• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Kellen

Are you guys doing customizations the sticks yourselves(artwork and what not) or are you sending them off to someone?

Hex

Banned
There's no 'inexpensive' arcade sticks right?

Define...
You can get them as low as 50 if you just want one to get used to and play with.
You can get a good one for 100 these days.
Not sure if there is really anything lower except the clearance grab.

blanco21

I really wish arcade manufacturers put more space in between the stick and the buttons.

Wow, this. That aspect, the superiority of different parts, and to a lesser extent, price, have kinda scared me away from this scene. I've played really nice ones before, but they always feel weird, or not worth the money being asked to some extent...like the approach is wrong or that the stick in question is a "lite" version or something. Then too, I'll get opinions on a stick I like, seemingly high-end, and I'll hear the/some parts suck.

Just my random 2 cents. Bookmarking this thread though, thanks OP.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kinda curious myself on the differences. MarkMan has them but he is busy and don't think has gotten a chance to use them.

I played on the SA version of the Kais quite a bit (about 4 days straight). The main difference is the overall feel.

The buttons/stick are further apart (same distance as the SCV sticks). The feel is changed overall because of the artwork application. For anyone used to the HRAP V3-SA and VX-SA you'll know what I'm talking about for the paper/sticker artwork.

Now it's using the same type of top panel/artwork application that the Mad Catz TE sticks used (also same as their Hori SCV/Gundam V.S. arcade stick). So the actual feel of your wrist/hands/fingers touching that portion of the stick has changed. I know it is minor, but trust me when playing on a stick, you can feel the difference.

The foam lining on the bottom is very thin, yet since it's on the metal plate it helps dampen the sound (I know this sounds crazy), but since their is no middle plastic structure of the Hori V3/VX-SA sticks it has a slightly more hollow button press sound to it. The amount of noise has been reduced slightly from this. The overall casing is identical other than that.

Other new features are, it has the control module area that is identical to the SCV/Gundam V.S. arcade sticks. Other than that, that's pretty much it.

I've opened one up but neglected to take photos. Been lazy.

notworksafe

If I wanted to print the artwork from home with a standard color printer what type of paper would you guys/gals recommend?
I usually use photo paper.

Starting to gather parts for my next stick. Has anyone tried out the new PS360+? I had one preordered forever ago, but cancelled that when I thought it wasn't coming out.

What's the best place to get a Qanba/EightArc from?
http://eightarc.com I would assume.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for the impressions pn the Kais MarkMan. Very detailed and gives a good feel for what to expect.

As more of a fan of the HRAP form factor and its feel in lieu of the newer VX/V3s it is great to hear that these new ones perhaps feel a bit more less "hollow" sounding. And perhaps a slightly more durable face is good news as well!

Is there any way to customize my SF4 Mad Katz stick to feel a lot more like the cab sticks of say old school Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition? I've replaced the buttons with sanwas which are fine, even though they are not concave. The stick itself feels way looser and I'm not fond of the balltop. Would rather have a bat type of stick that's nice and taut. What should I be looking for? Keep in mind I'm not quite ready to upgrade to a TE just yet.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Is there any way to customize my SF4 Mad Katz stick to feel a lot more like the cab sticks of say old school Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition? I've replaced the buttons with sanwas which are fine, even though they are not concave. The stick itself feels way looser and I'm not fond of the balltop. Would rather have a bat type of stick that's nice and taut. What should I be looking for? Keep in mind I'm not quite ready to upgrade to a TE just yet.

You can get a ball top and adapter piece to give you the bat top feel. You can also install an GT-C for a circular gate feel.

For a SF4 stick, I'd recommend replacing the stock stick with a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT so you can put in a bat top/circle gate in easier...

You can get the circular gate here:
http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-gt-o-circle-restrictor-plate-insert/

You can get the Sanwa JLF and bat tops here:
http://www.focusattack.com/balltops-battops/sanwa
http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

Please note, there is useful information/vids on each page that show you how to install these things.

notworksafe

Could you recommend some? I want to make sure I can find the right size
What stick are you replacing the art on? Most of my customs are made so that I can just print on an 8.5x11 inch paper but something like a TE would probably require something larger like 11x7.

If you're printing the art from a template you should be able to use the ruler in whatever image editing software you use to tell you the size of the template.

