• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League - Comic-Con Sneak Peek

It was technically shown, but it was just as unearned as the lip service lines in the trailer.

No. They showed several scenes of him rescuing people and him being exalted by many as a Jesus-like savior. He got a fuckin statue (later defaced).

Not everyone agreed, for varying reasons. In the end he died the hero that he was, name vindicated and was recognized widely for it, complete with a second funeral on the Washington DC mall, something generally reserved for Presidents. With a cannon salute, if I recall the closing scenes correctly.

This isn't hard.

Why do people keep equating the hologram with the end scene?? Two totally different scenes, and I agree with those who think the hologram is Supergirl, and the end scene is Superman.
Who's gonna wash the dishes and walk the garbage can to the curb on trash days?
Batman because he's useless garbage compared to these actual superheroes.

J_Viper

I almost wanna say that upcoming film slate is meaningless until JL hits

I mean, if this hits a billion, I'm sure WB would want a JL sequel. Maybe that is one of the 2020 dates.

It was technically shown, but it was just as unearned as the lip service lines in the trailer. They never actually showed anything Superman did that brought out the best in people, they only ever showed how he brought out the worst in Batman, Lex, and side characters like the guy who vandalized the Superman statue.
Nah. There's nothing technical about it. It happened. He's wrong and so are you. That you didn't felt it was earned doesn't make it non-existent as they claim.

Also, they did showed him bring out the best in others, it happened in MoS, how many were willing to sacrifice everything to stop the world engine, including him, it's also present on BvS. Look at WW that decided to fight again after being inactive for so long.

But no, continue to tell me how it didn't happen and what not.

Slaythe

Nah. There's nothing technical about it. It happened. He's wrong and so are you. That you didn't felt it was earned doesn't make it non-existent as they claim.

Also, they did showed him bring out the best in others, it happened in MoS, how many were willing to sacrifice everything to stop the world engine, including him, it's also present on BvS. Look at WW that decided to fight again after being inactive for so long.

But no, continue to tell me how it didn't happen and what not.

And more importantly, it happened with the biggest superman hater : Batman. His sacrifice proved he had no hidden agenda and was just a selfless hero willing to die for everyone else because he trusted, and loved them.

That's a big deal, it's not called the ultimate sacrifice for nothing.

And more importantly, it happened with the biggest superman hater : Batman. His sacrifice proved he had no hidden agenda and was just a selfless hero willing to die for everyone else because he trusted, and loved them.

That's a big deal, it's not called the ultimate sacrifice for nothing.
Yeah that counts as well, it was shown and not told.

kurahador

Is that Supergirl?!

Could just be Supes outfit or due to it moving, hologram of it.

We know Batman loves displaying meaningful costume.
Vh2xW6Q.jpg

Also, they did showed him bring out the best in others, it happened in MoS, how many were willing to sacrifice everything to stop the world engine, including him, it's also present on BvS.

People were already trying to stop it, though.

Look at WW that decided to fight again after being inactive for so long.

Then what exactly did he do in the movie that made Wonder Woman show up? In which scene do we see Wonder Woman come out of retirement specifically because of him?

No. They showed several scenes of him rescuing people and him being exalted by many as a Jesus-like savior. He got a fuckin statue (later defaced).

Not everyone agreed, for varying reasons. In the end he died the hero that he was, name vindicated and was recognized widely for it, complete with a second funeral on the Washington DC mall, something generally reserved for Presidents. With a cannon salute, if I recall the closing scenes correctly.

This isn't hard.

Did I say he didn't save people? I'm specifically asking how he brought out the best in people when most of Batman v Superman's plot happened because he had the opposite effect (however unintentionally).

I'm not denying that he did heroics, I'm denying that the films showed his deeds rubbing off on everyone else.

Loved everything I saw in the trailer...

...except Cyborg.

I was actually sold by Cyborg in this trailer. I really liked the way he delivered the line to Alfred. His body still looks a bit weird at times, but I'm getting used to it. In terms of the actor and the approach they've taken, though, where he's like a full on robot almost, I think it's great.

Yeah that counts as well, it was shown and not told.

I think part of the problem here is that Snyder really is not a typical Hollywood-method kind of guy. His style is very reminiscent of certain artist-driven comics and graphic novels. Where the art relays the story as much or even more than dialogue and exposition, and the reader has to fill in a few more gaps and interpret things more. A lot of the Superman stuff in BvS was like that - essentially panels with no captions and hardly any dialogue. Snyder really does think like an artist - not a writer. And I'm not saying he's always successful with what he does. But people are so used to dialogue explaining things in movies and it's not the only game in town. I happen to think Snyder's approach works really well with superheroes. See any of a thousand different comics that have used the same approach.

Still, in the trailer when Batman is referring to things that were never explicitly stated, and were sold with little more than a single shot with no dialogue at times, it can be jarring if you didn't interpret some of the images the same way. I also think the theatrical cut of BvS resulted in a lot people misinterpreting certain things.

Batman because he's useless garbage compared to these actual superheroes.

But Batman has prep time and the finances. No way he takes out the garbage.

Did I say he didn't save people? I'm specifically asking how he brought out the best in people when most of Batman v Superman's plot happened because he had the opposite effect (however unintentionally).

I'm not denying that he did heroics, I'm denying that the films showed his deeds rubbing off on everyone else.
The movie wasn't about him doing heroic deeds. That's the problem you're having. He had already done the heroic deeds. His status as a hero didn't need to be re-established; the various scenes and statues all indirectly explained where his status had risen to between the end of MoS and the beginning of BvS. The movie comes in when someone is trying to tear down his image and his legacy. With who he was haaving already been established, the question was whether or not Lex would succeed in destroying him in the eyes of the public (and then physically). Lex almost succeeded. But in the end, Superman was remembered for who he really was and the closing national funeral scene spoke to that.

If that's not enough for you, sorry dude. That's all there is. It's more than enough for me, but I didn't need to see a bunch of acts of heroism to know what Superman would have been about in the time between MoS and BvS. YMMV.

Tobor

They're so close to this being a good movie! Just a few minor tweaks needed.

Recast Flash and give him a costume that doesn't look like a red metal dildo.

Shitcan Cyborg altogether and bring in Green Lantern.

Go back and time and make Superman likeable and heroic so Batmans speech about him makes sense.

Simple!

People were already trying to stop it, though.

Then what exactly did he do in the movie that made Wonder Woman show up? In which scene do we see Wonder Woman come out of retirement specifically because of him?

If you think those are legitimate questions, I think you didn't saw those films or can't remember what happened. The way those things are entwined are shown there.

I was actually sold by Cyborg in this trailer. I really liked the way he delivered the line to Alfred. His body still looks a bit weird at times, but I'm getting used to it. In terms of the actor and the approach they've taken, though, where he's like a full on robot almost, I think it's great.

I think part of the problem here is that Snyder really is not a typical Hollywood-method kind of guy. His style is very reminiscent of certain artist-driven comics and graphic novels. Where the art relays the story as much or even more than dialogue and exposition, and the reader has to fill in a few more gaps and interpret things more. A lot of the Superman stuff in BvS was like that - essentially panels with no captions and hardly any dialogue. Snyder really does think like an artist - not a writer. And I'm not saying he's always successful with what he does. But people are so used to dialogue explaining things in movies and it's not the only game in town. I happen to think Snyder's approach works really well with superheroes. See any of a thousand different comics that have used the same approach.

Still, in the trailer when Batman is referring to things that were never explicitly stated, and were sold with little more than a single shot with no dialogue at times, it can be jarring if you didn't interpret some of the images the same way. I also think the theatrical cut of BvS resulted in a lot people misinterpreting certain things.
I agree, I like the way you communicated that aspect of his films. He does present a lot of themes visually and refrains from having the characters explain everything with words. I like it as I can participate more actively in the movie, however some people are not interacting at that level with the films for whatever reason and have questions for which the answers were already given.

Are people still arguing that in the DC world people shouldn't look at the alien who came to Earth and literally saved the planet twice, the second time sacrificing himself as not some hope for human beings?

Please stop killing my braincells. Stop it.

Slaythe

Go back and time and make Superman likeable and heroic so Batmans speech about him makes sense.

Simple!

Yeah Superman sure wasn't Heroic.

JFC

fanboi

Banned
Are people still arguing that in the DC world people shouldn't look at the alien who came to Earth and literally saved the planet twice, the second time sacrificing himself as not some hope for human beings?

Please stop killing my braincells. Stop it.

Well if we draw parallels to our world, fake news, government behind it, HIS CRYSTALS

shingi70

Banned

Simple!

What's wrong with the Flash? I find him to charmingly adorkable. A bit similar to Peter Parker in Homecoming.

Cyborg is sorta essential to the movie due to the mother boxes. Green Lntern is a bit too strong for a first team movie outing. .

Eh, I thought Suoerman was likable and heroic in Man of Steel. BVS, not so much but what's a retcon here or there to get to the tone I want.

It was technically shown, but it was just as unearned as the lip service lines in the trailer. They never actually showed anything Superman did that brought out the best in people, they only ever showed how he brought out the worst in Batman, Lex, and side characters like the guy who vandalized the Superman statue.

If they didn't do that, there would be no context for Batman v Superman. Anyway it doesn't really matter. It's like reading bad reviews or complaints on the internet. You'd think everyone's unhappy, but happy people don't overwhelming write about how happy they are.

Tobor

What's wrong with the Flash? I find him to charmingly adorkable. A bit similar to Peter Parker in Homecoming.

Cyborg is sorta essential to the movie due to the mother boxes. Green Lntern is a bit too strong for a first team movie outing. .

Eh, I thought Suoerman was likable and heroic in Man of Steel. BVS, not so much but what's a retcon here or there to get to the tone I want.

Actor sucks and the costume is fucking garbage, and turning Flash into a nerd who can't fight is garbage. As a Flash fan(well Wally fan) I hate everything about this interpretation.

Cyborg sucks full stop. The character sucks. The actor sucks. The costume sucks. Give me a real JL lineup, no scrubs allowed.

shingi70

Banned
Actor sucks and the costume is fucking garbage, and turning Flash into a nerd who can't fight is garbage. As a Flash fan(well Wally fan) I hate everything about this interpretation.

Cyborg sucks full stop. The character sucks. The actor sucks. The costume sucks. Give me a real JL lineup, no scrubs allowed.

I always took flash as a nerd who can't really fight and is in over his head. That's the impression I've gotten form the new 52, Justice League, Young Justice, and the live action show.

Cyborg is awesome man, typically he's written wrong but he as the potential to tell some great stories. Case in point.

https://superbromovies.com/2017/05/30/cyborg-and-the-symbolic-forfeiture-of-blackness/

It's pretty unfair to say the actor sucks considering this is like his first gig, and his previous work is all theatre work.

Tobor

I always took flash as a nerd who can't really fight and is in over his head. That's the impression I've gotten form the new 52, Justice League, Young Justice, and the live action show.

Cyborg is awesome man, typically he's written wrong but he as the potential to tell some great stories. Case in point.

https://superbromovies.com/2017/05/30/cyborg-and-the-symbolic-forfeiture-of-blackness/

It's pretty unfair to say the actor sucks considering this is like his first gig, and his previous work is all theatre work.

SMFH. I can't even...

Tobor

thats what I thought when you said Ezra Miller is not a good actor, what in the hell.

He might be good in general, but not for the Flash! Not the Flash as he should be portrayed. I guess as a sniveling dork comic relief he's perfectly cast, but that's not the Flash I wanted or we deserved.

He might be good in general, but not for the Flash! Not the Flash as he should be portrayed. I guess as a sniveling dork comic relief he's perfectly cast, but that's not the Flash I wanted or we deserved.

what do you think of the Grant Gustin Flash btw?

Personally I already like this Ezra one a lot more than that lame mope in just a brief moments we've seen in the trailers.

Astral Dog

Jesus Christ. I know you guys like to take a shit on DC just for the sake of it but bitching about the cgi has got to be the stupidiest complaint I've seen.
It looks ugly and weird, but i think they are improving, its that the monsters look horrible that witch and Doomsday make the overuse of the effects be an assault on the eyes instead of a treat.

WW and JL (from this trailer) look a bit more stylish however i just wish they didn't rely on it as much.

I think I only watched Iron Man before watching the Avengers and I enjoyed that film quite a lot.

From a marketing/hype perspective you're probably right, but in terms of making a movie that works I don't think individual origin movies are necessary. Those characters are mostly known properties (DC way more than Marvel for me by the way) and if you do them right (and I think Marvel for the most part did) it can be effective even without the backstory.

I think DC's problem so far is that they did a shit job with their characterization. And shit characterization is shit characterization, even if it's done over the span of a couple of movies (see: current Superman).

Oh and I should note that I have not seen Wonder Woman yet but I heard it's good, so this is of course not taking that film into account.

I'm not saying it can't work. I'm saying I am not as excited for this movie as the other films we saw because its largely an unknown quantity. I really enjoyed Wonder Woman despite Gadot giving the worst performance in a superhero film yet (which isn't entirely her fault. the script had little for her to work with and only solidified her character in the last 15 minutes of the film). So given we haven't seen Flash, Aquaman or Cyborg on screen yet, relative lack of chemistry between Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman's lack of character theres not much for me to get hyped on yet.

Astral Dog

Ezra can also make a great sociopathic, narcissistic, murderous Flash 💛

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
That was an outstanding trailer. Marvel has been killing it in the movies for so long I forgot that I grew up a Justice League fan in the 80's and 90's. I has been quite some time since the hype has filled me up like this.

I'm also calling Nightwing as the last scene.

That was an outstanding trailer. Marvel has been killing it in the movies for so long I forgot that I grew up a Justice League fan in the 80's and 90's. I has been quite some time since the hype has filled me up like this.

Why is it more likely Nightwing and not Aunt Harriet? What does Nightwing have to do with the Justice League? Why wouldn't it be Superman?

Finaika

What can Nightwing do to Darkseid?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
What can Nightwing do to Darkseid?

Aren't they fighting Stephenwolf?

Why is it more likely Nightwing and not Aunt Harriet? What does Nightwing have to do with the Justice League? Why wouldn't it be Superman?

Sorry, I'm not sure who Aunt Harriet is. More to the point, I know things change for the movies and since this is "later" in an established DCU, I would think that Nightwing is already around. As for it not being Superman, it would seem on the nose that it is superman (and that's ok too) but why would he be "expected" if he's thought dead? I think they show the Rebirth scene easier in the trailer. Showing Doomsday in the BvS trailer was a mistake a I'm hoping for so more misdirection in comic book trailers.

It's Superman isn't it?

Main thing I'm worried about at this point is the reshoots. Last I heard they are still going on and still scheduled for a while. That's crazy to me that if they are bigger than just some dialogue scenes in a room that Whedon is still trying to turn them around in less than 4 months. I have to imagine the VFX artists are feeling the crunch right now. Maybe that guy who worked on the movie here can chime in...

Top Bottom