• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

Good episode. Light on the action except for the end but very enjoyable.

And that woman is HUGE.
Everyone I watched with was astounded when she was walking with Catelyn. "She just looks that much taller because Cat's behind, right? There's no way. Is she on stilts?"

scy

Well I mean, she is 6'3". Still, something seemed ... off about her build. Like, things looked out of proportion on it. I have no idea how to put this into better words but just something about it all seemed odd to me.

Well I mean, she is 6'3". Still, something seemed ... off about her build. Like, things looked out of proportion on it. I have no idea how to put this into better words but just something about it all seemed odd to me.

I think it was just her Armor more than anything else...

Slo

Tyrion still rocking it. Still waiting for the pendulum to swing back and stomp his ass. Pretty sure he's going to be this season's major character death. :(

Both of these in tandem, probably.

Ya.

EnyPb.jpg

Cyan

Banned
Tyrion still rocking it. Still waiting for the pendulum to swing back and stomp his ass. Pretty sure he's going to be this season's major character death. :(

Nah, it'll be all the other Starks except Bran. Can already see it coming. :/

Mhh, hard to imagine. He's basically the only decent Lannister, so a lot of the current dynamic/complexity would be lost.
I can see him losing his status though.

Joni

Nah, it'll be all the other Starks except Bran. Can already see it coming. :/

No, probably that small no-name Stark kid nobody cares about. But hey, if that means a Sansa death scene, no problem. I would have more problems with Arya, Bran or Rob dying.

sangreal

I can tell you what the show has told us so far.

Renly Baratheon is blowing everyone away with 100k soldiers in his army. The Season 2 premiere told us that the Tyrells have joined him, so he basically has two of the wealthiest kingdoms.
Robb had 20k towards the end of Season 1, and he may have more now, although not nearly as many as Renly.
Stannis has a small army.
The Lannisters have enough that if Robb and Renly joined, the Lannisters would be outnumbered 2:1. So if Robb still has only 20k, they have 60k; if Robb has doubled to 40k, they have 70k, etc.

Right now in army size, it would go Renly > Lannister > Stark > Stannis. However, up to this point Robb has been the best leader and commander of all four, which gives him a bit of a force-multiplier.

FYI, I was rewatching some episodes of the first season and Tywin gives Jamie half of the Lannister's forces (30k men) to take to the riverlands after Tyrion is captured. I believe that is the same army that later scatters when Jamie is captured, but either way the Lannisters started the series with 60k men

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This season is much harder to follow than last season.

There's dudes in the OP who are happy to answer any questions you're confused about, or just ask your questions here and anyone can try to answer them.

I'm real bored here at work, ask away...

Episode 3 felt very much like laying the foundation for what will no doubt be explosive stuff later in the season. A slow burn but its all good, it makes it all the sweeter later.

I just love that I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen from episode to episode, and even in the middle of an episode. Nobody is safe, no subject seems too taboo.

Randdalf

:( I'm back to being confused as all hell.

Yeah, there are scenes referenced in this season that weren't prominently shown in the first season. For example, Littlefinger talks about Janos Slynt being given Harrenhal, that only happened as an introductory shot to Barristan Selmy being stripped of his ranks, you definitely need to watch closely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some viewers didn't even know that Janos Slynt existed as a character in the first series, he always had his helmet on.

This season is much harder to follow than last season.

They're still introducing story lines but you should be OK when they settle down and develop each of them.

But as mentioned, ask away about any clarifications. I'm super great at not spoiling--like I said earlier I wouldn't even spill Ned's fate to a friend who guessed it from very obvious evidence at this point.

The numbers seem a bit weird, 100k men in the north, 100k men under the lannisters, 100k for renly, (and none for his brother?) that's a shitload of dudes.

And viserys expected 40k horsemen under drogo to retake the throne?

JGS

Banned
The numbers seem a bit weird, 100k men in the north, 100k men under the lannisters, 100k for renly, (and none for his brother?) that's a shitload of dudes.

I didn't think anyone had the numbers of Renly, but they're weak. Drago's army would have been the fiercest.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

The dothraki are more fierce warriors than Westeros has, but I do agree that the numbers have to be on their side at that point. Really I believe it comes down to the fact that Viserys was being lied to and manipulated by Illyrio from the beginning.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member

Just for clarification, its more like 20k for the Starks and somewhere between the two for the Lannisters. Stannis has the least because he only has the Baratheon forces from Dragonstone, where as Renly has the support of the houses sworn to Baratheon on the mainland.

Also, a 40k mounted troops are far more powerful than as many on foot.

Cyan

Banned
And a quick explanation for people wondering about all the gratuitous-seeming sex scenes and nudity.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Didn't about this thread. The other one is way too convoluted.

I'm pissed about Yoren's death too.

Zeliard

Brienne is awesome. If there isn't a scene later on where she picks up Joffrey by the scruff of the neck and just casually launches him towards the nearest wall, I'll be disappointed.

Arjen

Really liked this episode, Tyrion might be my favorite character ever.
And sorry, stupid question, but who was the king lady stark visited? Was that also a brother of Robert? I'm still having a bit of a hard time keeping up with al the names.

Zeliard

And sorry, stupid question, but who was the king lady stark visited? Was that also a brother of Robert? I'm still having a bit of a hard time keeping up with al the names.

It's Renly Baratheon, the younger brother of Robert and Stannis.

Chris R

She visited Renly. Renly is the younger brother of both Stannis and Robert.

Lothar

Banned

This might help. http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/guide/houses/

In season 1, he was the guy that tried to persuade Ned to strike while the castle slept before King Robert died.

The scene I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTvT-1xaaoY

Zyzyxxz

Can someone explain how Renly gathered 100K men? I thought Stannis was considered a truly honorable man so why aren't the lords flocking to him?

Can someone explain how Renly gathered 100K men? I thought Stannis was considered a truly honorable man so why aren't the lords flocking to him?

Because they don't like Stannis. Seriously.

Renly is charismatic and well loved by the people.
Stannis is a hard-ass who scowls at everyone.

Also, Renly's marriage to Margaery secured him the support of a major house (Tyrell) and its associated bannermen.

Ventrue

Renly's lover and wife are son and daughter of Lord Tyrell, Tyrell being one of the great houses. So he has all of their men. He also rallied a lot of the Baratheon bannermen, because people consider him much more likeable than Stannis.

Do you think it also has anything to do with Renly being the Lord of Storm's End?

The key reason the lords aren't flocking to Stannis is because none of them give a shit about him. He doesn't inspire them. Think about the riddle Varys posed.

Klyka

Banned
Someone needs to gif the look Renly have Margaery when she said "We could ask my brother to help? He could get you started".

It was fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom