• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful - September 22

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Singles:

The Man
Run for Cover (originally written for Day & Age)

Tracklist said:
1. "Wonderful Wonderful"
2. "The Man"
3. "Rut"
4. "Life To Come"
5. "Run For Cover"
6. "Tyson vs Douglas"
7. "Some Kind Of Love"
8. "Out Of My Mind"
9. "The Calling"
10. "Have All The Songs Been Written?"

Deluxe Edition Bonus Tracks

11. "Money On Straight"
12. "The Man (Jacques Lu Cont Remix)"
13. "The Man (Duke Dumont Remix)"

Tour dates

PepperedHam

Both The Man and Run For Cover have been in constant rotation for me, love them both. Run For Cover is a damn jam.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Both The Man and Run For Cover have been in constant rotation for me, love them both. Run For Cover is a damn jam.

The Man took a few listens to click with me, but now I'm into it. Currently debating whether to listen to Run for Cover now, or wait until the album hits so I can have a fresher experience...

PepperedHam

The Man took a few listens to click with me, but now I'm into it. Currently debating whether to listen to Run for Cover now, or wait until the album hits so I can have a fresher experience...
Same for me with The Man. Initially it sounded more like something off of his last solo album but the more I listened the more I got into it as a Killers track, it's groovy as hell.

And that's the trap I always fall into with albums I'm greatly anticipating. I love that first experience of hearing the thing top to bottom for the first time but I always end up depriving myself of that because I devour the singles.

Run for Cover is infinitely catchier.

And this I agree with. I love The Man but Run For Cover is some Grade A Killers.

NateDog

I was away from the Killers for a while (think after Sam's Town) but I thought I'd give The Man a listen when I heard they were back and love it. Can't wait for the new album. Been a great year for music and doesn't look like stopping.

I really like Run for Cover, not a huge fan of The Man. I sort of want to see them for nolstagia sake but ACC in Toronto is so expensive.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Same for me with regards to The Man. I think it's because it doesn't really sound like a Killers song, but once you get over that, it's really good. Run for Cover has a much more Killers-like sound. And is also awesome.

Run For Cover sounds like a song by The Gaslight Anthem.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Need to give Battleborn another chance. But Hot Fuss, Sam's Town and Day & Age is a pretty dang great trio of albums. Day & Age might be my favorite honestly.

Solo

Both tracks so far have been great. Can't wait for the album - 5 years is too damn long! One of my favorite bands, easily.

As far as rankings for me, Sam's Town > Hot Fuss > Battle Born > Day & Age

Chindogg

Damn I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of Sam's Town and Battle Born was pretty bad but The Man and Run For Cover are fantastic.

Please don't put me to sleep like battle born.
I just want that full fledged killers album experience where every song is unskipable

SuperPac

I really liked Battle Born as well. Would've been nice to see some of those tracks make it to Rock Band. Optimistic that I'll like Wonderful Wonderful - took a few listens of "The Man" to click, but "Run For Cover" is immediately awesome.

Solo

I liked Battleborn a lot *shrugs

Pretty exciting excited for the new album.

Battle Born is great. Its highs are as high as anything they've ever done, and Runaways is up there with Mr. Brightside, When You Were Young and Read My Mind as the best single they've ever released.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Battle Born is great. Its highs are as high as anything they've ever done, and Runaways is up there with Mr. Brightside, When You Were Young and Read My Mind as the best single they've ever released.

Yup, Runaways and Miss Atomic Blonde are a couple of my favorite tracks.

Think I'm going to listen through the Killers albums today at work.

Solo

Ratsky, where did you see that Run for Cover is from D&A?

And if so.....what the hell? It's better than almost that whole album, how did it get cut?

killroy87

Run For Cover is way better than The Man, that song fucking sucks.

The chorus for Run for Cover kind of blows though, it's not catchy and isn't fun to sing along to. The transition from verse to chorus is also super clumsy. The rest of the song is good though, a really propulsive beat and good energy.

I'm somewhat surprised at all the love for Run For Cover. I mean, i like it alright, but it feels a bit generic and more like B-Side material to me. Meanwhile, The Man gets me grooving something fierce, but is receiving more mixed responses. Is it because Run For Cover sounds more like what longtime fans would expect from the band? I came to be a fan of the band a couple of years ago (thanks in large part to some of the GAF threads) and devoured their discography all at once, maybe that colors my expectations. On the other hand, my album ranking isn't that unusual.

