• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

S0hOjOC.png

~~Special Thanks to petition signers who campaigned for the release of this game and Bandai Namco for listening to them. If you would like to see future Digimon releases localized PLEASE SUPPORT THIS GAME! It needs all the help it can get.~~

Developer: Media.Vision Inc.
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Release Date: Mar. 12th 2015 (JP) | Nov. 26th 2015 (AS w/ Chinese) | Feb. 2nd 2016 (NA) | Feb. 5th 2016 (EU | AS w/ English)
Platform: PlayStation Vita (PlayStation TV Compatible) | PlayStation 4
Size: 1.5GB (VITA) | 2.57GB (PS4)
Languages: Japanese audio with English subtitles (NA | EU | AS) | Japanese audio with Traditional Chinese subtitles (AS) | Japanese (JP)
Genre: Turn-Based JRPG

With the Talents of:
Suzuhito Yasuda - Character Design
Masafumi Takada - Sound Director
Oh! great - New Creatures Design

Helpful Links:
Import OT
Visual List of Digimon (Some are listed by their Japanese name)
Trophy List (Watch for spoilers under the Chapter trophies)

FREE DLC
HbyBM1a.jpg

These mission packs are currently available on PSN for free.

Mission Pack 1:
Mission pack 1 contains an Urgent Request from Mirei (Battle 3 mysterious hackers! Mirei needs your help!), A Villainous Cinematic Case (Featuring Justimon, SuperStamon and Starmon) and Ueno Digimon Festival (Featuring the fan-favorite, poop-throwing Digimon… Numemon!)!

Mission Pack 2:
Mission pack 2 contains Terriermon's Exclusive Scoop! (Featuring a Machine Digimon - GranLocomon), Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Wrath (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Creepymon) and Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Greed (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Barbamon)!

Mission Pack 3:
Mission pack 3 contains Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Lust (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Lilithmon), Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Envy (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Leviamon) and Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Gluttony (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Beelzemon)!

Mission Pack 4:
Mission pack 4 contains Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Sloth (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Belphemon), Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Pride (Featuring one of the Seven Great Demon Lords - Lucemon) and Parallel World, Girl and Destiny: Fanatics (Featuring a Puppet Digimon - Monzaemon!)!

Pre-order/Day-One DLC
vo9XP5b.jpg

If you buy Cyber Sleuth on PSN, you will have all of February to download this DLC. Physical versions are limited to pre-order (NA) and day-one (EU) copies.

It includes:
  • Unlocked Beelzemon Blast Mode and Kerpymon (Black)
  • BlackAgumon, BlackGabumon and their unlocked lines (PLEASE NOTE: These are not just skins, they are completely different Digimon. The DLC unlocks Digimon from their lines, which includes BlackWarGreymon.)
  • Agumon Taichi and CS Protagonist costumes (PLEASE NOTE: Once you digivolve a costumed Agumon, you can never get it back. They make up for this by having the max level cap and an extra skill.)
  • Useful Item Set
  • Digital Exclusive: Character and Royal Knight themes
To get the DLC, you'll need to talk to the woman standing next to the Detective Agency's entrance in the game. She should be there starting from Chapter 2.

hTiBr00.png

Set in the near future, the line between the real and digital worlds is blurred. Logging into cyberspace is a part of everyday life and, as a result, more cyber-crimes are starting to occur. This influx of attacks is being carried out by new, dangerous programs created by hackers. Using the forms of monsters, these AIs absorb and collect every possible piece of information. The hackers call the programs, “Digimon”.

For one teenager, a harmless online chat spawns a chance encounter with a mysterious hacker. Little did this teen know, this brief meeting would lead to a digi-monumental adventure.

iEbgnTf.png

Takumi Aiba/Ami Aiba
VA: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (Takumi)/Rumi Okubo (Ami)
vV25OxN.png
GFzmCtb.png

The main character who becomes interested in rumors of hackers in EDEN. One day, after receiving an invitation from a stranger in an online chat, the teen travels to the lowest reaches of cyberspace with their friends to satisfy their curiosity.

Nokia Shiramine
VA: Megumi Han
wjl2atZ.png

A teenage girl who puts on a tough front and is quick to berate others. Despite this, she is actually a very kind, positive person who is easily frightened. She knows the protagonist from an online chatroom where they first discuss the mysterious “Digimon” programs.

Arata Sanada
VA: Daisuke Kishio
dwgylyE.png

A teenage boy who has a nasty look in his eye. Like Nokia, he meets with the protagonist in an online chatroom. He has a carefree nature and a tendency to look after others, which gives him a reputation as an older brother type figure.

Kyoko Kuremi
VA: Maaya Sakamoto
P6Ct3PP.png

The head of the Kuremi Detective Agency, which has the utmost trust of police officials and whose detectives undertake cyber-related incidents. Contrary to her appearance, Kyoko has a boyish, always cool, and dry personality. Due to certain circumstances, Kyoko takes on the protagonist as an assistant to help with her investigations.

H3kkK70.png

New Additions to the English/Chinese versions:
  • Difficulty Options
  • New Game Plus
  • Cross-Save
  • Rebalanced Gameplay

NOTE: If you are looking for a challenge in this game, I would recommend switching to Hard Mode, as Normal can get quite easy. Only switch to Hard after getting a full team.

Battle
Battles are turn-based and follow a Timeline that displays who gets the next action. The order is affected by the speed of the Digimon, as well as other factors. You can use three Digimon in battle and have up to eight Digimon in reserve.
EpOgNIo.jpg

During each action the player can choose from seven commands:
Attack: Regular attack
Skill: Use a skill
Guard: Defend (halves damage taken)
Item: Use an item
Change: Switch out battling party members with reserve members
Auto Mode: Auto battle
Escape: Flee from the battle

Skills
Each Digimon can have up to six skills equipped. At least one of these skills will be a “Special Move”, a skill unique to that Digimon that will change with digivolution. Other skills are known as “Inherited Skills”. These can be learned as the Digimon levels up and be carried across digivolution.
There is also another type of skill unique to certain Digimon known as a “Support Skill”. These skills are passive, ranging from stat buffs to healing a little every turn.
KAxrHHx.jpg

Tip: If you are looking to quickly level up, Digimon with "Platinum" in their name have a Support Skill that increases the amount of EXP earned per battle. Be careful when using this, as it can break the game's difficulty.

Type and Attribute
A Digimon’s Type is shown as a mark in the upper-left part of the stats, and its Attribute is displayed by the color of the mark. During targeting selection, good affinity is shown with a red Target Ring and bad affinity with blue. Attacks from a Type with a good affinity inflict double damage, while attacks from a Type with bad affinity only inflict half damage. Attacks that have Attributes with good affinity inflict 1.5x normal damage. If a Digimon attacks with both good Type and Attribute, they will inflict triple damage.
704lpiD.jpg

Types:
Vaccine (Teardrop) > Virus (Spiked Ball) > Data (Cube) > Vaccine
Free (Bar): No affinity

Attributes:
Water (Blue) > Fire (Red) > Plant (Green) > Water
Electric (Yellow) > Wind (Turquoise) > Earth (Brown) > Electric
Light (White) <> Dark (Purple)
Neutral (Gray): No affinity

Tokyo/EDEN
The areas in the game are split between reality and a virtual world known as "EDEN". You will be able to explore the various wards of Tokyo, as well as different parts of EDEN.
p6dC4Fh.jpg
u9zsTbf.jpg

Kuremi Detective Agency
The detective agency is your main base of operations and where you will pick up case requests by clients. These requests can be urgent and will require completion before continuing the main story. Other cases are not as important, but they can give you EXP and unique items. There are also cases you can discover from using the "Investigate" option in the DigiFarm.
RYuLqbq.jpg

Offline Colosseum
The offline Colosseum is where you can test your strength against other hackers. It is located at the arcade machines on the 4th floor of Nakano Broadway. More Cups are unlocked as the story goes along, so make sure to check back to compete in the more challenging ones.
LXIrl22.jpg

Shops
There are various shops located in Tokyo and Eden. Each shop has a specialty and will sell different kinds of items. More items will be added as the story progresses.

