• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Ninja Games

Harmen

I'll echo Metal Gear Revengeance. Raiden is totally a (mecha)Ninja and there are definitely stealth sections/options, on top of some of the most epic sword combat out there.

ScOULaris

I'm having a hard time handling the neglect of Shinobido 2 in this thread. If even the type of gamers who would post in a GAF ninja thread haven't played it, there's no hope of there ever being another one.

To anyone who likes Tenchu: you'll LOVE Shinobido 2. It's like Tenchu but better in nearly every way. It captures the ninja fantasy better than anything else mentioned this thread.

If you like running along rooftops, stealth killing Samurai, using grappling hooks, crafting powerful ninja tools with alchemy, serving different warlords Rashomon-style, and unlocking a bevy of badass ninja outfits... you need to play Shinobido 2.

Msyjsm

N++.

It's merely the best platformer ever made. Also, it has more content and is objectively more difficult than any other game that will be mentioned in this thread. (And I say this with the utmost confidence despite never having played any of the other games in this thread.)

I'm having a hard time handling the neglect of Shinobido 2 in this thread. If even the type of gamers who would post in a GAF ninja thread haven't played it, there's no hope of there ever being another one.

To anyone who likes Tenchu: you'll LOVE Shinobido 2. It's like Tenchu but better in nearly every way. It captures the ninja fantasy better than anything else mentioned this thread.

If you like running along rooftops, stealth killing Samurai, using grappling hooks, crafting powerful ninja tools with alchemy, serving different warlords Rashomon-style, and unlocking a bevy of badass ninja outfits... you need to play Shinobido 2.
If it makes you feel any better, I was late to the Vita party and the game is discontinued digitally. I'll get around to buying it physically soon but I've avoided it thus far since I keep my stuff digital these days.

I've always been fond of I-Ninja

fSccKNs.jpg

It's a fun platformer. I think it aged fairly well too.

Irem's Ninja Baseball Bat Man.

A 4-player beat em up that's exactly what the title says. It's got fantastic sprite art and hilarious enemies wrapped around fantastic gameplay.

Rathorial

Mark of the Ninja & Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

Both sell something in the vicinity of an actual ninja, being a shadow assassin with vulnerability vs. most other games casting them as an action hero with a sword wrecking everything. Ninja Gaiden Black or Sigma is the best as the action hero fantasy in ninja clothing though.

Dreavus

I might recommend Furi here. Not so much thematically (main character has more of a cyberpunk samurai thing going on), but the ultra tight controls and instant speed dashes make you feel kind of like a Ninja, at least I thought so. No ninjitsu techniques though.

zenspider

Tenchu and Mark Of The Ninja.

When Tenchu came out it was one of those games when you leave your house you're looking for angles, grappling points, etc. in your environment. So immersive and beat the pants of MGS's "Pac-Man" stealth at the time.
Never played too much of the sequels so I don't know where the series fell off - I feel like the AI and forcrd non-stealth sections were the biggest culprit.

I haven't played much of Mark Of The Ninja, but I feel the mechanics being made for a 2D game were spot on, though I didn't "feel like a ninja".

Honorable mention: Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I put on the Shiekah outfit and get up to straight shenanigans.

pa22word

Why not Sigma again?

Because it's crappier. They cut content for no reason, and everything they added makes the game worse for it. Including loading times to open chests. Loading times in the middle of fights. Loading times everywhere! Rachel segments are boring and laughably underdeveloped not to mention they fuck the pacing, the visual upgrade is jarringly applied because it looks like they ran out of money and about 1/3 through the game and hit ship, the balance changes they made universally just suck, and the jetbike dudes they added are probably right next to the worm in the 9th circle of itagaki hell in terms of bad design.

Sigma is basically star wars blu ray version.

eso76

Ninja gaiden black is the best game with the word ninja in the title and one of the best games ever period.

But it falls a bit short on actual ninjutsu, no ?
When I think ninja it's something else I have in mind.
Something like Tenchu, maybe. Stealth, ninja gadgets and disguises, assassinations..

Shinobi series for Genesis, especially Shinobi 2 and 3, are MUST PLAY games. also a must play is Shadow Dancer, which is Shinobi but you have a killer dog you can sic on people.

Well, since everything else i know of has already been named...

Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken 7 have ninja characters that i really enjoy playing.

Styling on people with Kunimitsu and Raven/Master Raven is very fun.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Shinobi 3
Revenge of Shinobi
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi
Ninja Spirit
Ninja Five O
Ninja Gaiden series
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Super House of the Dead Ninjas

pa22word

I played NG2 and the Sigma entries on Vita, never managed to play NGB though. I always wanted to, just never managed to pick up a copy.

Sigma copies of 1 are fine, mostly. It's Sigma 2 where they went in and just butchered the game. Unless you're someone who plays a lot of ninja Gaiden the differences probably won't be that noticeable to you other than shit like the loading times thing. The changes that piss people off most about Sigma are mostly related to backend stuff that only becomes more important the more you actually play it. This is why you have people who say they like Sigma more, and when you ask them how many times they beat black and signa they say "once". Yeah, well no shit >.> So yeah, Black is the best version of Ninja Gaiden. Whether or not you should track down a copy and play it over Sigma is something that depends mostly on yourself.

Sigma vita tho has my eternal scorn for applying cheat codes to alternate costumes that didn't have them in other versions. It's like come on guys why you gotta ruin my evil Ryu costume with that double damage dealt nonsense?

Syril

Sigma copies of 1 are fine, mostly. It's Sigma 2 where they went in and just butchered the game. Unless you're someone who plays a lot of ninja Gaiden the differences probably won't be that noticeable to you other than shit like the loading times thing. The changes that piss people off most about Sigma are mostly related to backend stuff that only becomes more important the more you actually play it. This is why you have people who say they like Sigma more, and when you ask them how many times they beat black and signa they say "once". Yeah, well no shit >.> So yeah, Black is the best version of Ninja Gaiden. Whether or not you should track down a copy and play it over Sigma is something that depends mostly on yourself.

Sigma vita tho has my eternal scorn for applying cheat codes to alternate costumes that didn't have them in other versions. It's like come on guys why you gotta ruin my evil Ryu costume with that double damage dealt nonsense?
What kind of backend stuff?

pa22word

What kind of backend stuff?

They screwed with the AI in most enemies to be less aggressive in general, blue essence drops are increased, you can heal at any time so attacks that would have killed you outright in Black and be cheesed out of by spamming healing items, which are a lot easier to get because the BE drops increasing means you have a ton larger window for UTs and thus more money in general to buy supplies. If you're even halfway competent in your ninja gaidening you can break the economy and hit max money very early in the game this way.

Just an example on the enemy thing is that the Berserkers, the most feared enemy in NGB, are total cakewalks in Sigma because they no longer have any strikes that can break your block on first hit. This means that you can just spam counter on them endlessly and take them out without even a modicum of threat.

Pooya

Do enemies still beg for their lives in Razor's Edge? I was meaning to play it at some point but it never happened. I left 3 mid way through in disgust. It was so bad.

mhayes86

I used to love the Tenchu games.

In addition, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Muramasa were great. Nioh as well, if you consider that a ninja game.

Top Bottom