Popparoks

New stick user here. Can anyone vouch for the BrawlStick? I just got it as a gift and i was going to actually start competing with it. Is it me or does the actual joy stick feels kind of awkward and limited? Whats a great way/game to practice with it?

notworksafe

New stick user here. Can anyone vouch for the BrawlStick? I just got it as a gift and i was going to actually start competing with it. Is it me or does the actual joy stick feels kind of awkward and limited? Whats a great way/game to practice with it?

Excellent case and PCB. Stick and buttons are a cheap mess and will need to be replaced before too long, but that is very easy to do.

As far as game, any will work. Just play the game you are most comfortable with. Be warned that you'll suck for a while until you get used to the stick.

What stick are you replacing the art on? Most of my customs are made so that I can just print on an 8.5x11 inch paper but something like a TE would probably require something larger like 11x7.

If you're printing the art from a template you should be able to use the ruler in whatever image editing software you use to tell you the size of the template.

Yeah a TE stick

I'll just search a bit more for the right paper size

Lunar15

Stick-GAF, I'm a pretty casual fighting game player, but every time I play one I keep thinking about grabbing a stick, so I'd like to grab a simple one for P4A.

I was looking at the simple Hori V3 due to the price: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057WDBHA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is this a good purchase, or should I shell out some more cash to get something like the Arcade Pro V3? I'm just new to this and not extremely picky.

Enron

Banned
Stick-GAF, I'm a pretty casual fighting game player, but every time I play one I keep thinking about grabbing a stick, so I'd like to grab a simple one for P4A.

I was looking at the simple Hori V3 due to the price: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057WDBHA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is this a good purchase, or should I shell out some more cash to get something like the Arcade Pro V3? I'm just new to this and not extremely picky.

About 4 years ago I decided i wanted a stick for shmups so i bought both of the hori entry-level sticks for ps3 and 360. What pieces of shit they were. I ended up giving the ps3 one away, and I am going to do the same with the xbox one. With the help of some certain gaffers, I picked up a Hori Soul Calibur V stick this weekend for use with Gundam EXVS and p4a. The vibe I got was to not bother with sticks that retail for under 100 bucks or so.

Yes Boss!

Luanar15,

Stick is overpriced at $80. Better to go for something a little better with actual arcade parts and more flexibility. Or even wait for one of those sticks to be listed at $99, which often quite frequently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think I finally found the final piece of artwork to add to my custom stick. Mockup soon.

I see a lot of people have 3D previews of what they're stick art would look like on a TE. Does such a thing/PS script exist for the VS stick?

Duxxy3

The fighting stick V3 isn't usually recommended because it's a bitch to mod if you decide to replace the buttons/stick.

hiro4

I got an Tatsunoko vs Capcom Fightstick, which is very similar to the brawl stick.
And it is a good stick for its price.

But as it has been mentioned before, replace the buttons and the stick as fast as possible.
It really makes a lot of difference.

I changed the stick and buttons all with Sanwa parts and put an octogonal restrictor on it. And now it works like a charm. Quick responses and I like the small form factor.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The TVC/BrawlSticks don't have the same parts as the SFIV SE sticks. The TVC/BrawlSticks were actually re-engineered parts wise and the stock stick uses omron micro-switches (same style as Sanwa). However the feel of the stick spring is a little tighter.

The buttons are intended to be a lil mushier/longer throw to be more like a hybrid Sanwa/Seimitsu button.

The parts don't require replacement unless you want a specific feel (Sanwa, Seimitsu or what have you).

---

Also... Octagonal? Really? I wonder how many people really use Octagonal gates. They limit a Sanwa JLF much more than using the default square gate. It's hip to be square. I believe in preference and all that, as that is the most important thing when choosing a stick. But my utmost recommendation will always be square over all.

Also... Octagonal? Really?

:O

3MZSH.jpg

I challenge you to a Gundam Fight!

Beckx

Took the plunge on a Hori Fighting Edge.

Anyone know how long it takes them to ship?

Edit: Shipped yesterday. So for future searchers confused by the Hori order system, wondering how long it takes: I ordered Friday, it shipped Monday, tracking says it will be here Thursday. Will there be pics? Oh yes. Oh yes, there will be pics.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Question, who else besides me went and picked up the "TANK" when SFIV was released? Same as the pic mine is the 360 version.

