• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 to feature Mount Panorama

mclaren777

At least pretend to like it a little bit instead of coming into every GT thread as a fucking Debbie Downer. It's infuriating.

I like GT5 quite a lot. I wouldn't have reached Level 32 in two months if I didn't.

i2OyscBTNIrXl.png

saladine1

I guess we are at that point again. I was fervently against the inclusion of standard cars before the game was released and I didn't like them after I had played it. Wonky and slow menu's and same ol' career mode cemented the idea that this game was unfinished and inconsistent. After all the patches it has become quite capable though. PD has shown they listen to community feedback (thank god for removing the recommended gear indicator) which lets the player focus more on the superb driving engine underneath.

But Kaz. PLEASE FIX THE ENGINE SOUNDS! I don't care how you do it. Change your recording methods, or re-sample existing recordings, just make it sound like I'm driving a car with an engine connected to an exhaust. It's the only thing that is currently turning me off from playing GT5.
FUCKING THIS!!

I don't give a rat's arse if the whole car count is made up of standard vehicles, I don't care about jaggies, alpha layers or whether we have snow or sunshine, just give me amazing sound effects and i'll be in heaven.

I guess we are at that point again. I was fervently against the inclusion of standard cars before the game was released and I didn't like them after I had played it. Wonky and slow menu's and same ol' career mode cemented the idea that this game was unfinished and inconsistent. After all the patches it has become quite capable though. PD has shown they listen to community feedback (thank god for removing the recommended gear indicator) which lets the player focus more on the superb driving engine underneath.

But Kaz. PLEASE FIX THE ENGINE SOUNDS! I don't care how you do it. Change your recording methods, or re-sample existing recordings, just make it sound like I'm driving a car with an engine connected to an exhaust. It's the only thing that is currently turning me off from playing GT5.

PD reacted to complaints after the game had been finished when they should have been working with the community while the game was being developed. They also should have sought help from other Sony studios because it's pretty clear they are not up to par. I'm just wondering if anyone has had the balls to tell Kaz this and whether this will be their direction going forward.

Dead Man

One of the recent patches did upgrade the engine sounds I think, they certainly sound better than I remember them when I first played. The muscle cars are still not perfect, but they are better.

paskowitz

The last couple of pages of this three have been fun. GT5 was a mess at launch because Sony practically forced PD to release the game. That being said, at launch, it was kinda shit. Let's just make sure that is understood. Second, PD has done a fantastic job updating the game to this point. There is a lot more they could fix, but overall the game is in a decent state.

I agree with some people here PD needs to either expand internally or outsource. Kaz has a vision that is beyond the capacity of his studio. GT5 bit off more than it could chew. The game and its fans suffered for this. Hopefully the rumoured more simple architecture of the PS4 can help mitigate this. These two things together are why PD need to release GT6 on the PS4. We can still get more GT5 content through DLC, but PD need to focus on laying the foundation for the next generation. This one is lost. They parched it up the best they could, but it is time to move on so this never happens again. GT6 on PS3 can only be more content and new features. Is this really better than continued GT5 support? Can this not be achieved through continued GT5 support? Not to mention, is it worth delaying a next gen GT even further? No.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AlStrong said:
Proper sorting of multiple transparency layers would be prohibitively expensive.
A good place to start would be not rendering transparent Windows with Z-Write enabled...
And it's not like you need per-polygon sorting or anything near as complex to address this - in most PS2 racers we did this just fine (although I suppose GT didn't do it then either).
Given the resolution of their smoke-rendering it may very well be intentional though - you could get the whole cockpit in low-res visuals.

but the name of the game is supposed to be 60fps, and it's just extra performance cost.
Irony here is that people call it a "hw issue" - but PD used the same method of rendering smoke on PS2, even though it was a transparent rendering speed king of its generation.
I do have to wonder how design approach was decided though - they knew the implications of smoke on 640x480, and somehow moving to 1080P, and adding much heavier pixel-processing on each smoke sprite, without the proportionate increase in HW-resources - surely you'd know that will be a performance killer early on.

Top Bottom