• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

bengraven

Hey guys. How's your year been?

What did you read instead of a new GRRM book?

Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb over here.

I can't even imagine the amount of money Martin has lost by releasing one book during the show's run. It's truly an amazing feat of failure and misplaced priorities. In fact speaking of misplaced priorities I can't help but wonder if Martin increasing the amount of projects he's juggling has anything to do with him trying to make up the money he has lost by not releasing Winds. Cash advances based on meeting deadlines, for instance.

I can't even imagine the amount of money Martin has lost by releasing one book during the show's run. It's truly an amazing feat of failure and misplaced priorities. In fact speaking of misplaced priorities I can't help but wonder if Martin increasing the amount of projects he's juggling has anything to do with him trying to make up the money he has lost by not releasing Winds. Cash advances based on meeting deadlines, for instance.
I think HBO is showering him with plenty of money.

NeoGiff

I actually finished up Assassin's Quest, funnily enough. I wasn't a fan of the ending despite loving the two and a half books before it, and it put a downer on my enthusiasm for the rest of the books set in that world. I also restarted The Witcher series, after formerly reading the first 4 books before Wild Hunt came out. I'll finish it this time now that they've all been translated.

More relevantly, I've lost most of my interest in TWOW. I find myself not caring anymore.

Turin

Banned
Littlefinger should die like that scene in The Lion King when the hyenas kill Scar. He pisses off one character too many.

I think Littlefinger should find himself increasingly out of his element. The walls will close in around him.

This has to be the season where all the two-bit bad guys bite it to make way for the true villain of the show.

5795551-3925112083-night.gif

I think he's cool but D&D basically confirmed he won't be getting a single speaking line either this or next season. :\

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've pretty much ignored all the buildup and news for the new season. Can't believe it's only a week away.

I want to see Cersei get stomped.

Turin

Banned

Outside of school requirements, nothing really. Reread The Children of Hurin randomly. Purchased The Blade Itself but never got around to reading it.

jett

D-Member
I wish they would give this guy a speaking part. He could be like the Caesar of whitewalkers.

I think Littlefinger should find himself increasingly out of his element. The walls will close in around him.

I think he's cool but D&D basically confirmed he won't be getting a single speaking line either this or next season. :\

Well I never expected him to speak to be honest, white walkers are a force of nature.

Can't wait for us to finally focus on the most boring villain in the series.

And yet he's the big bad! The others are small-time. It makes me wonder how apocalyptic are D&D going to get in Season 8.

Speevy

Banned
Cersei is the big bad. The whitewalkers are like the storm in a disaster movie and Cersei is like that guy who won't listen to the scientists.

cj_iwakura

The Walkers don't need lines, they've conveyed everything without a word.

Place yer bets on who dies first. (I have no idea, I haven't read any leaks and don't plan to.)

I'm guessing Thoros. :(

NeoGiff

Has Varys ever interacted with Dany or was him awkwardly standing behind her post-teleportation in the finale the first time we saw them together?

Speevy

Banned
The first death this season will be the characters either closest to the whitewalkers or closest to King's Landing.

They need some time to set up some deaths (that was a joke), while others are rather more straightforward.

Oddly enough I don't think any named character will die in the first episode.

Azzanadra

Its cathartic seeing this franchise come to a close.

You know what? Fuck it, as someone who thinks the show is overhyped brain junk food for the masses...Admittedly, we have waited so long for this story to finish that I would take the rest as jot note points on a piece of wet tissue paper, so for me the show is adequate for finally getting some resolution as a fan who has been following the franchise for almost a decade now. I love ASOIAF, but now I just want it to end... close the book on this chapter of my life if you will.

I guess we always knew the final battle would most likely be a standard good vs.evil story, but its disappointing its finally here...when its all said and done, I think ASOIAF will be one of those stories where the journey was better than the destination. I remember being on the Reddit subscribing to various theories that would make the walkers more palpable than the standard "evil dudes" they are made out to be, but as we near the end that seems exactly to be the case. Hopefully they can redeem Euron somewhat, make him closer to his book counterpart but with only 7 episodes this season I doubt we will have time for that.

Speevy

Banned
As bad as the show can be sometimes, you still can't get a lot of the spectacle it provides from most other shows.

I wonder if that will change.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The first death this season will be the characters either closest to the whitewalkers or closest to King's Landing.

They need some time to set up some deaths (that was a joke), while others are rather more straightforward.

Oddly enough I don't think any named character will die in the first episode.

I'm trying to piece together where everyone left off. North is in aftermath of war, Bran/Meera are very close to being back, Cersei has cemented her hold on KL, and there's a boatload of ships out there. My first guess of danger would be if those ships run into other ships or if they head straight to KL, which going by the trailers is doubtful, seeing Dany @ Dragonstone). So your thought of a clean 1st episode is very probable. It'll be something like 1/3rd catchup of last season and 2/3rd introducing the 1st arcs of the season.

Speevy

Banned
I'm wondering if they'll bother with Yohn Royce and Robin Arryn. It seems like Littlefinger just owns the Vale anyway.

Burt

Cersei is the big bad. The whitewalkers are like the storm in a disaster movie and Cersei is like that guy who won't listen to the scientists.