As far as rankings for me, Sam's Town > Hot Fuss > Battle Born > Day & Age

This would pretty much be it, although #2 & #3 might switch depending on the day. With that said, i love all of their records.

killroy87

I'm somewhat surprised at all the love for Run For Cover. I mean, i like it alright, but it feels a bit generic and more like B-Side material to me. Meanwhile, The Man gets me grooving something fierce, but is receiving more mixed responses. Is it because Run For Cover sounds more like what longtime fans would expect from the band? I came to be a fan of the band a couple of years ago (thanks in large part to some of the GAF threads) and devoured their discography all at once, maybe that colors my expectations. My album ranking isn't unusual though.

I think people dig Run for Cover cuz it's pretty classic Killers. The instrumentation and verses are very Hot Fuzz, and the chorus is straight out of Sam's Town. I personally don't think they melded those two sounds together super well, but I like the song well enough. I agree though, it's b-side material (which might explain why it was cut from Day & Age.)

maxcriden

Haven't gotten to listen yet - which of their other albums do these tracks sound most similar to?

Run For Cover sounds like a song by The Gaslight Anthem.

Which isn't a bad thing.

Need to give Battleborn another chance. But Hot Fuss, Sam's Town and Day & Age is a pretty dang great trio of albums. Day & Age might be my favorite honestly.

Agreed, it is an amazing trio. You might like Sawdust, their B-side collection, also.

nayzzar

Neo Member
While Run for Cover was originally intended for day and age , the song itself wasn't actually fully completed back then. Brandon Flowers only wrote the first verse. It's just that they loved that first part so much and couldn't match it. So they shelved it. It wasn't until recently where they actually came back to the song and finished it :) :)

I think people dig Run for Cover cuz it's pretty classic Killers. The instrumentation and verses are very Hot Fuzz, and the chorus is straight out of Sam's Town. I personally don't think they melded those two sounds together super well, but I like the song well enough. I agree though, it's b-side material (which might explain why it was cut from Day & Age.)

I'm bad at verbalizing my feelings on music, but your explanation makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Balphon

While Run for Cover was originally intended for day and age , the song itself wasn't actually fully completed back then. Brandon Flowers only wrote the first verse. It's just that they loved that first part so much and couldn't match it. So they shelved it. It wasn't until recently where they actually came back to the song and finished it :) :)

I was wondering how it could have been written back then when there's a lyric referencing fake news.

daveo42

Banned
The Man is quirky and catchy. It took a few listens to realize I liked it. My roommate thinks it sounds like bad 80s Bowie. Haven't listed to Run for Cover enough to have a strong opinion on it.

Buntabox

Can't find the source right now, but I read an interview recently where Flowers said his brother would send it to him from time to time to remind him the song existed because he really loved it. Glad he did, it's my favorite by them in years.

I can not wait for this!! I will see them in Salt Lake City for sure. I'm debating on going to Vegas and seeing them 3 days earlier too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Brandon Flowers is probably my favorite male singer. I enjoy his solo stuff as well, which has some great songs.

Solo

I'm somewhat surprised at all the love for Run For Cover. I mean, i like it alright, but it feels a bit generic and more like B-Side material to me. Meanwhile, The Man gets me grooving something fierce, but is receiving more mixed responses. Is it because Run For Cover sounds more like what longtime fans would expect from the band? I came to be a fan of the band a couple of years ago (thanks in large part to some of the GAF threads) and devoured their discography all at once, maybe that colors my expectations. On the other hand, my album ranking isn't that unusual.

I love The Man just as much. It was the definition of a grower for me though.

1st listen - ehh.....
5th listen - hey, this is kinda catchy
10th listen - what a great track!
15th listen - I GOT NEWS FOR YOU BABY, YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE MANNNNN

It's a little bit different from The Killers' trademark sound, and maybe leans more towards Flowers' solo inclinations. I think maybe that's why it's not hitting for some, or is a grower for others. Run For Cover on the other hand is the trademark Killers sound, so it gets accepted and digested quickly.

Both songs are awesome.

killroy87

Brandon Flowers is probably my favorite male singer. I enjoy his solo stuff as well, which has some great songs.

His newest solo album was INCREDIBLE! Can't Deny My Love, Still Want You, and Lonely Town are all incredible, and the the album has a few other really solid tracks as well.

If any Killers fans haven't listened to The Desired Effect yet, it's well worth your time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
His newest solo album was INCREDIBLE! Can't Deny My Love, Still Want You, and Lonely Town are all incredible, and the the album has a few other really solid tracks as well.

If any Killers fans haven't listened to The Desired Effect yet, it's well worth your time.

Definitely!

Top Bottom