• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2017 RPG Discussion Thread

Mephala

I come back to these boards and then one day later Grimoire is released? Coincidence? I think not.

Welcome back! Does that mean you're going to update the OP with all the new goodies so lazy people like me can gaze longingly at a nice list of games I won't have time to play?

Labadal

Welcome back! Does that mean you're going to update the OP with all the new goodies so lazy people like me can gaze longingly at a nice list of games I won't have time to play?
Yes. I'm slowly catching up to all releases and I will add games that I never listed.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Searched the thread but no one has mentioned this game yet, "Tower of Time".

Came across it when I saw this article today by RPS and it's a good read.

I am excited to play the game when it comes out of early access later this year or early next year, I personally don't like playing RPGs while still in development.

Here's the Steam page. http://store.steampowered.com/app/617480/Tower_of_Time/

This looks fascinating. I might take the dive. Thanks for posting.

Labadal

I've done several medium updates. I think the thread is mostly up to date, but I am certain I have missed some games. I don't mind getting some pointers in the right direction.

I have a question. There are several smaller games that always get announced or get updates. Making threads about them is usually pointless as they generate 5-50 posts. I am thinking of posting such updates here and generate some discussion. It's a thought.

Unfortunately, I had to remove descriptions form games and I have removed the expansions section. I need to be realistic and keep it to full games only.

Mephala

I've done several medium updates. I think the thread is mostly up to date, but I am certain I have missed some games. I don't mind getting some pointers in the right direction.

I have a question. There are several smaller games that always get announced or get updates. Making threads about them is usually pointless as they generate 5-50 posts. I am thinking of posting such updates here and generate some discussion. It's a thought.

Unfortunately, I had to remove descriptions form games and I have removed the expansions section. I need to be realistic and keep it to full games only.

I sure as hell don't have the time to play all these games but I'd love some little updates as I do enjoy keeping tabs on news of games that I enjoy.

You could maybe have descriptions in links to user posts if we offer them? I dunno but I think it makes the OP a bit more meaningful. Otherwise the durante spreadsheet approach was neat. I just don't like how looking at it now feels a bit like scrolling through the Steam page.

Thanks for the updates though. It looks like a lot of work.

Also, the pic for Nioh is really uninspiring lol.

Labadal

I could do the descriptions myself. I also had made some descriptions and even used other descriptions written by other members. Unfortunately, my enemy Character Limit is rearing its ugly head. I'll come up with something.

SaylorMan

Is anyone here excited for Elex?

Looks rough, and the setting doesn't appeal to me but I've heard a few people say the dev team makes great RPGs. I've heard bad things about the risen series and then really good things about the Gothic series. Why do their modern RPGs look older than a decade? Whats holding them down?

Thoughts?

Labadal

Looks rough, and the setting doesn't appeal to me but I've heard a few people say the dev team makes great RPGs. I've heard bad things about the risen series and then really good things about the Gothic series. Why do their modern RPGs look older than a decade? Whats holding them down?

Thoughts?
I enjoyed Gothic 1-3. The same goes for Risen. I didn't enjoy Risen 2 as much as their previous games but still finished it. I own but have not yet played Risen 3.

I hope the game turns out good, but most of the people who worked on their best games are long gone. Let's hope they can deliver something that is fun.

Ascheroth

Wow, I didn't even know this threads exists, but this is super helpful and relevant to my interests :D

2 games I haven't seen: Ys SEVEN (PC) coming on August 30th (store page)
Zwei II (PC) has also been announced for 'Summer 2017', but there's no concrete information or store page yet, to my knowledge

Mephala

I could do the descriptions myself. I also had made some descriptions and even used other descriptions written by other members. Unfortunately, my enemy Character Limit is rearing its ugly head. I'll come up with something.

Hmm, yeah I figured this was the reasoning which is why I suggested linking to another post which has the descriptions. You could probably ask a mod to move a post into 2nd/3rd/4th positions as place holders maybe.

Also, I'm going to suggest adding Rakuen to the list. It is made in RPGmaker but has no combat or leveling up. You generally have a single companion in your journey. It is mostly story, puzzles, explorations and quests.
xhe2CJF.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Thoughts?

I'm hoping it's a return to form for Piranha Bytes after the crappy Risen 2 and 3.

Thores

Mario + Rabbids is currently absent, and I feel like that counts.

Great update, though! Includes a lot of stuff that slipped past my radar.

Sinatar

giphy.gif

A real time dungeon crawler/blobber with a steampunk setting, looks pretty rad. Comes out in 2 weeks.

giphy.gif

Isometric RPG with phase based combat, takes place in an alternate history New York in 1911 where much of the world has flooded and fresh water is in short supply. Also looks pretty rad, comes out in 3 weeks.

2 out of nowhere games coming out in short order. With Divinity OS 2 and Ys VIII coming out shortly as well we are suddenly in a glut of promising RPG's.

Mephala

Phase based? Is that like your party acts then enemy party, then back to your party etc or am I confusing it with something else?

Sinatar

Phase based? Is that like your party acts then enemy party, then back to your party etc or am I confusing it with something else?

You plan out your turn, your enemies plan there turn simultaneously, then the game goes live, everyone acts in real time until the actions are done, then it pauses and you plan your next actions.

If you've played Frozen Synapse it's like that.

StereoVsn

Empyre looks quite interesting. Put that in my wishlist. However I don't know when I would get to it considering Divinity 2, Ys and NBA 2K18 which I treat as an action RPG.

Separately, the expansion pack for Tyranny came out it looks like. Anyone play thrlugh that? I was waiting for the Ex pack to come out before deciding if I want to buy the game or not. It's about $40 with the expansion and that other story DLC.

bati

Is this still the thread to ask questions about rpgs that don't have their OT?

Anyway, I started playing Expeditions: Viking yesterday and I'd just like to know if I'm going to shoot myself in the foot by not getting Sense or Perception very high? I'm about to restart but my last character had 10 str, 8 end, 1 per, 1 fin, 9 sense, with focus on axes, shields and some diplomacy. I'm going to restart with 10 str, 10 end, 1 per, 1 fin and 7 fin with same skills.

Also, I really have to praise the devs for writing - again. Conquistador was already outstanding in this regard and Viking looks like it continues the tradition.

edit: OMG I just discovered that you can turn off lethal attacks and it actually has impact on how the events unfold. Now I'm really impressed.

Labadal

Is this still the thread to ask questions about rpgs that don't have their OT?

Anyway, I started playing Expeditions: Viking yesterday and I'd just like to know if I'm going to shoot myself in the foot by not getting Sense or Perception very high? I'm about to restart but my last character had 10 str, 8 end, 1 per, 1 fin, 9 sense, with focus on axes, shields and some diplomacy. I'm going to restart with 10 str, 10 end, 1 per, 1 fin and 7 fin with same skills.

Also, I really have to praise the devs for writing - again. Conquistador was already outstanding in this regard and Viking looks like it continues the tradition.

edit: OMG I just discovered that you can turn off lethal attacks and it actually has impact on how the events unfold. Now I'm really impressed.
In the beta, I played as a brute, with all points invested in physical attributes. It works. You can pretty much build your character as you want.

bati

Another quick question about Viking - do I need to outfit everyone in my expedition or only the people I actively use in combat? Iirc Conquistador had some surprises where active combat participants got shuffled in some cases but it also handled loot differently than this game.

I'm spending a ton of hides on good armor and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to outfit everyone and I'd really like to avoid any unpleasant surprises related to this.

Mephala

Another quick question about Viking - do I need to outfit everyone in my expedition or only the people I actively use in combat? Iirc Conquistador had some surprises where active combat participants got shuffled in some cases but it also handled loot differently than this game.

I'm spending a ton of hides on good armor and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to outfit everyone and I'd really like to avoid any unpleasant surprises related to this.

But unpleasant surprises were half the fun in Conquistador! I loved those ambush missions where I had a single warrior fighting off thieves and 3 scrubs flailing sticks trying to help but not really as they are actively trying to not die as well. Reading your questions just reminds me I really should get to playing Vikings.

Only the people you use in combat I think. Expeditions Viking is also a lot more forgiving on resource management, even to the point where I dare to say it doesn't really matter. It's much more a traditional cRPG.

bati

True, I also don't think I've ran into any situations where a member of my hird could die
(there was one quest that involved sacrifice though)
- from what I remember there were plenty of those in Conquistador. I'm not sure if deteriorating injuries can lead to death or other bad consequences because I never let it get to that point.

Sinatar

Another interesting looking blobber coming out "Winter 2017".

giphy.gif

Set in feudal Japan and features Bloodwych style party splitting which is pretty interesting.

Mephala

You really should, it's a fantastic game and I'm surprised it's not talked about more.

Against my better judgement I bought it (Expeditions: Vikings) during the GOG sale. What the shit, I'm hooked already. There is something stupid about a bunch of characters sitting around and you not knowing who are allies and who is out for your blood then given some dialogue trees and choices. Shiiiit

Labadal

Exentryk: I will update the OP at the end of the month.

Mephala: You should buy the first game, too.

I've got a question: Are people interested in a 2018 thread? I feel that there might not be big enough interest to warrant a thread next year. Opinions?

Exentryk

I've got a question: Are people interested in a 2018 thread? I feel that there might not be big enough interest to warrant a thread next year. Opinions?

I like the idea of having all yearly RPGs in one thread. I especially appreciate the text mentioning the types and systems of each RPG for readers' convenience.

I'd love to see this continue for 2018 as well.

Given all manner of crazy things are likely to land in the remainder of this year, odds are next year is primed to be even crazier still to continue this fine and maddening trend as the genre surges with vigor~

Sinatar

I think a 2018 thread would be valuable as I can't think of any RPG's coming out next year other then like Bard's Tale 4.

Is POE2 next year?

Dabi

Given all manner of crazy things are likely to land in the remainder of this year, odds are next year is primed to be even crazier still to continue this fine and maddening trend as the genre surges with vigor~

DQ XI, Ni no Kuni II and KH3... JRPG onslaught continues.

Mephala

Mephala: You should buy the first game, too.

I loved Conquistadors if that's what you're referring to.

2018 thread would be great!

Arulan

Although I already view it as such, I think the thread for next year should emphasize not only discussion on the RPGs of the year, but also being a general place of discussion for RPG GAF.

Exentryk

Most of the discussion for the individual games after release happens in the respective OTs. So this thread does not end up getting used much for discussion.

Labadal

I have a list of 2018 (and later) list at the end of my second post. Still missing stuff, but it will be a good refrence to use.

Sinatar

Just put 5 hours into Vaporum. It's very very good, if you're into real time dungeon crawlers ala Grimrock/Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master then it's definitely something you should look into.

Exentryk

Oh I found this game called Goken. Looks pretty cute and colourful. Bonus points for Linux support. Might buy to support the dev.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/671260/GOKEN/

It was apparently in early access a while ago and reviews seem mostly positive so far. It even has stamina management (like in Dark Souls/Nioh/Monster Hunter)

It actually looks pretty decent. Art is nice, and the animations seem nice too. Not a fan of top down ARPG systems (would have preferred turn-based), but I might pick it up anyway.

Mephala

It actually looks pretty decent. Art is nice, and the animations seem nice too. Not a fan of top down ARPG systems (would have preferred turn-based), but I might pick it up anyway.

I've got mixed feelings for top down action RPGs. Games like Diablo and Path of Exile aren't really something I look for. I enjoy them for a while but I can never get into it as much as others. One of the reviews casually commented that the combat was a bit "Ys-like" which made me cave and buy the thing. I'll post impressions when I get around to playing it.

Exentryk

I've got mixed feelings for top down action RPGs. Games like Diablo and Path of Exile aren't really something I look for. I enjoy them for a while but I can never get into it as much as others. One of the reviews casually commented that the combat was a bit "Ys-like" which made me cave and buy the thing. I'll post impressions when I get around to playing it.

The thing is I bought YS Seven (first ever YS game) recently and didn't enjoy the combat at all because it was too mashy. This one seems to be a little slower where each hit has more importance, so it might be a little better for me.
About other games like Diablo, etc., yeah I don't play them at all. But regardless, gonna be busy with games until March or so with Battle Chasers, Assassin's Creed, Xenoblade 2, Ni no Kuni 2, and Lost Sphear. Gonna be hard to find time for Goken.

Sinatar

Well I finished Vaporum, it gets the official old man Sinatar CRPG seal of approval. Definitely worth the $20 if you're into dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or the Grimrock games.

Arulan

Well I finished Vaporum, it gets the official old man Sinatar CRPG seal of approval. Definitely worth the $20 if you're into dungeon crawlers like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder or the Grimrock games.

How is the puzzle design? Is mapping important?

Top Bottom