• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
They should have timed the echo and then say the same thing again and again at exactly the same time!!

Or maybe not!!

ACE 1991

31:57 of the mag quick look Jeff got 'naded by someone with a GAF clantag. I couldn't make out who it was though :lol

Sorry if this has been posted.

Jeff wasn't having much luck in MAG, was he?

Not the type of game for me. I didn't think it was, which is why I didn't bother with the demo, and this QL confirms it. Doesn't look very exciting.

Danne-Danger said:
Jeff is teeeeeeeeeeeerrible at MAG and that's a horrible way to show the game.

Can't help but laugh at this, given Ryan and Jeff's mockery of such comments in the very video you're talking about.

Seriously though what is your point? How would having a higher kill/death ratio been a better representation of what the game actually is? Or, am I misunderstanding and there are major components of the game mechanics / environments / whatever that he forgot to talk about?

DrPirate

Banned
BarrenMind said:
Can't help but laugh at this, given Ryan and Jeff's mockery of such comments in the very video you're talking about.

Seriously though what is your point? How would having a higher kill/death ratio been a better representation of what the game actually is? Or, am I misunderstanding and there are major components of the game mechanics / environments / whatever that he forgot to talk about?

Agreed.

I thought their quick look was good. It showed the game off pretty accurately, and they won the map. It was pretty good. It's a slower paced type of shooter. They compared it to Battlefield, and I think that is a sound comparison.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I certainly don't think it has been misrepresented.

But was what shown isn't all there is to MAG, which is probably why it's a multi-part quick look. For an accurate overview you still need to include vehicles and 256 battles.
(I don't think they need to, because they can do those "quick" looks as long as they like. Just for completeness sake.)

I personally might buy MAG in a month or so, depending on what the player base is at that point... But I can only say that the 64 people fight or what Jeff showed was my least favorite part of the beta. 256 matches was where I had the most fun.

jett

D-Member
The presentation and production values of MAG are unbelievably archaic. From the graphics, to the art design, to the HUD, the GUI...and please tell me the generic buttrock was added by the GiantBomb people. :p To me this game doesn't even seem remotely appealing.

BarrenMind said:

Watching a guy bleed out for 36 minutes isn't really doing the game any favors, though I guess that's what a lot of people seem to doing most of the time judging by this and that PA comic. People want a game that's fun, and the way Jeff plays doesn't make it seem very fun, if you catch my drift. Time and time again he runs into rooms getting shot from every direction by people he can’t see, leading to more downtime while they both spew out uneducated comments about the gameplay and underlying systems (which isn't really their fault since the game is bad at telling you this stuff, or at least was, in the beta). That's not what I'd call a good quick look but hey, different strokes, right?

It's good that they're doing another one though, hopefully Jeff will have put some more time in before the next one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
The presentation and production values of MAG are unbelievably archaic. From the graphics, to the art design, to the HUD, the GUI...and please tell me the generic buttrock was added by the GiantBomb people. :p To me this game doesn't even seem remotely appealing.
yeah, what's up with that.

Hugbot

Danne-Danger said:
Watching a guy bleed out for 36 minutes isn't really doing the game any favors, though I guess that's what a lot of people seem to doing most of the time judging by this and that PA comic. People want a game that's fun, and the way Jeff plays doesn't make it seem very fun, if you catch my drift. Time and time again he runs into rooms getting shot from every direction by people he can’t see, leading to more downtime while they both spew out uneducated comments about the gameplay and underlying systems (which isn't really their fault since the game is bad at telling you this stuff, or at least was, in the beta). That's not what I'd call a good quick look but hey, different strokes, right?

It's good that they're doing another one though, hopefully Jeff will have put some more time in before the next one.

I like that it's more close to his first experience with the game. If they go into a quicklook with a better understanding, it's less "what I'll experience when I boot up this game" and more "what I'll experience 5 hours after I boot up this game." I tend to look for small glimpses of systems I'd enjoy, or at least to get an idea of the foundation of a game to see if I'd be interested.

I'd also really like more advanced quicklooks in the middle/late stages of games, but that'd double the time needed to produce content and it isn't really worth it. If a game can't come off as having an enjoyable early experience, well, maybe the early experience with the game won't be enjoyable. I'd read a review if I wanted a late-game look.

Edit: Plus, most the FPS quicklooks involve a lot of mediocre/bad play. I've come to expect it, but sometimes it is a bit offputting.

obonicus

jett said:
The presentation and production values of MAG are unbelievably archaic. From the graphics, to the art design, to the HUD, the GUI...and please tell me the generic buttrock was added by the GiantBomb people. :p

What does this criticism mean? If it were more modern, how would it look? What's not archaic?

To me this game doesn't even seem remotely appealing.

That's not altogether surprising.

dralla

you can heal yourself in MAG, no need to go to a ammo box, just use the first aid gun. he even switched to it a few times without using it :lol he probably figured it out by now though. there's still a ton to see of MAG, the game is at its best in Acquisition. Sabotage removes all of the support objectives, chain of command, frag-o's, vehicles, ect.

Cday

Banned
MAG looks about as average as it gets. The closest comparison I can draw by watching that is with Frontlines: Fuel of War. Which was a bland Battlefield clone. Ramp up the player count and the only thing I can think of is how much more I would be getting shot in the back from people just spawning or hiding in corners.

Frawdder

The end of the Star Trek beta was awesome. Then the end of the stream was even better. :lol

Not that I had much interest in MAG to begin with, but watching the video makes it look really boring. I'm only watching it now for funny commentary.

Ten-Song

jett said:

Yeah, that stood out to me as unbelievably awful. The game itself looks pretty generic, too. The only thing that seemed remotely interesting was the player count, but I'm not seeing anything that makes it look like the player count is a good or bad thing. It just looks like a Battlefield wannabe game with a lot of Modern Warfare influence. Doesn't seem awful or anything, just looks very... meh.

webrunner

obonicus said:
What does this criticism mean? If it were more modern, how would it look? What's not archaic?

I think the idea is that it looks like a last-gen game or an early-this-gen game.

But that's to be expected almost: increasing the player count increases overhead a lot more than you would think.

No More Heroes 2 seems pretty awesome, haven't played the first one. Anyone know if the PAL version will be censored again?

panda21

its strange but i was absolutely addicted to MAG and playing the full 3 hours the servers where up every day, and yet that quicklook was really dull. hopefully acquisition will be more interesting.

plus theres no point even trying to snipe until you unlock the most powerful one.

I haven't played much more of MAG than a few hours in the first beta, but this QL showed me it hasn't changed all that much. It's a pretty average shooter. Capable I guess, but Bad Company 2 is going to make MAG moot when it comes out.

That MAG quicklook is like having a Burnout quicklook without realizing you can boost. They're technically playing the game but they're missing so much of it that there's really nothing to show.

obonicus

RomanticHeroX said:
That MAG quicklook is like having a Burnout quicklook without realizing you can boost. They're technically playing the game but they're missing so much of it that there's really nothing to show.

To be honest, to a lot of people the game will play a lot like that. The game really doesn't hold anyone's hand, for better or for worse.

p_p_o_d

Banned
RomanticHeroX said:
well clearly its only part 1 of there MAG quick looks.

Im sure they will suss out how to do some of the crazy stuff in future videos.

it could be worse.. could be brad playing

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Railer said:

2214r4.jpg

What's Freddie Mercury doing in the gym?

JaxJag

Banned
jett said:

The beta was so bad it completely turned me off to buying MAG.

JaxJag said:
The beta was so bad it completely turned me off to buying MAG.

I feel the same way. The game is so inaccessible. I could never figure out what was going on. The Quick Look confirmed that nothing has changed in the full game.

It doesn't help that the game looks generic as hell and the graphics are pretty weak.

Xater

FirstInHell said:
I feel the same way. The game is so inaccessible. I could never figure out what was going on. The Quick Look confirmed that nothing has changed in the full game.

It doesn't help that the game looks generic as hell and the graphics are pretty weak.

I totall agree. The game is a huge bummer. Maybe Zipper should have stuck with SOCOM?

NMH2 looks great. Personally I hated evrything about the first game that was not the ranking missions. Couldn't even finish the game because of that. Looks like they pretty much threw out all the stuff that was shit and finally made a good game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
holy shit No More Heroes looks completely fucking insane. And awesome. Not too happy about Ryan's misogyny comment, can anyone elaborate a little? I caught the "hoes" part, but that hardly seems strong enough to garner such a comment. Is it just endemic in how female characters are portrayed or are there specific situations that can be pointed out? Didn't play the first one, although I forced my brother to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom