• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

I really don't see a reason to ever use the gunfighter magnum unless you find yourself needing to reload the BR. The crazy recoil and crappy range isn't worth the benefits. If you are in GF range, you're probably better off going for the BR+melee.

I'm more likely to 4 shot someone with the boltshot than someone is to get a perfect on me with the GF. And even if they do, ill get a trade.

That perfect TTK is nuts, though.

IHaveIce

Banned
So outside of Halo, where's everyone getting their FPS fix as of late? Overwatch I've kinda exhausted, and I can't really play PUBG for hours on end. Thinking I may jump on Destiny 2 on PC, or Battlefront 2, but am naturally a bit skeptical.

Destiny 2 my bud. Or Overwatch.

Halo will not return I think, not giving a Halo 3 Anniversary or nothing of worth for the Anniversary is telling for 343.

BizzyBum

So outside of Halo, where's everyone getting their FPS fix as of late? Overwatch I've kinda exhausted, and I can't really play PUBG for hours on end. Thinking I may jump on Destiny 2 on PC, or Battlefront 2, but am naturally a bit skeptical.

I really don't play a lot of FPS outside of Halo 5. I played PUBG a bit and had a solo fpp win just to say I could and I kinda stopped playing. Tried out LawBreakers but couldn't seem to get into it.

I'll definitely be making the rounds this Fall though with Destiny 2 PC, WW2, and Battlefront 2.

sometimes PUBG [but can never play too long, such a time suck], sometimes a bit of TF2 or BF1.

honestly nothing hooks me like H5 though, it's got its teeth deep.

couldn't get into lawbreakers, or overwatch, but thinking of trying out rainbow six as it sounds good.

Juan

Maybe I understand? You're talking about a player feeling satisfied without relation to his skill compared to other players? I'm not sure that's that significant of a factor. It's a skill-based multiplayer game, you win based on skill, and your skill level can only be defined relative to other players. If you feel "good" at the game, you almost by definition have to feel better than someone else.

As I said, it’s not about feeling better than it is about not feeling that bad.

I would say it’s like when I was training with a bow when you are younger.

When you first aim and shoot at the target with your bow for the first time, you may miss it right away. Halo 5 BR is like this instructor that looks at you with bad feeling, say nothing and just leave. You feel pretty bad (and maybe depressed lol).

Where with spread, it’s more like that cool instructor who just put his hand on your shoulder and say « Don’t worry buddy, you sure may do better next time! ».

See, I’m not better in any case, but I don’t feel that bad with the second case, and it’s just give me the will to continue and have fun.

I hope my point is more clear now. Sure, you may still disagree, but just think about this from a very casual and not-so-competitive player. I agree you will feel worse at a high skill level because, as you said, it took out your skill and replace it with randomness (even if as I said, the spread isn’t that big and I’m sure it doesn’t really change a thing a close and mid-range since there is a lot of bullet-magnetism if your aim is good as well).

Halo-fan casuals aren't the ones that rely on the basic competitive nature of the game. You can't forge away stuff like BR spread, at least not yet. Adding in randomness to base weapon attributes hurts competitive players, and there are ways to make the game more casual friendly without doing that.

That’s actually kind of false, since most of the forged game types rely on the basic of Halo, aka shooting and aiming, so there is still a foundation based on the competitive nature of the game, if may be used for other purpose, but there is a relation, since, again, some forged-casual-gametype still rely on scoreboard and shooting your opponent to the death.

Playlists would be an obvious place to start. Add in AR Slayer, or unranked SWAT. I would personally like unranked team slayer.

If the basic of your game’s aim system and weapons isn’t fun or too stressing, having multiple playlist won’t really help you know. But sure, we could have more diversity regarding the playlists we got in Halo 5.

Again, the only thing I can really tell you is that I never liked Halo 5 since it launched, and I removed it from my Xbox 3/4 months after launch. I always thought the game has good ideas, but bad execution, and on top of that, the aim didn’t feel good, I didn’t liked the feeling I got with any weapons in this game.

Now that I get the opportunity to play the tuning test playlist, I really like Halo 5 and I play it almost everyday. The only thing that changed is the thing they put in the tuning playlist. If the spread makes the game feel less stressful for low/mid level players like me who just want to play a competitive game without having to be stressed and putting too much of themselves, then I like what they have come with, and that’s only my opinion, it doesn’t make it true of false, it just how I feel about a game I never enjoyed before and I do now almost everyday. :)

lawlz, no, please don't read / hear / interpret it that way, sorry! ;p

totally hear where you're coming from, it's quite binary the split between people who love "new halo" [ie - Halo 5] and "old halo" [ie - duh].

i'm 100% of the former camp, but can fully appreciate the [significant] amount of players who occupy the latter.

