• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games list & SPE usages

Raistlin

Psychotext said:
I'm interested in your opinion, as all the analysis I've seen says otherwise.

If you look at some of the descriptions by the more advanced programmers in the OP ...

Formula One Championship Edition

"We don't really use the concept of reserving certain SPUs for specific tasks. Instead we employ the concept of prioritized job lists that are executed by the SPUs whenever one is available."

Lair

"Not a specific S.P.U. Our S.P.U. code works dynamically, so we are not locking up one S.P.U. and saying "OK, you are the A.I. S.P.U., but we instead say, "OK, here are these 15 things including A.I." We run them on the S.P.U., and the code automatically distributes them. "

... they are dynamically using the SPE's. Once you get that sort of design up and running, the allocation of resources is handled for you.

I'm not sure its quite as easy to do something similar with Xenon.

Onix said:
If you look at some of the descriptions by the more advanced programmers in the OP ...

... they are dynamically using the SPE's. Once you get that sort of design up and running, the allocation of resources is handled for you.

I'm not sure its quite as easy to do something similar with Xenon.

thing is PPU distributes stuff for the SPE to do , Xenon processors just do it

tanod

when is my burrito
It should also be noted (in case you missed it) that the 1.8 SDK for the PS3 that got released a couple of months ago allowed devs to take advantage of part of the 7th SPE which was previously completely reserved by the OS.

artredis1980 said:
The advantage of a symmetric processor design. In other words, easier to learn to code on it.

Busty

Banned
It speaks volumes that the original OP didn't even mention the 360 and it's (obvious own sizeable) power yet the FUD is piled on regardless.

Even a carefully worded OP in a thread about CELL can't escape the system wars 'thought Police' that patrol along the threads of GAF with even greater desperation and insecurity since E3 from jumping in and causing havoc.

*sigh*

pr0cs said:
sigh...
as usual a semi-interesting thread discussing software development and how different devs leverage the hardware has gone down the fucking toilet due to system wars.

where is the banhammer when you need him.

Amen brother, when someone got a whiff that a poster was daring to talk about the structure of the CELL, Merovingian was parachuted in to nip that right in the bud.

szaromir said:
This thread is heaven for Sony virals.

If ou're serious then I don't know who Sony have on their books but they need to get shot of them as they've been caught napping once again.

Because everyone else had their 'people' up in this motherfucker lickety split.

Busty said:
Amen brother, when someone got a whiff that a poster was daring to talk about the structure of the CELL, Merovingian was parachuted in to nip that right in the bud.

What the hell are you even talking about?

noonche

artredis1980 said:

Umh. You have to worry about synchronization and allocation of work on Xenon too. It's not magic.

MikeB

Banned
Blitz Games (developing games for various platforms):

"While the GPUs are fast and have a big impact on the visual quality and level of game effects, other factors such as general processing power and memory architecture also come into play."

"It does seem that developers have been slow to make use of the SPEs, especially those coming from other platforms perhaps with existing game engines.

At Blitz we are not reserving SPEs for specific tasks but have implemented a more dynamic system that automatically dispatches processing to each SPE making best use of the available resources. "

Source: Guardian unlimited

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
gofreak said:
Within HPC, and within the types of task that have been written up about on Cell etc. there is a wide computational variety. You talk about it like all HPC code is the same, and that anything outside of that is wildly different. Well, I've news for you..

Second, leveraging the memory heirarchy hasn't much to do with task division.

Third, there seems to be this insinuation or impression that some are trying to make that Cell has to be not suitable for everything that it hasn't been publically demoed for - that yeah, it's great for all these many things that have been published about, but for everything else, including games, it's not. I don't think it works like that. Certain other CPUs in certain other games machines have NO transparency on their performance in any tasks, so are we to believe they're not suitable for anything? Necessarily we don't have as much insight into the progress of game developer's with Cell in the same detail as we do from the research world, because game development is commercial and NDA-ed. But hey, at least we have some transparency on Cell, and from what we've seen for ourselves, it's good.
. so the thread can get back on track

tanod said:
It should also be noted (in case you missed it) that the 1.8 SDK for the PS3 that got released a couple of months ago allowed devs to take advantage of part of the 7th SPE which was previously completely reserved by the OS.

Not true...

