questions however. Hopefully, the answer arcs come out in reasonable time, but I doubt it. This was creepy as well as probably the most confusing story arc so far. I have my expectations in check for the next one since it's the shortest and the one most like the least of the question arcs.

Game 47: Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Chapter 4 Himatsubushi (PC) - 5 Hrs 5 Mins (12/18/2016)

#Still a good chapter, even if it's shorter than the others. Can't wait for the answer arcs when they come out!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Main Post 1
Main Post 2

Game 52 - Xanadu Next - PC Steam - Completed Dec 3rd, 2016
Wow this game was great fun. Even though it was a super (10 year) late English release that felt a bit dated, I really enjoyed this game a lot. The game had a very solid "one more turn" feel to it, and it played like a mix between Zelda and Dark Souls, with really tight controls on the action side, huge difficulty spikes at times (which I loved), and passages that would open up to present shortcuts back to the main hub area at fairly regular intervals. My only complaint would be that some of the achievements didn't happen the way they were supposed to (for instance, I leveled up all my guardians but Steam still only shows 63/82 levels completed). To give this game a perfect 10, I would have liked to have it modernized at least to the point of having voice acting for the dialog - although after listening to the phonetic nightmare of an end-game theme, maybe that wouldn't have been so great after all. Either way, this game was amazing and I'm glad I was able to end the challenge this year with something truly special.

This is the third year in a row now that I've completed the challenge! (2014, 2015 Pt.1, 2015 Pt.2) and although I won't complete as many games as I did last year (67, wow!) I felt like I had some really solid titles in this year's line up.

I'll continue to update my original post, because I'm sure I'll finish a few more games before the end of the year with the holidays coming up. Good luck to everyone else in the final stretch!

chrixter

Challenge completed! Really didn't think I'd make it to 52 this year, but here I am with almost a month to spare.

43. Dishonored 2
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733; - 34 hours - Completed 11/19/2016
Performance issues aside, Dishonored 2 is an improvement over the original (my 2012 GOTY) in every way. Emily's set of powers is even more fun than Corvo's, enemies are far more challenging, the art direction is downright mesmerizing at times, and the level design might be the best I've experienced this generation. Gameplay feels incredible whether I take a stealthy or combat-oriented approach, and the game offers expanded options for both lethal and non-lethal playstyles. And even if the storytelling doesn't match how well it plays, I'm nevertheless completely immersed by the world design and freedom of exploration. Up there with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for my GOTY.

44. Titanfall 2
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - 4 hours - Completed 11/22/2016
Unrelentingly-paced campaign with a few clever gimmicks. Really solid shooting and mobility mechanics.

45. Deus Ex: The Fall
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 3 hours - Completed 11/23/2016
Impressive for what was initially developed as a mobile game and surprisingly enjoyable on PC. Maybe I just love Human Revolution so much that even a 3-hour, unpolished, scaled-back version of it can keep me engrossed.

46. Emily is Away
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 28 minutes - Completed 11/24/2016
Hauntingly nostalgic and relatable.

47. The Stanley Parable
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - 1.5 hours - Completed 11/24/2016
Cleverly-written deconstruction of narrative structure in video games. I managed to find half of the endings before hitting a wall and then looked up the rest. Brilliant game.

48. The Beginner's Guide
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 1.5 hours - Completed 11/24/2016
A thought-provoking, albeit self-indulgent, look into the mind of the game's creator. At the very least, it challenged me to reflect on my own battles with insecurity and depression.

49. Virginia
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 1.5 hours - Completed 11/25/2016
Fresh use of cinematic cuts and transitions that really enhance the narrative here. Unfortunately, the story goes off the rails in the last 10-15 minutes.

50. Spec Ops: The Line
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 4 hours - Completed 11/27/2016
I didn't find the story as remarkable or the twists as surprising as the praise had me expect, but it goes places. Some satisfying shooting, too.

51. Frog Fractions
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - 42 minutes - Completed 11/30/2016
...What the fuck!?

52. Orwell
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - 4 hours - Completed 12/2/2016
Intriguing investigative adventure game, described by some as a cross between Papers, Please and Her Story. I found myself feeling more or less inclined to incriminate a given person based on how much I liked or disliked that person, which was an interesting realization about my own susceptibility to personal bias. The story becomes more compelling in the third act and sticks the landing with a great ending.

Blinck

Really cool to read some of these reviews! And congrats to those who finished the challenge! How do you guys find the time? Do you pick smaller games on purpose? 52 games seems like such a big challenge!

Aru

50 games so far! Link to the first 40.

+10 from last update:

41. Super Mario Bros. 3 (3DS VC) - Sep 14 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 7h58
42. Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood ! (PSP/Vita) - Sep 29 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 11h15 (299 lives left, baby mode)
43. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (3DS) - Oct 15 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 15-16h
44. Resident Evil (HD Remaster / PS4) - Oct 28 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 10h45
45. Transformers: Devastation (PS4) - Nov 10 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: ???
46. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita) - Nov 11 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 18h51
47. Yoshi&#8217;s Island (3DS VC) - Nov 21 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 9h37
48. Not A Hero (Mac) - Nov 27 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734; - Playtime: 5h Steam
49. Batman : Arkham Knight (PC) - Nov 30 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: 18h
50. A King&#8217;s Tale : Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - Dec 1 - &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734; - Playtime: ???

Really cool to read some of these reviews! And congrats to those who finished the challenge! How do you guys find the time? Do you pick smaller games on purpose? 52 games seems like such a big challenge!

Everybody's time is different. And since there's no restrictions on how long games have to be, if you wanted to pick all short games, I think it's perfectly fine. It's just a personal challenge! I personally vary between the two. I play a good amount of very long games/RPGs so I don't mind throwing in some short ones. Other people try to platinum all their titles, which I could never do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom