• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

sphinx

the piano man
Yep, still one of my favorite areas to traverse whenever I start a new playthrough. That, Forbidden Woods, and Cainhurst Castle are my top three.

yep, I love Cainhurst Castle, its my 2nd favorite area for its great atmosphere and badass last boss. the sense of accomplishment I had beating Logarius was huge.

the forbidden woods, those can go fuck themselves, I hate levels where I can't see where I am going.

if I had to choose a third area that stood out from everything else... mmh..probably Ya'hargul for its amazing, fantastic piece of music. It's sad they didn't use that track somewhere else.

gogosox82

yep, I love Cainhurst Castle, its my 2nd favorite area for its great atmosphere and badass last boss. the sense of accomplishment I had beating Logarius was huge.

the forbidden woods, those can go fuck themselves, I hate levels where I can't see where I am going.

if I had to choose a third area that stood out from everything else... mmh..probably Ya'hargul for its amazing, fantastic piece of music. It's sad they didn't use that track somewhere else.

Forbidden Woods is just too long. Should honestly be two separate levels instead of just one long ass level.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Played about an hour this evening, and after some cheating (using a guide), i found a few new areas, Cainhurst Castle and Yhargul (from getting killed by the new enemy). Elsewhere, I am in Byrgenwerth. Anyways, these two secret areas kicks my ass. I feel the game hasnt been so hard untill now, i even killed the last two bosses on my first and second tries (three guys in the forest, and the witches), but the Darkbeast basically instakilled me. Any reason i should try to do this now, or is it back to the main route? Or do i just have to get gudd?

You can come back later and take out Paarl, but if you leave it too late he will be an absolute joke, like Pinwheel level easy (if you've played DS1). The trick to him is to
work on his limbs so that he collapses - you can, when timed well, keep him in a loop of flopping out on the floor so he never really gets up and just dies in like 10-15 seconds

If you've already done Forbidden Woods and Cainhurst already, you should have a pretty decently upgraded weapon already, so I think you can take him out now without too much trouble, just take a few tries to get used to his movement and attacks. As often is the case, the real boss in that fight is the camera :/

Played about an hour this evening, and after some cheating (using a guide), i found a few new areas, Cainhurst Castle and Yhargul (from getting killed by the new enemy). Elsewhere, I am in Byrgenwerth. Anyways, these two secret areas kicks my ass. I feel the game hasnt been so hard untill now, i even killed the last two bosses on my first and second tries (three guys in the forest, and the witches), but the Darkbeast basically instakilled me. Any reason i should try to do this now, or is it back to the main route? Or do i just have to get gudd?

I missed Carl when he became first available so when I stumbled upon him later on I almost insta-killed him in like 10 seconds.

Morfeo

You can come back later and take out Paarl, but if you leave it too late he will be an absolute joke, like Pinwheel level easy (if you've played DS1). The trick to him is to
work on his limbs so that he collapses - you can, when timed well, keep him in a loop of flopping out on the floor so he never really gets up and just dies in like 10-15 seconds

If you've already done Forbidden Woods and Cainhurst already, you should have a pretty decently upgraded weapon already, so I think you can take him out now without too much trouble, just take a few tries to get used to his movement and attacks. As often is the case, the real boss in that fight is the camera :/

I missed Carl when he became first available so when I stumbled upon him later on I almost insta-killed him in like 10 seconds.

He went down on the third try. Wasnt so hard when i used fire on my weapon, as that took crazy damage of him.

Anyways, i found Iosefkas clinic from Forbidden Woods and started to fight her, but can not send survivors there. Have i fucked up this safe place?

Just going through my captured footage decided to make some more. I've got quite a bit of unused footage I never turned into gifs.

4RDKI5V.gif

y7pSMkQ.gif

Just going through my captured footage decided to make some more. I've got quite a bit of unused footage I never turned into gifs.

4RDKI5V.gif

y7pSMkQ.gif

Do you have any
Gherman
or
Moon Presence
GIFs? Also, have you played through the chalice dungeons? There are a few unique bosses to be found. :]

Beat Amelia on my Blade of Mercy character. Took a couple tries because I've been putting all my points into Skill so I got instant killed a few times.

This boss I feel would be very easy in Dark Souls. The short range of Bloodborne's dash makes it tougher to dodge some of her wider sweeps than it would be with a roll, and I try not to use Blood Vials because I don't want to have to go farm more, whereas I would have no problem spamming Estus in Dark Souls. Plus Dark Souls' bigger weapons and two-handing would make it much easier to stagger her.

.Anema

If someone wants to coop for fun or help or maybe the platinum trophy, feel free to add me. PSN ID "Coiii"
Also Dark Souls 3 (PS4)

MomoMura

Tried to do my first play through without any guides whatsoever. I think the only areas I truly missed out on was Cainhurst castle and the alien bosses (including Ebrietas), which is crazy because I felt like I explored everywhere very thoroughly.

It's crazy how creepy the game gets in the later half, such a vast difference. My theory behind the frenzy debuff was whenever the hunter encountered something truly mind boggling or traumatizing, frenzy was representative of like that psychological damage. Which kind of makes sense why you would encounter frenzy way more in the later half when you start to see some crazy shit (like the singing ladies) and why you would need a sedative to get rid of it.

I've been wanting to replay this game >.< can anyone say if the DLC is worth it?

SDR-UK

Tried to do my first play through without any guides whatsoever. I think the only areas I truly missed out on was Cainhurst castle and the alien bosses (including Ebrietas), which is crazy because I felt like I explored everywhere very thoroughly.

It's crazy how creepy the game gets in the later half, such a vast difference. My theory behind the frenzy debuff was whenever the hunter encountered something truly mind boggling or traumatizing, frenzy was representative of like that psychological damage. Which kind of makes sense why you would encounter frenzy way more in the later half when you start to see some crazy shit (like the singing ladies) and why you would need a sedative to get rid of it.

I've been wanting to replay this game >.< can anyone say if the DLC is worth it?

DLC is better than the main game. You're in for a treat.

Apparently it's even called "Insanity" in the Japanese version.
Why not replay it anyway? I think doing only one playthrough of any Souls game is absolutely nuts.

Ferr986

DLC has the best area in the game IMO (the second one).

So I've owned Bloodborne for at least a year, and I've started it three times. Never got that far. (First time I never even found the second lantern. Second time got stalled out in the first sewers.)

Anyway, I started playing it again last night and the game clicked. I got pretty far without pulling my hair out. Gonna dive back in later today and see how it goes.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So I've owned Bloodborne for at least a year, and I've started it three times. Never got that far. (First time I never even found the second lantern. Second time got stalled out in the first sewers.)

Anyway, I started playing it again last night and the game clicked. I got pretty far without pulling my hair out. Gonna dive back in later today and see how it goes.

i was the same. bought it and tried a few times but couldn't get into it. took me a year and a half before i actually got into it.

i felt that once you pass the first 2-3 bosses things start going smoother and the game kinda opens up and lets you explore a bit more. the 3rd boss here would be the optional one. the 3rd mandatory boss isn't that difficult.

i was the same. bought it and tried a few times but couldn't get into it. took me a year and a half before i actually got into it.

i felt that once you pass the first 2-3 bosses things start going smoother and the game kinda opens up and lets you explore a bit more. the 3rd boss here would be the optional one. the 3rd mandatory boss isn't that difficult.

Part of my increased joy was that I finally got some of the Visceral Attacks going. I'd had zero luck with the timing before. I'm on my way to Father G, so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Somehow I beat Father G after just three tries--and I'd never made it to him before! Amazing how much getting a Visceral attack helps out in a boss fight. I went over to Old Yarnham, and tricked the machinegun guy into falling off the tower, which was nice. I made it a bit further than that, but ended up completely demolished inside (what I think is) an old church. Anyway, I was super stoked to make the progress I did.

gogosox82

Well I've decided to come back to game and do a bl10 playthrough. The goal is to do all bosses and go all the way to ng+6. Well see how far I can actually get before i go insane lol.

xuchu

Well I've decided to come back to game and do a bl10 playthrough. The goal is to do all bosses and go all the way to ng+6. Well see how far I can actually get before i go insane lol.

Nice. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Shadows of yharnam will be the first real obstacle. Why not bl4 though? Want to have access to more weapons?

Milijango

Why not do BL4 (Waste of Skin origin) for extra bragging rights? Not that it makes any difference, difficulty-wise. I did it on one playthrough, and it wasn't so bad outside of the DLC, but I haven't yet gone to NG+ or the chalices.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Part of my increased joy was that I finally got some of the Visceral Attacks going. I'd had zero luck with the timing before. I'm on my way to Father G, so we'll see how that goes.

edit: Somehow I beat Father G after just three tries--and I'd never made it to him before! Amazing how much getting a Visceral attack helps out in a boss fight. I went over to Old Yarnham, and tricked the machinegun guy into falling off the tower, which was nice. I made it a bit further than that, but ended up completely demolished inside (what I think is) an old church. Anyway, I was super stoked to make the progress I did.

