• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcrawlers |OT| Dungeon Crawling in Spaaaaaaaaccccceeeeeee

Moff

Void psyker evoker is by very far the most fun class. Fantastic mechanics and resource management and devastating damage.

Lanrutcon

How long is the game?

So it's got story mission (static) and infinite side missions (generated). Loot is generated, and max level is 30. NG+ ups it to 60 and increases loot quality. NG++ Ups it again and gives you the best loot.

So...I'd say there's a good amount of content.

Lanrutcon

Well, bought! One more question: how's difficulty? Normal is challenge enough?

So far it's fine if you build your party well. I've had a few times where I underestimated a new enemy and got near death. Healing items are finite and there are no healer classes, so you have to play properly because there's not reliable disaster recovery. I hear the bosses in the game play for keeps.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
After spending more time, I gotta say they really need to patch this UI, playing the game gets exhausting due to lack of some very simple quality of life features:

- no keyboard controls for battle screen, click and hold for every choice gets annoying quickly.

- horrible inventory with no filters or auto sort, in a loot driven game, what are they thinking?

- loot compare is not very intuitive and requires a lot of effort, they need to improve this, especially when shopping.

Lanrutcon

After spending more time, I gotta say they really need to patch this UI, playing the game gets exhausting due to lack of some very simple quality of life features:

- no keyboard controls for battle screen, click and hold for every choice gets annoying quickly.

- horrible inventory with no filters or auto sort, in a loot driven game, what are they thinking?

- loot compare is not very intuitive and requires a lot of effort, they need to improve this, especially when shopping.

I don't really agree with #1 and #2, but I've also had issues with #3. Sometimes it's really hard to figure out if a piece of loot is actually better. Lots of the statistics are hard to weigh when deciding what to wear.

And I'm still not sure how shields work.

StereoVsn

Hmm... the game certainly looks interesting but I just don't have the time to play it for next couple of months. Might grab it anyway to support the Devs since I love turn based blobbers and MM-X was the last one I truly liked.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Void Psykers are absolutely *insane* once you level them up. Holy crap he's an engine of unbridled destruction.

Merkunt

After playing for about 4 hours I'm having a few issues with the game;

- There doesn't seem to be a way to store your items, it wouldn't be an issue if the game didn't rely so much on loot;

- No way to bind Battle actions to your keyboard, having to hold the mouse button gets tiring real quick, and some enemies have odd centers of mass making it very cumbersome when targeting them;

- There seems to be some sort of glitch with Ironman and save files, when I saved and quit the game the first time, it created a separate file, making me lose about 2 hours of gametime, suffice to say I opted out of Ironman;

- Random dungeons are really dumbed down compared to the story ones, but that was a given anyway.

It's still early, game's good so far, playing on Hardcore, still haven't got to the first Boss. My team atm:

Force Psyker (hammer + crits)
Void Psyker (Summoner)
Hacker (Optimization)
Prototype

Thinking on getting a Gunslinger though.

Sinatar

- There doesn't seem to be a way to store your items, it wouldn't be an issue if the game didn't rely so much on loot;

You have storage in the bar, it's one of the options with the barkeeper.

In other news: UNLIMITED POWWWAAAAHHHH

giphy.gif

Hard to see the damage numbers in the GIF, but each bolt is doing between 2 and 4 thousand damage lol.

Moff

void psyker evoker is amazing, every single skill is incredibly powerful
the shield burning alone makes him an invaluable must pick
and then theres the storm and 2 different ultra hard hitting single target spells

giphy.gif

Hard to see the damage numbers in the GIF, but each bolt is doing between 2 and 4 thousand damage lol.

Awesome gif. This game is pretty much exactly what I wanted from it. There are a few things that could use a little bit of polish, but it's really great... for sure worth the asking price. But I'm biased...dungeon crawlers are one of my favourite genres since I grew up with them.

Sinatar

The devs are good folks. I ran into a progress breaking bug, reported it on their steam forums and they had me send in my save which they then manually fixed. Really cool of them.

Lanrutcon

I wanna run 4 Void Psykers. That would be hilarious.

My Hacker is also stupidly obscene atm. I'm not sure what the hell is comboing, but he's 21 with running full Malware/partial Rootkit. Equipped him with a quick weapon and initiative boosting gear. First turn he stuns and sets things on fire, next turn he drops a vulnerability virus, then you pop that ultimate that makes all the viruses refresh and blow up. But with Shareware viruses spread when applied and when applying damage, so all the viruses blow up, do whatever they do, then spread, then blow up, then do whatever they do, then spread, repeat, etc. The numbers just keep going in some weird cycle as the viruses run rampant.

Dropped a 3k health boss and his 4 800hp friends in one application of that ultimate.

