• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Winds of Winter in 2017. Most likely 2018.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
His heart obviously isn't in it anymore. He always sounds so annoyed that people like and care about ASOIAF and want more of it. Like finishing the story is a huge inconvenience that he dreads even thinking about.

TrutaS

I'll treat the tv series as closure and forget about this series. It's just ridiculous to me that so many other things are taking priority over finishing his main body of work. Fine, he has the right to do whatever he wants, that much is true.

Apathy

Will he make it to 2018 though. I'm always worried every time I see him that he looks like he's going to have a heart attack at any moment.

sturmdogg

The powers that be better make sure Brandon Sanderson has the Martin's notes in case he croaks. At this rate it's going to go that route.

I expect sales for this are going to be REALLY disappointing compared to the other books. And Martin has no one to blame but himself.

TCRS

Banned
I expect sales for this are going to be REALLY disappointing compared to the other books. And Martin has no one to blame but himself.

yeah he could have capitalized on the show but after the show is finished people will know how its ends and then only core fans will bother reading the books.

Severance

My heart can't take it it anymore. It's amazing to think that HBO will have completed their own Game of Thrones show from beginning to end in less time then Martin will have written one book. I wish him nothing but the best, but it's hard not to be pessimistic about the ASOIAF series. GRRM seems filled with doubt himself whether he will admit or not. He says Fire and Blood will be late 2018 or early 2019, and he also admits he doesn't know if Winds of Winter will be out before it. He most definitely leaves the door open for 2019. He's already casting doubt on a 2018 release.

yeah he could have capitalized on the show but after the show is finished people will know how its ends and then only core fans will bother reading the books.

My feelings exactly. I personally won't buy another book unless the entire series is finished. It's not worth the time investment to read something that likely won't be finished. I suspect I'm not the only long-term fan of the series who feels this way.

The series didn't even blow up until AFFC. It's not even possible for a new book to disappoint compared to earlier books.

It blew up because of the show. After it's done people will move on to something else.

I wonder how likely it is that we'll end up with the Star Wars sequel trilogy being announced and completed in the time between the release of the last book and this one.

It blew up because of the show. After it's done people will move on to something else.

It was a NYT bestseller with AFFC before the show. It blew up even more with the show, but all of that audience isn't going to disappear. There's no way TWOW doesn't launch with the best upfront numbers of any of the books.

Quonny

This is why being a Sanderson fan is so much better for your health.

"Hey guys I meant to right only one book but I wrote two instead, they'll both be out in less then half a year. Woops"
Preach.

I couldn't do this anymore so I haven't even read the last book. Switched to The Cosmere and I haven't looked back. I'd love to read the whole ASoIaF series if it all eventually comes out but this is ridiculous and not worth it.

kmax

George....my man. Stop jinxing it. Everytime you come out with a supposed deadline, you manage to fuck it up. Like clockwork.

Just don't say anything and work. Just work.

FStubbs

Eiichiro Oda will finish One Piece before GRRM finishes these fucking books.
I stopped caring a long time ago, or so i thought, but every piece of news like this that comes out, manages to shrivel whatever little hope was buried inside me.

Maybe finish the fucking books, before writing a bajillion spin-offs George?

Let's see if he gets it done before Berserk.

People who swore, when the show started, that they'd wait until all the books released before watching, are seriously about to see the whole show both 1) start and 2) end before one of the last books released.

Just watch the show, yall deserve to know how the story ends and it flat-out is not being published by that guy in his or your lifetime.

Saya

To put things in context, Dance was released one month after Game of Thrones S1 had aired in July 2011.

I still remember George saying D&D could pull 4 seasons worth of materials out of ASOS and AFFC lol

hoos30

Dude is a legendary procrastinator. He only ever writes at home, using some archaic word processor and despite all of his Mea Culpa's about delays to the 'fans', you only need to give him a sniff of a convention appearance and guys on the plane eager to get his ego stroked.

Plus he's heavily invested with those two rat fucks at Westeros.org who have been happily sucking on the GOT money teat by getting him to waste his time on these supplemental history books. If his publishers had any sense, they'd of made Martin give those two nitpickers the boot years ago.

Amen.

Yeah, at this point he should just either say "fuck it" and stop or just hand over the notes to another writer to finish it up, while he works on things he really wants to.

Eiichiro Oda will finish One Piece before GRRM finishes these fucking books.
I stopped caring a long time ago, or so i thought, but every piece of news like this that comes out, manages to shrivel whatever little hope was buried inside me.

Maybe finish the fucking books, before writing a bajillion spin-offs George?

Now how about Hunter x Hunter finishing first?

Empty

while frustrating it's quite understandable for someone to have lost passion for a creative project they started back in the mid-nineties.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
yup, like what Robert Jordan did

Robert Jordan spent his deathbed days and weeks rigorously detailing every single aspect of the plot to his wife so that the work could be finished, from what I've heard. It's kind of a beautiful commitment. It certainly wasn't a matter of saying "fuck it" or going off to work on other stuff!

hamchan

Don't entertain the notion of wasting Sanderson's time on this series when he doesn't even like it or want to do it and he has better stuff to do.

Aiii

So not worth it
Daniel Abraham would finish it if he died, not Sanderson IMO
Actually nobody would unless his wife says fuck it, go for it. George seems to have no problem letting the series end with him.

OneFairfax: ”Do you think Daniel and Tyler could eventually write stories in the ASOIAF universe?"

George R.R. Martin: ”Uh... no."

OneFairfax: ”Do you see anyone? Or will ASOIAF books forever remain your work alone?"

George R.R. Martin: ”I don't see anyone else ever writing (legally) in that universe."
I don't think my wife, if she survives me, will allow that either. But one thing that history has shown us is eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendants, or people who didn't actually know the writer and don't care about his wishes. It's just a cash cow to them. And then we get abominations to my mind like Scarlett, the Gone with the Wind sequel.

Hell, does not even want fan fiction in his universe...
My position on so-called ”fan fiction" is pretty well known. I'm against it, for a variety of reasons that I've stated previously more than once. I won't repeat 'em here.

Consent, for me, is the heart of this issue. If a writer wants to allow or even encourage others to use their worlds and characters, that's fine. Their call. If a writer would prefer not to allow that... well, I think their wishes should be respected.

Actually nobody would unless his wife says fuck it, go for it. George seems to have no problem letting the series end with him.

Yeah, I think he considers the show to be enough, and I kind of agree. We have the show so we know the main plot points so we already have a conclusion to the series. The books are more detailed and just wouldn't be the same if it was written by someone else.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It still pains me to see ADWD labeled as trash in this thread. ADWD contains some of the best material in the entire series. That book's problems start and end with his approach to the Meereenese Knot and his lack of editing. And the former problem primarily affected AFFC. If ADWD had been trimmed by a good editor and given an actual resolution, it would be right up there with the first three books.

It still pains me to see ADWD labeled as trash in this thread. ADWD contains some of the best material in the entire series. That book's problems start and end with his approach to the Meereenese Knot and his lack of editing. And the former problem primarily affected AFFC. If ADWD had been trimmed by a good editor and given an actual resolution, it would be right up there with the first three books.

While I agree Dance (and Feast) are good, I don't understand why people trash the editor to this day. Martin's editor isn't bad...the problem is that Martin does not listen to his editor. The Dance manuscript used to be displayed at Texas A&M's library, and it's full of editing notes that were ignored; Google it, there's a big reddit thread about it with pictures. She dings him on the nonstop "words are wind" phrase, suggests certain chapters be reduced, etc. Much of the advice wasn't taken.

On the flip side she did convince him to remove the two battles from Dance. According to her there wasn't enough space in the manuscript to include those additional 200 or so pages, and revising the book to include them would have taken a year or more.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

So if the book had turned out very differently it would have been better?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
While I agree Dance (and Feast) are good, I don't understand why people trash the editor to this day. Martin's editor isn't bad...the problem is that Martin does not listen to his editor. The Dance manuscript used to be displayed at Texas A&M's library, and it's full of editing notes that were ignored; Google it, there's a big reddit thread about it with pictures. She dings him on the nonstop "words are wind" phrase, suggests certain chapters be reduced, etc. Much of the advice wasn't taken.

On the flip side she did convince him to remove the two battles from Dance. According to her there wasn't enough space in the manuscript to include those additional 200 or so pages, and revising the book to include them would have taken a year or more.

It wasn't my intention to trash her skills at all, though I could see why you took it that way. I've indeed seen the manuscript, and the problem absolutely is GRRM's refusal to accept her edits.

I just meant to say overall that with editing (it essentially wasn't edited, thanks to him), the book would have been great.

So if the book had turned out very differently it would have been better?

You just gonna ignore the part where I said, as is, the book still contains some of the best material in the series?

Biske

Lol... Im not gonna tell him who to write, but perhaps the best way to finish a book is to just write that book.

It wasn't the editor that was lacking, but the author who refused to be edited.

Septy

ADWD had some really good stuff, but with a few less Snow, Tyrion and Dany chapters he could have put in the book's climax and had a much better work.

Top Bottom