DigiLine
A tool for communicating with people who aren’t in the same place. You will receive messages from your friends and Digimon in your DigiFarms. Notifications will appear in the bottom right of the screen. You should reply to your messages when you receive one that needs a reply.

Dungeons
Throughout the game you will explore areas with enemy Digimon. They can take on many forms, from Kowloon to real world areas. Digimon encounters in these places are random.
7xlTTTV.jpg

Hacking Skills
As the story progresses, the protagonist will gain new hacking techniques. This can range from bypassing firewalls to becoming invisible to decreasing the enemy encounter rate. To use these skills, you may need certain Types and stages of Digimon.

Digimon Capture
When you encounter an enemy Digimon in the field, the Digimon Capture program will automatically scan it. If you accumulate 100% or more of a particular Digimon’s data, it is possible to convert that data in the DigiLab. The larger the percentage you scan, the more that will be added to the converted Digimon’s base abilities.
Tip: It is a good idea to wait for 200% (the max) before converting a Digimon.

DigiLab
The DigiLab offers a wide variety of services, including the DigiBank, DigiFarm, Mirror Dungeons, Farm Goods Store, Colosseum, and Medical Machine.
CI87qtR.jpg

DigiBank and Digivolving
In the DigiBank, you can manage who is in your party, digivolve/de-digivolve Digimon, and convert the data you’ve gained from Digimon Capture. Party size is restricted by a Memory Limit. You can get items to increase this limit throughout the game.

Digivolving returns a Digimon to Level 1, but raises their Max Level and Ability. There is more than one Digivolution route, and Digimon can digivolve into various forms written in Digivolution guides depending on the conditions met.
There are also Digimon you can get by fusing two Digimon together through DNA Digivolution.
Tip: Be careful when DNA Digivolving. When you de-digivolve you will not get both of the Digimon you used back. You will need to choose one of them.
De-digivolving will make Digimon weaker, but will increase their Max Level and Ability. Abilities affect not only the conditions for digivolving, but the maximum values of the stats you can enhance in DigiFarms. De-digivolving requires only for you to have encountered that Digimon before, there is no other restriction.
P3HWqzW.jpg

DigiFarm
When they are not being used in your party, you can leave your Digimon at the DigiFarm, a facility used to train Digimon. Digimon kept at your DigiFarm will gain experience with time. Giving instructions will result in various effects. You can select a Digimon leader who will determine the strength of those effects.
O3GC1nd.jpg

Tasks:
  • Train: Raises a Digimon’s bonus stats. The Digimon’s as well as the leader’s personality will affect which stats are increased. For example, if you have a Brainy Agumon as leader and you are looking to train a Palmon with a Fighter personality, their Intelligence and Attack will go up. If the Palmon has a Brainy personality as well, the amount of Intelligence they get will increase. There are items to change a Digimon’s personality further along in the game.
  • Develop: You can spend money to have the Digimon produce items, equipment, and farm goods.
  • Investigate: The Digimon will discover sub-quests and information.
You can also feed your Digimon on the farm. Depending on the food, you can increase Camaraderie or bonus stats.

Colosseum/Multiplayer
In the online Colosseum you can participate in ranked Digimon battles with random players around the world.

Battles have the following rules:
  • Total Party Memory must be at least 150.
  • Digimon levels are set to Lv. 50 for the battle.
  • There are time limits for inputting battle commands and completing the battle.
The Vita version also has the ability to battle locally with friends through ad-hoc multiplayer.

O8T1byB.png

More Screenshots
Bandai Namco EU Livestream #1 (Mostly intro to the story and beginning gameplay)
Bandai Namco EU Livestream #2 (Later game, system descriptions, sidequests)
Bandai Namco US Livestream (Mostly converting data into Digimon)
TGS Gameplay IGN | Polygon | GameSpot
Story Trailer (This trailer is dubbed, but the game is not.)
Gameplay Trailer
Launch Trailer

o0lW9qu.png

Q: Is _____mon in this?

A: Here is a visual list of all the Digimon in Cyber Sleuth (not including Beelzemon Blast Mode and Kerpymon (Black)). Keep in mind that some of these Digimon might be listed under their Japanese name.
Q: Are there any differences between the PS4 and Vita versions?

A: Outside of the usual advantages (higher resolution vs. portability, etc.), both versions should be mostly the same. PS4 lacks support for ad-hoc, so you will be unable to battle with friends on it.

Q: Can you name your Digimon?

A: Yes, it’s a bit hidden though. When you are in the menu, select Digimon, then Settings, then the Digimon's portrait. It will give you the keyboard to type in their name. If you are planning to raise a lot of Digimon, it is a good idea to give them names, as the loose Digivolution routes can make it hard to remember who's who.

Q: Is this like Pokémon?

A: Yes and no. Yes in the fact that this is a turn-based JRPG with monsters, no because that’s where the similarities end. The gameplay has more in common with Shin Megami Tensei/Persona titles.

Q: I thought this was supposed to be like the first Digimon World game?

A: You are either thinking of Digimon World: Re: Digitize, which has a great fan translation for the PSP version, or Digimon World: Next Order, which is set to release in Japan in March. If you have any interest in Next Order being localized, supporting Cyber Sleuth would be your best bet.

Q: I want to digivolve my Digimon, but it hit a cap before it could reach the level requirement. What’s that about?

A: De-digivolving is your best friend. Not only does it raise the level cap of a Digimon, it increases their Ability.

Q: Should I reach the level cap before digivolving my Digimon?

A: This is a case-by-case thing. Digivolving at a higher level will grant you more Ability than digivolving at a lower level. However, if the amount of experience you are getting won't get you to the level cap any time soon, it's probably better to just digivolve.

Q: What's ABI/Ability and why's that important? How do I raise it?

A: Ability affects several things including how many bonus stats a Digimon can have (The amount of bonus you can have = 50 + (ABI / 2)). While this might not seem important at the beginning, later digivolutions will, more often than not, require you to use bonus stats or have a certain amount of ABI. To raise a Digimon's ABI, you can feed it a special type of food or digivolve/de-digivolve it.

Q: I reached the level requirement but one of my Digimon's stats fall below the required stats! What do I do?

A: You will need to raise that Digimon's bonus stat to reach the requirement. To do that, go to the DigiFarm, choose a leader that matches the stat you want to increase (ie A Fighter leader will raise the Attack stat.), and use the Train option on the farm.

Q: How long is this game?

A: It took me about 72 hours to complete. Just doing the main story, you could probably beat it in ~45 hours.

Q: There is no English dub? Why?

A: Digimon is all but dead in the West, and Bandai Namco probably doesn’t want to spend more money than they have to bringing it over. If that discourages you from buying it, that’s fine, but consider that future games won’t be coming over unless we can get as many people to support this title as possible.

DigiMoji (DigiCode) Font by EDGACHI

Baliis

Hadn't been going to pick this up at launch, but the GAF hype got to me. Haven't played a digimon game I'm forever so I'm kinda excited. Loved the show as a kid so this should be some good nostalgia at the least.

Andrefpvs

Great OP! Also, thank you to everyone else who signed the petition. You made this happen :)

I will do my part and buy this game ASAP.

Zalman

I've had bad experiences with Digimon games in the past, but I used to like the show back in the day. If this is good I might pick it up later down the line.

I went back to digimon world dusk on the ds just for old time sake and this seems like a pretty structurally similar game

Good thing I enjoyed dusk

Whizkid7

Had this bad boy preordered the moment I heard it was coming west. So glad I signed that petition and for once it actually made a difference!

Now if only we could convince them to give us Re;Digitize, too...

Ultimadrago

Excited to write out fit my plans on a Digimon All-Star Team! Subbed hard. Tuesday can't come sooner!

Great job on the OT as well, Sparrow!

Jayne

Excellent OT! and fantastic choice for the title! I can't wait to play this, hopefully amazon gets my copy to me by tomorrow so I can start playing. :D

Andrefpvs

Oh yeah, I do have one question: does redeeming the pre-order/day one DLC break the game's difficulty? I hate having an unfair advantage in RPGs, but I also hate trying to force myself not to use stuff already available in my game.

If anyone knows, thank you :)

Excellent game. One of the best new RPGs in years, and something every Digimon fan should love.

And earlier today there was a great review posted at Tamer Union. The second half goes into heavy spoiler territory, but the first half is pretty safe and it really goes into a lot of what makes the game great.

The game have a lot of missable ?

I'm really looking forward to the new difficulty option...

I believe only the medals is missable. But it does nothing for the story and is only for a trophy. Also unlike the Japanese version, the western release added New Game+ which I assume you can transfer the medals over.

Having not played a digimon game before, how achievable is the platinum in this?

Other than the medals, pretty easy. Do all quests, get all digimon, etc. There is one online trophy.

bigkrev

Is the Vita firmware still fucked with the battery drain thing? I really want this, but don't want to update my firmware till they fix the battery thing, and you can't access PSN without the most recent firmware

Really can't wait for this. Hoping it does well enough for Bandai to notice there's still love for the series in the West, and maybe end up getting Next Order at some point as well.

Having not played a digimon game before, how achievable is the platinum in this?

There's a trophy for collecting all 500 medals, which would be about the most cumbersome and time consuming thing I can think of. Not only are some missable, but the majority are only obtained by gacha mechanics.

MongKey

Great OT. This will be my first OT participation :D

Sony, please update the store early, I'm all ready to throw money for this. Going to to have so much fun with the game, can't wait.

maouvin

Let's do this!
But first, winning the battle agains the PS Store tomorrow. And then, choosing male or female MC.

Nice job, OP!

RK128

Can't get this day-one for my Vita (college, backlog and money stuff to deal with :l) but will get this before the end of the month.

Really happy this got localized for western markets and I hope we all love the game :D! Have nistologa for the Digimon anime growing up, so it will be nice remembering a few of the Digimon I run across in the game :).

AyanFaust

Banned
Woo! Already ordered via Amazon. Sadly, that means I'll have to wait until Thursday, but I'm super hyped. War Greymon and Omegamon, here I come!

Yeah, since you can change their names, I decided to use "Protagonist". Would you rather have their default names?

Hmmm I feel like it's the same with Persona where yes you can change the name of the protagonists to whatever you want, but a lot of people would still go for the default 'official' name if there is one.

notaskwid

I seldom buy games day one, full price. I'm all in for this. Will wreck kids faces with my Imperialdramon Paladin mode.

Great OT!

Got my email from Bestbuy this morning that I'm ready to pickup tomorrow. So excited to play this.

Did anyone plat the import? How difficult are the trophies?

Will be downloading on the 5th if the Vita psn issues are sorted by then :)

Signed the petition when it first came up even though I don't like JRPGs simply because I felt it was my digi-duty :p

I'm a bit sad Vita isn't getting physical in EU/US because the box art is fantastic but you can't win them all.

This is basically my first JRPG other than pokemon (slow intro of persona 4 turned me off, and the small bit of story I saw wasn't really for me sadly) so I hope it's worth it!

Top Bottom