• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

You guys still think the console will only support 1 Wii U controller? that's pretty disappointing in my opinion. I hope Nintendo makes a great online experience on the console, so I can play with others that have the Wii U controller.

It's seeming less likely that it'll support more than one, but we'll see.

Osaka15

Banned
Bad controller design is horrible. You would have to have a Monster's hand to reach the trigger. I prefer something like the vita as the controller instead.

The only reason I doubt that the square is NFC, is that on phones that already have the device, it doesn't have anything like that. You just hold the phone up to whatever you want to scan, and it works.

Perhaps it's just there for looks. Tell the kids to put their magic toys on that square, just so its' out of the way.

Yet there's a similar one on the bottom-right corner. The mysteries deepen.

Linkhero1

The triggers were supposedly changed to analog some time last year.

And this makes me happy. I'm not going to question the controller anymore.

Now we sit and wait for leaks regarding their online and OS.

Bad controller design is horrible. You would have to have a Monster's hand to reach the trigger. I prefer something like the vita as the controller instead.
Do tell me old chap. Have you actually gotten the controller in your hands and played with it?

w1ncq.jpg

Monster hands?

The only reason I doubt that the square is NFC, is that on phones that already have the device, it doesn't have anything like that. You just hold the phone up to whatever you want to scan, and it works.

Perhaps it's just there for looks. Tell the kids to put their magic toys on that square, just so its' out of the way.

Yet there's a similar one on the bottom-right corner. The mysteries deepen.

The one on the bottom protrudes and is obviously another button.
What for, I don't know.

zigg

The E3 model was amazingly comfortable. It looks so unwieldy but it melted right into my hands.

SykoTech

I wonder how many hours of gameplay will the battery hold on that huge bitch. My DS3 barely lasts a dozen hours before asking to be recharged.

I just hope that it's actually rechargable and doesn't use AA batteries or anything.

Should be an obvious thing, I know. But analog sticks should have been as well, so you never know...

weeman_com

Neo Member
I just got it wrong. I just took a look at the OAMI database again, and based on other registrations (e.g. for the CC, Wii Remote, 3DS) I think it was always a newer iteration.

Ok if its a newer iteration of the Upad what is the small square button in the lower right corner for? It's just sitting there with no detail, looks odd to say the least.
Lets, just hope that IF this is the final design that they will refine the ergonomics a bit.

Ok if its a newer iteration of the Upad what is the small square button in the lower right corner for? It's just sitting there with no detail, looks odd to say the least.
Lets, just hope that IF this is the final design that they will refine the ergonomics a bit.

Sync button is the most logical answer. They have so many space, so they could place such a button directly on the controller.

I just wonder why they would remove such functionality :/

Remove?
Was it ever confirmed that it was added?
I've heard it was rumored, but didn't know if anyone got a source to actually say it was true.
I mean, it's always possible that it could support more, but at the same time, it just isn't something I would count on.

Eric C

That's cool news. What are those little square buttons underneat the d-pad and below the touch screen?

The one under the screen looks like an actual button you can press, the one under the dpad people are guessing that it's the NFC spot.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I call fake.

Or... at least old.

The E3 versions looked more polished design wise and that logo doesn't have the blue part.

Aesthetically, it looks much worse.

Plus, why goes it seem even wider in that pic?

alf717

The only thing I noticed was no hexagon shape thingy like the other Nintendo consoles have. It seems to be completely round.

KillGore

Remove?
I've heard it was rumored, but didn't know if anyone got a source to actually say it was true.
I mean, it's always possible that it could support more, but at the same time, it just isn't something I would count on.

Doesn't seem likely that they will support it. A shame too IMO

weeman_com

Neo Member
Sync button is the most logical answer. They have so many space, so they could place such a button directly on the controller.

True, though they typically made is red to differentiate it from other buttons. Just to fool proof the instructions manual. It could be the button to retract gameplay from the TV to the Upad itself. June cannot come faster!

Shiggy

Remove?

I heard from pretty a credible source that there was a demonstration, which allowed the use of two Wii U pads simultaneously, at Nintendo last fall. That source can be considered trustworthy; I had not believed it before that either.

nordique

Looks absolutely amazing.

Now we know what the Gearbox President meant when he said to Gamespot in the Aliens CM interview about this being the best Nintendo controller yet.

I can believe it. Look at how awesome those sticks look! And no more 8-pronged octagonal "fence" anymore.

I heard from pretty a credible source that there was a demonstration, which allowed the use of two Wii U pads simultaneously, at Nintendo last fall. That source can be considered trustworthy; I had not believed it before that either.

Yeah? Then I suppose it's very possible. It would be nice, I'll admit (even though I don't do local multiplayer much these days).

Agent X

Comparison of the two layouts.

bvgFm.gif

The new one is a definite improvement.

ColdBlooder proposed that it could be a sync button, so that's one possibility. I think something like that might be tucked in a more out-of-the-way spot, though.

It could be used for some other unrevealed auxiliary function, such as to turn off the screen (if it's not being used, such as when a game is paused), or as a microphone button to start a voice chat or initiate a voice command.

KillGore

How much do you think these controllers retail for then? If they allow the use of more than one Wii U controller then they have to sell it on retail stores.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What are those little square buttons underneath the d-pad and below the touch screen?

I was wondering the same thing...

Anyway, I really like the new design, though I wonder why they placed the analog sticks above the dpad and face buttons? It seems a little uncomfortable/awkward.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

There wasn't a demostration with two Wii U pads simultaneously. The info was at documents NoE's representatives and distributors got at the meeting last August.

But the demonstration indeed had wireless controllers.

weeman_com

Neo Member
Yeah? Then I suppose it's very possible. It would be nice, I'll admit (even though I don't do local multiplayer much these days).

TBH, I dont care if it supports more than 1 Upad because it will more than likely only be me playing this system in my house, no multiplayer either. Except for online. If I was for playing this system with other people it would be the usual session of taking turns, so 1 Upad is enough for that!

lacinius

Looks like a good design and I'm really liking the design of the undercarriage... like the kind of thing you want to hold in your hands all day.

Then there is the survey that showed two people playing with their U Tablets at the same time.

I think they got it to handle 2 at once, though they might be able to stream to 4 if they don't push the system power at all, like in a really basic game a la "Measure Up" from their tech demos.

Top Bottom