• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

NewFresh

I saw stuff that I know and I claaapped !

giphy.webp

Shoeless

I'm in the minority on GAF, I read the book and enjoyed it, though I didn't think it was a master piece. It was a fun, fluffy, light romp for me. If the movie does the same, I'll consider it mission accomplished.

Though yeah, Ernest Cline creating the Holy Grail of pop culture is a bit much.

Ridley327

A lot of the "fun" of the movie is gonna come down to what they can license or not (and what they think is appropriate for a mainstream western market). The Iron Giant thing makes sense for an American Audience because it's more recognizable than
Gundam RX-78 & Ultraman, etc... although as a Gundam fan I reaaaaaaally would like to see the RX-78 make it in.

I can see Ultraman being changed to a Power Ranger for the US.

Hopefully they keep Mecha-Godzilla though, that's worldwide enough.

I think it's less that it's recognizable and more the fact that Warner Bros. owns it outright and doesn't have to pay anyone to use it.

Loxley

This thing is going to be worth seeing just for the batshit visuals alone. Some of those scenes are exactly how I pictured them when reading the book, so that's neat.

So many references, I have to wonder how expensive the rights for this are lol. Akiras (sortakinda) bike, Delorian, Iron Giant, Freddy Krueger..

edit: Didn't read the book, so I have no idea what to expect.

It helps that WB owns the rights to some of those properties (Iron Giant, Freddie Krueger, etc)

Shoeless

Why? I never understood why people get shook up about a trailer bigging itself, or its source material, up. Not like they're going to say "based a nerds wet dream" are they.

I'm just saying that here, specifically on GAF, there are quite a few forum members with very strong opinions that this is not the case, so that's going to be a trigger.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't wait for the universe to shove itself up its own ass when I inevitably hear about Loot Crate offering a Ready Player One month.

*barf*

Read this last week, and it looks like they're not really following the book for the film. The book begins outside of Oklahoma City, and I don't remember a racing scene like they showed in the trailer at all.

Whether that ends up being good or bad as far as the movie's quality goes, who knows.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All these mixed opinions on the book. Guess this is basically Hollywood's Sword Art Online.

SAO anime was 2012 and RPO was 2011 so in a sense, yes, RPO really is the SAO of the west.

Except not nearly as profitable or popular as an IP.

Is the CG supposed to look that way since he is in a virtual world? It looks on par with those earth disaster movies. Not really sold on that teaser.

TheTurboFD

So far I've seen

The Delorean
Freddy Krueger
Iron Giant
Harley Quinn
Deadshot
Bike from Akira maybe?
Car from Mad max
That scorpion seems vaguely familiar too

Vyse24

For those who don't know the plot: Oasis is the future of social media/video gaming. When the creator dies, he reveals a scavenger hunt where the prize is the ownership of Oasis, worth over $200 billion. When Wade Watts becomes the first person to find the first item, it sets off a frenzy that puts lives in danger and the future of Oasis at stake.

Oh, and the creator was a huge 80s nerd, thus many pop-culture references (though it looks like they're including the 90s too.)

Shaanyboi

Banned
I TOO WAS EXCITED WHEN I SAW THE THING I KNEW!

Like visually, it's all very cool, but the book was bad. This... looks equally masturbatory.

Cuburt

The visuals and production value looks incredible.

This looks like top notch Spielberg. The story may end up being dumb (I'm not exactly excited after reading some impressions, and the constant barrage of references make me less intrigued and more cynical), but it could still be a fun ride, which is something I can't always say for a lot of blockbusters these days, no matter how much money is pumped into bringing an existing franchise/IP to the big screen.

A lot of the "fun" of the movie is gonna come down to what they can license or not (and what they think is appropriate for a mainstream western market). The Iron Giant thing makes sense for an American Audience because it's more recognizable than
Gundam RX-78 & Ultraman, etc... although as a Gundam fan I reaaaaaaally would like to see the RX-78 make it in.

I can see Ultraman being changed to a Power Ranger for the US.

Hopefully they keep Mecha-Godzilla though, that's worldwide enough.

Well Warner Brothers was getting the license to use
the big 5 Toho monsters for the MonsterVerse, so Mechagodzilla might appear.

Visuals looked interesting but still not sure about it. 'Cinematic Game Changer' and 'Pop Culture Holy Grail' had me smh.

Never read the book but not sure if I should read versus waiting for the movie.

El Topo

I'm sure Spielberg can turn the book into a good movie.

Also didn't the protagonist start off in the novel as a fat kid?

Beyond lamely making the characters way more attractive than they are in the book, I'm hoping at least the visuals are good.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm in the minority on GAF, I read the book and enjoyed it, though I didn't think it was a master piece. It was a fun, fluffy, light romp for me. If the movie does the same, I'll consider it mission accomplished.

Yeah, I thought it was a fun read. Not award winning stuff, but very enjoyable as someone who grew up in the 80s. Since Speilberg is a great director, I'm expecting the movie to be a lot of fun too.

blackflag

No idea what that was but looked like a mess. ive heard of the book but never read it.....on the other hand its Spielberg so maybe it'll be ok?

nasax

I remember thinking the book was aight and I remember what it was generally about but if you were to ask me specifics about it even though I read it a couple of years ago, I would draw a blank. Don't know if that's more on me or the book, probably a combination lol.

Top Bottom