Ahah, no worries buddy, I just thought it was fun how I read it the first time. :p

I totally get people like the way Halo 5 changed the base Halo gameplay and added new things on top of this, so I’m sure there is a market for this kind of Halo game, and that’s actually pretty cool to see the Halo formula can evolve and give some people satisfaction.

I just really miss, and prefer, the simple formula used to have and offer, and just build on top of this new gameplay experience through narrative and level design.

I agree with you on the AI thing, the AI often just stand there and let themselves be shot, but in terms of "feel" this feels like im playing a new Halo. And no i wasnt talking about PvP, simply campaign. This to me is some sort of evolved Reach and ODST combined which is still more halo to me then what 343 had done so far with the campaigns. Just update the skins in D2 to brutes, flood and elites and i feel like im playing halo, only evolved. I think thats why im enjoying D2 a lot more than i have H4 or 5.

I totally agree on the feel for a quick glimpse. When I played Destiny, I felt it was as much relaxing as Bungie’s Halo, they kept that pacing and with this excellent shooting mechanic, this combine for a great experience.

D2’s campaign has some great moments, most of them taking place on specific missions maps like Homecoming or the Almighty. Problem is, the rest felt really boring to me. The vehicular gameplay in D2 is boring as hell, and when I saw we got a tank and used it, I just cried seeing how Bungie lost its touch with good vehicular encounter and game design.

Homecoming and the Almighty showed Bungie is still top notch when doing linear mission, they mastered everything from music to gameplay to level design to great scenery. But the rest was really flat to me, being the AI or the open space.

It’s not really Halo evolved as it is Halo altered to me.

But if you gave me the choice between Halo 5 and Destiny 2, I would certainly chose Destiny 2 since at least, the PvE in D2 is still good for some hours and the feeling is hopeful (but the PvP is boring as hell to me).

Definitely DOOM. Best FPS of this generation to me, and the multiplayer is really really good and solid. No other FPS this gen striked me the way DOOM did (and the MCC, for other reasons off). Overwatch was fun for a few hours, but after the free weekend, I felt the game didn’t have enough deep to keep me engaged the way Halo did for years.

Siege is really good, but I’m just playing it during the free weekend because I don’t like the game that much.

Battlefront 2… Well, I bought Battefront 1, I won’t say I was disappointed, it was good, but it wasn’t that good. It was just not a bad game, which is already a good thing. And I’m afraid Battlefront 2 will be the same thing without much improvement, so I won’t be there this time.

Bolt shot is so good against this tweaked BR. Even if you get 4-shotted, you'll still likely end up with a kill (from the grave).

If the BR user missed a shot or gets fucked by RNG, he's screwed.

I called it, the bolt shot is amazing in this new playlist, it’s simple, track easily the player and is as much as good as the tweaked BR since it’s easier than ever to make the opponent miss his shoots. Loving it so far, I used it every time I can get it on a map!

Funny thing, no one was using it before, and after a few games where I matched with the same people, they started taking it and using the bolt shot after seeing how many kills I was doing with this weapon lol.

Too bad the GF as that much recoil btw. I love this magnum, but the recoil is just pissing me off, really hard to counter (I mean, god, it’s not Destiny with crazy recoil!), but I still love using the GF magnum.

Oh hi everyone!

Juan

I think you're the first person I've seen call the multiplayer in DOOM good. lol

I thought it was pretty boring when I first played DOOM's multiplayer when the game launched, since most of the best weapons were hidden behind DLC and loadout. You could only play with rocket and shotgun, and it wasn't really fun.

But since Bestheda gave all the DLCs for free, it changed the game like never.

You got access to all the weapons, the best maps and new gametype. They even revamped the customization and progression system. DOOM's PvP is now a really different beast from what it was first, and the game is a ton a fun right now, I can't stop playing it.

And the armors gave me Halo-like feeling sometimes lol:

screenshot.png

Fuchsdh

I thought it was pretty boring when I first played DOOM's multiplayer when the game launched, since most of the best weapons were hidden behind DLC and loadout. You could only play with rocket and shotgun, and it wasn't really fun.

But since Bestheda gave all the DLCs for free, it changed the game like never.

You got access to all the weapons, the best maps and new gametype. They even revamped the customization and progression system. DOOM's PvP is now a really different beast from what it was first, and the game is a ton a fun right now, I can't stop playing it.

And the armors gave me Halo-like feeling sometimes lol:

screenshot.png

Why is his head so small

Juan

Why is his head so small

I actually never noticed it was small before lol.

I think it's more about the chest armor being really heavy. But I don't know, I just like human armors in DOOM 2016:

1506215204-doom-armors.png

Guys, you can even change the undersuit in DOOM! Isn't that just crazy good?

Phew, thanks for the replies. A lot to quote

Overwatch with the buds lol, Halo 5, TMCC are my main FPS. Then Gears 4 for well I'm feeling frisky and want to see meaty giblets everywhere.

I really don't play a lot of FPS outside of Halo 5. I played PUBG a bit and had a solo fpp win just to say I could and I kinda stopped playing. Tried out LawBreakers but couldn't seem to get into it.

I'll definitely be making the rounds this Fall though with Destiny 2 PC, WW2, and Battlefront 2.

sometimes PUBG [but can never play too long, such a time suck], sometimes a bit of TF2 or BF1.

honestly nothing hooks me like H5 though, it's got its teeth deep.

couldn't get into lawbreakers, or overwatch, but thinking of trying out rainbow six as it sounds good.

I wish I could have gotten more mileage out of Halo 5 and TMCC. Halo 5 I feel like I've exhausted, and TMCC seems utterly dead in Australia.

Sometimes, I wonder if Halo is the thing that drives my interest in video games, because generally when I'm not playing Halo I'm not really playing anything else, either.

Resonate very strongly with this. There's just no game that really scratches so many itches.

Rainbow 6 Siege is awesome!

Rainbow Six and PUBG. Rainbow 6 it's really really good imo

Surprised by all the Siege recommendations. I'm a bit apprehensive to jump in, do you reckon I could still enjoy it as a newcomer? The meta and community seem pretty unforgiving to beginners. Memorising the site-lines, and mechanics, makes for a pretty high skill-floor, and that seems exacerbated by the sweaty, competitive nature, and generally toxic community.

Definitely DOOM. Best FPS of this generation to me, and the multiplayer is really really good and solid. No other FPS this gen striked me the way DOOM did (and the MCC, for other reasons off). Overwatch was fun for a few hours, but after the free weekend, I felt the game didn't have enough deep to keep me engaged the way Halo did for years.

This is particularly surprising. What's the population count like on Xbone? I'm enjoying the campaign (playing through it atm) but was sorely disappointed with how Multiplayer played in the Beta. That said, playing through Doom Campaign makes me wish 343i would take a look at Doom's movement (and art) - high base speed, with crazy capacity for strafing, and clamber.

Ahah, no worries buddy, I just thought it was fun how I read it the first time. :p

I totally get people like the way Halo 5 changed the base Halo gameplay and added new things on top of this, so I’m sure there is a market for this kind of Halo game, and that’s actually pretty cool to see the Halo formula can evolve and give some people satisfaction.

I just really miss, and prefer, the simple formula used to have and offer, and just build on top of this new gameplay experience through narrative and level design.

whew!

yeah, i totally respect that.

if only TMCC worked flawlessly we wouldn't need to worry about classic Halo gameplay...

:/

Nowise10

Is it unreasonable for me to be annoyed that 343 and Microsoft literally are doing nothing for the 10th anniversary of the biggest/most influential Halo game. I never expected or even wanted a Halo 3 Anniversary, but I was expecting a Halo 3 themed map pack update for H5 or something smaller, I mean they got to do something for such an event.

But from what I see, all we are getting is the stream tomorrow where they play Halo 3 customs. Okay...

Finaj

I think it's just all hands-on-deck for the nest Halo installment, which I can't really blame them for. If a Halo 3 Anniversary or anniversary content would cause resources to be taken away from Halo 6, I'd rather them just ignore it entirely.

BizzyBum

Is it unreasonable for me to be annoyed that 343 and Microsoft literally are doing nothing for the 10th anniversary of the biggest/most influential Halo game. I never expected or even wanted a Halo 3 Anniversary, but I was expecting a Halo 3 themed map pack update for H5 or something smaller, I mean they got to do something for such an event.

But from what I see, all we are getting is the stream tomorrow where they play Halo 3 customs. Okay...

Just two things really, the BC of Halo 3 and a Halo 3 playlist in Halo 5 using Forge maps.

FyreWulff

Well.. they already burned the Halo 3 (and 4) card for this generation, in terms of marketing and budget. As neat as it would be, they already have a 60 FPS Halo 3 on the console. It's a hard sell to existing owners of the MCC to get them to rebuy Halo 3 again.

It is what it is. If they had just done 2A, I think a 3A would have been likely. Porting Halo 3 twice? Not happening.

Also to make everyone feel old, we're now closer to Halo 1's 20th anniversary than we are to Halo 1 's 10 year anniversary/CEA release.

Looking at the most played list, you have to think 343i is thinking about anything and everything to improve the population for Halo 6. Obviously the return of splitscreen is one, but they need to consider simplifying the game a bit. Getting rid of sprint and catering towards a more classic Halo would help. If they altered their art style to be more like Halo Wars 2/classic Halo they'd be cashing in on the nostalgia as well. There are plenty of avenues they need to take to get people back. While it may never see Halo 3 numbers again, they can do a lot better. A Halo 3 forge playlist and 4K update won't cut it. I enjoy Halo 5's gameplay quite a bit and we can all say how it's the best n the series in a while, but the population says a lot.

Surprised by all the Siege recommendations. I'm a bit apprehensive to jump in, do you reckon I could still enjoy it as a newcomer? The meta and community seem pretty unforgiving to beginners. Memorising the site-lines, and mechanics, makes for a pretty high skill-floor, and that seems exacerbated by the sweaty, competitive nature, and generally toxic community.

Yeah there's a bit of a learning curve but it really doesn't last long and once you get passed it the game is so satisfying and fun. I was kind of lucky to play with Elzar and goofs through my n00bie phase so I was able to pick up some tips pretty fast.

And yeah some players can be annoying but I never let it get to me. I'll get kicked from a game once in a while but honestly who cares lol

Hopefully Elzar will pop in here to give you some info and stuff. I've only been playing it for about 5 months so he knows a lot more about it than me.

Trup1aya

Looking at the most played list, you have to think 343i is thinking about anything and everything to improve the population for Halo 6. Obviously the return of splitscreen is one, but they need to consider simplifying the game a bit. Getting rid of sprint and catering towards a more classic Halo would help. If they altered their art style to be more like Halo Wars 2/classic Halo they'd be cashing in on the nostalgia as well. There are plenty of avenues they need to take to get people back. While it may never see Halo 3 numbers again, they can do a lot better. A Halo 3 forge playlist and 4K update won't cut it. I enjoy Halo 5's gameplay quite a bit and we can all say how it's the best n the series in a while, but the population says a lot.

The big takeaway for me is Rainbow 6- a franchise that crawled out of the abyss, not changing to 'fit in' but instead doubling down on what separates it from everything else.

Halo was most successful when it had its own niche. That's what allowed it to prosper despite the rise of COD and its clones. Getting back to a definitive niche experience is what it needs to carve out its place amongst the competition.

If anything working or atleast outsourcing more fixes to the MCC would have been great for Halo 3's 10th anniversary.

They really should fix the MCC, that game is innately timesless, it's literally a bunch of old games people still like bundled together. Why 343i thinks their fans will forget about it is beyond me.

jem0208

The MCC is somewhat playable now.

Partying up is still a pain but standard solo matchmaking works reasonably well in my experience.

The MCC is somewhat playable now.

Partying up is still a pain but standard solo matchmaking works reasonably well in my experience.
This is my experience as well. Still, is that good enough? Functional for solo players, long MM for parties, it should be fully functional.

Around the time Halo 4 came out I had the realization I'd probably have way more fun working on a shooter than buying them for $60 every year, so that.

Madness

I'm fine with just Halo 3 playlist and BC. Would rather them to keep focusing on H6.

Again, like Halo Wars 2. They can do other things without sacrificing the core Halo 6 team. This is MS man. Yoou're telling me they couldn't get Saber Intteractive, Certain Affinity, Bluepoint games and Blur together to do some H3A 4K/60fps campaign magic, utilise Halo 5 engine to remake 8-10 Halo 3 maps and bam, we have an Xbox One X launch title and game to tide us over until H6.

Ain't no one coming back to play Halo 5 forge...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Again, like Halo Wars 2. They can do other things without sacrificing the core Halo 6 team. This is MS man. Yoou're telling me they couldn't get Saber Intteractive, Certain Affinity, Bluepoint games and Blur together to do some H3A 4K/60fps campaign magic, utilise Halo 5 engine to remake 8-10 Halo 3 maps and bam, we have an Xbox One X launch title and game to tide us over until H6.

If they are going to invest that much I would rather them release Halo 5:ODST or a different side story game. I'm good with playing the campaign on MCC. That's enough nostalgia for me.

FyreWulff

As I said before. You're spending money to port Halo 3 or remake it again and resell a game a bunch of people already have or bought Halo 3 via MCC on the same console.

Outside of a PC port, I don't think we're seeing any Halo remade until a new console generation again, past the X. Solely based off business justification.

Although I do feel whatever remakes come forward from this point, -especially- if the Xbox consoles are all going to BC from now on, is to remake each Halo in the modern engine of the time.

As it is, I think if we're seeing an anniversary style release.. the next one will be Halo Reach. It's the only one without a remaster or port. Like, even Wars and the Spartan ____ have PC or HD One versions.

as an aside Reach is where it gets a bit weird because you'd be remaking Reach, which has a mode that remade Halo 1 maps, so you're remaking a game that catered towards remaking another game and now my brain is melting

Welfare

Why would 343 want to segment the Halo population even more? Halo 5 is getting all the attention until Halo 6. MCC is where you go for Halo 3.

I would've loved a content update for Halo 5 for the Halo 3 anniversary but it looks like there are no resources for that. All hands on Halo 6.

Trup1aya

Outside of the BR spread, the missing magnum, and the autos, I'm finding the Test playlist pretty fun.

The BR spread is the biggest offender. I can't stres enough how annoying it is to have a kill taken away that you've earned.

It also annoying empowers teamshot, making soloq pretty annoying (especially when I keep running into teams of 4)

Juan

This is particularly surprising. What's the population count like on Xbone? I'm enjoying the campaign (playing through it atm) but was sorely disappointed with how Multiplayer played in the Beta. That said, playing through Doom Campaign makes me wish 343i would take a look at Doom's movement (and art) - high base speed, with crazy capacity for strafing, and clamber.

I don't know how many players there is on DOOM, but I can tell there is enough to find games really quickly on both Team Slayer and the all game modes playlist.

The multiplayer is a very different beast from what it was before. So far I'm loving it, it's clear and simple, but I can understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

It also annoying empowers teamshot, making soloq pretty annoying (especially when I keep running into teams of 4)

I never had any issue as myself a solo player 90% of the time on Halo 5, or at least I didn't really feel the teamshot thing, but matching against a team of 4 as a solo is fucking annoying, I can't understand how this is even a thing.

I guess there is not enough players on Halo 5.

Btw, when are we getting details about the Halo 3 playlist? Like the settings, the maps, which BR will be used?

Trup1aya

I never had any issue as myself a solo player 90% of the time on Halo 5, or at least I didn't really feel the teamshot thing, but matching against a team of 4 as a solo is fucking annoying, I can't understand how this is even a thing.

I guess there is not enough players on Halo 5.

The team shooting thing isn't really a problem until you encounter coordinated groups. Its always been a "thing" since they got rid of the CE magnum.

basically, back in the day a single player could outplay multiple players by having superior aim and strafe. The power of the magnum was such that he could kill quickly, offsetting the fact that he's outnumbered. the difficulty of the weapon meant that he could more effectively get the opponents to miss shots.

The BR is much weaker and easier to use than the CE magnum. The weakness greatly reduces a single players ability to kill quickly. The easiness makes his strafe less evasive. The potential of the individual is neutered so, the meta shifted towards teamshotting- which offsets the weakness of the gun.

The random spread amplifies this effect because the individual's chance of finishing a kill decreases due to rng. the team gets to cancel out the rng via the sheer number of shots they can fire in the same time frame.

Patience. For the first 20 hours or so just soak it up, all thd deaths, mistakes etc and learn from every incident and better players.

If you have the patience you will do well.

Yeah there's a bit of a learning curve but it really doesn't last long and once you get passed it the game is so satisfying and fun. I was kind of lucky to play with Elzar and goofs through my n00bie phase so I was able to pick up some tips pretty fast.

And yeah some players can be annoying but I never let it get to me. I'll get kicked from a game once in a while but honestly who cares lol

Hopefully Elzar will pop in here to give you some info and stuff. I've only been playing it for about 5 months so he knows a lot more about it than me.

Wait a minute are you out of you n00bie phase yet? I cant tell.

Gottem

Top Bottom