• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

vgmvinyl.jpg

There has been a big resurgence in vinyl records as collectors items. CD's are dead compared to digital/streaming media, but the vinyl record has found a new life during this era of media. Sound quality is often great, you can select tracks, coloured vinyl and big cover art with gatefold sleeves is a thing of beauty. I don't see C-cassettes or MiniDisc doing a return but vinyl and digital music can coexist.

Movie soundtracks on vinyl have never died and we've had a steady amount of great VGM released on vinyl as well!

Most of this stuff is very limited and expensive, but cool as hell as collectables.

Check lists of stuff available(released):
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/lists/Video-Game-Music-on-Vinyl/196505
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_released_on_vinyl

List of Upcoming/Rumoured titles:
http://blipblop.net/upcoming-releases//

Check this selection of under 500$ record players:
https://imgur.com/a/u7Bey

What items you have in your collection? Any lost gems?

I dunno about vinyl but you reminded me to check out the Blood Dragon soundtrack so thank you! And I'll still take CD over vinyl.

I love my Hotline Miami 2 vinyl, cost a bomb getting it shipped to Germany but it's fantastic.
I didn't realise there was a MGR vinyl, I'll have to keep a look out for it.

I have just the one. (It is about the only video game soundtrack I listen to regularly.) They put out some nice coloured vinyl as special editions but I only have the regular one.

0zK6gk5.png

XaosWolf

I have the FFVII Limited Edition soundtrack vinyls:

R-5163968-1386247264-5430.jpeg.jpg

and the P4A pre order vinyl:
18isnpxal0k5ojpg.jpg

Both are awesome and gorgeous to look at.

That Metal Gear Rising vinyl is something I need, and I really want Sonic Rush's Original Groove Rush on a vinyl as that would be fantastic.

I've got Hotline Miami 2, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, and GTAV. I really want to get Red Dead but it's so expensive these days. Bummed I missed it the first time.

Rndm

I still have the Vinyl with the BioShock 1 soundtrack that was included in the BioShock 2 Special Edition. It's pretty cool, even though I do not really have a record player set up. But at least I got it ripped.

On topic. I think vinyls are cool and there is definitely a place for them to exist. Most albums to get a vinyl release nowadays, so I see nothing wrong with game soundtracks also getting released on vinyls.

However, I do actually prefer a lossless digital release. The quality of vinyls is amazing, better than a CD, but with digital there is no reason for not having the same quality. But publishers are stupid and most of the time release soundtracks on iTunes or like Sony in their store in pretty average quality. Someone needs to change that.

My vinyl game OST collection:

Red Dead Redemption
Shatter
Halo 1
Bioshock
Scott Pilgrim
Persona 4 Arena
S&S EP
Metal Gear Rising
Far Cry: Blood Dragon
GTA: V

Pepin

I have just the one. (It is about the only video game soundtrack I listen to regularly.) They put out some nice coloured vinyl as special editions but I only have the regular one.

0zK6gk5.png

Oh my god. Is that still on sale anywhere? By The Wall is one of my favourite tracks from anything ever.

jacobeid

Banned
That I haven't listened to Blood Dragon or that you're an elitist snob?

I don't think that preferring Vinyl over CDs is snobbery.

It has less to do with the medium itself (CD vs. Vinyl) and more to do with production. CDs these days are typically pretty bare bones in terms of liner notes/art/etc. whereas vinyl is typically pretty good about including this sort of stuff, which is one of the biggest appeals for physical media. Not to mention the fact that vinyls typically come with download codes for 320mbps MP3s so you get a better quality digital copy as well.

Mondo is releasing The Last of Us OST on vinyl this year, that's going to sell out every quickly

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Personally I'd love to own the Red Dead soundtrack but 2010 was before I re-invested into my sound equipment and the price is too rich for my blood. I did however listen to the Hohokum soundtrack last night after playing the game for a little while :)

I don't think that preferring Vinyl over CDs is snobbery.

It has less to do with the medium itself (CD vs. Vinyl) and more to do with production. CDs these days are typically pretty bare bones in terms of liner notes/art/etc. whereas vinyl is typically pretty good about including this sort of stuff, which is one of the biggest appeals for physical media. Not to mention the fact that vinyls typically come with download codes for 320mbps MP3s so you get a better quality digital copy as well.

