• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Intel to stop sharing detailed turbo clocks per core starting with CL

Kayant

At least on the desktop I would assume if this is true.

Source - https://videocardz.com/72817/intel-coffelake-s-8th-gen-desktop-and-z370-controversy
Intel decided that starting from Coffeelake-S launch, they will not be releasing detailed information on turbo clock speeds per each core. As you know different frequency will be applied once more cores are in use. Basically, the more cores are in use, the lower the frequency.

Such an obvious thing to know, especially when you are a reviewer, but here’s what Intel said when they were asked for a table of clock speeds for Coffelake-S:
Intel said:
We won’t be sharing these details going forward at this point anymore.

If you think that’s strange, then let me add that Intel even refused to share die sizes of Coffeelake-S.

More stuff at link about their reasoning for Coffeelake-S been locked to 300 series which we know is partly BS.

pa22word

So does this mean they're just going to market it as "4.8GHz*" when it only reaches those speeds on threads 0 and 8 consistently--maybe even with the rest of the threads turned off--and we have to wait on reviews for the truth?

Lol if true.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Weird but I buy hardware based on real world benchmarks instead of PR spec sheets anyway.
What happens if the software you use is not traditionally used in reviews?

blu

Yeah I guess that could be bad. Sorry my statement was from a pure gaming perspective.
I understand that. In practice, though, the more information a buyer has about a product, the more informed a decision they can make re the value of a purchase. Specs don't substitute reviews and reviews don't substitute specs. We need both of those. Intel hiding one of those would only hamper buyer decision making. I hope it's all a great misunderstanding.

Bustanen

They know it's a turd. By the time Ice Lake rolls out it's time buy a new motherboard.. again.

You can keep your overpriced, overheating chips Intel.

blu

Won't people find out that stuff anyway once the products are out? What's the point in obfuscating this information?
The point is your production runs don't have to adhere to specs - ultimately you don't need to bin, as effectively everithing is "up to spec".

s_mirage

That just makes me suspicious that their manufacturing samples are underperforming. Hiding specs isn't a good way to make your product attractive, Intel.

BibiMaghoo

The point is your production runs don't have to adhere to specs - ultimately you don't need to bin, as effectively everithing is "up to spec".

Surely this can't be true though? My understanding is that binning the way they do allows them to tier what is essentially the same product, maximising their profits from the same run. This would prohibit that, and only allow one line at the same price from a run?

ISee

But people will find out through reviews. Or am missing something? What's the benefit in hiding them?

Kayant

But people will find out through reviews. Or am missing something? What's the benefit in hiding them?
Make reviewers lives unnecessary harder?? 😄
Well I guess also hide information from the typical user who wouldn't look at reviews.

Really it's silly along with the not revealing die sizes. I would guess they don't want to lose comparisons when it's not in their favour.

Pagusas

Elden Member
What a stupid choice from the marketing department. Reviewers are now going to be extra hard on them for this. You try to hide something, you just amplify it 100 fold.

It would work out so much better for them if they were just upfront about it... Intel's marketing department have gone extra bonkers as of late.

blu

Surely this can't be true though? My understanding is that binning the way they do allows them to tier what is essentially the same product, maximising their profits from the same run. This would prohibit that, and only allow one line at the same price from a run?
Binning is applied when you cannot produce a homogeneous product. When you can (be that by loosening the specs) then salvaging of sub-spec products becomes irrelevant - everything becomes 'top tier' then. Intel will still use binning for max clocks, but if they can open-end the low-end of the clock spectrum, they get plenty of headroom to match cores to their target TDP -- it's SMP workloads that push the TDP, not single cores at max clocks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Binning is applied when you cannot produce a homogeneous product. When you can (be that by loosening the specs) then salvaging of sub-spec products becomes irrelevant - everything becomes 'top tier' then. Intel will still use binning for max clocks, but if they can open-end the low-end of the clock spectrum, they get plenty of headroom to match cores to their target TDP -- it's SMP workloads that push the TDP, not single cores at max clocks.

There must be a limit though as you do not want i3 performing i7 cores...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get a grip Intel.

i'm seriously considering AMD as my next CPU now. Ryzen would be a downgrade for me right now but hopefully they have something new out by the time I want to upgrade. I was going to wait for Icelake but we'll see how it goes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Now I'm looking forward to see what AMD's been cooking up with Ryzen 2. Glad we finally got some decent competition in the CPU space. Could only mean good things for us consumers.

I wonder if 8700K will sell well with the rumored 8-core being planned next year. It seems there is a lot of negativity and anger directed at Nvidia now.

Hesemonni

Banned
Hopefully Zen 2 will bring the IPC increase to shake the stigma of lackluster gaming performance to actually keep AMD competetive and Intel shaking.
what?

AMD aren't even touching Nvidia like they are Intel.
I think he meant to write Intel since Nvidia is pretty much rolling in laughter with what Vega ended up being.

Between this and that stupid new $220 Core i3 "HEDT" chip, AMD 100% is in Intel's head.

Competition is a beautiful thing

AMD has always been in their heads (I've got some juicy stories I could tell from the early 2000s in particular). Or, rather, the existence of any credible competition is viewed from the top down with an extreme level of derision and paranoia that infects the overall culture at intel (which is bizarre to begin with) and exacerbates work environment issues.

Renekton

AMD has always been in their heads (I've got some juicy stories I could tell from the early 2000s in particular). Or, rather, the existence of any credible competition is viewed from the top down with an extreme level of derision and paranoia that infects the overall culture at intel (which is bizarre to begin with) and exacerbates work environment issues.
Well Andy Grove's whole book is about paranoia.

Goo

From an architectural stand point this might as well be skylake version three. Clocks can't go much higher considering what will happen to thermals and power consumption will go through the roof. Intel really got screwed because their node shrink is delayed by almost two years now.

Yeah, sure, keep consumers in the dark about what they're buying.

YmZc55l.gif

I don't know what Intel's thinking, but clearly the beating AMD's been giving them up to this point hasn't been enough.

EctoPrime

Six cores is quite a bit of power for Joe Public, they might not buy another machine for a decade. Pity Intel could never make a crippled version that will struggle to get above 2ghz with all cores running and flood retail with it.

dr_rus

Likely to be able to set different clocks on multicore turbo on the same model. So for example they can have a 6C CFL where one core is able to hit 4.7GHz and all cores are fine at 4.3GHz but there are differences in top clocks for 2C/4C turbos for the same 8700K model.

This seems like a rather weird thing to do anyway because the actual difference will be negligible in any case.

rrs

This seems like a move to a advertise 1 core only speeds just to confuse consumers, as if it wasn't confusing enough anyways

blu

How can I invest into professional 3rd party binners?
You want somebody to sift through a number of CFLs? ; ) ..Hey, that'd be a very lucrative business - 'Hand-picked cores tested in <insert your favourite benchmark> to SMT stably at <insert lucrative clock>! Limited supplies!'

There must be a limit though as you do not want i3 performing i7 cores...
There will surely be a practical lower limit to the viable clocks, but you won't have a case for complaining your CPU is a dud just because it clocks 100MHz lower at full SMP compared to another specimen. 'It's within specs!' ; )

I'd be paranoid as fuck if I were them. Imagine this teen flick scene: Intel manage to escape the competition and barricade themselves in the server room. Just to discover they're not alone in the server room..

gblues

Banned
Kinda sounds like they’re borrowing AMD’s Athlon marketing strategy (remember “3200+” chips that don’t actually run at 3.2ghz?)

Not a great look.

Top Bottom