*Disclaimer, not my pic. Mines kinda back in the closet and just looked. Taking it out for a pic is a bit of a PITA at the moment so snagged someone else's shot.

Awesome stick, but I swear this thing can stop a tank shell. Not to mention break your foot if ever dropped on it due to the sheer weight of this thing.

Yes Boss!

Is this a pretty good stick? Looks like its full Sanwa. How are the RAP V3s compared to Mad Catz's new Fightstick Pros?

Thinking of getting a new PS3 stick for Persona 4 arena...

Just comes down to weather you prefer MC or Hori really. Fightstick Pros are very solid, Horis a little less so. VFFS stick is kinda neat for the different Astro button layout from the standard V3, and white case (not too many Horis have that).

Question, who else besides me went and picked up the "TANK" when SFIV was released? Same as the pic mine is the 360 version.

*Disclaimer, not my pic. Mines kinda back in the closet and just looked. Taking it out for a pic is a bit of a PITA at the moment so snagged someone else's shot.

Awesome stick, but I swear this thing can stop a tank shell. Not to mention break your foot if ever dropped on it due to the sheer weight of this thing.

My wife bought me one of those for Christmas 2010. I use it exclusively for shmups. Love it to death.

Just comes down to weather you prefer MC or Hori really. Fightstick Pros are very solid, Horis a little less so. VFFS stick is kinda neat for the different Astro button layout from the standard V3, and white case (not too many Horis have that).

Amazon has the VFFS for $91 in "good" condition on Warehouse deals. But they also have the SFxT Fightstick Pro for $110. Really wish I hadn't slept on last week's Gold Box deal...

I got my brawstick in today(2nd stick), and I hate the stick and buttons compared to my TE. This was expected, now I just need to shop around for replacements. I notice the Sansa jlf goes for around $30 on amazon, sound about right?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My wife bought me one of those for Christmas 2010. I use it exclusively for shmups. Love it to death.

Yeah I used mine a lot too for shmups good times! My only real complaint is no storage compartment for the cable. You would think they would have made one considering how high quality the friggin case is.

Amazon has the VFFS for $91 in "good" condition on Warehouse deals. But they also have the SFxT Fightstick Pro for $110. Really wish I hadn't slept on last week's Gold Box deal...

I bought both an EX-SE and a V3 from Amazon Warehouse. Both arrived complete and like new. Not saying you'll have the same experience, but so far I'm two for two from them with sticks and wouldn't hesitate to get another one from them.

McNum

Uh-oh. I think my Arcade Stick is broken. Well, my PS3 doesn't see it anymore, nor does my PC throw up its usual error when I try to connect it there. It's like it doesn't exist anymore. That's bad.

It's a Street Fighter IV SE stick modded to use Siemitsu buttons and stick. I think that it may have fried a chip on the PCB. Because there's this black hardened goo-like puddle where I think there used to be a chip. But it's been a while since i last opened my stick, so I honestly don't know if it's supposed to look like this:
ArcadeMeltdown.jpg

Anyone have a SE that can tell me if it's supposed to look like that? Or, well, just know the SF4 SE stick well enough to tell off hand. I'm not an electronics expert, but that looks wrong to me.

Of course, if this is the problem, then there's an obvious question to ask: Now what do I do?

Replace the PCB? Can you do that on an SE? I know there's a ton of custom ones for a TE, but the shape is different. Get a new cheap stick and mod that with the Siemitsu buttons and stick I already have? They're awesome, and I'd hate to waste them... Get a good stick with good buttons built in? Go nuts and build my own? I'd still need a working PCB for that.

I don't know, I'd like to have a working stick by the time TTT2 launches, but if it is the PCB, I wouldn't mind swapping it with one that'll work on my PC as well.

Also, just to make sure I'm not making a fool of myself. The PCB is the circuit board connecting the buttons and stick to the console, right?

Anyone have a SE that can tell me if it's supposed to look like that? Or, well, just know the SF4 SE stick well enough to tell off hand. I'm not an electronics expert, but that looks wrong to me.

The IC on the MadCatz sticks is supposed to look like that.

Could ask MarkMan if they'd still honor your warranty even though you've clearly opened it up. Otherwise, if you don't see any obvious cracks in the IC goo or the PCB itself, I'd try a continuity test to see if your USB cable is still good. A frayed cable is more likely than a dead PCB.

Top Bottom