• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

AwShucks

Well this game is awesome. It's basically Resogun on foot with different stages.

I didn't look, but I hope it has an endless mode. Or maybe as DLC as Survivor is the best part of Resogun.

Agent X

It's a great action-packed game, just as you might expect from a Housemarque. The graphics are smooth and colorful, and the music is reminiscent of classic Amiga games from the early 90s. The only issue I'm having (for the time being) is that the online scoreboards don't seem to be working for me. I'd love to see how my scores stack up against the rest of the world.

MCD250

Just tried it. I only played a single world since I'm about to go to bed, but I was extremely pleased with it. It's very much in the vein of Resogun, but it feels considerably harder and looks even more bautiful. Pretty sure I'm gonna love this game.

What I like about Nex Machina is it doesn't have the slow ramp up of Resogun, always made restarting from the beginning kind of miserable when you want to jump right back into the craziness

Nex Machina starts fast right off the bat and only gets crazier

baberunisei

Wow, the game is awesome. Played 3 worlds on rookie only, but i can already see the geniuses at housemarque got to improve on something that was already perfect: the Respgun gameplay. Really, playing this game is a huge pleasure.

danowat

Banned
Very very good game, only thing I am missing is a save point between world's, I get that the game is old skool, but I don't usually have time to do a complete run in one hit.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just came out of the review thread, getting some stellar scores. Eugene Jarvis is my favorite developer of all time and Robotron 2084, Smash TV and Total Carnage are some of my favorite arcade goat.

Onto the store I go.

Game's great. Played world onw on the medium difficulty then again attempting to get all the "hyoomans" on veteran. I thought I had gotten them all but was still missing quite a bit!

Game moves too fast to explore so i'll have to play on the easiest difficulty to look for the secrets :p

Cleared the first 2 levels on experienced and oh yes. This game is freaking legit so far. And the soundtrack is incredible too. I'm just sitting here at the title screen absolutely loving the theme song. Game is hard as hell too and no save point in arcade? Guess I'll have to just git gud.

Just beat it on Experienced. Must have went through 40 credits lol.

The music is fantastic!!

They outdid themselves with this one.

Pretty great game so far.

I got to the boss of World 6 on Experienced and had to tap out, even with 50 lives left. The precursor to the boss is just brutal on continue.

vj1IG.gif

Yea, that's where I had trouble. Aim for the rocket launcher. Helped out big time.

Heel

Pretty great game so far.

I got to the boss of World 6 on Experienced and had to tap out, even with 50 lives left. The precursor to the boss is just brutal on continue.

vj1IG.gif

hawk2025

Holy shit that final boss.

Get the rocket launcher, or prepare to suffer. Important tip: on the second phase, you can ignore the hexagram lasers surrounding you: they are harmless even when they close in.

This has possibly been one of the best arcade games I've played in a decade.

Immediately pre-ordered Matterfall.

SZips

This game is an absolute fucking blast on PC!

This is my best score so far on the first world (rookie difficulty since it said it was the recommended/default difficulty to start with):

A couple of things for those going for high scores and are new to the game:

- Dash at the end of each level right as the outer ring meets the inner ring around you, you get a bonus.

- Blue tinted boxes can be shot with normal weapons to break. Do this to reveal secrets (humans, secret stage terminals, etc.)

- Yellow tinted boxes seem to only break when you hit them with your special weapon. These also tend to give nice bonuses.

- Once you find a secret level terminal (looks like a computer terminal or a bit like an arcade cabinet), shoot it enough times until it says you actually unlocked the secret level.

- Don't be stingy with your dashes or special weapons. They seem to recover very, very fast.

Wozman23

Just beat the arcade mode on Experienced after 2.75 hours. (Probably not the best difficulty choice starting out.) That last boss is maddening.

I started the boss battle with somewhere around 60 continues, beat my head repeatedly against a wall again and again and again, and finally beat him with just 9 continues left. Thought I was going to run out of continues.

The rocket launcher definitely helped.

I thought I had a solid grasp on the first few levels thanks to both betas, but there are so many more things to look out for than just the humans.

1CC reminder: there's
a secret boss (no ability to retry if you run out of lives against it)
after completing a run like that.

EDIT: or maybe tied to just playing through Veteran? Not sure.

1CC reminder: there's
a secret boss (no ability to retry if you run out of lives against it)
after completing a run like that.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Did some runs of the first world on rookie. Just to find all the secrets and whatnot. Currently 3rd place. Need to work on my human combo.

Will take a crack at Veteran when I wake up.

One thing I really like is how it goes 0-100 right from the beginning. No need to wait for it to get hard.

antyk

So how does it look and perform on regular PS4? I'm slightly worried that with so many small things on screen at once the 900p might be insufficient. Also, hard to asses that from YouTube due to compression.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Please let us know if the framerate is locked at 60fps on PC, or if it's variable.

Considering double dipping, but only if I can lock it to 60fps.

Sure will do when it's unlocked in 3 hours or so. My monitor is 1440p so that's what i'll be gaming at (not trying any downscaling until later).

Something happened with the speaker in my DS4 while playing this. There was a sudden loud noise and now the volume is much lower and there is a bit of crackling.

It isn't the same playing without the voice coming from the controller.

anddo0

Think I'll get this on PC since it's cheaper and then get it free when it inevitably goes on PS Plus.

I was going to ask which platform should I get it for. I dragged my feet (actually purchased Matterfall at full price before this) and missed the PS+ discount. I'll probably get it on PC now. You're right, very high chance this is free by later this year/next year.

Kimkitten88

Neo Member
Amagad, really nice OP! Defiantly know what I'm gonna do tonight. Shame that Darkest Dungeon DLC released last night aswell. Oh dear, what to do >_>.

Anyways, the game looks really freaking awesome!

leng jai

I was going to ask which platform should I get it for. I dragged my feet (actually purchased Matterfall at full price before this) and missed the PS+ discount. I'll probably get it on PC now. You're right, very high chance this is free by later this year/next year.

I missed the discount as well, and the PS4 Pro version doesn't have downsampling either :/

bombshell

Just completed arcade on Rookie. It seems like after taking a look at the feats list that Rookie compared to all other difficulties is skipping
a 6th world and a final boss after that.

Is that correct?

So how does it look and perform on regular PS4? I'm slightly worried that with so many small things on screen at once the 900p might be insufficient. Also, hard to asses that from YouTube due to compression.

Just completed the rookie arcade mode on a launch day PS4 - looks and plays beautifully. No frame rate drops and it's gorgeous to look at IMO.

Top Bottom