• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear: Survive is more fun than I expected

because shoehorn in a lost brother of Nathan and then make a story about them finding a treasure in the most cliche & boring way is amazing.
Because
shoehorning in a decoy Big Boss for a shitty “WE ARE ALL BIG BOSS” message is amazing?
Come on man, let’s be realistic - story was not the strong suit in MGS V.

Alienous

I feel like I could have fun with MGSV if all I did was collect flowers. That's how strong the mechanics are.

I have no doubt that MG Survive will have some fun to it, I'm just wondering longer it'll stay enjoyable.

ZeoVGM

Banned
because shoehorn in a lost brother and then make a story about them finding a treasure in the most cliche & boring way is amazing.

mgs5-quiet.jpg

So creative.

SomTervo

because shoehorn in a lost brother and then make a story about them finding a treasure in the most cliche & boring way is amazing.

MGSV is more creative and memorable, period, even if you don't love it. UC4 is just bland, it's the most ''safe'' UC game I've ever played, they don't even had the nerve to kill off Sam.

Where the hell did this come from. Quote the wrong person?

MGSV's plot was bad and people praise it's gameplay all day and it still sold well.

I think this will probably happen again. Well then again this is a multiplayer focus so maybe not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I love the idea that Sam not dying -- i.e. the obvious thing that everyone was expecting to happen -- was a negative.

The first thing my fiancee said to me after I beat Uncharted 4 was that she was surprised they didn't do that and glad because we both expected it (and he's a good character).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Was this a low key I hate uncharted dig. Cause it was so random

I think it was meant as a, "STUPID AMERICAN GAMES. MY JAPANESE GAMES ARE STILL GOOD, I PROMISE."

Yeah, MGSV had a trash and literally incomplete story. It was one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. And I simply don't care how good the gameplay is because the story was such an integral part of the MGS series prior to V.

Nvzman

Because
shoehorning in a decoy Big Boss for a shitty ”WE ARE ALL BIG BOSS" message is amazing?
Come on man, let's be realistic - story was not the strong suit in MGS V.
Out of all the things you could point out that's wrong with MGSV's story, you pick that one? If anything, there's nothing "shoehorned" about that at all, considering how many plot threads rely on that twist,
like Volgin going away once he realizes it's not Naked Snake he's been chasing after
, or
Liquid's DNA test coming up negative when compared to Venom
. That twist was not shoehorned in anyway, it was clearly meant to be there from the start. If anything, it clears up a major plot hole that
Big Boss dies in MG1, then somehow comes back for MG2
, and actually makes
Venom's fate
somewhat sad, seeing as how
he's pretty much more heroic than Big Boss ever was
. If you want to find an actual valid complaint,
Liquid taking the Metal Gear and fucking off with it, only to never be seen again
is definitely something to complain about. Granted we all know how incomplete the story is, but still, they should have found some quick way to explain what happened after.
So creative.
Quiet's plot through the game was far more memorable than any character arc I could think of in Uncharted 4. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted 4 had a much more fulfilling and complete story than anything MGSV had, but Quiet's arc was pretty good.
And her design is definitely creative (I'm more talking about her abilities and backstory if anything else, her physical design is just "unique", whether or not that's for all the wrong reasons is up to you though).

Ridley327

He also put that "zombie" sequence in MGS4 chapter 2

Screaming Mantis literally has zombies to help her out if you opt to kill the soldiers that she's controlling. Kojima is out of his damn mind if he thinks that zombies are too much for MGS, when they're already present and accounted for!

Kindekuma

Banned
I know Konami won't do it, but a public beta would be a really smart idea to draw people back in. I'm skeptical on Survive, and being able to try this for myself to see if it's worth supporting the future of MGS as a franchise would be real, real nice.

ZeoVGM

Banned
And her design is definitely creative (I'm more talking about her abilities and backstory if anything else, her physical design is just "unique", whether or not that's for all the wrong reasons is up to you though).

He created a woman wearing almost nothing because he wanted to have a woman wearing almost nothing in the game.

After that, he made up a "creative" backstory to try and have a reason for it.

He’s not wrong, man.
Aye.
Agreed 100%

MGSV still has a better story and universe than anything I played from the west, way more interesting than Uncharted 4 that's for sure.

The parasite is a genius idea.

Lololol. C'mon dude. You can argue about execution of the story, but the actual story itself was such trash, and I love the series. The twist itself was cheap.

