• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Grief.exe

Did about 5 runs in my Anaconda and ended up in the top 50% of the CG, played around in my Vulture a bit running high res zones for the bounty CG.

Good night.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Ranked up to Squire! Hurrah!

Been doing passenger missions for Imperial contacts, it seems to be a better way of making money as I grind rep. Going to need dosh if I'm gonna have that Clipper (and eventually, Cutter)!

Ranked up to Squire! Hurrah!

Been doing passenger missions for Imperial contacts, it seems to be a better way of making money as I grind rep. Going to need dosh if I'm gonna have that Clipper (and eventually, Cutter)!

Read that as "Ranked up to Squirrel" and was rather confused for a bit.

Lore related livestream starting in a few minutes, related to Thargoid lore mostly I believe.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=QKOvDNhY40I

9NKlyne.gif

Burny

For all my misgivings about Frontier's game design, I'm pretty happy with how methodical they've progressed with (mostly technical) additions to the game, even though progress has been slow as "Horizons" has now been dragging on for a year more than what the vanilla "season" would've implied.

At release in 2014, the game was badly rushed. No Wings feature, the mission board was at more or less the level of a bad text adventure mission generator with only anonymous mission givers, about three basic station types with nearly no variation, lack of options to even fill the high tier weapon slots. Pilots were limited to a male and female model without personality, the game didn't have a single human face,
while the The E3 2014 trailer before release suggested more humanity, btw. Small fighter weren't playable in any form, planets inaccessible etc..

Besides expanding the variety of basic player toys (ships, limpets, weapons), they've slowly worked on the asset variety. Atmosphere-less planets with planetary settlements is only one addition, but it's the basis for breaking up the monotony of space with crash sites, relic sites and the likes. Station variety has improved with added interior variations, asteroid stations and the "mega ships", that are basically stations with thrusters, not to mention the unique engineer outposts and now thargoid structures. On the side, human faces were introduced. At first in mission boards, with persistent mission giver NPCs, but now also for player characters. As were partly scripted ingame sequences, while still only limited to the thargoid encounter iirc..

All in all, they have now a much better set of tools to expand the game and tell its story, as the 2.4 trailer shows. Human animation, especially facial, is a bit stiff, but this is a far cry from the "stiffness" of continuing to tell the story through text blobs released on their internet blog... Even though there are no space legs, yet, they can now theoretically show humans interacting with the game world in these sequences.

Now "all they have to do" to make Elite as good as ambitious, is offering actual depth in the player interaction with the environment and with each other than "SSS". Scanning, shooting and scooping. Aside from moving away from the endless drive from A to B grind, instead offering somewhat more structured X-Wing/Tie-Fighter like mission content, and dropping the pretentios notion that Elite is a sumulation that needs to make players wait for shitty transfer times and punish them by means of wasted time (loading screens, reduced payouts) for the audacity of playing together. If everything goes well, that'll be just another three or four years...

Volimar

Well this was interesting. I got a tip off and went to check it out and when leaving the planet and jumping to another system I was suddenly mass locked despite having plenty of altitude and then my ship was pulled right into the planet. Kaboom!

Thankfully I was in my AspX so the rebuy wasn't much but yeah, weird.

Volimar

Grrr....why are all the tip off locations inside incredibly overprotected compunds with ridiculously large trespass zones?!?! Back in my day a tip off usually meant some crashed ship or probe.

MarionCB

Grrr....why are all the tip off locations inside incredibly overprotected compunds with ridiculously large trespass zones?!?! Back in my day a tip off usually meant some crashed ship or probe.

Yeah. I got a tip off for ya. See inside that bank with all that security? There's a lot of valuable stuff in there. You're welcome!

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Just grinding Imperial rank waiting for the 26th.

One was Nguna, yeah.

Fuck Nguna. I got a tip off, thought "ooh, this might be interesting", went to Google it to see what it was then decided not to. I thought, this might be something cool, I don't want to spoil it for myself.

Did like 19 fucking jumps, flew to Nguna, and eventually find the coordinates; a heavily defended base with some system security Anacondas loitering overhead. I go, fuck this, look online and apparently the reward is some trifling amount of credits.

Last time I do one of those without looking it up beforehand, that's for sure.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Can somebody tell me how on earth do you escape from a surface security base on a SRV with npc ships following you and attacking you like vultures?

Jedi2016

Can somebody tell me how on earth do you escape from a surface security base on a SRV with npc ships following you and attacking you like vultures?
Learn how to tell mission givers to go fuck themselves.

I haven't been near a secure base since about a week after Horizons launched.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There's something that has been bugging me for a long time.
I've played around with Elite on PC from time to time and I've always used a controller.
For some reason, during the starting controls check, my RT (primary fire) isn't recognized and I always have to press the LMB.
What's weird is that the RT is recognized in the controller rebind settings and I can actually shoot the weapon without any problems once I'm in space. It's just that initial section where it doesn't work.

Does anyone has any idea why this is happening?

I tried resetting controls to defaults (they are default anyway, but I ran out of ideas) and rebound the primary fire to RT again (didn't change anything).

Hmm. Thinking about where to be when the Thargoids kick off.

Settled on flying out to the Gnosis and seeing where it will take me. Actually a bit hyped for 2.4

DrBo42

Anyone know how the Thargoid tech CGs are going? I'm going to be real salty if griefing and lack of player interest ends up fucking us.

StonedRider

Anyone know how the Thargoid tech CGs are going? I'm going to be real salty if griefing and lack of player interest ends up fucking us.

Both CGs were at tier 3 yesterday. I had no time for Elite last weeks, but I want to take my Cutter and haul several thousands tons of Explosives for Liz Ryder after installing 2.4.

Not for rewards, but for Humanity!

SmartBase

Ed said:
As we’ve mentioned before, The Return 2.4 will unfold in a different way to previous updates, with the narrative and content releasing over the coming months.

Not that I'd get hyped over getting to shoot 8-sided fidget spinners and grinding for the gear to do so but this just sounds long-winded on top of what's already been a three year wait for xenos.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Not that I've done them, but I guess having a wingman or two would help?
Get some friends to provide cover from the air. Could be quite a cool spectacle potentially.

DrBo42

Hard to believe we're on the eve of Thargoid invasion after all this time. Their implementation of 2.4 is a big deciding factor of whether some of the more casual players stick around. At the same time it could serve as a huge win and pull in more of an audience if they actually deliver. I'm voting disappointment considering their history with the game until now but I still have some hope.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who came in at PS4 release my opinion probably doesn't have much clout, but I'm happy to continue my routine business in the galaxy (finding Powerplay to be really rewarding) whatever happens.

If the pesky aliens add some more variety/intrigue/flavour to the world, then great. I'm not hoping for a sudden world-altering event (the devs themselves have said the new content will be released slowly over the coming months). Although I can appreciate the players who've stuck around for 2+ years and are expecting something worthwhile to come from all of it.

I haven't been paying attention for a while so I have no idea what this patch is supposed to be. I remember reading something about rescue missions which seems up my alley, but other than that I don't know what to be excited for.

I guess the servers are down? Anyone know an ETA for when they come back?

I need to farm more Powerplay merits before Thursday morning and I'm out tomorrow evening, so tonight's my last chance for this cycle.

GeeTeeCee

Ouch, I didn't realise the PS4 patch (1.06) was just under 16GB. Looks like I won't be playing this or the still-downloading Fortnite at all today.

Probably just for the best, as I don't think my Cobra will last very long against the Thargoids at the moment. Flying all the way to Maia for the CG might not have been the wisest decision.

DrBo42

Ouch, I didn't realise the PS4 patch (1.06) was just under 16GB. Looks like I won't be playing this or the still-downloading Fortnite at all today.

Probably just for the best, as I don't think my Cobra will last very long against the Thargoids at the moment. Flying all the way to Maia for the CG might not have been the wisest decision.

We're not expecting them in the bubble at this stage. If you can manage to quickly get your Cobra out you might be okay.

Top Bottom