I struggled with Gascoigne first time because I kept trying to fight him down at the gravestones. I ran upstairs so he'd follow me and just fought him up there. Did you use the Music Box on him?

I hate that machine gun guy but yeah I just try get him to fall off too lol. Keep pushing through the area. No other boss has given me as much trouble as the Old Yharnam boss lol. I just suck at dealing with it. Hint: stock up on antidotes :)

It's pretty easy to use the environment against Gascoigne.
Even during his beast form, he got stuck on the railing and couldn't go up the stairs, so I used the Cleaver R2 against him until he died.

MomoMura

Father Gascoigne was incredibly annoying my first playthrough. Don't even remember how many tries it took to beat him.

My second play through though I got him on the first try lol it's crazy how much your mechanics improve

I struggled with Gascoigne first time because I kept trying to fight him down at the gravestones. I ran upstairs so he'd follow me and just fought him up there. Did you use the Music Box on him?

I hate that machine gun guy but yeah I just try get him to fall off too lol. Keep pushing through the area. No other boss has given me as much trouble as the Old Yharnam boss lol. I just suck at dealing with it. Hint: stock up on antidotes :)

Oh I had no idea about the music box. I fought him in the Graves and just really tried to time my shotgun. There was once or twice where he nearly killed me, but overall the stun made the fight so simple.

And I'll be sure to stock up on antidotes. Is there a way to stock more than 10 at a time?

graybot

Is there a thread on neogaf for bloodborne assistance? I started the Dlc this weekend. It's on new game +, I hadn't played the game in about two years and I'm badly stuck on two bosses. The last boss (orphan of Kos) as well as Laurance the first vicar

Been trying to summon people for ages but to no avail

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My friend has beaten this a couple times, I think - I beat it once a while back ago and it was instantly cemented as a Top Ten of All Time for me.

A few weeks ago, my buddy and I started up a character together, and we only play this save when we hang out together. It's been a shit-ton of fun passing off the controller at each death and just overall dicking around and making choices together. Can't get over how fucking good this game is. The atmosphere is just straight-up unrivaled. Period.

That said, boy - I really gave the camera a pass during my first playthrough. I remember it being finicky during the DLC, but main game? I kind of looked past it. But boy oh boy does it struggle more than I remember.

Also, this game deserves - more than just about any 30fps game I can think of - a 60fps upgrade. I yearn for the eventual remaster 10+ years down the road.

The camera is awful during the Cleric Beast fight especially. It makes the fight much harder than it actually is.

Not really sold on the Blade of Mercy at all. The range is terrible, very high stamina cost, attack startup isn't even particularly fast. Alright against bosses but against dogs or any group larger than 2 enemies it's painful. ESPECIALLY
red moon Yahar'ghul.

Milijango

The camera is awful during the Cleric Beast fight especially. It makes the fight much harder than it actually is.

Not really sold on the Blade of Mercy at all. The range is terrible, very high stamina cost, attack startup isn't even particularly fast. Alright against bosses but against dogs or any group larger than 2 enemies it's painful. ESPECIALLY
red moon Yahar'ghul.

The camera issues disappear when you start fighting bosses lengthwise along the arena. The depth perception is still iffy when you're locked on up close but as long as you keep a bearing on the boss' moves it's fine.

The Blades aren't my favourite but the dodge R1s are really good. The main issue is that they speed up after the 4th hit - but any enemy that lets you combo it for that long wouldn't have been a threat to begin with.

Morfeo

Got killed twice by Rom - and I am now out of vials in my storage :( Does this mean i should start farming? Any decent strategy for this? Now i really miss the estus flasks.

Also, it feels like i do very little damage to his minions, using the starting axe, any recommended level for this? I tried to buff my weapon with both fire and bolt which worked ok (and great on Rom himself), but it was still a huge pain to kill off his minions in the second phase when he also sent ice.

Got killed twice by Rom - and I am now out of vials in my storage :( Does this mean i should start farming? Any decent strategy for this? Now i really miss the estus flasks.

Also, it feels like i do very little damage to his minions, using the starting axe, any recommended level for this? I tried to buff my weapon with both fire and bolt which worked ok (and great on Rom himself), but it was still a huge pain to kill off his minions in the second phase when he also sent ice.

