• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

Anon67

Really enjoyed it, maybe the best film I've seen this year? I've never been tensed up when watching a film since Gravity. I may watch it a second time.

For some reason, the screen at my theater was shake-y af, which really concerned me because I thought it would ruin the whole experience, but man the immersion, the audio, cinematography was so amazing that I stopped noticing it. What a great film.

Roge_NES

Went to see it today on regular 70MM, worth every cent.
It's definitely one of Nolan's finest works, it grabs you right from the beginning and it continues at a pace where there's no room for slow scenes or time to attach to the characters.

All you get is a window in time where you see event as it unfolds.

Christopher Nolan, Hoyte van Hoytema and Hans Zimmer sure make a dangerous trio.

Went to see it a second time, and holy fuck it was even better than the first viewing (Which is one hell of an achievement). This will easily be my first 4K Blu-Ray purchase next to Blade Runner.

Dr.JayP

Absolutely sublime. Just came back from my IMAX screening and the whole theatre was clapping at the end.

I have so much I want to say, but I'm just going to go to bed and collect my thoughts. This film is a benchmark for visual and audio storytelling.

Phenomenal movie, definitely some of the best cinematography I've seen...On the edge of your seat for almost 2 hours . Need to watch it again.

Dommo

I can't believe I'm gonna say this about the director that brought us The Prestige of all things, but I'm starting to think that Nolan really isn't all that meticulous or obsessive a filmmaker as some of his contemporaries.

I actually really enjoyed Dunkirk, but it often felt... bare for lack of a better word.

The beach segment in particular felt strangely bare-bones and simplistic, like there weren't enough elements or creative ways of showing the horrors of the situation. Like, soldiers in their line are all pretty clearly exhausted, and wanting to get out, but their individual emotions never really ebb and flow beyond that. Like how are these guys getting food? Were they running out of it? Were they starving? Was it cold there? It didn't seem like they had much shelter/warmth - were there soldiers freezing to death? The nazis were closing in, but it never really felt like they were surrounded. I understand Nolan wanted to show it from specific perspectives, which was absolutely the right choice, but he seemed to do it to an unnecessary degree, like he'd created a little rule for himself: "No ever seeing an actual nazi." Why? Wouldn't it be effective seeing these little dots of nazis off in the distance closing in slowly? At the start of the film they're much further away, and later on you can see their lines have drawn nearer? Like a tidal wave they can't outrun? This is a survival film. Adding layers of problems slowly choking these characters out with a vice grip seems vital to me.

What are these soldiers doing on a day to day basis to keep themselves busy/not go insane? Are some of them going insane? I wanted to see the starkly different experiences and reactions to how these people are dealing with the extreme situation they're thrust into. You compare it to Cameron's Titanic - some people are calm and collected, some are panicked messes, some are suicidal, some are content with just sitting and waiting for their fate, some push back against the structured order they're being bureaucratically forced into, knowing that order isn't going to save their lives now. Like why didn't anyone challenge Branagh at any point? "We have just as much right to be on this boat as anyone else! You could fit plenty more people on the boat!" When the bombs start dropping, why are they literally all just ducking? Surely a heap of them on the pier would have just jumped off into the ocean, preferring to freeze to death than wait to be blown to bits. The moment where the guy drops his equipment and strolls into the ocean, attempting to fucking swim back home was great, harrowing stuff. It's the kind of logical insanity these guys would be going through. The film needed more of this. This plethora of human reaction to an insane situation is, surely, the meat and potatoes of a film like this. Not the spectacle itself - the humans and their immediate struggles.

I'm reminded of the scene from Atonement set on Dunkirk, and while the two films aren't trying to do the same thing with the event, I can't help but compare the far more detailed and rich variety of human experience that Joe Wright manages to communicate in just one scene that Nolan can't quite match in his entire film. This is just a visual example and doesn't really speak to the heart of what I'm talking about, but it's a good entry point into what I'm saying:

Xhl9kER.jpg
YioNlDs.jpg

Basically, if the beach soldiers were analogous to a character, that character was pretty one-note: tired, scared and uniform. That character should have been a gradient of tired, scared, petrified, insane, desperate, determined, defeated, ordered, chaotic, rebellious, devastated, miserable, optimistic etc.

I couldn't ever call Nolan lazy, but it seemed like he didn't have as strong a grasp on the minute details of what it would have been like on Dunkirk, only the macro large scale stuff.

His best film since at least Inception though.

robotrock

Banned
So what part of the movie was the 6 minute preview people saw months ago? Also what movie did you have to see to get that preview

Saudades

Oooh I'll have to look that up.

Edit: found it. Definitely gonna watch it thursday. 31 meters high!
Actually it's 31 meters wide lol. 22.4 meters high. Still smaller than Melbourne IMAX screen, but it's the biggest one for a cinema multiplex.
Good luck trying to get tickets for that tho, if you want good seats. I've been trying all week.

The big difference between the movies is that Gravity has an emotional core.
FTFY

Lamel

Banned
Just saw it at the Lincoln square IMAX. Holy moly. Those dogfight scenes are the best I've ever seen.

Cat Party

I've always loved Spitfires. My favorite plane since I was a kid. Seeing and hearing them in this movie was such a treat. Such a legendary aircraft.

I also thought it was really neat that we never saw the Germans at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So what part of the movie was the 6 minute preview people saw months ago? Also what movie did you have to see to get that preview

it was attached in front of Rouge One and King Kong IMAX screenings.

It was basically a glorified trailer, not the usual prologue scenes. starts off with Mark Rylance leaving with his son and his son's friend. Then cuts b/w them getting ready to leave and the first spitfire fight where Tom Hardy goes 'I am on him' and takes out the first german plane, and finally the scene where the main character and the french guy take the stretcher across the boardwalk to the ship. The soundtrack was a ticking clock which slowly ramps up towards the end and the prologue ends with the shot of everyone ducking when the german plans show up. they show the title right there and there is a short after credit scene where tom hardy's plane runs out of few.

it was spectacular.

Boogs31

I don't understand the idea that people are calling this a masterpiece and/or Nolan's best film. I couldn't disagree more. Saw it last night, thought it was good, 7.5 out of 10. Memento is Nolan's masterpiece, this doesn't come close to that.

There were some really cool shots/set pieces, but that was about it. While at times I felt tense, the scenes didn't feel like they built off of each other or gain any sort of momentum. By the end, when Nolan's exaggerated score kicked in, I wasn't invested in the story or any of the characters enough to care.

Qvoth

Just finished
Can anyone explain how
Cillian Murphy's character ended up alone on a crashed plane in the middle of the sea?
We saw him in Dunkirk when his small boat picked up the 3 "main" characters

slider

Hmm. Can't quite decide how I feel about the lack of character depth/development.

I keep thinking that it being deliberately light on that front was fine. Sometimes I think that the emotional punch came to me simply from the horror of war aspect.

I shouldn't have wandered off whilst posting this. I've lost my train of thought...

Protome

Here's my one probably dumb question that was bothering me at the end.
When the navy are requisitioning small boats, we see them put their own sailors and captains on them and so the one we follow has to run off on its own so that he can captain his own boat. So, why when the small boats show up at Dunkirk are every single one of the people captaining the boats civilians?

Unit 33

Saw it in 35mm at local cinema, small ish audience (seemed like a lot more came to the screening immediately after).

Realyy great cinematic experience. Really kept the tension throughout, amazing.

Oddduck

It was a good, solid film. I would give it an 8 out of 10. I saw this movie in non-Imax 70 mm, but I still found it to be very immersive, tense, and suspenseful. That's partly due to the thunderous sound design and the excellent cinematography.

This is a movie about being "in the moment of chaos" and witnessing the horror of war. It doesn't have time to create flashbacks on everyone's personal lives -- and that's okay.

Don't go into Dunkirk expecting something similar to Christopher Nolan's previous movies. This is a film based on real events, so don't expect any big Nolan-eseque twists like Memento, The Prestige, etc.

And don't go into Dunkirk expecting a typical war movie like Saving Private Ryan -- it feels more like a disaster movie than a war film.

Moozo

Alpende

I saw it yesterday in IMAX and I thought it was amazing. The sound was loud as hell and I think that worked really well, the soundtrack was stunning and the visuals were great.
The scene of the French guy drowning in the boat and you could only see his hands reaching out for the ladder was something else.

I saw it yesterday in IMAX and I thought it was amazing. The sound was loud as hell and I think that worked really well, the soundtrack was stunning and the visuals were great.
The scene of the French guy drowning in the boat and you could only see his hands reaching out for the ladder was something else.

What was he stuck on? I didn't get why her couldn't reach it, was he shot in the legs?

Sean C

Here's my one probably dumb question that was bothering me at the end.
When the navy are requisitioning small boats, we see them put their own sailors and captains on them and so the one we follow has to run off on its own so that he can captain his own boat. So, why when the small boats show up at Dunkirk are every single one of the people captaining the boats civilians?
Navy personnel manned many of the boats, but many civilians insisted on manning their own vessels.

Mahnmut

Saw it in Brussels (Belgium) new(ish) IMAX theatre. That was fucking intense, loved the movie. Do any fellow Belgian know the tech specs of that theatre (laser or not, dimensions...).

Jimrpg

I'm reminded of the scene from Atonement set on Dunkirk, and while the two films aren't trying to do the same thing with the event, I can't help but compare the far more detailed and rich variety of human experience that Joe Wright manages to communicate in just one scene that Nolan can't quite match in his entire film. This is just a visual example and doesn't really speak to the heart of what I'm talking about, but it's a good entry point into what I'm saying:

Yeah, as soon as that soldier hit the beach at the start, I was wondering why Nolan didn't do the running sequence and the beach in one shot like they did in Atonement. That was such an amazing scene.

Anyway i just saw it, I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think its pretty flawed in a few areas. Firstly the story is really barebones, which is fine if its interesting scene to scene, but the boat and dogfighting story thread was largely uninteresting. I was intrigued by the non-linear timeline, which I thought was a really fresh take in the war genre, but there wasn't enough of a pay off in the end. I don't remember anyone's names, or if they even gave any. Because of their limited screen time, most of the soldiers characters morphed into one another. The score was honestly incredibly disappointing, one big chaotic dissonant impending crash of sound after another.

But I enjoyed 2 hours there. It's just not in the same ballpark, in the same postcode as Nolan's better movies.

As it stands

The Masterpieces
1. The Prestige
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight
4. Inception
5. Memento

Big Gap

Decent
6. Interstellar (as much as I hate the ending, i think I'd watch this again over Dunkirk)
7. Dunkirk

Big Gap

Trash
8. The Dark Knight Rises

And Atonement is way better than Dunkirk.

I would probably give Dunkirk a 7/10.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I can't believe I'm gonna say this about the director that brought us The Prestige of all things, but I'm starting to think that Nolan really isn't all that meticulous or obsessive a filmmaker as some of his contemporaries.

I actually really enjoyed Dunkirk, but it often felt... bare for lack of a better word.

The beach segment in particular felt strangely bare-bones and simplistic, like there weren't enough elements or creative ways of showing the horrors of the situation. Like, soldiers in their line are all pretty clearly exhausted, and wanting to get out, but their individual emotions never really ebb and flow beyond that. Like how are these guys getting food? Were they running out of it? Were they starving? Was it cold there? It didn't seem like they had much shelter/warmth - were there soldiers freezing to death? The nazis were closing in, but it never really felt like they were surrounded. I understand Nolan wanted to show it from specific perspectives, which was absolutely the right choice, but he seemed to do it to an unnecessary degree, like he'd created a little rule for himself: "No ever seeing an actual nazi." Why? Wouldn't it be effective seeing these little dots of nazis off in the distance closing in slowly? At the start of the film they're much further away, and later on you can see their lines have drawn nearer? Like a tidal wave they can't outrun? This is a survival film. Adding layers of problems slowly choking these characters out with a vice grip seems vital to me.

What are these soldiers doing on a day to day basis to keep themselves busy/not go insane? Are some of them going insane? I wanted to see the starkly different experiences and reactions to how these people are dealing with the extreme situation they're thrust into. You compare it to Cameron's Titanic - some people are calm and collected, some are panicked messes, some are suicidal, some are content with just sitting and waiting for their fate, some push back against the structured order they're being bureaucratically forced into, knowing that order isn't going to save their lives now. Like why didn't anyone challenge Branagh at any point? "We have just as much right to be on this boat as anyone else! You could fit plenty more people on the boat!" When the bombs start dropping, why are they literally all just ducking? Surely a heap of them on the pier would have just jumped off into the ocean, preferring to freeze to death than wait to be blown to bits. The moment where the guy drops his equipment and strolls into the ocean, attempting to fucking swim back home was great, harrowing stuff. It's the kind of logical insanity these guys would be going through. The film needed more of this. This plethora of human reaction to an insane situation is, surely, the meat and potatoes of a film like this. Not the spectacle itself - the humans and their immediate struggles.

Basically, if the beach soldiers were analogous to a character, that character was pretty one-note: tired, scared and uniform. That character should have been a gradient of tired, scared, petrified, insane, desperate, determined, defeated, ordered, chaotic, rebellious, devastated, miserable, optimistic etc.

I couldn't ever call Nolan lazy, but it seemed like he didn't have as strong a grasp on the minute details of what it would have been like on Dunkirk, only the macro large scale stuff.

His best film since at least Inception though.

Nailed it.

Does anybody have any pictures of Dunkirk as the troops were stuck on the beach? I don't get why it looked so clean and just with troops in this movie and in atonement it's more of a mess with vehicles strewn about as well

Maybe it was for creative purposes

I have a quick question that was definitely answered but I couldnt make out the sentence in his accent.

Was Tom Hardy the old man's son? Or was his son just in the airforce like Tom Hardy. I think the blonde kid said his brother died but I may have misheard

Dopus

Banned
Does anybody have any pictures of Dunkirk as the troops were stuck on the beach? I don't get why it looked so clean and just with troops in this movie and in atonement it's more of a mess with vehicles strewn about as well

Maybe it was for creative purposes

6TkQToKOSkKdy_gnGO4VnQ.png

8Fa8ps4XR0GGS9xAtwLJbg.png

9vS9ONZGSU23eLwJwDnajA.png

g-fgwzcZRyWux_PWQrVAZw.png

nintchdbpict0003285730651.jpg

XHTuUd1cTN26j0sxfBVAQQ.png

29a8df9c-3efd-11e7-a0fe-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

29c0420e-3efd-11e7-b461-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

29d750ac-3efd-11e7-b30a-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

2a009c5a-3efd-11e7-be7d-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

29f56de4-3efd-11e7-8a2c-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg