• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Sandfox

So how long is Secret Warriors supposed to go for? Because it keeps getting more and more fun.

Is it?
I wouldn't get my hopes up about it lasting much longer than the Legacy arc. The Inhumans ResurrXion push clearly failed and the creators will probably get moved to other stuff.

You seem knowledgeable.
I would say the closest I have to areas of expertise are X-Men and Inhumans. And maybe Nightwing, if we're talking purely solo stuff.
Didn't they do the same thing with Songbird?
Yes, but double standards and her costume js dope. Mockingbird's best costume is the Chelsea Cain look, followed by her AoS look.

Mockingbird_1_Cover.jpg

marvelsagentsofshield_mockingbird_firstlook_0a_1.jpg
I wouldn't get my hopes up about it lasting much longer than the Legacy arc. The Inhumans ResurrXion push clearly failed and the creators will probably get moved to other stuff.
But it's so much fun. Feels very much in the spirit of Hickman's stuff, though it feels a bit lighter (most likely due to the art style).

Put Abigail Brand in charge of that shit. Pull Karnak, Kamala, and Moon Girl. Put in Naja and Panacea, and Robbie Reyes.

Sandfox

I would say the closest I have to areas of expertise are X-Men and Inhumans. And maybe Nightwing, if we're talking purely solo stuff.

Yes, but double standards and her costume js dope. Mockingbird's best costume is the Chelsea Cain look, followed by her AoS look.

But it's so much fun. Feels very much in the spirit of Hickman's stuff, though it feels a bit lighter (most likely due to the art style).

Put Abigail Brand in charge of that shit. Pull Karnak, Kamala, and Moon Girl. Put in Naja and Panacea, and Robbie Reyes.

I love everything Rosenberg puts out. Dude is such a great writer.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
@unbeatablesg on twitter has spent all day naming the squirrels in the pictures that people are sending in.

My Favorites: Max Cahoots, Sanderson Anderson, and Colossus (the metal guy stole the name from the squirrel).

as if you could have been referencing anyone else who posts here
If it makes you feel better, I tease out of respect. You know literally everything about Silver-Age DC, Kirby, and Legion of Superheroes conceivable. Then there's Donnie, the living incarnation of the Mignolaverse.
I love everything Rosenberg puts out. Dude is such a great writer.
I only read two issues of Kingpin CW2 tie-in, but it was enjoyable.

Sandfox

If it makes you feel better, I tease out of respect. You know literally everything about Silver-Age DC, Kirby, and Legion of Superheroes conceivable. Then there's Donnie, the living incarnation of the Mignolaverse.

I only read two issues of Kingpin CW2 tie-in, but it was enjoyable.

The book that came afterwards is basically a character study on the Kingpin that shows us how he ticks and became the man he is. The CW2 book was good and this blew it away IMO.

Messi

Rafael Alberquerque has said on twitter that post All Star Batman he will be taking a long break from comics to recharge for new projects.

:(

Sandfox

Q:Is there a future for Riri Williams past September? Just wondering after checking out some solicites. Thanks in advance.

A:hell yes!

nothing has changed. we're big into riri!

she is one of the major players in the search for Tony Stark and she features strongly in marvel legacy special from jason and essad.

big news for riri in the coming months. I have been asked to stop by MIT in November to talk about all of it. more info soon...
Ironheart book?

I finally caught up on every single book in my pull list. Cut back a bit too, pretty much cutting everything I don't bother to read until the next issue is upon me.

My favorite books right now (not counting a few books on extended hiatus):
East of West
The Mighty Thor
The Black Monday Murders
Shirtless Bear-Fighter
Motor Girl
Extremity
Shade, the Changing Girl
Jessica Jones
Saga
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

So, I'm finally gonna finish Giant Days and a couple of other things I've put off for a long time. And then I'm gonna put together a Metal reading list. That first issue was extremely effective at making me want to check out/revisit all sorts of stuff.

But I'm gonna try to wrap all that up in a couple of weeks and pick up a novel, which I haven't done in a very long time. We'll see, I might be deep in Metal background for a bit here ;p

And if Invincible goes on sale again I'm gonna catch up on that, too

VanWinkle

Was happy to find this at my local comic shop! Chris Yost's run on Red Robin. These trades go for about $25 each online, but I got them for $8.99 each. This shop doesn't have MANY collected editions, but occasionally they have a really nice price. I found Batwoman Elegy Deluxe awhile back there too, when it was harder to find.

RnoNEuP.jpg

Been wanting to read this for awhile.

VanWinkle

I want to be done with Watchmen. It's incredibly good, mind, you, but it's so dark and taking forever to read. Each issue is 28 pages of super dense comics and 4 full pages of prose.

I want to be done with Watchmen. It's incredibly good, mind, you, but it's so dark and taking forever to read. Each issue is 28 pages of super dense comics and 4 full pages of prose.