You have to ge rid of the little spiders first, and you can take all the time in he world to do this. Hitting them on their head is useless, so get them from behind.
Once they're all clear do the following:

1.Find your weakest right hand weapon in your inventory and equip as a secondary.
2. Use a beast blood pellet
3. Start hitting rom on its head with this combo: R1>L1>L1> and more L1 until you run out of stamina.
4. Repeat until your beast meter is filled at least halfway.
5. Swotch back to your strong weapon and use bolt/fire paper and start wailing on its body and watch it go down instantly.

Go to the Forbidden Grave lamp, run backwards through the woods and kill the two giant pigs. They drop 2-4 vials each and give you enough echoes to buy more when you go back to the lamp.

If you want a strategy for Rom:
Kill all of the spiders during the first phase, but after that, ignore them. They won't try to chase you, so stay at the edge of their range and wait for Rom to attack, then dash in. If by the time you get close Rom is rearing back to do another attack, keep running to a safe distance from Rom and the spiders. If not, you can get to Rom's side and do a few hits, then quickstep back out and repeat.

I also prefer using the Hunter Axe's basic mode against bosses. It's faster but still does practically the same damage. Polearm mode is still one of the best weapons in the game against mobs, so don't just go pure one-handed.

gogosox82

Well had my first death in Hemwick. Fell into the pack of those roaming dogs :( Almost got Saw Clever to +6. After I finish Hemwick, I'll do Amelia and then make a quick dash to get Beasthunter Saif.

Nice. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Shadows of yharnam will be the first real obstacle. Why not bl4 though? Want to have access to more weapons?

Basically so I can use beasthunter saif lol. I did a bl4 run back when the game came out but the file got corrupted somehow :( But yeah Shadows and Rom were the toughest for me because viseral damage is terrible and no stamina.

Why not do BL4 (Waste of Skin origin) for extra bragging rights? Not that it makes any difference, difficulty-wise. I did it on one playthrough, and it wasn't so bad outside of the DLC, but I haven't yet gone to NG+ or the chalices.

And i already did bl4 back when the game came but that only new game and that file got corrupted somehow so I needed to start over. Wanted to do something different this time but still be challenging and i really want to use Beasthunter Saif. I know its never going to be as good as the Saw Cleaver but may want to mix it up for fun when I get into my "I'm so tired of using Saw Cleaver" mood.

Ferr986

Is there a thread on neogaf for bloodborne assistance? I started the Dlc this weekend. It's on new game +, I hadn't played the game in about two years and I'm badly stuck on two bosses. The last boss (orphan of Kos) as well as Laurance the first vicar

Been trying to summon people for ages but to no avail

If you're still stuck I can help you tonight.

Ferr986

Holy shit I'm playing a Chalice dungeon that is kind of glitchy and its being fun yet scary experience, like enemies appearing on the safe lantern room or the latest one, a big room where I can hear idle noises from an enemy yet no one is there, and then suddenly a gargolye pops above me and grabs me. I jumped like a friggin kid lol

Morfeo

Thanks for the tips! Did it on about my 10th try. I ended up farming about 60 vials on the pigs (which also let me level a bit), but when it came to the battle itself, i didnt really follow any of your advices.

What i did was first slowly killing the spiders off and whacking him in the first round (easy). For the second round, which i usually died, i just try to be super-patient, and always have stamina to dodge his ice crystals. Three dodges would usually mean he would not hit me, and then wait for the spiders to do their jumping suicide attack - killing them off one by one while just dodging and waiting for the opening. When they were killed, i quickly went for Rom himself with all my power. In the third and final phase, i found the flying crystals were even more annoying, but i used the same strategy as in the second, patiently killing off one spider at the time. When it was all done, i finally used some bolt paper since he made more resistance now, and killed him off. Felt really good - and now the world is even bleaker lol.

Milijango

The other weapons are such a disappointment compared to the Hunter Axe. All of its moves are distinct and useful, and it has by far one of the best transformation attacks.

Everyone will say this about their favourite weapon.

Other than some niche stuff like the Tonitrus and the Parasite, every weapon in Bloodborne is extremely flexible and has more than an enough functionality for any encounter.

gogosox82

I think very few weapons compare to how fleshed-out the Axe is. It's a weapon with both a pancake slam AND a spin to win.

Personally, I find the axe to be quite boring especially since you can cheese so many encounters (and bosses for that matter) with spin to win. I just think there are weapons that are better dps wise (saw cleaver) or just have more interesting movesets (Beasthunter Saif, Rayuko, Burial Blade)

Top Bottom