7th SPU Still Reserved

Dean Ashton from Sonys Advanced Technology's Group said this is untrue when discussing the 1.9 SDK. I highly doubt they added in the 1.8 then removed in the 1.9.

theBishop

Banned
F1 seems to be the first game that delegates jobs rather than devoting an SPU to a specific task.

I wonder if that team was responsible for the SPURs job scheduling software that's now distributed in EDGE.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
What the fuck happened here?!

I walk in an see sony fans jizzing everywhere.

sakuragi said:
So now If I prefer the PS3 over the Wii and Xbox 360, Im a fanboy? I find it rather Ironic since I dont have a PS3 yet but I'm planing to buy one though. However, I do have a Wii so that makes my a Nintendo fanboy now? I dont get how me stating that the PS3 is more powerful that the Xbox 360 (which is a fact) makes my a fanboy now. My tone my have sounded rather strong, but thats just me when im fed up of all the misinformations and bullshit that comes out of site such as the ones I mentioned previously. Arent fanboys the ones who spread false information? If thats the case, then my post was clearly not fiction. Or maybe you're definition of fanboy is different from mine.
why are you making comments about the PS3 or 360 if you don't own either system. have you played any of the games on the 360 or PS3? just because a system is more powerful does not mean it will make better game. (just look at the X box and NGC they are more powerful then the PS2.) but alot of the times the game came out the same.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Psychotext said:
Hence why I said earlier that all this talk of theoretical maximums is largely academic
All the more so when you consider the myriad of performance gotchas that plague the PPC cores in 360/PS3, as opposed to SPEs which barely have any.

Not to even mention theoreticals being very fudged on PPC side.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Psychotext said:
Hardware differences or not, it's time the games started talking for themselves.

you just shot your self in the foot with that comment dude and not sure if that really helped to support your argument =/

as of late ps3 really is starting to pwn the competetion in terms of visuals .

GT5 is the best looking racing game ever..bar none and its a gen leap from say Forza 2

Killzone 2 - looks quite abit better then Gears of war( you know the showcase game for the 360) and is argubly as impressive as crysis

uncharted looks better then anything on 360

RC:TOD is another amazing looking game

and i wont even mention LAIR...

there isnt one game on 360 that matches the visual fidelity on these titles ,

not to say 360 doesnt have good looking games..because it does and they look amazing on there own right, but as this poster said...let the games do the talking and these titles are evident enough to support my claims

i know i sound like a sony fanboy..and you know what i am a big sony fan but i always give credit where its due and thats the honest to god truth.

this isnt the fanboy side of me speaking , its my own 2 eyes.

have a good day lads , commence flamming now.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
TEH-CJ said:
you just shot your self in the foot with that comment dude and not sure if that really helped to support your argument =/

GT5 is the best looking racing game ever..bar none and its a gen leap from say Forza 2

Killzone 2 - looks quite abit better then Gears of war( you know the showcase game for the 360) and is argubly as impressive as crysis

not to say 360 doesnt have good looking games..because it does and they look amazing on there own right, but as this poster said...let the games do the talking and these titles are evident enough to support my claims

i know i sound like a sony fanboy..and you know what i am a big sony fan but i always give credit where its due and thats the honest to god truth.

Do you have anything else you want to add or do you just want to go ahead and flush?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Not to even mention theoreticals being very fudged on PPC side.

and the theoretical PS3 performance isn`t at least a little fudged?
regardless - right now , the performance in game of both machines seems pretty much the same, so theoretical or not, fudging or not, results remain similar.

Anyways, i`m sure there are a whole host of lurking devs howling at this thread (from both sides of the fence, and from those being called 'lazy' too!)

I just wonder... if devs became pissed off with gobby hardcore gamers like the GAF collective and other equally vocal boards, i wonder if this would then spur a move towards not supporting "the hardcore" and potential see an increase in Wii/DS games? ;)

yes, you aren`t a fanboy - the fact you can see sonys balls infront of your unbaised eyes is just a coincidence...

i`m not a MS fanboy, well i am, but this is just the truth talking and all that, but hey! what can i say? i just call it like i see it and it`s the truth. All talk, no fanboy!

Anyways, again, sonyfanboy over-reaction to the fore! The games are starting to look VERY good indeed - but you guys always ruin it with "a generation ahead!" "umpossiblez on X360" "unmatched on X360" "no game comes close to this sort of fidelity!" etc...

if you just dialed it down a notch, the post would be okay

TEH-CJ said:

you're going to catch some serious heat from that post, dude. anyway, i kinda, sorta agree with you.

DCharlie said:
yes, you aren`t a fanboy - the fact you can see sonys balls infront of your unbaised eyes is just a coincidence...
you shouldn't be pointing fingers, dude. ;p

TEH-CJ

Banned
dai said:
you're going to catch some serious heat from that post, dude. anyway, i kinda, sorta agree with you.

I know i am ha

and i will probably be the most hated user on GAF for that . :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
you shouldn't be pointing fingers, dude. ;p

I`m a lot more moderate than i get credit for, and i`ve given the PS3 a LOT of love. A LOT.

and i will probably be the most hated user on GAF for that

the shadowy society of Sonyfanboy haters had our AGM a week or so.... we have you quite a bit down the rankings, you have a long way to go.

TEH-CJ

Banned
DCharlie said:
regardless - right now , the performance in game of both machines seems pretty much the same, so theoretical or not, fudging or not, results remain similar.

Anyways, i`m sure there are a whole host of lurking devs howling at this thread (from both sides of the fence, and from those being called 'lazy' too!)

I just wonder... if devs became pissed off with gobby hardcore gamers like the GAF collective and other equally vocal boards, i wonder if this would then spur a move towards not supporting "the hardcore" and potential see an increase in Wii/DS games? ;)

i`m not a MS fanboy, well i am, but this is just the truth talking and all that, but hey! what can i say? i just call it like i see it and it`s the truth. All talk, no fanboy!

Anyways, again, sonyfanboy over-reaction to the fore! The games are starting to look VERY good indeed - but you guys always ruin it with "a generation ahead!" "umpossiblez on X360" "unmatched on X360" "no game comes close to this sort of fidelity!" etc...

if you just dialed it down a notch, the post would be okay

I do go overboard sometimes yes...

DCharlie said:
The devs will go where the money is, and right now the future of the Wii is looking pretty good. If it will have games that appeal to the whole GAF community is a very different question.

The 360 and PS3 might have longer lifes though and gain higher volumes when the Wii starts to run out of steam.

TEH-CJ

Banned
DCharlie said:
I`m a lot more moderate than i get credit for, and i`ve given the PS3 a LOT of love. A LOT.

the shadowy society of Sonyfanboy haters had our AGM a week or so.... we have you quite a bit down the rankings, you have a long way to go.

Well thats good to know:D

tanod

when is my burrito
DCharlie said:

hate hate hate hate dave_chapelle_playa_hatin'_club.jpg

Merovingian said:
The irony in this post is second to none.
The air is thick with ironing. :p

Dahbomb

Rhindle said:
So any game that didn't have a PR statement from the studio praising the supreme power of the Cell is a hack job by lazy developers that doesn't use the SPUs. This includes all third party games.

Gotcha.
Agreed. This thread is beyond dumb.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
The point was that certain PR fudged PPC spec to have 50% higher programmable Flop rating then SPE, when that's not even remotely true theoretically, and real-world only skewes advantages further to SPE side.

Getting pissed at your audience often probably means you're due for change of work field, or at least a long vacation.

Anyway, industry's best talent(techwise) are people that are in it for the mad-scientist stuff (like Nostromo and co.) and they aren't gonna change their mindset. However they WILL start leaving this industry en-masse once/if it turns into a collection of Nintendos greatest casual hits and accompanying Ubisoft's clones.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Fafalada said:
Anyway, industry's best talent(techwise) are people that are in it for the mad-scientist stuff (like Nostromo and co.) and they aren't gonna change their mindset. However they WILL start leaving this industry en-masse once/if it turns into a collection of Nintendos greatest casual hits and accompanying Ubisoft's clones.

Tech fiends love pushing tech. Good point that can all to be often missed in such a cynical industry/environment.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
I`m a lot more moderate than i get credit for, and i`ve given the PS3 a LOT of love. A LOT

I see the definition of TOUGH LOVE here ;).

*DC comes home... *whistling* ... *oh no, what does he sees?* ooooh where are my polygons PS3 ? AAhhh so it is RSX's fault for not being fast enough ?!? Didn't I give you EDGE last month ? *bitchslap* You know, I do it because I love you. Tomorrow, I want MSAA too, else I am so NOT playing Warhawk with you!*

I thought no one from Sony would be allowed in your ranks by definition, how come I see a certain Sir Howard listed :p ?

It must have something to do with the recent fall in popularity of our AKKAWD (Association for Kutaragi Ken Absolute World Domination). At the last meeting, I was the only one that showed up :(.

Nostromo

Panajev2001a said:
*DC comes home... *whistling* ... *oh no, what does he sees?* ooooh where are my polygons PS3 ? AAhhh so it is RSX's fault for not being fast enough ?!? Didn't I give you EDGE last month ? *bitchslap* You know, I do it because I love you. Tomorrow, I want MSAA too, else I am so NOT playing Warhawk with you!*
Hey..4X AA, HDR, completely dynamic soft shadows and a few milions triangles per frame.. all by RSX, no other help needed ;)

http://n4g.com/ps3/News-63152.aspx

Stink

Merovingian said:
This is not about hype or PR guys. It's about the validity of claims about the ammount of usage Cell as a whole gets.

Cell is a very interesting CPU, and from a theoretical standpoint, you can have CELL being 2 and 1/2 times as fast as Xenon. The question here is, if they aren't using Cell's strenghts, how in the hell is it keeping up so well with the 360?

Rambus.

Acosta

I would like someone grab Phil Harrison for a long talk about PS3 potential. I remember a interview to him with Edge about Playstation 2 the first year and he did a good job trying to explain the potential of the system and how it could be used.

I am not really interested in how many GFLOPS can deal, but about different ways to use PS3 architecture (for example, I found fascinating what Ninja Theory did with armies IA).

commissar

blindrocket said:
Didn't a Heavenly Sword dev mentioned they had some sound processing on the 7th SPU? I swear that I read that here.
IIRC there's a part of the memory set aside for the OS which /can/ be used for in-game custom soundtracks if the game supports them. A choice of slightly less "game memory" for added functionality.
It's not a great stretch of the imagination for me that NT could point the music fetching to their own game music, using some spare clock cycles on the reserved OS SPU for this.
=> More available resources for the game engine.

That, or my speculation is completely wrong. Your pick :p

MikeB said:
@ Psychotext

The Cell with 8 SPEs managed to get pretty close to 100% efficiency, over 200 GFlops (excluding the PPE that wasn't measured).

All right, this is the pinnacle of utter, utter bullshit.

My car would get 120mpg, assuming the engine runs at 100% efficiency.

These "theoretical" performance numbers mean nothing. More useless then vgchartzzzzz sales numbers. Game code is full of bottlenecks, and nothing runs remotely close to 100% effecivency EXCEPT for carfully made tests desigined to show how perful something is.

Pistolero

It seems, until you watch GT5, KZ2, Ratchet, Uncharted...Might be the talent of developers shining through their games instead of a technical advantage. But, still, those games are technically (not simply ze textures, but animation, lighting, scope) more impressive than anything else out there...

MikeB

Banned
The question here is, if they aren't using Cell's strenghts, how in the hell is it keeping up so well with the 360?

The PS3 has other technological advantage compared to the 360. The system has overall more bandwith and the XDR memory operates at much greater speed. Like is the case with PCs, the unified memory architecture (CPU an GPU, using the same memory) is a technical disadvantage, a performance bottleneck. (On the PS3 both the CPU and GPU have access to both slower and fast memory)

MikeB

Banned
I heard rumours of LittleBigPlanet and Gundam Musou also using 1 SPE. LittleBigPlanet apparently uses it for Physics.

Anyhow a Media Molecule developer stated he enjoys developing for the system:

"We had soft body physics and things like that running early on because we got lots of other smaller things sorted out or decided before hand – and even with all that in place there’s still loads more headroom. The PS3 has this insane quantity of power, which seems to take a cloth simulator, and then lots more you want to throw at it. It’s just a really enjoyable machine to code for."

Source: Wired

chris0701

MikeB said:
I heard rumours of LittleBigPlanet and Gundam Musou also using 1 SPE. LittleBigPlanet apparently uses it for Physics.

Source: Wired

you get SPEs usage info just by official PR ?

If game X 's developer did not say anything about Cell (usuallly from cross-platform title),you could conclude that game X did not use SPEs at all?

Top Bottom