• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve finally acknowledges the HALF-LIFE series!

GrayChild

... by putting a Combine themed wall in their office:

https://twitter.com/ValveTime/status/941687833143795714

DRGLNz3WAAAAa8a.jpg

DRGLMvrWsAAAkst.jpg

Nice one, Gabe.

xviper

at this point, fans better hope HL3 NOT getting made, because of the insane hype it got, it will never reach expectations and will be considered a huge disappointment no matter how good it is

Krooner

at this point, fans better hope HL3 NOT getting made, because of the insane hype it got, it will never reach expectations and will be considered a huge disappointment no matter how good it is

Nonsense. It'll have it's work cut out for sure, but if it rocked up as the BOTW of FPS' it's be fine.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
HL3 will be like nothing we have ever seen or played,

It will change the gaming industry more then the Iphone changed the mobile phone market....

But seriously what is wrong with valve making a new half life game and it just being a very high quality game with modern tech.

For people who will be disapointed that half life 3 is not the matrix or something daft are dumb
I guess people with unrealistic hype levels are niave and ignorant.

If half life 3 was a good a game as today's best games, like uncharted 4, the last of us, witcher 3,Zelda BOTW, GTA5 (and soon RDR2), it would be a great thing!

And Im pretty sure a new half life game would surpass todays best games in some ways.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I dont care if HL3 (if ever it comes) isnt a groundbreaking game. I just need a good game and thats it! I will be happy if its a good game. It doesnt need to be groundbreaking. If the option is to have a good game vs no game, of course having a good game is a better deal.

Half Life 2 had the wildest hype imaginable at the time. It was filled with development problems due to the hack and source code leak, it was delayed by more than a year after the original date. And it still came out swinging.

I dont care if HL3 (if ever it comes) isnt a groundbreaking game. I just need a good game and thats it! I will be happy if its a good game. It doesnt need to be groundbreaking. If the option is to have a good game vs no game, of course having a good game is a better deal.

Plenty of other good games out there for people to play.
People usually yearn for games from some neglected genre (arcade racers, 3d platformers upto a year or two ago, shmups etc etc).

If it ever gets made Half Life 3 will presumably be a predominantly single player FPS game, a genre that is far from dead despite the rise of multiplayer grindfest fps games.
I fail to see how it's worth giving it any thought, if one isn't expecting it to be head and shoulders above all the other single player fps games in quality and merely "good" is enough.

Honestly, I wonder if in the year 2017, the people still going on about half life 3 even have the faintest idea of what they would expect such a game to bring to the table that wouldn't just result in a backlash against Valve after a decade of non stop memes and forum moaning.

Aside from the money they make from steam etc meaning they don't need to make HL3, if I were valve no way I'd bother making HL3.
People expect them to bring some amazing innovation to one of the most prevelant aaa genres, the first person shooter.
There is a very high chance the resulting fallout from a a HL3 that is "good but not amazing compared to other fps games in 2017 like HL2 was a decade ago" would just damage their brand.

But you are getting games that fit your criteria. If Half Life 3 at the least wouldn't aspire to be a "groundbraking game" then there's not much of a point for it to exist, even less so when considering Valve's realities.

However a good start would be if Valve remade the original and expansions with up to date technology and retrofit VR into them. There's quite a big of an audience that haven't experienced these games.

*Note: im aware that the long overdue fan project for restoring HL1 was released but i talk about something more "profesional" with more resources behind it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I might be crazy wrong here but after Portal, when was the last time Valve made single player game? It feels like Valve is no longer interested in making SP games anymore and even they do end up making Half-Life 3, I bet you anything that they really push MP on it.

CeeJay

People said exactly the same before half life 2 was released. With this kind of attitude nothing would progress.

Kadayi

Banned
People said exactly the same before half life 2 was released. With this kind of attitude nothing would progress.

Agreed. I honestly have to wonder at the mental gymnastics some people put themselves through to come up with ideas like that.

As with regard to the wall...cool I guess, but what would have been way cooler would have been shipping Episode 3 about 10+ years ago

Sosokrates

HL3 will never be made. They will call it HL4.

Half life revalations
Half life X
Half life infinite
Full life

Agreed. I honestly have to wonder at the mental gymnastics some people put themselves through to come up with ideas like that.

As with regard to the wall...cool I guess, but what would of been way cooler would have been shipping Episode 3 about 10+ years ago.

I wonder what happened Im sure HL2:E3 was in development, I wonder why they just stopped?

Did they change it to HALF LIFE 3 , but it got to ambitious and the heads and valve thought lets can it and focus on steam?

Its seems do strange just to let the best game just die and not mention it ever again.

Meh, fuck sakes....

Kadayi

Banned
I wonder what happened Im sure HL2:E3 was in development, I wonder why they just stopped?

Did they change it to HALF LIFE 3 , but it got to ambitious and the heads and valve thought lets can it and focus on steam?

Its seems do strange just to let the best game just die and not mention it ever again.

Meh, fuck sakes....

HL3 has never been a thing. It's simply an assumption by people. Episode 3 is still MIA but if you want closure on that read Marc Laidlaws Blog below: -

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

It's about as good as you're going to get I suspect at this juncture

HL3 has never been a thing. It's simply an assumption by people. Episode 3 is still MIA but if you want closure on that read Marc Laidlaws Blog below: -

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

It's about as good as you're going to get I suspect at this juncture

That game wold've been so awesome. Just reading that, going to antarctica, battling foes on a ship going in and out of time - that HL2 brand gameplay and that special old-valve magic. Wonder what exactly happened. Shit got too expensive? - their original idea was a short 6 hour episode every 6 months. Ended up with a not very outstanding 4 hour first episode that took a year and a half. By the time ep2 shipped games like Stalker, Crysis, ARMA, Far Cry 2, Borderlands started pushing the genre to open areas and the rpg elements started crawling into the genre. Maybe by the time they were starting with Ep 3 they looked at that and thought a liniar, scripted project wont be able to compete anymore.

Kadayi

Banned
That game wold've been so awesome. Just reading that, going to antarctica, battling foes on a ship going in and out of time - that HL2 brand gameplay and that special old-valve magic. Wonder what exactly happened. Shit got too expensive? - their original idea was a short 6 hour episode every 6 months. Ended up with a not very outstanding 4 hour first episode that took a year and a half. By the time ep2 shipped games like Stalker, Crysis, ARMA, Far Cry 2, Borderlands started pushing the genre to open areas and the rpg elements started crawling into the genre. Maybe by the time they were starting with Ep 3 they looked at that and thought a liniar, scripted project wont be able to compete anymore.

I think there's still a lot of scope for linear contained game experiences.

As regards why we never saw EP3, something I posted in another thread: -

Why didn't it happened? I doubt we will ever truly establish the why, however at the time of Laidlaw's blog post a friend of mine elsewhere did offer up this interesting observation: -

The Borealis part makes me wonder if Valve went back to the drawing board because of Singularity. In February 2008, Newell said they have something we had never seen before. That summer Singularity was announced and the first teaser featured a similar time-travel mechanic.

Never played Singularity myself, so I can't comment on its intricacies, but the idea that some other developer came in and ate Valves gameplay lunch is an intriguing one for sure.

Alastor3

By releasing the script of HL3 this year, it's obvious it's abandonned and fans should stop giving it hope.

xviper

By releasing the script of HL3 this year, it's obvious it's abandonned and fans should stop giving it hope.

every company loves money, Fallout 4 sold tons and tons of copies even though it was considered a huge disappointment, all thanks to the insane hype it got

one day, Valve will make Half life 3 due to the high demands and because they want money(Duh), but will it live up to the hype ?? hell no

Sosokrates

every company loves money, Fallout 4 sold tons and tons of copies even though it was considered a huge disappointment, all thanks to the insane hype it got

one day, Valve will make Half life 3 due to the high demands and because they want money(Duh), but will it live up to the hype ?? hell no

Fallout 4 was not a disappointment if you look at user reviews on amazon and metacritic the majority of people love it.

Also if another half life game is as good as the best games coming out now, lots of people will be happy by that. See my previous post for more on my views about this.

xviper

Fallout 4 was not a disappointment if you look at user reviews on amazon and metacritic the majority of people love it.

Its only new vegas and RPG purists who are butthurt by fallout 4.

most fans of the series hated Fallout 4, i'm not a fan of the series and i really liked Fallout 4 and consider it one of the best games of 2015, but you got to admit that it didn't even live up to 5% of the hype it got, people expected far too much

that's what gonna happen once Valve or any other company makes Half life 3

Sosokrates

most fans of the series hated Fallout 4, i'm not a fan of the series and i really liked Fallout 4 and consider it one of the best games of 2015, but you got to admit that it didn't even live up to 5% of the hype it got, people expected far too much

that's what gonna happen once Valve or any other company makes Half life 3

Yes there probably will be some very loud voices shouting there disappointment of a the next half life game, but it also probably be still sell millions and be well reviewed by critics and consumers.

I think overhype and game disappointed is created by the individual most of the time.
I expirenced it with GTA4 where some game previews made it sound like the realisum would be off the charts and the way cops and npcs reacted would be extremely realistic.
Afterall a game is just a game and evolutionary things happen not some huge revolution, and my experience with GTA4 taught me this, however I understand how gamers can still fall victim to there imaginations and hyperbolic press.

xviper

Yes there probably will be some very loud voices shouting there disappointment of a the next half life game, but it also probably be still sell millions and be well reviewed by critics and consumers.

I think overhype and game disappointed is created by the individual most of the time.
I expirenced it with GTA4 where some game previews made it sound like the realisum would be off the charts and the way cops and npcs reacted would be extremely realistic.
Afterall a game is just a game and evolutionary things happen not some huge revolution, and my experience with GTA4 taught me this, however I understand how gamers can still fall victim to there imaginations and hyperbolic press.

we're all victims of the hype, when a game gets hyped as fuck, you'd get curious and buy it, if it's shit, then you lost your money, that happened to me too many times, the worst one was with The last Guardian, fuck that game, probably the worst 60$ i have ever spent, and what makes it even worse is that Shadow of the colossus is my 2nd favorite game of all time

of course a disappointment does not mean the game is bad, FFXV is my biggest disappointment of the generation and i still liked it, TLG is not just a disappointment, it's a piece of shit and a mark of shame on the developers

The lack of an end to the HL saga is a creatively pathetic situation and a disgrace. I don’t care how much of a risk of backlash there is; letting this situation continue indefinitely is a travesty and a huge blight on VALVe’s reputation as artists. Backlash is temporary. It passes. An incomplete saga is forever. When those rumors were published a few years back that they were going to do HL3 but decided against it due to the imagined backlash, all I could do to avoid becoming intensely sad was to assume those rumors were BS (they were not being published by major sites).

I prefer to think it is just a lack of inspiration. No, that is not a sufficient excuse, but at least it is not actively pathetic. Shutting down nascent development due to expected negativity — that’s actively pathetic.

Don’t get me wrong. I understand the fear of serious problems like death threats or online hatred. But these guys are not some random shop. This is VALVe. They do big things and face negative reactions constantly. They can’t handle one more in the name of their artistic integrity, and to sate the hunger of the fans that made them what they are success-wise? Where would they be without Half-Life and HL2?

I also don’t buy this whole “it has to be revolutionary” angle. A solid, modern shooter with that uncopyable Half-Life aesthetic and a thoughtful story ending — that would sell great and surely get at least solid reviews. So what is the problem? Pretty sure no one is expecting anyone to pull off some huge coup of originality in an FPS at this point. Just, you know, do it. People like Doom, and that is retro. People like Wolfenstein, and that just has a nice story. What, VALVe is unequal to matching games like that? PLEASE.

Sigh....

Sosokrates

we're all victims of the hype, when a game gets hyped as fuck, you'd get curious and buy it, if it's shit, then you lost your money, that happened to me too many times, the worst one was with The last Guardian, fuck that game, probably the worst 60$ i have ever spent, and what makes it even worse is that Shadow of the colossus is my 2nd favorite game of all time

of course a disappointment does not mean the game is bad, FFXV is my biggest disappointment of the generation and i still liked it, TLG is not just a disappointment, it's a piece of shit and a mark of shame on the developers

Maybe it comes with experience, but I dont fall victim to overhype any more, especially with all the accessable content we have these days.

Take RDR2 for example sure I will get hyped about it, but I can imagine what it will be like, in a way I kind purposefully ground my expectations which most of the time leaves my game experience beyond my expectations.

Kadayi

Banned
I prefer to think it is just a lack of inspiration. No, that is not a sufficient excuse, but at least it is not actively pathetic. Shutting down nascent development due to expected negativity — that’s actively pathetic.

I think at this juncture that from a production perspective Valve simply doesn't possess the necessary in-house talent, organisation or temperament to see through a focused traditional single-player title that would be on a par with what other development studios are producing these days. A lot of notable people have departed the company over the years and there isn't much sense of people going to Valve. There's definitely incentive for Valve to make VR games in order to promote sales of the Vive and if anything I suspect that is where their attention will be going forward.

Ubername

Banned
Maybe it comes with experience, but I dont fall victim to overhype any more, especially with all the accessable content we have these days.

Take RDR2 for example sure I will get hyped about it, but I can imagine what it will be like, in a way I kind purposefully ground my expectations which most of the time leaves my game experience beyond my expectations.

Every R* game I've ever felt excited about was always worse than I thought it would be

mango drank

Expecting Valve to give us HL3 at this point is like expecting Square Enix to give us Chrono 3.

In another dimension, maybe.

Velius

Banned

The tragedy is that eventually it will be made, just not by Valve.

Some fucktard will acquire the rights and make a piece of shit game to cash in on the legacy.

Cramoss

i don't care about expectations, i just want to play a new half life

Kadayi

Banned
i don't care about expectations, i just want to play a new half life

I have to question whether these people who espouse this idea that a conclusion shouldn't be made, have in fact actually played the previous games tbh. Both HL & HL2 were great games, but this notion that they are flawless gems of excellence is a nonsense. The platforming section in Xen in the original was all kinds of BS, and the boat section in the sequel wasn't any great shakes either, and nor for that matter was the resistance AI (door blocking assholes who were more of a hindrance than anything else).

Top Bottom