I enjoyed it when I read it, but I don't know how I'd feel about it if I tried retreading the material now. The thought of Watchmen as its own work makes me kinda sleepy these days. Though I'm interested in seeing how the characters are merged into the DCU before hopefully being murdered by Darkseid.

mreddie

Why wouldn't it be? She is a Bendis creation no? He also writes the best version of her tbh.

I would rather have Whitley write her but I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Bendis gets on that. Also kinda sad I named a white guy to write her but then again, Marvel has jackshit to convince people to write for them.

WTF? Isn't Arana still a teenager?
She's like, just barely 18.
Was happy to find this at my local comic shop! Chris Yost's run on Red Robin. These trades go for about $25 each online, but I got them for $8.99 each. This shop doesn't have MANY collected editions, but occasionally they have a really nice price. I found Batwoman Elegy Deluxe awhile back there too, when it was harder to find.

RnoNEuP.jpg

Been wanting to read this for awhile.

God I want to read that. Chris Yost on Tim Drake? There is a god.

I like Danny on The Defenders because then I can go to the bathroom or grab something in the kitchen, y'know? There's no commercial breaks anymore.

Sandfox

Why bother with a Monsters Unleashed book?

Gen X?

America?

-America is obvious.

-Gen X is because they wanted a book focusing on the school and student again.

-Monsters Unleashed was apparently a story Marvel has wanted to do for years. I would expect the ongoing to get two trades and be done.

Why bother with a Monsters Unleashed book?

Gen X?

America?

I agree with all of these things? I understand wanting the books on the surface, but America is the only one I envisioned as a possible seller and that required a book that was very much on point.

Here's the problem. New character gets a bit of heat. They give them a book, perhaps before that character is fully able to support a solo. The solo tanks, because most of the time, outside of a few big names, that's what happens.

And the takeaway? Not "we pushed the character too early" or "we didn't support them with proper marketing" or even "th audience for this book doesn't read traditional floppies". It's "this character isn't popular."

I like Miss America, but she's better served by a well-written ensemble book, like the Young Avengers series that made her popular. In the same way that Star Lord, Rocket, and Groot are better served by a kickass Guardians of the Galaxy. Riri doesn't have the Carol Danvers field that means Marvel will publish her hell or high water. I want her to stay around. I think, in a world where Tony Stark is the lead of an Iron Man book, that'll happen if she stays a part of the Iron Man book proper, in a miniseries, or in a team book. Luke Cage isn't pulling great numbers in a solo, but he remains key in Defenders (and in Jessica Jones, where the name of Bendis keeps sales a bit stronger). That's what I'm talking about here.

I want Marvel (and DC) to use characters wisely.

Sandfox

I agree with all of these things? I understand wanting the books on the surface, but America is the only one I envisioned as a possible seller and that required a book that was very much on point.

Here's the problem. New character gets a bit of heat. They give them a book, perhaps before that character is fully able to support a solo. The solo tanks, because most of the time, outside of a few big names, that's what happens.

And the takeaway? Not "we pushed the character too early" or "we didn't support them with proper marketing" or even "th audience for this book doesn't read traditional floppies". It's "this character isn't popular."

I like Miss America, but she's better served by a well-written ensemble book, like the Young Avengers series that made her popular. In the same way that Star Lord, Rocket, and Groot are better served by a kickass Guardians of the Galaxy. Riri doesn't have the Carol Danvers field that means Marvel will publish her hell or high water. I want her to stay around. I think, in a world where Tony Stark is the lead of an Iron Man book, that'll happen if she stays a part of the Iron Man book proper, in a miniseries, or in a team book. Luke Cage isn't pulling great numbers in a solo, but he remains key in Defenders (and in Jessica Jones, where the name of Bendis keeps sales a bit stronger). That's what I'm talking about here.

Riri joining the Champions wouldn't be surprising. We'll see if America ends up somewhere else now that Ultimates is done.

Amen.

But also it would help if America's writer actually understood anything about the character on any level whatsoever. Let's take this super punk chick and say that she's bored being a kickass superhero with an awesome girlfriend, because it's time for school.

That book is terrible.
Riri joining the Champions wouldn't be surprising. We'll see if America ends up somewhere else now that Ultimates is done.
Or, and hear me out, she gets put into a good book.

Took a second look at the solicits and is it just me or does it look like USAvengers is ending at #12? Poor Ewing lost both his big team books one after the other and Rocket is also gone.

Wanderer5

Took a second look at the solicits and is it just me or does it look like USAvengers is ending at #12? Poor Ewing lost both his big team books one after the other and Rocket is also gone.

Heh the cover does feel that way. Man and a good chunk of what there has been so far is tied in to Secret Empire.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Pulls
Birthright #28
Black Science #33
Copperhead #16
Curse Words #10
Elsewhere #4
Extremity #8
Kill Or Be Killed #14
Kill The Minotaur #6
Lazarus: X+66 #5 (Of 6)