Psh. Look at this villainous ass outfit

Now look at this villainous ass outfit

18v3uHz.gif

Cersei's about to get a shard of dragonglass right in the ticker and become a literal ice queen.

Turin

Banned
If they have Meera return home, they can just say he exists and move on.

Worth it for the set piece.

Psh. Look at this villainous ass outfit

Now look at this villainous ass outfit

18v3uHz.gif

Cersei's about to get a shard of dragonglass right in the ticker and become a literal ice queen.

That would certainly be a twist.

I'm kind of up for anything at this point.

That's not how book contracts work, and certainly not for authors who can guarantee millions of dollars in sales. GRRM is not hurting for money. I think he's just trying to enjoy the accolades that success has brought him (which includes getting lesser projects under contract), besides being a slow writer with a debilitating writing method.

Has Varys ever interacted with Dany or was him awkwardly standing behind her post-teleportation in the finale the first time we saw them together?
First time we saw them together iirc
BTW if anybody needs a refresher, the superfans at The Ringer put out recap pods for every episode so far released (!!).

https://theringer.com/binge-mode-game-of-thrones-season-6-530a84afb253

They are real knowledgeable on the show and the books and the ancillary stuff. At least worth grabbing a least a couple pods for key eps here and there.
Yeah, this has been great. Jason and Mallory are really knowledgeable and they have a lot of fun with it (Jason's terrible impressions are amazing).

mantidor

That's not how book contracts work, and certainly not for authors who can guarantee millions of dollars in sales. GRRM is not hurting for money. I think he's just trying to enjoy the accolades that success has brought him (which includes getting lesser projects under contract), besides being a slow writer with a debilitating writing method.

Money is no issue now for him, but it must suck to get your work spoiled on the TV show, because this is what is going to happen, at least certain very important plot points of the saga. This has already happened, see: "hold the door".

Azzanadra

Money is no issue now for him, but it must suck to get your work spoiled on the TV show, because this is what is going to happen, at least certain very important plot points of the saga. This has already happened, see: "hold the door".

Its very much his fault though, GRRM has let the fame/money consume him whereas other "celebrity" authors like Rowling and Stephen King remain steadfast have avoided that fate. Its his own legacy that's being tarnished, he will always be that author who let the material world overcome his artistic sensibilities, and if he actually doesn't finish the books? That would be truly ironic for a guy that obsesses over legacy and pines for his works to be the next entry into the fantasy literary canon like Tolkein.

If sansa follows this guy and betrays her family I'm going to riot.

Lol. He's done it twice already. He killed Jon Arryn to force Ned to leave Winterfell.

And chances are, he probably spread the rumor about Raeghar "kidnapping" Lyanna when Brandon Stark is about to marry the love of Peter's life - Ned's future wife, Catlyn.

Chumley

Banned

He could have gotten them out quicker if he gave more of a shit. He's one of the slowest writers in recorded history and types just with his index fingers IIRC, on ancient technology.

He spent a couple of years doing constant appearances and press shit for the show as well. TWoW just hasn't been a priority for him until the last few years.

He has no one to blame but himself and his own atrocious work habits at this point.

Winds of Winter should have been done by now.

I look at someone like J.K Rowling who's able to juggle movies, appearances and still complete the books.

Mind you, the world of Harry Potter is 1/100 as complicated as the world of ice and fire.

But having 6 years to finish a story this far along already is unacceptable. He's ruining his own legacy with his procrastination.

jett

D-Member
Lol. He's done it twice already. He killed Jon Arryn to force Ned to leave Winterfell.

And chances are, he probably spread the rumor about Raeghar "kidnapping" Lyanna when Brandon Stark is about to marry the love of Peter's life - Ned's future wife, Catlyn.

Huh that sounds possible.

mantidor

Its very much his fault though, GRRM has let the fame/money consume him whereas other "celebrity" authors like Rowling and Stephen King remain steadfast have avoided that fate. Its his own legacy that's being tarnished, he will always be that author who let the material world overcome his artistic sensibilities, and if he actually doesn't finish the books? That would be truly ironic for a guy that obsesses over legacy and pines for his works to be the next entry into the fantasy literary canon like Tolkein.

He could have gotten them out quicker if he gave more of a shit. He's one of the slowest writers in recorded history and types just with his index fingers IIRC, on ancient technology.

He spent a couple of years doing constant appearances and press shit for the show as well. TWoW just hasn't been a priority for him until the last few years.

He has no one to blame but himself and his own atrocious work habits at this point.

I am not disagreeing, there is no one else to blame, but really, I still feel for him. GRRM being a TV writer I feel he gave too much good will and confidence to D&D and the medium, so it must suck in a way. I can't wait for the animation adaptation 40 years from now on that will be more faithful, paced, and overall better, I'll be 80 but I have hope for modern medicine to keep me alive and sound of mind for that long.

Speevy

Banned
Are you guys getting a positive, negative, or mixed vibe about the promotional material they've shown so far?

Do you think this season looks better or worse than season 6?

jett

D-Member
Are you guys getting a positive, negative, or mixed vibe about the promotional material they've shown so far?

Do you think this season looks better or worse than season 6?

I feel like it will be S6-tier. Good spectacle, solid forward momentum.

Top Bottom