• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces renewed Trademark for "Killer Instinct"

derFeef

How to feel! Could be good news, could be bad news.

2wsMPl.gif

derFeef

Uhhh I really doubt this is a new game, its probably one or both of the arcade games getting an XBLA release.

Probably. You basically have to renew trademarks evey 10 years if you want to keep it.
So who knows what it really is for, maybe just for future-proofing.

Fantasmo

I'm posting in here because I'm a huge fan of KI1 and still fire it up from time to time. KI1 was a fluke. It was a great game, but a fluke. Because the other KI games after it were complete garbage. Terrible to the point that you couldn't believe the same company made KI1 and the other games. It would be like Capcom making Street Fighter 2 and then making Rise of the Robots 1 and 2 levels of bad sequels.

KI1 was garbage at high level play. Not sure if you know this but the game doesn't lock block animations at all and if I recall, there's no pushback either. Meaning the second someone attacks you, as long as you're blocking, you can counter with a jab and always score a hit.

KI1 was garbage at high level play. Not sure if you know this but the game doesn't lock block animations at all and if I recall, there's no pushback either. Meaning the second someone attacks you, as long as you're blocking, you can counter with a jab and always score a hit.

No. KI1 was really good. It's KI2 that's the bad one! The guy said so.

That's my best post on NeoGaf.

It IS! You get full credit, sir!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They will never make a KI3. The last people who worked on it on Rare have long since left. There's literally no one remaining left there who worked on any killer instinct, so Rare will certainly never make a sequel.

Microsoft does not care about fighting games, and is perfectly content to let Sony have all the exclusives they want when it comes to that genre, so XBLA re-releases will be as good as we'll ever get.

That Orchid cosplay looks equal or better than the "real" thing. Nicely done.

.... Anyway, though, I wonder if making a new KI might be Microsoft's new way to win Japanese attention for the upcoming Gen? They really poured money into Mistwalker early on in the 360 life, but a good fighter by a JP studio would have to be many times cheaper, right?

It's odd enough that they brought back the Fire Pro brand for an XBLA game, and helped Grounding with their Panzer Dragoon spiritual sequel. And niche JP games seem to be what really sells on the 360 over there (VNs, STGs, IM@S).

It'd be very weird, but not impossible to think that they're trying to throw off the "All we have is FPS, LOL!" image by diversifying early on. Can start that process early on, by financing some "unexpected" niche releases...
(Phantom Dust 2 please.)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Means very little right now. On top of KI never being one of these highly revered games in my eyes BUT we can keep an open mind.

That Orchid cosplay looks equal or better than the "real" thing. Nicely done.

.... Anyway, though, I wonder if making a new KI might be Microsoft's new way to win Japanese attention for the upcoming Gen? They really poured money into Mistwalker early on in the 360 life, but a good fighter by a JP studio would have to be many times cheaper, right?

It's odd enough that they brought back the Fire Pro brand for an XBLA game, and helped Grounding with their Panzer Dragoon spiritual sequel. And niche JP games seem to be what really sells on the 360 over there (VNs, STGs, IM@S).

It'd be very weird, but not impossible to think that they're trying to throw off the "All we have is FPS, LOL!" image by diversifying early on. Can start that process early on, by financing some "unexpected" niche releases...
(Phantom Dust 2 please.)

I doubt all of this. In the original Xbox's time frame, MS was publishing exclusive fighting games all the time! DOA3, DOAU, Tao Feng, Kakuto Chojin, etc.

Even though fighters are still fairly hot, MS seemingly refuses to do anything with the genre, I think they are firmly entrenched in the FPS camp for multiplayer, and I don't see them ever diverting resources to a fighter ever again.

SAB: At this point, microsoft would be completely stupid to go after the Japanese market. The 360 ship has sailed and it came up with basically nothing... Their best bet is to cut their loses with 360 and for 720 buy their way into a major exclusive... even if it's just a timed one. Spend a few mill to secure Final Fantasy 15 as exclusive for 6 months in Japan and suddenly they'll look a lot more interesting.

So what are the chances that this means Rare is working on an actual NEW Killer Instinct?

And what are the chances that said game (if it happens) is actually good?

Including the possibility that this doesn't actually mean a KI is coming, I refuse to get my hopes up.

Chris Tilston (KI arcade/SNES designer, programmer and producer) works in Starfire Studios, they have made games for Microsoft.

Honestly never saw what was so special about this game.
did you ever play it in the arcades? It was one of the first games to use extensive combos. I used to love doing that B. Orchid 60+ hit game-ending combo on people. So stylish, and something no other game did. Couple with the best graphics in a fighting game at the time (which was the most popular genre at arcades), and very unique characters and you had something really special.

LORD
HAVE
MERCY

No really, she's fucking flawless. Where do they grow them like that. I must know.

Sgblues

Well I'm cautiously optimistic, so would keep one eye open on this.

The other eye I'll keep on that Orchid cosplayer lol

Killer Instinct as a launch Xbox 8 game would be...

...that'd be pretty exciting, for a number of reasons. The most obvious would be a rebirth of such a fun franchise....but the most important reason would be that MS is letting Rare off of the Kinect leash. The later is a much bigger deal to me than the former.

Wow. Trademark renewals usually aren't news, yet Microsoft announcing the news makes it into real news.

HD Remake, followed by a inevitably loathed KI3.

charsace

And that's what lead to them making almost everything in KI2 safe so you could poke all day with everyone.

The game I really want to see a sequel for is Weapon Lord. I wish Namco would give SC a rest and go back to this because the first game had awesome characters and a promising system.

Top Bottom