• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

RomanticHeroX said:
That MAG quicklook is like having a Burnout quicklook without realizing you can boost. They're technically playing the game but they're missing so much of it that there's really nothing to show.

I think issues like this are extremely important ,and you can't get this kind of feeling from anything other than live playing.

Combining a game where
a) The actual way to play isn't obvious
b) The game doesn't tell you the way to play
c) A kind of design that attracts the kind of people who would insult others for not knowing how to play before the game is even out

Just seems like they've really screwed up here.

Why buy a game if your first.. 2? 4? 10? hours of play are going to be awful?

Brobzoid said:
can anyone elaborate a little?
24v8p3s.gif

HO TOSSIN'!!!! Right after this Travis cuts them up with his Beam Katana.

Tamanon

Banned
I gotta say, the new MAG definitely shows the game in a better light, with more variety, plus Jeff is at least a little bit better.:lol

Well, except for the ending.

obonicus

webrunner said:
I
a) The actual way to play isn't obvious
b) The game doesn't tell you the way to play

These two are very valid. At the least Zipper should have offered build help. They give some suggestions about taking the medkit, but I think they should hang a big red sign on it.

c) A kind of design that attracts the kind of people who would insult others for not knowing how to play before the game is even out

This is internet douchery. There's no way to avoid it. If you play Yahoo Games! Go you'll meet douches.

Just seems like they've really screwed up here.

Depends on what you mean. They could have offered more tutorials to help people learn, but a steep learning curve is not in itself a bad thing for those who are willing to invest the time. It just raises the bar. If they had hoped this would be their Halo (which I doubt) then they screwed up. If they wanted a game that a small segment of the userbase will play a lot, like SOCOM, I think they're on the right path.

Why buy a game if your first.. 2? 4? 10? hours of play are going to be awful?

This is very true. I personally favor giving people bonus xp at the very low levels, and making early (sub-level 5) respecs free, since it's so easy to screw up a build and the game doesn't really reward experimentation (instead, like most competitive games with skill trees we'll probably see cookie-cutter builds).

Cday said:
MAG looks about as average as it gets. The closest comparison I can draw by watching that is with Frontlines: Fuel of War. Which was a bland Battlefield clone. Ramp up the player count and the only thing I can think of is how much more I would be getting shot in the back from people just spawning or hiding in corners.
MAG is anything but a Battlefield clone. It has more in common with Enemy Territory/Quake Wars (spawn waves, focused objectives, linear progression etc.) than any game in the BF series.

And it's a much better game than Frontlines: Fuels of War. :D

The new QL is way better than the first by the way, all because of ol' Jeffery.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I actually got hyped as heck by watching the MAG quick look :D Going to buy it soon I think.

Hugbot

Yoshichan said:
I actually got hyped as heck by watching the MAG quick look :D Going to buy it soon I think.
I thought the game came off as really interesting. It was clear they hadn't played it too much, so I wasn't expecting him to be pulling off anything amazing, but the game flowed pretty well. If I didn't have a giant backlog I'd probably break down and buy it, as it stands I'll hold off for a few months and check back in on it.

You can't really understand why MAG is awesome until you played it for some time, unlocked some better gear and got some leadership experience. On the other hand, if these types of games don't click with you, additional play time won't exactly make your experience more enjoyable.

Sega1991 said:
I really wanted to like this game but Jeff's boredom with it came across and made me bored as a result.

Yeah, because Capcom Versus games are really boring, especially during high-level play.

Should have been called "Tatsunoko vs Capcom: New age of Boredom"

Right?

obonicus said:
Oh, no, I mean it's hilarious.
That it is! I do have to admit though that during the beta, I thought that it gave a small boost to the gameplay when you hit a streak and the music kicked in. It's like playing your very own fragmovie. :lol
Massa said:
I didn't like MAG but it's definitely not generic.
Gameplay-wise, absolutely not. Especially on consoles.

I'm assuming MAG looks the way it does (visually) because of the ridiculous player count. Really liked the 256 player battles - seems to give a sensation of a chaotic battlefield better than some of other games I've played.

Mayor Haggar said:
Yeah, because Capcom Versus games are really boring, especially during high-level play.

Right?

Whoa hey what's the deal with being Captain Defensive all of a sudden

It's not like I was talking dirty about your Mother, or something.

Chairhome

Mayor Haggar said:

Right?
People are not allowed to have a varying viewpoint or different tastes.

CONFIRMED.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Danne-Danger said:

Quite possibly the best way to end the MAG Thing. Jeff gets in as squad leader, admits he would have been a bad squad leader, and immediately has the wrath of Vinny brought down upon him and the wireless connection. Perfect.

Though, to be fair, it would have been really, really fun if anybody on the squad were insane and got angry at the bad leader.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The game has the exact problem I anticipated: No coordination at all.

If people would just stick together, they'd actually do some serious damage. But even on the fuller servers, I don't see that happening.

Not a fault of the game per se, but the confusing structure doesn't exactly help.

Counter-Strike really is the better game!

panda21

Sega1991 said:
Their new guy really needs to find his Quick Look legs. He's their Ryan Scott, currently. He's getting there, though! He's more talkative in this one than he was the last.

Not that I'd do any better, though. If it was me, I'd probably be just as quiet.

theres a new guy?!

also, not sure what you watched but that video got taken down pretty soon after i posted the link

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mkliner said:

:lol

Love when there's open disdain for a game. Two minutes in

"Well, the server is going down in two minutes so let's stop this Quick Look and try again later."

"Nah, I think we'll be good."

Can't wait to see how the remaining thirty minutes or so go.

edit: :lol :lol :lol Ryan's guess at the plot was great. After the quickening and the reshaping of the Earth, three PMCs are fighting for stem cells.

panda21

Archaix said:
:lol

Love when there's open disdain for a game. Two minutes in

"Well, the server is going down in two minutes so let's stop this Quick Look and try again later."

"Nah, I think we'll be good."

Can't wait to see how the remaining thirty minutes or so go.

edit: :lol :lol :lol Ryan's guess at the plot was great. After the quickening and the reshaping of the Earth, three PMCs are fighting for stem cells.

i think them talking about the fiction over the title screen has been the most entertaining thing about the game so far :lol

everyone has a global agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom