• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: CW could go under soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
sorry if old.
source: http://www.tv.com/story/11306.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=news&tag=headlines;title;0

WSJ: CW could go under soon
By Tim Surette - TV.com
May 16, 2008 at 02:43:00 PM | more stories by this author

Business paper says Gossip Girl mothership could go dark if ratings dips continue.

The CW may come across just as spunky and full of life as any one of the stars of Gossip Girl, but things may be a bit different when peeking behind the curtain.

The network came to being when the UPN and WB joined forces a few years ago, and, according to The Wall Street Journal, the sum of the two parts may still not be enough to keep the CW afloat. The paper points out that more than a quarter of its targeted demographic--18- to 34-year-olds--have abandoned the network this season, and that 2008 so far has been the worst that the CW, UPN, or WB has ever seen in terms of average weekly viewers at roughly two and a half million.

Targeting the highly sought-after youth demo can be both a blessing and a curse. Advertisers will line up in droves to sell to 18- to 34-year-olds, but that same age group isn't always watching television shows on an actual television.

Many more people are watching Gossip Girl than Nielsen ratings indicate; the show is getting downloaded (both legally and illegally) and is watched online via CW's streaming video. The CW tried to combat this by trying a new tactic--it withheld video streams of poststrike Gossip Girl episodes, and the result seemed to defy logic--ratings didn't change much at all.

One would expect that if the CW wanted to survive, it would try to expand its viewer demographics. But as its new schedule indicates, it is actually narrowing its target audience. By dropping wrestling programs and adding the new 90210 and How to Survive the Filthy Rich, it's clear that the focus is almost exclusively on young women.

The Wall Street Journal cites one inside source who says if the CW doesn't turn around its slide soon, "at least one of the network's owners is likely to abandon the venture."

Can the CW be saved? Should it branch out into more diverse programming? Is the Internet killing the television business? Sound off below!

The only reason i care is about Reaper i think.

Gaborn

It was ok when it was UPN and had star trek reruns. Now as far as I'm concerned they can burn to the ground.

i can honestly say i've never watched ANYTHING on the CW. Negroes in Outer Space or whatever it was called was better than their entire current lineup.

Alphahawk

Hopefully it doesn't I love thier brand of drana, and it seems to be the only place outside of cable that it even stands a chance....

Alphahawk

In all seriousness we should all relax as one bad season doesn't necessarily mean that a networks going under, otherwise ION would be in serious trouble... (Yeah I went there)

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
The only show I would think about watching on the CW is Reaper. Both networks have been dead to me since Angel got canceled.

Alphahawk

Sir Fragula said:
What does it stand for? Cable and Wireless is the first google result I get.

It doesn't stand for anything, well technicly the name comes from the merging of CBS and Warner Brothers, but officially there is no meaning for it....

Suikoguy said:
Supernatural! :(
That's the only show on their network I'd miss. Smallville turned crap and deserved to be put out of it's misery two years ago, Reaper took too long to make me care, and everything else is only interesting if you're a 12 year old girl.

Still despite this, I hope they don't go under. Their position as a smaller network lets them take risks and try shows that would get dumped anywhere else. Can you imagine Fox sticking with Veronica Mars past the second episode?

Pein

Banned
I'd miss everybody hates chris and reaper I'd also miss aliens in america but the bastards canceled it earlier this week

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Pein said:
I'd miss everybody hates chris and reaper I'd also miss aliens in america but the bastards canceled it earlier this week

oh yeah i like chris as well, damn. hope if it goes down chris and reaper will go to another network :p

There was a time where I though Tom Swelling was so sexy.

So, how has Smallville been? I quit watching after Clark went to the phantom zone.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I love the hell out of Supernatural, but that show really does seem so...out of place...with the rest of CW's shit-tastic tweeny drama lineup.

Hopefully another network will pick up Supernatural if this turns out true.

Jasoco

Banned
I never watched a single show on the WB, and the only show I ever watched on UPN was Voyager. So I don't care if it disappears from the face of the earth.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bigmit3737 said:
So what would happen if it goes down?

Does another Network take it's place?

Probably not. CW was the combination of two smaller networks in order to compete with the big 4. Since it is failing there seems to be no niche for a 5th big network currently

Gig said:
Two pieces of crap merged together.

ad1bwn-1.jpg

Liuuuuuuu!

I wouldn't care if the CW went under just let some of the shows finish like Gossip Girl. I kind of want to see the new 90210 remake as well. Oh and bring back Veronica Mars. I recently watched this and was pretty impressed by how good it was.

I tried watching Gossip Girl, but it was a little too gay for me. It reminded me of The Hills, sorta. Did it get better?

Edit - So true about the Veronica Mars statement. So, so true.

Mau ®

Teenagers and young adults are no longer watching TV. Embrace the internet now before its too late.

Upload the stream at the same time as the live show. Offer download versions of the show (with ads already preloaded). There's a lot of advertising potential in there than they realize. Things dont have to go down because the TV is no longer the center of entertainment.

Blader

omg rite said:
You realize that that rubbish includes a couple fucking awesome shows, right?

This is a bad thing.

There is nothing on the CW that could be called "fucking awesome."

Solo

Mercury Fred said:
This is what they get for canceling Veronica Mars.

I disagree. Simply because a) VM wouldnt have gotten a full first, or a second, let alone a third season on ANY other network with those ratings, and b) the show was a shadow of its S1 self by the end anyways.

They should ditch the CW brand name and have it replaced with "Oh Snap".

Oh Snap, my favorite show is Supernatural. Heads gonna roll if they drop it.

Novid

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I have to LAUGH at this.

Because now that smackdown is GONE from the network, the CW is set up for the bomb.

And its worse than you can believe, because 91210 is back. Not only back but with Tori Spelling!

So now wait, Kids WB ended YESTERDAY after 13 years and Spiderman still had better aggerate ratings than Gossip Girl or Top Model and YOURE giving Tyra a NEW Reality show. Then on top of this, Dawn Orstinoff OUTSORCES just like her pal Jeff Bewkes did with the Saturday Morning Block, the SUNDAY Night Block to a nobody indy (get this) Media Rights Controler (i.e. A TALENT AGENCY!):lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

And The WB didnt become famous just off their own work, it was Sony who produced Dawsons Creek, and 1/3 of most of Kids WB animated content for nine years. SO WHY THE HELL THEY DONT OWN THE NETWORK RIGHT ABOUT NOW? They would keep the cost down and have studios in the states, have well respected tv series on its back...

Oh right, the FCC and the "Outsider" rule... Bah- Sony wouldnt even own the thing, you would have the blu-ray cabal take it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom