• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oceanhorn |OT|- Zelda ass Zelda clone for iOS with music from Uematsu and Kenji Ito

shawnlreed

Having finished Oceanhorn this weekend, I just wanted GAF to know how totally amazing this game is.
I had a blast sinking almost 20 hours into it, and feel like I got a $40 experience out of the game, no question.
Undeniably, it cribs heavily from Zelda and Windwaker, but it still manages to find its own voice and tell a very interesting story.
I was taken aback at times at how good the writing was in parts of the game, and the voice work (especially your father) is well delivered.
The dungeons do rely on a fair amount of block switch puzzles, but they are well done, feel as clever as many Zelda dungeons, and the bosses are unique and require some actual strategy to beat.
This seems like the type of game that will generate a lot of LTTP threads over time, as people stumble upon it and discover how amazing an adventure Oceanhorn is.
Seriously GAF, it's worth your time.

10925135516_58fa19d887_n.jpg

Yanksfan

Having finished Oceanhorn this weekend, I just wanted GAF to know how totally amazing this game is.
I had a blast sinking almost 20 hours into it, and feel like I got a $40 experience out of the game, no question.
Undeniably, it cribs heavily from Zelda and Windwaker, but it still manages to find its own voice and tell a very interesting story.
I was taken aback at times at how good the writing was in parts of the game, and the voice work (especially your father) is well delivered.
The dungeons do rely on a fair amount of block switch puzzles, but they are well done, feel as clever as many Zelda dungeons, and the bosses are unique and require some actual strategy to beat.
This seems like the type of game that will generate a lot of LTTP threads over time, as people stumble upon it and discover how amazing an adventure Oceanhorn is.

10925135516_58fa19d887_n.jpg

Good to hear that it not only nailed the look, but the feel of a Zelda game. Based off of feedback like this, I will definitely be picking it up this week. Thanks to everyone here for making me aware of this gem that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Is it wrong that I kinda want this game and any other great looking game on iOS to fail so that it doesn't eventually take over dedicated handheld gaming in the long run?

Is it wrong that I kinda want this game and any other great looking game on iOS to fail so that it doesn't eventually take over dedicated handheld gaming in the long run?

nothing wrong with opinions but do note if mobile gaming fails, dedicated handhelds kinda share the same boat too ;)

ParityBit

Yes its wrong. I for one hope it flourishes as it has been. You stick with your handhelds, Ill stick with my mobile (tablet gaming). I don't wish for handhelds to fail and there is no reason the games can't be on both.

Skyr

Purchased it yesterday on my ipad 4 and played for like 1 hour.
Have to say its the best game overall I have played so far on the ipad and runs great too.
I am usually not a huge fan of tablet games. Most are boring like shit tbh, because they simply lack gameplay depth. Looking forward to more games like this in the future.

nikos

This is finally out? I remember it being announced a couple of years ago. Will pick it up for the new iPad Mini.

putermcgee

It's not wrong, but it gives me a headache. Why would you want anything to fail just because it's not the thing you're into? That's like a kid smashing his brother's toys because... well because they're not his.

I'm actually surprised to see people even running it on an iPad 2. It seems to run pretty well on the 5S, but I don't have enough free space to test on my iPad 3.

I'm maybe 2 hours in, and I really enjoy it despite its flaws. As others have commented, animation isn't the best, and I think combat needs work. I feel like I'm falling down platforms accidentally, and getting frustrated when the character can't even hoist himself up a waist-high ledge. Sometimes the enemies respawn too early for my tastes, but so far they're not tough to just do away with.

Visually, it's awesome. I should watch some older videos or screenshots, but I feel like this looks basically the same as what was originally announced. If someone saw you playing this, they'd probably want it for themselves right away... unfortunately, I don't think the iOS gaming community has gotten to the point where a $9 game is an easy download decision yet.

Really enjoying this. About 5 hours in and been playing on my iPhone 4S. Just got a new iPad Air yesterday and will try to transition over playing on that.

Perfectly doable on the iPhone but feel this game deserves the iPad.

Probably one of the best gaming experiences for a while - and that's from someone who hated "mobile/touchscreen gaming"... Sure, the controls are frustrating at times but still acceptable.

NeoGash

Graphics seem quite good. This isn't even a clone, more like an IVF baby from the same sperm donor of Zelda.

hongcha

Quoted for truth. I just finished the game today, and it was a fantastic ride. Just a really magical game that rarely comes around these days.
My total play time was 12 hours 27 minutes, with 76% completion. While there is a good dash of Zelda in it (though it shares nothing specific with Windwaker other than the sailing), there is an equal amount of influence from classic action-rpg games like Landstalker and Equinox; a point that deserves mention.

Don't pass this one up, it is the iOS GOTY, and it is better than almost every game I played on my 3DS and Vita this year.

hongcha

A new patch was released today, updating the game to ver 1.3. It fixes a lot of bugs and improves the framerate. I tried it out and the parts that were choppy before, such as Tikarel, are much smoother now (pretty stable 30 fps on my ipad 2). The devs also say this update makes the game run at 60fps on an ipad mini retina.

co1onel

I just finished this game and it was actually a pleasant surprise. Let me start by saying that I have a strong dislike for mobile gaming due to terrible experiences time and time again. This game did so many things right though. It's legit. No hand holding. Good puzzles, exploration, bosses. Music was amazing. And the touch controls didn't ruin my experience. My only gripe is that general movement and combat felt a little too slow, but overall I don't think it hurt it too much. Its not the best game I've played lately, but definitely the most enjoyable experience I've ever had on a mobile platform, and it really was a full experience.

And to top things off, the 60fps on my ipad mini was absolutely gorgeous.

It was really weird, but I even got my younger sister who doesn't play video games outside of social sims to download the game and try it. 5 hours later she was still playing it and going on about how good it was. (she couldn't get over how realistic the water looked...)

heringer

Apparently the game did well and a sequel is semi confirmed.

"The next thing for us will be something to do with Oceanhorn, we are thinking of porting this version of the game to other platforms, but we haven't decided if we're going to do it and we haven't announced any particular platforms, but we would love to do a sequel and I'm 99 percent sure we're going to make one."

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Oceanhorn/feature.asp?c=55913

"The next thing for us will be something to do with Oceanhorn, we are thinking of porting this version of the game to other platforms, but we haven't decided if we're going to do it and we haven't announced any particular platforms, but we would love to do a sequel and I'm 99 percent sure we're going to make one."

thats good to hear. weekend confirmed made it seem like it was struggling.

hopefully the sequel has less block puzzles.

chepu

How does it run in the iPhone 4S? its really tempting but i only have a few bucks and dont want to play a game running at 15 fps or less :/

co1onel

Sounds good. I wonder what they mean by other platforms. Other mobile platforms, or console/handhelds?

Fredrik

I just tried this and wow, I came away very pleasantly surprised, possibly the best Zelda clone I've ever played. Nice colorful graphics, light hearted, beautiful music and imo really great controls for a touch game, it looks like the framerate is pretty much locked at 60 on iPad Air too. Simply fantastic!

There's a new free edition where you can play the first chapter as well as test the game on your device.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/04/15/oceanhorn-benchmark-edition/

They're releasing a free trial version, which gives you a chance to check out the first chapter of the game, as well as test how well it performs on your device. Now, lite versions of games are nothing new, and indeed you could always just simply download a lite version of a game to see how it performed on your iOS device. What's interesting about Oceanhorn Benchmark Edition is that it actually comes with a testing mode built-in that will grade the performance of the game on your particular device.

The game is available now in international markets, and should land in the US App Store around 11pm EST later tonight.

Tizoc

Uh bumping cuz it is releasing on Steam soon, why isn't there much talk of it or at least a new thread for the PC release?

Nuuvem has it for under $10 if anyone's interested and the key they offer is region free as someone in North America redeemed it just fine.

Top Bottom