Sinatar

My Hacker is also stupidly obscene atm. I'm not sure what the hell is comboing, but he's 21 with running full Malware/partial Rootkit. Equipped him with a quick weapon and initiative boosting gear. First turn he stuns and sets things on fire, next turn he drops a vulnerability virus, then you pop that ultimate that makes all the viruses refresh and blow up. But with Shareware viruses spread when applied and when applying damage, so all the viruses blow up, do whatever they do, then spread, then blow up, then do whatever they do, then spread, repeat, etc. The numbers just keep going in some weird cycle as the viruses run rampant.

Dropped a 3k health boss and his 4 800hp friends in one application of that ultimate.

I'll have to try the Malware tree out, I've got mine specced Optimization/Rootkit and he's pretty underwhelming in combat. Super super useful outside of combat though.

Moff

I'll have to try the Malware tree out, I've got mine specced Optimization/Rootkit and he's pretty underwhelming in combat. Super super useful outside of combat though.

like what? my opzimitazion tree is full and the support/heal abilities in combat are underwhelming. restoring shields is fine I guess but it's nowhere near as useful as what other classes offer.
and outside of combat he can hack a few things bit still fails a lot.

Sinatar

Finished it after 27 hours. Really really fun game, end boss was suitably ridiculous.

For anyone curious, New Game+ ups the level cap to 100 and resets all your faction rep to neutral.

giphy.gif

The Void Psyker has quickly become one of my most favourite classes in any game ever. I've nearly maxed out the Summoner tree and being able to attack all my enemies with magic missiles and DoTs whilst placing debuffs on everything then if that isn't enough they call down an old god if anything crits is rad.

The enemy design is repetitive but Starcrawlers is holding my attention more than any other dungeon crawler that I've played.

Moff

The Void Psyker has quickly become one of my most favourite classes in any game ever. I've nearly maxed out the Summoner tree and being able to attack all my enemies with magic missiles and DoTs whilst placing debuffs on everything then if that isn't enough they call down an old god if anything crits is rad.

The enemy design is repetitive but Starcrawlers is holding my attention more than any other dungeon crawler that I've played.
Yep, I get tired of it fast, 3 to 4 missions tops per session. But it always draws me back.

I think I even prefer the random side missions, they really make me feel like a crawler.

How story heavy is this?

Played early access for about an hour and was very impressed with this. Plenty of cool mechanics and ideas.
Like what? Only similar games I've played is Legend of Grimrock, so curious what this does new or different (besides the setting)

Was doing some research into the game and saw this on the Kickstarter

jR07HB6.jpg

How much is interactions/events like that in the game, and how much of an impact do they have? (Preferably more than less)

Sinatar

Was doing some research into the game and saw this on the Kickstarter

jR07HB6.jpg

How much is interactions/events like that in the game, and how much of an impact do they have? (Preferably more than less)

There are tons of them, though the effects aren't huge. Mostly used to avoid battles or avoid triggering alarms. Lots of loot opportunities as well.

HorseFD

Very excited to play the release version of this game. The devs seem pretty cool too, they answered several of my questions during development and were very friendly.

Moff

ok forget about the void psyker
there is something seriously wrong with the malware hacker
not only has he a very powerful dot, that not only does way more damage a dot should, it also spreads by itself with a very high chance
but not enough, he can also detonate that dot, does even more damage and spreads further
I am not joking, this wrecks whole groups of superpowerful enemies, and I mean the stronegst trash mobs like those huge robots and worms AND bosses in the very first round of a fight (because the dot has also a very shot time penalty). it's a joke to the point where he basically does everything by himself and I just wait until it's his turn.

Sinatar

Yea Malware Hacker is legit.

I'm running Solider/Force Psyker/Hacker/Void Psyker and i'm absolutely obliterating everything in NG+/

Moff

finished it

I think it was great, best of the modern dungeoncrawlers
the hub that let you choose your randomly generated missions really did it for me
I am looking forward to what juggernaut games are doing next

the main story wasn't really great, I did enjoy the whole ragnarok double play but in the end the stella maris was just not a very exciting location

finished it

I think it was great, best of the modern dungeoncrawlers
the hub that let you choose your randomly generated missions really did it for me
I am looking forward to what juggernaut games are doing next

the main story wasn't really great, I did enjoy the whole ragnarok double play but in the end the stella maris was just not a very exciting location
Even better than Grimrock?

Sinatar

Ah ok. I was wondering more in terms of story reasons, like if he'll leave or something.

Nope he doesn't leave. The choice to take him or not is a choice between having him as a party member or getting an upgrade item from his AI core, that's all.

spiritfox

This thread is too quiet.

Anyway, I'm still trucking along, but I didn't realise I'll lock myself into a side so I'm kinda stuck doing missions for Aurora even though I didn't want to. I kinda wish they'll mention that beforehand.

Yup. That plus Soldier grenades, shields broken from the Void, and the Smuggler playing distraction/flashbang, few things live for long once the pain train gets rolling.

I will echo the UI problems and it took forever to get a FOV that didn't give me headaches.

Top Bottom