• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

TheExodu5

Banned
So...Lightning Mace/Shield Templar with Resolute Strike? Viable? I'm not sure how important the ability to crit would be, considering I still get 20% shock chance from the shock nodes.

injurai

Banned
I doubt PoE is being downloaded by nearly a million people right now. Not a fair comparison/criticism

One of these companies had Launched an MMO + 4 expansions and SC2 by the time they had to launch D3... plus a massive amount of assets to pour into the server system...

I think Grinding Gears did a pretty good job.

neoism

It depends if you make your character fun or not. I've personally made characters that are as fun to play as some of the funnest builds in D2, but I've also made some of the shittiest ones that play extremely dull :p

what would you recommend for a first timer... don't really know anything about the game, I watched kripp play for a few weeks... thinking about going Shadow for my first character..

Perkel

Banned
I doubt PoE is being downloaded by nearly a million people right now. Not a fair comparison/criticism

D3 was fail because it came from biggest MMORPG company which known that there will be several milion people playing game in first week and since they included always online bullshit they should have known that they will need a lot of server power.

GGG is adding NOW more servers.

KKRT00

So will there be a character wipe after Open Beta? I imagine yes but I couldn't find a definitive. answer.

Answered my own question. No there will not be a wipe after open beta ends. All char wipes are fineto.

It was answered in this thread [on first pages for example] like 20 times :) and its also on the main page of the game. No, there wont be wipe after Open Beta, everything You get, stays forever.

---
About D3 launch, it was not launch, but it lasted for weeks. Also PoE servers are merged, so You can play with guys from New Zealand, Australia, Europe, Asian and USA all in one party, You cant do that in D3. Of course scale is different, but experience and resources are different too.

V_Arnold

Jesus christ guys, still attacking D3 even now? Damn it.
I was in in D3 launch NIGHT, 1 hour after launch. 1 hour. Did not have a disconnect and any issues that night. Or any issues in the following two days, except for 20 minutes of "error 37" in the second night.

Ferny

I was in in D3 launch NIGHT, 1 hour after launch. 1 hour. Did not have a disconnect and any issues that night. Or any issues in the following two days, except for 20 minutes of "error 37" in the second night.

I didn't have many issues on D3 launch either BUT there were a TON of people who did end up having a ton of problems not getting in. Doesn't mean it wasn't the norm.

Dresden

I was there for the launch, had to pack it up and go to sleep. Didn't get to really play until like the second or third day and issues kept cropping up for that week.

Jackl

I agree D3 comparisons are out of order, but you were an extremely lucky man. The first 3 days consisted of my using a macro to even get in the game.

Downloading the game client now and going in with ZERO expectations. I've seen a fair bit of the game in action watching kripp every now and again, but after the huge letdown that was D3 it'll be better this way.

Spookie

So after the shit download speeds I get in and the game is lag free and runs flawlessly.

Ha. Take that Blizzard you incompetent fucks.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Getting a good rate right now. 3-4 of my freinds are bring their computers to my store so we can get some local play on. Shit was godlike with D3, probably even better with this.

KKRT00

LOL, its working flawlessly, no lag, no queue. Latency below 50ms o_0

BTW Nick: KKRT

Ps. Limiting FPS in Nvidia Inspector works perfectly, fan is quiter and fps is set to 60 :)

Talaysen

Played this a bit during closed beta, but now that there's no more wipes I can actually spend more time on it without feeling bad. Going to start with a summon witch on Hardcore (though I doubt I'll last there long anyway). Hopefully I can fit in some totems and lightning but I'll have to check the tree.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So after the shit download speeds I get in and the game is lag free and runs flawlessly.

Ha. Take that Blizzard you incompetent fucks.

Completely different situations though. PoE runs locally on your computer, just like past Diablo games. D3, on the other hand, has its game logic (enemy AI, drops, etc) run on the server, so any lag will make the actual gameplay lag as well. The D3 client is basically just a dumb client that does what the server tells it to, rather than run the game logic itself like PoE does. Not defending Blizzard's awful D3 launch, but PoE running lag-free isn't surprising. There can still be lag when playing with others of course, but when playing alone I don't think that should happen (?), unlike in D3 where you're always playing online whether you're alone or with others.

Perkel

Banned

Yeah working perfectly. Wait i did play on US servers for a few days because EU ones were complete shit. Count yourself lucky.

NG28

Congratulations? Plenty of others including myself had a hell of a time trying to play the game those first few days.

Card Boy

Banned

Good for you. I had spikes of over 3000 ping constantly (i shit you not) on that game for 2 weeks. I tried attacking an enemy and the action would happen 5 seconds latter.

KKRT00

Completely different situations though. PoE runs locally on your computer, just like past Diablo games. D3, on the other hand, has its game logic (enemy AI, drops, etc) run on the server, so any lag will make the actual gameplay lag as well. The D3 client is basically just a dumb client that does what the server tells it to, rather than run the game logic itself like PoE does. Not defending Blizzard's awful D3 launch, but PoE running lag-free isn't surprising. There can still be lag when playing with others of course, but when playing alone I don't think that should happen (?), unlike in D3 where you're always playing online whether you're alone or with others.

No, PoE also runs everything server side and even double checks collision and hits, so You dont have desync situations like in D3.

Top Bottom