• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Sega Spectrum?

jstripes

Banned
Not sure if serious.... but I could totally see this as a real possibility. Microsoft will never get anywhere in the Japanese market... but if the console is branded as a Sega console...

Semi-serious, actually. The Xbox brand is poison in Japan at this point, so I don't think it's too far-off a possibility for Microsoft to shift responsibility to Sega.

I'd put my money on it being mobile related. Maybe it's new hardware - or maybe it's just a software distribution platform for their older console releases. Think a mobile - based Steam, separate from the app store, that specializes in "real" games.

Semi-serious, actually. The Xbox brand is poison in Japan at this point, so I don't think it's too far-off a possibility for Microsoft to shift responsibility to Sega.
Problem being at this point all Sega's consistent sellers seem to be on Nintendo and/or PlayStation hardware (Sonic, Yakuza, Miku, retro stuff, PSO, etc). Taking over Xbox in Japan might be a boon for Microsoft, but I'm not so sure it'd really be good for Sega, especially if it locked them out from other hardware.

Problem being at this point all Sega's consistent sellers seem to be on Nintendo and/or PlayStation hardware (Sonic, Yakuza, Miku, retro stuff, PSO, etc). Taking over Xbox in Japan might be a boon for Microsoft, but I'm not so sure it'd really be good for Sega, especially if it locked them out from other hardware.

Well, they are consistant sellers on Nintendo and Sony hardware in Japan because the x-box brand is poison. It's very chicken and egg. I could see them pursuing this, and who knows, if it paid off well enough for them they might be tempted to toe back into the hardware market for real.

Teknoman

Probably something you play at a urinal. Not even kidding.

But wouldn't it be cool if MS worked out a deal with sega to make the next xbox a sega console in japan?

Would be cool if it happened here too...

In all seriousness, if Sega ever came back into hardware...what about their main franchises? They've already appeared on all other platforms.

Takao

Banned
Not sure if serious.... but I could totally see this as a real possibility. Microsoft will never get anywhere in the Japanese market... but if the console is branded as a Sega console...

It would still go no where, and based on Nagoshi seemingly confirming a new Yakuza for PS4 that isn't going to happen anyways.

It would still go no where, and based on Nagoshi seemingly confirming a new Yakuza for PS4 that isn't going to happen anyways.

Brand has an incredibly influence in Japan. As for your second point, unless they signed an exclusivity clause with Sega could only publish it's games on X-box hardware, there is no reason they couldn't release software on multiple systems.

If Microsoft is just looking for a way into the Japanese market on a more serious level, them licensing Sega's name may be a huge step in that way. Microsoft doesn't seem content with just leaving the Japanese market behind, no matter how badly they are doing in it.

Sega taking over Xbox marketing and distribution in Japan? :p
Would be the most realistic way to see old first party Sega on a modern console again in that Sega fanboy way. It would complete Isao Okawa's now more than decade-old plan to sell or merge Sega with MS/XBOX. Would be more beneficial to XBOX than Sega, initially, if they went all-in with one console platform, but it could mean a return to single platform focus that clearly benefited Sega's software since they have just a handful of successful original products since Dreamcast was killed off and had very little serious console success outside of milking Sonic. Their PC side of software is good, so making a move toward MS would be more of an all-around win even if it meant a loss of multi-platform sales.

Welcome back SEGA, its been a long wait.

Im predicting 16 GB of DDR5 and a mind reading controller (and Blast processing for the win).

Launch titles to include -

Sonic X, Dynamite Deka 3, Mars Matrix 2, Power Stone 3, Sega Rally 3

Takao

Banned
Brand has an incredibly influence in Japan. As for your second point, unless they signed an exclusivity clause with Sega could only publish it's games on X-box hardware, there is no reason they couldn't release software on multiple systems.

If Microsoft is just looking for a way into the Japanese market on a more serious level, them licensing Sega's name may be a huge step in that way. Microsoft doesn't seem content with just leaving the Japanese market behind, no matter how badly they are doing in it.

Brand means nothing if you don't have the software to back it up, and allowing the limited amount of relevant SEGA software onto competing platforms would ensure a niche existence for the platform. SEGA Sammy really only has 1 relevant home console franchise in Japan, and that's Yakuza.

Subscription based game service for Android launching with Genesis ports of Golden Axe, Columns, Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic. $19.99 a month + download fees.

Virtua Cop 4, Live Free or Die Hard Arcade, Shinobi's Back!, Outrun3, JSR3, new Yu Suzaki IP, Shenmue 5 port, and a brand new Comix Zone

Oh, and Sonic 4: Episode 3

TedNindo

Welcome back SEGA, its been a long wait.

Im predicting 16 GB of DDR5 and a mind reading controller (and Blast processing for the win).

Launch titles to include -

Sonic X, Dynamite Deka 3, Mars Matrix 2, Power Stone 3, Sega Rally 3

Omg the possibilites. Imagine playing a mediocre Sonic game using 16GB of DDR5 with your mind!

Shion

Shenmue III, Sonic, Shinobi, OutRun 3, Phantasy Star V, Monster World V and an open-world Panzer Dragoon game at launch.

Day 1.

Broach

Banned
Ringedge2 just launched last year.

Most of the time Sega tries to have 2 Arcade systems running. One for less and more demanding games. So far, the Ringedge 2 only has Card games and stuff like that...

Now with a potential new Arcade hardware, Sega (and Sammy) would try to do something bold. Something that would re-vitalize even the declining Arcade market in Japan, as hard as they can. With the Ringedge they had a online infrastructure, and the previous ones where just pretty powerful.

Partnering with the Ocolus Rift, and built Arcade games around it...that would get people outside of homes, no?

ekim

Most of the time Sega tries to have 2 Arcade systems running. One for less and more demanding games. So far, the Ringedge 2 only has Card games and stuff like that...

Now with a potential new Arcade hardware, Sega (and Sammy) would try to do something bold. Something that would re-vitalize even the declining Arcade market in Japan, as hard as they can. With the Ringedge they had a online infrastructure, and the previous ones where just pretty powerful.

Partnering with the Ocolus Rift, and built Arcade games around it...that would get people outside of homes, no?

Hm... Could be right. I'm not into arcade games cause in Germany there are none...

It wasn't a Saturn Prototype after all. It was viral marketing :p

MB3T9wR.jpg

It's obviously not a new console, but if it WAS I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I don't care how much it costs or what games it has.

Dreamcast was the best and Border Break looked fucking awesome.

Cody_D165

Banned
Lol @ all the trolling in here

Interesting stuff here though, wonder what they're up to? New console is lolimpossible of course but it makes you wonder.

i herd its will be a new console wich is more powerfell then the gaming PC and will have shining force 4 and bayonetta 2:good graphics edishun as launch titel i know coz my dad works at dreamcast.

Did ringwide/ringedge actually have any success? I remember everyone saying they could adapt that into a new console, just like most of their consoles were consolized arcade boards.

Top Bottom