My big issue with vinyl is that, if the album wasn't originally made with Vinyl in mind or if it wasn't first recorded onto vinyl, you're getting a much higher sound quality with CD over it.

Some people like that gritty sound and the better album art with Vinyl, though. I won't pay too much of a premium for it, but I do love a good vinyl record. I got Glen Hansard to sign my Swell Season vinyl cover earlier this year, and I prefer that over a CD sleeve any day.

There's a ton of unjustified snobbery around with vinyl elitism, though, so I can see where he got that opinion. Vinyl isn't always better, though some people swear it is.

Back on topic, though, thanks for the link. There's some good stuff on here.

Already have a couple of gaming vinyls, there's something wonderbly strange about listening to the sounds of a very modern medium on a very a unmodern medium. Real sad I missed the limited release of the Shatter soundtrack though, that might be the best soundtrack of last gen.

Real sad I missed the limited release of the Shatter soundtrack though, that might be the best soundtrack of last gen.

i'm in the same boat, i only started collecting these last August.

Missed out on Shatter, Red Dead Redemption and Retro City Rampage and they are stupidly expensive now. There is also a Ryu Ga Gotoku(Yakuza) PSP spinoff soundtrack on vinyl that i haven't even seen a photo of but i need it in my life.

Was super lucky and found the pink Blood Dragon for 35$ a month ago in cdandlp.com new, did not accept the regular black version that is still available though for those in the need.

Gruso

This is my only game music record:

AUI6L7q.jpg

It was an Aus pre-order bonus with the Megadrive Ultimate Collection in 2009.

I'd grab more if I was ever given the opportunity, but my one and only vinyl game soundtrack is the Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game soundtrack from Record Store Day a few years back.

zKrGOiO.jpg

My brother has the Dreamcast Collection vinyl, mad jealous of that.

pVLAwLv.jpg

Seems like something I could really get into collecting when I've got disposable income

I want to know who the target demographic for this is

I've seen them down at my local record store, have been sitting there for at least a year now. They're so ugly.

jacobeid

Banned
My big issue with vinyl is that, if the album wasn't originally made with Vinyl in mind or if it wasn't first recorded onto vinyl, you're getting a much higher sound quality with CD over it.

Some people like that gritty sound and the better album art with Vinyl, though. I won't pay too much of a premium for it, but I do love a good vinyl record. I got Glen Hansard to sign my Swell Season vinyl cover earlier this year, and I prefer that over a CD sleeve any day.

There's a ton of unjustified snobbery around with vinyl elitism, though, so I can see where he got that opinion. Vinyl isn't always better, though some people swear it is.

You are absolutely correct. With new releases I'm always looking to find out whether the vinyl copies are digitally sourced or analog sourced, etc. In fact I purchased two CDs just yesterday.

There's absolutely no reason to go for Vinyl if it's a straight needle-drop transfer, UNLESS there's something in the physical package that the CD doesn't include.

I don't think that anyone can deny that there's a lot of vinyl elitism. I'm just happy that people still like to pay for the music that they listen to.

I'll be completely honest, most of what I own on vinyl would sound technically better as a digital file. I don't buy vinyl for better 'quality', and I think it's silly for people do to so. It's an inferior format when compared to lossless digital IMO.

That said, I buy vinyl records of the albums I really really like. There's a nice tangibility that comes with a big physical piece of music, that is lost when I buy the same album on iTunes.

There's also something nice about the tea ceremony around setting up a record to listen to. To listen to a record, you have to really want to listen to it, go to the effort of setting it up and you can't skip around tracks. It forces me to listen through albums in their entirety and there's just something nice about the whole procedure that makes no sense but I like it anyway.

entremet

I'd love to get into vinyl. But I have enough expensive hobbies. Don't want to go down that rabbit hole of wallet destroying fun.

CDs are still not dead. If the music was recorded digitally I'm going to probably buy it on a CD but if it was recorded analog I'll buy it in vinyl. To be honest though both forms are very nice and it's hard to tell the difference unless you have hoyndreds or thousands of dollars of equimebrs

jacobeid

Banned
I'll be completely honest, most of what I own on vinyl would sound technically better as a digital file. I don't buy vinyl for better 'quality', and I think it's silly for people do to so. It's an inferior format when compared to lossless digital IMO.

That said, I buy vinyl records of the albums I really really like. There's a nice tangibility that comes with a big physical piece of music, that is lost when I buy the same album on iTunes.

There's also something nice about the tea ceremony around setting up a record to listen to. To listen to a record, you have to really want to listen to it, go to the effort of setting it up and you can't skip around tracks. It forces me to listen through albums in their entirety and there's just something nice about the whole procedure that makes no sense but I like it anyway.

This post is perfection. Brother.gif

Exactly.
This is how I feel. I totally have some vinyl, and a halfway decent turntable to play them. A great deal of the records are older (Bill Cosby standups, Simon & Garfunkel, other classics), but my all time favorite albums I'll totally get in Vinyl, regardless of the inferior sound quality. Like you said, there's a certain tangibility and permanence in vinyl music.

I'd love to get into vinyl. But I have enough expensive hobbies. Don't want to go down that rabbit hole of wallet destroying fun.

What I did to get started was first investing in a turntable, then start asking for vinyl records as gifts in lieu of other things I'd normally ask for. That's how I got over half of my albums. It's kind of a "luxury," so it's something that's hard to justify buying yourself (particularly if you don't have much disposable income). However, it's a perfect gift, since it has sentimental value to you.

jacobeid

Banned

I guess that I'm fortunate, but I was a jazz studies major in college so I'm able to pick up vinyl cheaper than CDs, typically. Probably because not a lot of people want to buy used jazz records these days :p

New vinyl does kill my wallet though. It's weird that I have to really debate spending $60 on a game but I'll spend $33 on a D'Angelo reissue because all of the copies on Discogs are over $150.

Indeed! i often listen to vinyl on sundays while reading comics on my ipad (perverse, i know)

But this way i really listen to an album more, as opposed to my normal Spotify routine of just having an endless amount of tracks in a playlist on shuffle.

Brofield

Blood Dragon vinyl is next level, bruv

IMG_1585.jpg

Love that soundtrack to death. Though I didn't know Hotline Miami also had a vinyl soundtrack, I'll have to go hunt that down.

Wow, Wipeout and Xenogears had Vinyls? Those are two awesome things I'll probably never end up owning.

Edit: Oh, looks like the Wipeout one isn't too expensive. Xenogears on the other hand.

I didn't know this was a thing. I love the idea but I haven't the time or space for vinyl. Glad someone can enjoy the experience though.

RhyDin

There really aren't many I'd care for, maybe Scott Pilgrim, Wipeout, the Outrun that sixteen-bit posted and FF7 limited edition (which is absurdly expensive). There certainly aren't enough releases on vinyl and most of the good ones came out of Japan, it seems.

FBKEOK2.jpg

I only own this, which isn't really a soundtrack, per se - it has a few tunes but is really meant for DJ's for mixing with videogame sound effects.

The only one I knew of is Mario Syndrome, which is a remix album which came out in 1986, the year after SMB came out. It remixes the original Super Mario Bros. music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQcGIcYatdQ (side A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esG6R43N78A (side B)

Though apparently there are others, like this Super Mario Bros. remix from 1985:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QturNQ8_D-A (side A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gPxkJ7Vec0 (side B)

I wish I owned one of them... and a record player, lol.

It's a little fascinating to me because video game music was barely a thing in 1985.

I like vinyl if only because the big sleeve shows off the album art and it usually has a lot of extra goodies and liner notes, on top of feeling like a more substantial purchase than just a regular cd or a digital album.

I have the newer release of the Blood Dragon soundtrack, so no pink vinyls for me. Can't really think of many other game soundtracks I'd want to buy, probably just some older stuff.

And because the cover is cool as fuck I framed it and set it up to block one side of the Ikea shelf I'm using as a room divider:
I must say I was a bit surprised last weekend when I was looking around in a record store and I found the Order soundtrack.

Top Bottom