• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thimbleweed Park - a Ron Gilbert game |OT| Thirty-scumm years of adventures

Thimbleweed Park is brilliant in every way, and no one should hesitate on buying it. The nostalgia and feels are super strong with this one.
This game and Ron deserve huge success, and I hope more games like this are made instead of the usual drivel infesting the market now!

Thimbleweed Park is brilliant in every way, and no one should hesitate on buying it. The nostalgia and feels are super strong with this one.
This game and Ron deserve huge success, and I hope more games like this are made instead of the usual drivel infesting the market now!

Yes!!! It's so sad the P&C adventure genre is pretty much dead. Thimbleweed Park is juts pure fun. It also shows that you don't need high end graphics. This game is charming, atmospheric and beautiful.

low-G

Been anticipating this one for a while. I'm not a huge adventure game fan, but / partially because I consider the original Maniac Mansion to be the pinnacle of the genre. There have been other very good adventure games, Full Throttle being one of the most significant to me, but none have touched the glory of Maniac Mansion 1.

So... bought this. About to dive in!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Huh interesting, I thought it was Xbox One/PC exclusive. When is it coming to PS4 and where/when was it announced?

low-G

OK, I put in 1.5 hours and it has certainly impressed me. Humor is more Monkey Island style and they lay it on pretty thick, but they're definitely hitting the right notes.

Tone and atmosphere are real good. Nice visual variety. Really like some of the voice actors. One bit of tired content that is a bit bleh, but lots of clever bits. Also, wondering if they can really get away with so many Maniac Mansion references. They lay that on very thick too.

Most hooked on a non-VR game I've been since getting VR!

Dsyndrome

Huh interesting, I thought it was Xbox One/PC exclusive. When is it coming to PS4 and where/when was it announced?
After the three month Xbox One exclusivity is up, Ron mentioned it during a few of his TP blog posts.
Found it:
We haven't announced anything with PS4, but our intentions are to release there was well. As I've mentioned in the past, Microsoft has a three month exclusive, so it will be at least three months after the core platforms. Our Microsoft deal also specifies that we can't release on any other platform before the Xbox, so Mac, Windows, Linux and Xbox will all release at the same time. It's not really holding anything back, it's actually giving us breathing room on for getting the Steam builds tight.
https://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/stateofthegame4

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Am I a fool for picking up all these specks of dust?

halfbeast

Banned
OK, I put in 1.5 hours and it has certainly impressed me. Humor is more Monkey Island style and they lay it on pretty thick, but they're definitely hitting the right notes.

Tone and atmosphere are real good. Nice visual variety. Really like some of the voice actors. One bit of tired content that is a bit bleh, but lots of clever bits. Also, wondering if they can really get away with so many Maniac Mansion references. They lay that on very thick too.

Most hooked on a non-VR game I've been since getting VR!

they reference all the old games, maniac, zak, monkey island, etc. some of the puzzles/items/locations are basically copy/pastes. you also need to play the old games just to get 50% of the jokes.
also, not a fan of the sierra shade, pixelhunting for dust would've been enough, no need for the "we're better than sierra!"-trashtalk.

Terra_Ex

Played for around an hour. Definitely feels like an advancement over the old SCUMM games whilst still retaining the feel of the classics. I'm reminded of an interview Ron did discussing the merit of making his own engine from scratch over rolling with something like AGS and benefits certainly show here, particularly in smoothing over a lot of the old foibles of the classics, like the ability run via double click for example - it genuinely feels good to play. Happy to have the verb menu back - it's like picking up where we left off classic point and clicks- great pixel art visuals, nice humour with plenty of nods to the classics - really enjoying it so far.

Mr. Hyde

I wish this was on switch. However, I will get it for PC to remind me of the good days of playing these types of games.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's kinda weird, I found the guy's dime, and he asked for it so I gave it back just to see what he'd do. He just keeps asking for his dime still.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Oh! The woman in the office next to us in the Seattle Indies Space had been working on this. So it was a Ron Gilbert game, that's cool

I only just finished Act 2, but does that
sewer layout that Ray was trapped in
seem very very familiar to anyone else? I'm getting heavy vibes that
this game is going to tie into the ending of Monkey Island 2.

low-G

they reference all the old games, maniac, zak, monkey island, etc. some of the puzzles/items/locations are basically copy/pastes. you also need to play the old games just to get 50% of the jokes.
also, not a fan of the sierra shade, pixelhunting for dust would've been enough, no need for the "we're better than sierra!"-trashtalk.

I dunno, Monkey Island 1 had a hint line pixel as well. Assumed it was about the whole genre.

Corpekata

Banned
I do gotta say some of the self referential stuff is a bit over the top and not particularly even amusing. Was fine until Dolores was introduced (who is a great character besides that attribute).

Really enjoying it otherwise. I really like the flashbacks, nice little self contained and short puzzles/stories is a nice break from my ever expanding inventory of items I have no clue the relevance of.

Schaulustiger

Neo Member
It's kinda weird, I found the guy's dime, and he asked for it so I gave it back just to see what he'd do. He just keeps asking for his dime still.
Found that weird, too, but he instantly loses it again.
Since you need that dime for a puzzle, he has to give you a clue that it's obtainable again.

Conezays

Found the opening 20 minutes a bit rough but enjoying it more now. Spoilery question within the first 1.5 hours:

Is it fine if one of my characters gets knocked out and I'm unable to use them (for now)? I assume they aren't gone permanently, but just interested in case I want to reload an earlier save and avoid what I did, etc.

Shinjica

Found the opening 20 minutes a bit rough but enjoying it more now. Spoilery question within the first 1.5 hours:

Is it fine if one of my characters gets knocked out and I'm unable to use them (for now)? I assume they aren't gone permanently, but just interested in case I want to reload an earlier save and avoid what I did, etc.

go with the other detective in the same place and you can switch again

ymgve

Damn, stuck again. I got past the fence at the factory, but
now I need to move a car. I can see the outline of what I need to do - get a wrench from the Pigeon Sisters, then recharge the battery, but every time the Sisters are called by the hotel manager they say they are busy, and I haven't seen anywhere I can charge a battery.

Morzak

I only played for a short time. The first flashback seems nice but until there all the characters outside the playable felt really forced and the 4th wall breaking didn't work that well imo.

Lets see I hope the game picks it up from here, the atmosphere is nice.

Zemm

Damn, stuck again. I got past the fence at the factory, but
now I need to move a car. I can see the outline of what I need to do - get a wrench from the Pigeon Sisters, then recharge the battery, but every time the Sisters are called by the hotel manager they say they are busy, and I haven't seen anywhere I can charge a battery.

To recharge the battery you need an item from Delores room that can hold stuff, then once full you need to visit the trail area.

The pigeon brothers only come out for paranormal activity

Shinjica

I'm stuck myself now

I need to take the tape from the post office. Need to call the lawyer, dont know the enigma on the radio and how to navigate the forest passage

BluWacky

I'm stuck myself now

I need to take the tape from the post office. Need to call the lawyer, dont know the enigma on the radio and how to navigate the forest passage

I can only help with one of these:

The post office worker loves government officials.

No idea with the other two, and sleeping on the bits where I am stuck hasn't helped me at all :(

Comandr

I have a couple tips for anyone who might need some help. A couple things that really stumped me for a long time.

To get the last page of the joke book...

Push the trampoline all the way to the left, then using Delores as your spotter, climb the left stairs and USE the trampoline. When you get close to the page, you have to click on it.

To navigate the spooky forest trail...

You can PICK UP a disembodied head from the occult shop. When it's in your inventory, it will spin and point to the correct path. Bear Repellent may or may not be necessary for this. You can PICK UP some at the convenience store.

To get Thimbleberry Pie...

You'll need to talk to Ricki Lee at the old bakery, after finding out you need pie. Ask her about making you one and she'll eventually give you her gloves. Now just go to the spooky forest trail and wander around. You'll eventually end up at the Thimbleberry bush.

Now if anyone can tell me how I can get my hands on a wrench of some sort.. that'd be great. :)

mattiewheels

I feel like I'm really missing something here, but I'm stuck in the beginning of the hotel flashback, and all I can figure out is that one of the floors has more interactivity than the others but that's about it...

Comandr

I feel like I'm really missing something here, but I'm stuck in the beginning of the hotel flashback, and all I can figure out is that one of the floors has more interactivity than the others but that's about it...

You'll need a disguise, some gum, a piece of paper, and a photo. Two of them you can find in the lobby, and the other two you can get on the 10th (?) floor?

Shinjica

I have a couple tips for anyone who might need some help. A couple things that really stumped me for a long time.

To get the last page of the joke book...

Push the trampoline all the way to the left, then using Delores as your spotter, climb the left stairs and USE the trampoline. When you get close to the page, you have to click on it.

To navigate the spooky forest trail...

You can PICK UP a disembodied head from the occult shop. When it's in your inventory, it will spin and point to the correct path. Bear Repellent may or may not be necessary for this. You can PICK UP some at the convenience store.

To get Thimbleberry Pie...

You'll need to talk to Ricki Lee at the old bakery, after finding out you need pie. Ask her about making you one and she'll eventually give you her gloves. Now just go to the spooky forest trail and wander around. You'll eventually end up at the Thimbleberry bush.

Now if anyone can tell me how I can get my hands on a wrench of some sort.. that'd be great. :)

Thanks for the info

When
i discover i need a pie?

BluWacky

The Pigeon Brothers sisters have one, but they only come out for supernatural phenomena.

You'll need to cause one, which immediately limits your options.

To get you started - what's the Hotel Manager looking at on his computer screen?

My brother bought this, is it true that there are no keyboard short-cuts for commands?

kinda sucks if so

Dunno where you heard that from, but it's not true

QWE
ASD
ZXC

will bring up the nine verbs in their spatial order (IE Q is the top left verb and C is the bottom right verb).

And as always, full stop skips dialog. There's also O for options, 1/2/3/4/5 to switch characters, Esc to skip cutscenes, ctrl s for save, ctrl l for load and ctrl q for quit.

Seem to have gotten a bug already. Ray and Reyes notebooks are switched for me, so I have to change to Ray to read Reyes objectives, and vice versa.

Top Bottom