As for Survive, I may pick it up cheaply for a laugh someday if, I can get friends in on it.

xviper

if it has the exact same gameplay of MGS V, then it's gonna be amazing, unless somehow they make it even more repetitive with no interesting cutscenes at all

if it has the exact same gameplay of MGS V, then it's gonna be amazing, unless somehow they make it even more repetitive with no interesting cutscenes at all

Survive does not play exactly the same way as MGSV. Check out the official gameplay presentation.

xviper

Survive does not play exactly the same way as MGSV. Check out the official gameplay presentation.

i just saw some clips of the gameplay, it controls exactly the same as MGO3, a bit slower than playing as Venom snake, and they replaced CQC with Melee attacks with weapons such as a spear or a blade, not a game breaker, still gonna play amazing like MGS V

but overall i don't enjoy tower defense games, even if it has the best gameplay ever made which is MGS V's, i'm still gonna give it a shot

is there going to be a SP ? missions and stuff like MGS V ?

normanski

Neo Member
Out of all the things you could point out that's wrong with MGSV's story, you pick that one? If anything, there's nothing "shoehorned" about that at all, considering how many plot threads rely on that twist,
like Volgin going away once he realizes it's not Naked Snake he's been chasing after
, or
Liquid's DNA test coming up negative when compared to Venom
. That twist was not shoehorned in anyway, it was clearly meant to be there from the start. If anything, it clears up a major plot hole that
Big Boss dies in MG1, then somehow comes back for MG2
, and actually makes
Venom's fate
somewhat sad, seeing as how
he's pretty much more heroic than Big Boss ever was
. If you want to find an actual valid complaint,
Liquid taking the Metal Gear and fucking off with it, only to never be seen again
is definitely something to complain about. Granted we all know how incomplete the story is, but still, they should have found some quick way to explain what happened after.

Quiet's plot through the game was far more memorable than any character arc I could think of in Uncharted 4. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted 4 had a much more fulfilling and complete story than anything MGSV had, but Quiet's arc was pretty good.

Liquid’s Fate is the only thread left dangling, and even though that’s sadly not cleared up in the actual game it’s resolved in the unfinished Chapter 3 content you can see in the collector’s edition disk (it’s on YouTube too), so I’m satisfied

The biggest plot hole that MGSV resolves isn’t MGS1, it’s
how Big Boss survives been killed twice in Metal Gear and Metal Gear: Solid Snake. Venom is the boss who gets killed in MG, and Boss survives been burnt to death by the parasites, exactly the same way that Quiet does in the hospital at the start of the game

i just saw some clips of the gameplay, it controls exactly the same as MGO3, a bit slower than playing as Venom snake, and they replaced CQC with Melee attacks with weapons such as a spear or a blade, not a game breaker, still gonna play amazing like MGS V

but overall i don't enjoy tower defense games, even if it has the best gameplay ever made which is MGS V's, i'm still gonna give it a shot

is there going to be a SP ? missions and stuff like MGS V ?

Yeah, Survive includes a single player campaign.

While Metal Gear Survive does have a single-player campaign, Konami isn’t ready to give many details on it, except that a wormhole opens in the sky, absorbing all MSF soldiers, transporting them to an alternate reality.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Why the terrible gif? The individual is correct.
I'm on record stating plenty of issues with Uncharted 4's story but the idea that MGSV's plot is good let alone competently written is laughable. It's misogynistic and worst of all boring garbage. Characters don't develop, the scene direction is terribly awkward with everyone seemingly waiting for their cues instead of having convos, it's straight up unfinished, the meta twist is horribly contrived, even stuff that people praise as good is only good in comparison to how bad the rest of it is. Like nah son.

It may turn out to be decent; as others have said, it'd be hard to screw up the base game mechanics and controls of MGSV. It's a near-perfect TPS on gameplay.

But buying it would mean supporting a company that treats its employees (and former employees) like shit, including harassment and outright attempts at blacklisting people. Kojima had difficulties in hiring former Konami employees because Konami attempted to blacklist them from getting healthcare insurance through the industry's association (which a Konami director is chairman of). They've also pressured other game studios to not hire ex-Konami employees, and forbid "ex-Kons" from using Konami on their resume (with legal threats).

I'm interested to see what they come up with, but I can't in good conscience give these people money.

MGSV has better storytelling than Uncharted 4?

Oh my god.

Honestly, I can easily see an argument there. Uncharted 4's abysmal pacing really made me dislike the story of UC4. The story of UC4 never ever really kicks off. The entire plot and game seriously moves at the speed of molasses. MGSV has issues, but I never lost interest in what was happening in the story. It managed to keep me interested from start to finish.

Honestly, I can easily see an argument there. Uncharted 4's abysmal pacing really made me dislike the story of UC4. The story of UC4 never ever really kicks off. The entire plot and game seriously moves at the speed of molasses. MGSV has issues, but I never lost interest in what was happening in the story. It managed to keep me interested from start to finish.

What story? Mujahadeen? Something something "make them pay"? Something something 'Skullface' something?

I think you are projecting your own story on what MGSV's plot is based on your familiarity with the MGS lore. Ask a less hardcore MGS player about MGSV and it is be nonsense. Also, if you want to talk about pacing, MGSV story literally was told through tapes.

The entire 'drama' of the fallout of Skullface vs Zero was literally told through tapes. That's your 'good' pacing right there.

The zombie comment by Kojima is a lot of semantics, but I think what it could mean is that in MGS V and such, while they may act like zombies or drones or whatever, but that they're not undead... I guess? MGS V's zombies aren't undead, and you can remove the parasites to turn the puppets into healthy recruits.

It's sort of an odd thing to say considering how crazy (especially pre-nanomachines sons) MGS can be, but it could be that Kojima just took especial exception with the notion of undead in general in MGS.

As for MG Survive, I'm still intrigued simply because V gameplay has especially satisfaction *snap, crackle, pop* to it, and smoking zombies with plastic bullet riot guns or shotgun headshots have a really great sense of visual and audio feedback. Same for CQC. That could especially be satisfying for 'zombie killing' combat.

What story? Mujahadeen? Something something "make them pay"? Something something 'Skullface' something?

I think you are projecting your own story on what MGSV's plot is based on your familiarity with the MGS lore. Ask a less hardcore MGS player about MGSV and it is be nonsense. Also, if you want to talk about pacing, MGSV story literally was told through tapes.

The entire 'drama' of the fallout of Skullface vs Zero was literally told through tapes. That's your 'good' pacing right there.

Whoa, lots of jumping to conclusions here.

Not sure what exactly your argument here is with the tapes = bad pacing. You're not forced to listen to the tapes and you can listen to them at anytime you desire, even when you're playing the actual game. The player has control over how and when they digest most of the game's story. I consider that far better pacing than forcing hours upon hours of slow climbing and walking like Uncharted 4 does.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The zombie comment by Kojima is a lot of semantics, but I think what it could mean is that in MGS V and such, while they may act like zombies or drones or whatever, but that they're not undead... I guess? MGS V's zombies aren't undead, and you can remove the parasites to turn the puppets into healthy recruits.

It's sort of an odd thing to say considering how crazy (especially pre-nanomachines sons) MGS can be, but it could be that Kojima just took especial exception with the notion of undead in general in MGS.

As for MG Survive, I'm still intrigued simply because V gameplay has especially satisfaction *snap, crackle, pop* to it, and smoking zombies with plastic bullet riot guns or shotgun headshots have a really great sense of visual and audio feedback. Same for CQC. That could especially be satisfying for 'zombie killing' combat.

I believe those were with dormant parasites. If you recall the second breakout, Venom Snake went on to kill the parasite soldiers in the quarantine facility because they were beyond saving.

Luqi

I feel like this is what The Division / the other Ubi game I forgot the name off would be in this engine / with more fun game mechanics.

I don't get why it has to use the Metal Gear IP tho.

Dremark

Banned
I'm assuming they're reusing the engine and gameplay from MGSV so there wasn't any doubt it'd play well. I'm not touching a post Kojima Metal Gear though, for those of you who bite, I hope you enjoy it.

Jumeira

Banned
Maybe they'll make a Battlegrounds mode post launch

If any game should copy PUBG it's this/MGSV

MGS5 mechanics + Battlegrounds mode, this thing would be untouchable.

Is much as i hate Konami id have a hard time overlooking the Battlegrounds MGS5 mode.

Jingo

i will buy it for sure, more metal gear its always great, if we were gonna risk all the companies who has bad rep, we probably would skip a lot of stuff we use in our daily basis.

Besides theres no way i would change Pes for fifa just cause konami this or konami that.

I respect the ones who do it, but i just love games.

img41tgs2017.jpg

The spin-off Metal Gear Survive rightfully has its skeptics. After series mastermind Hideo Kojimadeparted Konami in a messy separation, fans questioned if Metal Gear games would ever be the same. When Konami announced Metal Gear Survive, it was a surprise – a survival action game with zombies? Even Kojima commented on how he didn’t see how zombies fit within the series. I went into my hands-on session for Metal Gear Survive just as doubtful as any fan about the game being something I’d even want to play. While I don’t think Metal Gear Survive will be an earth-shattering experience for the series, I walked away having more fun than I expected.

More in the link

Eh?... What about that entire section in MGSV when your own guys get infected with the vocal chord parasite?

Sure, they're not zombies, but they're zombies... essentially.

(In the same way that TLOU, Left For Dead or Days Gone enemies aren't zombies, amirite?)

Top Bottom