• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

megalowho

I'll eat some crow right now, that shit looks great.

Not in the market for one personally, fine with the current system for how I use it, but if anyone was looking to buy it looks like no contest now for which model to get.

Wolfe

Discussion has been had and can still be had, but this isn't the place for all that. If you see a preview which explains why Super Mario 3D Land is suddenly unworkable on the bigger system without the second analogue, do contribute...

It's as if none of them want to actually take into account the fact that only a few games even use the CPP compared to games that don't.

Also this is fairly minor but I love that they went back to buttons for the volume control. Was not a fan of the slider.

Derrick01

Banned
I do want this but if the circle pad won't work with it then playing some games will be kind of tough, no? I hope they settle that situation out soon.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They CAN'T add a second analog on the console itself, it would render the OG 3DS obsolete.

If the add the second analog, devs will feel obligated to use it for every game, and then people will have no choice but to buy the Circle Pad Pro.

The Circle Pad Pro is optional.
Devs who wants to use the Circle Pad Pro have to make it an OPTION, not the primary/only control scheme.
Thus making the CPP optional for people to buy and use.

The screensize is awesome. I just really wish it didn't look so cheap. Horrendous looking device.

I really don't think it looks cheap at all. It's simple and functional, sure, but I'd take that over garish shiny finger print magnet like everything else these days.

Wolfe

I do want this but if the circle pad won't work with it then playing some games will be kind of tough, no? I hope they settle that situation out soon.

You mean a couple games? I do agree it would be nice to have them address the issue but it's not a huge deal atm, and if it is then just wait and hold onto your normal 3DS+CPP (which works for me since I'd rather wait a bit and see if they at least come out with the white one).

Celine

OMG, it looks so good! Damn you Nintendo, this really should have been the initial model :mad:

Where's the Take-My-Money.gif when you need it?

Shut%20Up%20And%20Take%20My%20Rupees.jpg

Atruvius

This got me really interested. At first I thought about buying a Vita but that thing seems DIW right now, so is this a good buy? I have never had any handheld or Nintendo consoles...

At this point 3DS is a better GAMING handheld than Vita, as in it has a better support, right? 3DS ain't dying off next year, or something?

andthebeatgoeson

How do they keep doing this to us? Why are people saying it's ugly? Looks damn good. I'll just do this to my kids for now on. Get it at launch, hand-me-down to kids when Best Nintendo Handheld is released. Having kids has it privileges.

Derrick01

Banned
You mean a couple games? I do agree it would be nice to have them address the issue but it's not a huge deal atm, and if it is then just wait and hold onto your normal 3DS+CPP (which works for me since I'd rather wait a bit and see if they at least come out with the white one).

Well apparently at least two of the games I want to play use it, kid icarus and resident evil (I don't have a 3DS yet by the way). Also if the stand won't work then I don't know how I'll play kid icarus :lol

drspeedy

welcome news, and I'm not surprised at the positive impact. Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't bite on 3DS, let alone ambassador. Early adopters payin' Ninty's R&D bills.

Wolfe

Well apparently at least two of the games I want to play use it, kid icarus and resident evil (I don't have a 3DS yet by the way). Also if the stand won't work then I don't know how I'll play kid icarus :lol

I feel ya, I own both RE:R and MGS3D and I can't play either game without it (I didn't pick up the CPP until halfway through the RE campaign but once I started using it I couldn't go back). For Kid Icarus though my roomie doesn't even use the stand, just rests it on a pillow in his lap or something while playing.

They CAN'T add a second analog on the console itself, it would render the OG 3DS obsolete.

If the add the second analog, devs will feel obligated to use it for every game, and then people will have no choice but to buy the Circle Pad Pro.

The Circle Pad Pro is optional.
Devs who wants to use the Circle Pad Pro have to make it an OPTION, not the primary/only control scheme.
Thus making the CPP optional for people to buy and use.
Agreed. This is why Nintendo never invorporated Motion Plus into the hardware SKU and also made the Wii redesign incompatible with it.

Also this is fairly minor but I love that they went back to buttons for the volume control. Was not a fan of the slider.

Also just realised the 3D slider is longer - so it'll be easier to set sensitivity. Something I find is a bit muddied on the current one - its just not very precise.

Bumhead

Banned
Every time I see this system it looks better.

As much as I'm fond of my little red 3DS and it'll genuinely be a wrench to trade it, this looks like WAY more than just an upgrade to me. This looks like the system I wish Nintendo had released first time around.

I wish the colours were better but I'm happy to go with the launch colours and maybe pick up a particularly good limited edition colour/bundle later down the line.

Santiako

Kid Icarus only uses it if you are lefty and Resident Evil plays fine without it imo.

muu

Looks nice. Silver looks sleek. Why the hell is US Red/Blue only? Oh well, Red US XL and Silver JP LL it is.

Surprised a lot of people still don't realize that CPP comes with two extra buttons as well as the extra analog pad.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE: never buy the first iteration of a Nintendo handheld.
OG Game Boy was fine, but man everything after that is really true. 3DS is comparably better than GBA or DS were though.

It also holds true a bit for PSP. I wonder if Vita 2000 will have internal memory?

Derrick01

Banned
Kid Icarus only uses it if you are lefty and Resident Evil plays fine without it imo.

Oh well the kid icarus news is fine since I'm not left handed.

It's not going to stop me from buying this newer 3DS anyway. All I'm worried about is how DS games and current 3DS games will play on the larger screens, which they seem to play just fine if not better.

Coldsnap

You can kind of see why they kept the 3DS out of sight now!
Over shadows WiiU - and would be even more noticeable on stage with the line up in Q3/Q4.

Good point. From how little they showed the Wii - U, despite it being their main focus, dropping this megaton would have made it seem like a 3DS E3 for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom