• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Piccoro

Hello. I'll be following this thread.

Currently listening to this in work:
c94411e170680fd5b13882abf3608598ed5e685a.jpg

♫Die, die, die my darling!...♫

Good times! :)

Kaladin

I like. It was also nice to see Lars trying in a live performance. Im hoping their Met on tour stuff releases a high quality version, or they release a recorded single.

If nothing else, it'll be released as a high quality soundboard recording through Live Metallica.

How come?

I'm legitimately curious BTW. I respect your opinion.

Justice was two guitar players at their peak, discovering that they were capable of a lot more, and not just in terms of better writing riffs and solos than their previous work. An album like Justice wouldn't have been possible by a band who hadn't previously written an album like Puppets.

Justice significantly raised the bar, and made metal better. Megadeth's Rust in Peace is a perfect example of a metal guitarist post-Justice. Holy Wars in particular was eye opening- when that dropped, you knew that metal was getting a lot better, and that was because Hetfield and Hammet got heady and evolved metal. Mustaine would never have come up with something like Holy Wars pre-Justice. Justice was an event in metal, which naturally raised the quality and expectations of the whole genre.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Forget new Metallica.....

here is the new Thou album streaming on NPR:

Heathen
I'm actually tempted to call this their best one yet... which means something, since they have an enormous output, and never released something subpar.
Just the best band.

Justice was two guitar players at their peak, discovering that they were capable of a lot more, and not just in terms of better writing riffs and solos than their previous work. An album like Justice wouldn't have been possible by a band who hadn't previously written an album like Puppets.

Justice significantly raised the bar, and made metal better. Megadeth's Rust in Peace is a perfect example of a metal guitarist post-Justice. Holy Wars in particular was eye opening- when that dropped, you knew that metal was getting a lot better, and that was because Hetfield and Hammet got heady and evolved metal. Mustaine would never have come up with something like Holy Wars pre-Justice. Justice was an event in metal, which naturally raised the quality and expectations of the whole genre.
To be fair, Mustaine wouldnt have come up with a lot of stuff if he wasn't chasing Metallica's success.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I forgot. Re: Thou
Apart from the Sacrifice EP with unused songs from the Heathen sessions (I guess no news on that), and a collaborative EP with The Body, there's a 3LP called Ceremonies of Humiliation coming out, which contains all their songs from splits pre-Summit (I think...). And since most of their stuff is free on their website anyway, this compilation was also released for free on bandcamp. It's a bit more comfortable than sifting through their charming homepage.

People, listen to Thou.

obin_gam

Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy quits :(

“Dear ARCH ENEMY fans, this is not easy to tell you…I have decided to step down from being ARCH ENEMY’s voice of anger. After 13 years of pure fucking metal, 6 studio albums and countless tours through five continents, I feel the need to enter a different phase in my life, be with my family and pursue other interests. I will however remain business manager for ARCH ENEMY, and I will continue to develop my artist management roster.

“I am staying true to my heavy metal roots, just leaving the spotlight so to speak. I am passing the torch to the super talented Alissa White-Gluz, whom I’ve known as a dear friend and a superb vocalist for many years. I always thought she deserved a chance to shine – and now she’s getting it. Just like I got that chance back in 2001.

“I want to thank all ARCH ENEMY fans, our labels Century Media (worldwide) and Trooper Entertainment (Japan), our dedicated road crew, and in particular Michael, Daniel and Sharlee for their love and support throughout all these years. It’s been one hell of a ride! We conquered every situation, made it through thick & thin together in the most exciting and rewarding time of my life. Thank you all for being there with me on stage, in front of the stage, and backstage. You have touched my heart, and I hope I was able to give something back to you. I am grateful for the wonderful memories – I will cherish them forever!

“I am looking forward to the next decade of ARCH ENEMY madness! Right now I am listening through rough mixes of the new studio album and I am blown away! 2014 will see a renewed ARCH ENEMY at the top of their game. I am proud to be part of this ARCH ENEMY chapter, albeit in a different way – revving up the engines behind the scenes. I hope to see you in front of the stage; I will join you there this time. Let the killing begin, once again!”

Damnit, I'm seeing them for the first time this June and was really looking forward to seeing her on stage. The greatest metal vixen in the world!

Hope this Alissa White-Gluz is up to par.

Kaladin

Hope Metallica at least release a studio version real soon. Metallica haven't made a good album/one I'm interested in since the 80's.

If the Rolling Stones interview on the track is any indication, we're far from a studio release.

But while the song sounds fully crafted, Ulrich says things change. "We did the same thing when we went out and played a bunch of dates in 2006," he says. "We were writing and played two different new songs over the course of that summer, and none of them made the record [Death Magnetic]. One was called 'New Song 1' – going out on a creative limb, here – and the other was called 'New Song 2.' That's how deep we went. There was a couple of pieces in 'New Song 1,' some of the middle bit ended up in 'All Nightmare Long,' and the intro bit ended up in 'The End of the Line.' That's how we work; stuff just gets changed around, moved over and this goes over there and the rest of that gets sacked and that ends up in the intro in song five." [Laughs]

"So who knows what's going to happen with this stuff," he says. "But we are off and running and have been creating away in the studio and now we're going to go out and play and sweat and share and we've got some new music that we want to throw everybody's way. And maybe by the time we get to Europe, there will be a different song or different thing or different arrangement. Who knows? We'll sort of take it one step at a time."

Blackheim

^ Not all that surprising if you're familiar with the band Meathook Seed, which Mitch was a part of along with Shane Embury, Trevor Peres and Donald Tardy. Second album had Clark Brown on vocals (minus Trevor and Donald)I think from Geezer's band (ecluding the debut w/Burton C. Bell). Didn't care for that one too much, first album, Embedded, is awesome though.

Any fans of Cobalt here? Phil McSorley posted he's quitting the band. Here's the statement from Facebook:

From McSorley:
I have decided to quit Cobalt. I am grateful for what Cobalt started from, and the impressive amount of people affected by its music. I still feel a connection with the work we did, but I no longer feel that I am a part of its vision.

Cobalt started with Erik and I making angry and heartfelt music, that later moved into more expressive music. It held a ton of symbology to my life, and for its help in making me who I am I am grateful.

I will continue to make music on my own terms, but for me Cobalt is best left where it is. Thanks to all for the years of friendship and support. If Erik continues to create under the name Cobalt I support his decision. He was always a genius anyway.

Super lame, I've been waiting for him and Erik to be within the same timezone again and make some sweet music.

I DRINK MY
I DRINK MY
I DRINK MY
I DRINK MY GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

pablito

man, i really want to like those triptykon songs. i quite enjoyed monotheist, but triptykon has failed to scratch that itch. something is just missing for me.

Jordoon

Yesss sounds awesome. Definitely my most hyped album this year. 4 years is long enough, I need more Agalloch! (I didn't really care for Faustian Echoes).

The Mantle was something new and phenomenal. What was cool about it was how out of left field it was, and the amateurish playing and production added to how personal the album is. The new song is about as good as anything else they've done since then.

mantidor

Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy quits :(

Damnit, I'm seeing them for the first time this June and was really looking forward to seeing her on stage. The greatest metal vixen in the world!

Hope this Alissa White-Gluz is up to par.

I saw Arch enemy live some years ago it was awesome.

I saw the news but I'm glad is she stepping down and not some bullshit like what went down with Nightwish.

And in other news Rotting Chirst is coming to town! finally, there's so few bands that come here, it's been ages since I've been on a live show.

Ravager61

The Mantle was something new and phenomenal. What was cool about it was how out of left field it was, and the amateurish playing and production added to how personal the album is. The new song is about as good as anything else they've done since then.

Amateurish playing and production? Da fuk?

blahness

There are a lot of great tours coming up, anyone have something they are especially excited about?

I am going to see godflesh pretty soon, and then the very next night gorguts and carcass are playing. I already have tickets to both. I think the weekend after that behemoth is coming to town and gojira is gonna be in NYC in May. They are on tour with mastodon. I am probably gonna go see gojira, not sure about behemoth, their new album rules though.

Next month: Carcass/Gorguts/Noisem, then Eyehategod/High on Fire/Corrosion of Conformity (Animosity lineup)

Faaaan-freaking-tastic. It sounds like... well, Agalloch. While I DO wonder how long it will take for people to tire of the undeniably unique (and thus, eventually familiar) Agalloch sound, it certainly hasn't worn out its welcome for me yet.

Also congrats to our overlord (i.e. thread creator, Mr. Sandman) on his recent acquisition of a badass female counterpart. While I haven't talked to anyone else in this fine community about it (because that would be insanely weird), I hope I speak on behalf of all of us when I say congratulations, and best of luck brotha. It's always great when something good happens to a fellow Metal-GAFfer.

Now, if you can get her into true metal of ANY kind, you know she's a real keeper

Malevolent Creation's first two are great if not groundbreaking OSDM LPs. Definitely, definitely listen to Retribution. Envenomed through Warkult are also worth a playthrough.

Top Bottom