• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Wasn't the concept originally for a movie instead of aeries?

Yep.

519565043_AE_8729_D794289E9C98A5052CA1D84C05D78748.jpg
I genuinely don't understand why Marvel Studios would gladly sign away such a valuable property and sign it over to a woefully incompetent creative in an effort to turn it into a cheap-looking ABC series. Marvel Studios always been so keen on expanding the MCU and creating viable franchises...especially now that they're going to need to create new ones with Robert Downey JR and company's contracts being close to their expiry dates. Isn't Inhumans something they would have wanted to hold to? Instead, it seems we're now just going to get a rubbish show that's likely to wind up getting itself cancelled sooner rather than later. It's maddening.

Wasn't the concept originally for a movie instead of aeries?

Yes.

Ike Perlmutter is the head of Marvel. Kevin Feige is the head of Marvel Studios, the filmmaking division. That made Ike Kevin's boss.

Inhumans was Ike's project that he really wanted to make happen, but Kevin had no interest. There was an internal power struggle, which resulted in Ike being moved aside by Papa Disney. Kevin now reports directly to Alan Horn, the head of Walt Disney Studios, who pretty much just lets Kevin do whatever he wants as long as he keeps making all that money.

With Marvel Studios no longer under Ike's control, he then called up Jeph Loeb, the head of Marvel TV, and was like hey buddy how's it going, can I get you anything?

So here we are a couple years later. Bucked.

Korigama

Yep.

I genuinely don't understand why Marvel Studios would gladly sign away such a valuable property and sign it over to a woefully incompetent creative in an effort to turn it into a cheap-looking ABC series. Marvel Studios always been so keen on expanding the MCU and creating viable franchises...especially now that they're going to need to create new ones with Robert Downey JR and company's contracts being close to their expiry dates. Isn't Inhumans something they would have wanted to hold to? Instead, it seems we're now just going to get a rubbish show that's likely to wind up getting itself cancelled sooner rather than later.
Discussion in other topics has suggested that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios by extension never had any real interest in Inhumans. The push for that property apparently came from Ike Pearlmutter as part of his attempt to use it as a replacement for X-Men, only for no one to really be responsive to the idea up until this point.

Yep.

I genuinely don't understand why Marvel Studios would gladly sign away such a valuable property and sign it over to a woefully incompetent creative in an effort to turn it into a cheap-looking ABC series. Marvel Studios always been so keen on expanding the MCU and creating viable franchises...especially now that they're going to need to create new ones with Robert Downey JR and company's contracts being close to their expiry dates. Isn't Inhumans something they would have wanted to hold to? Instead, it seems we're now just going to get a rubbish show that's likely to wind up getting itself cancelled sooner rather than later. It's maddening.
I think if they ever changed their minds on the Inhumans property, the existence of this TV show wouldn't really stop them. They'd happily ignore it.

They've got dozens of other things they can do anyway.

Ok so I asked my friend, who had seen this, what the dumbest moment of the pilot was and here it is:

Maximus taunts Black Bolt with the fact that BB had killed their parents and immediately after he says this, we get a flashback of young Black Bolt playing with some toys next to his parents. Completely unprovoked and out of nowhere, Black Bolt just screams,

"WHY?"

And his parents both blow up. No explanation given as to why this happens, why Black Bolt yelled it, or what he was thinking.

What are the chances Disney tries to push through this and attempt a season 2 with a new showrunner?

I'm guessing pretty low, since I doubt this will do well either in box office or in TV ratings. Like hell I wouldn't even be surprised at this point if it's pulled from the air before all 8 episodes are even out. They'd do a 3rd season of Agent Carter before a 2nd season of this.

More likely they'll just salvage whatever plot thread they can and incorporate it into an arc on Agents of SHIELD.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What are the chances Disney tries to push through this and attempt a season 2 with a new showrunner?

Absolute zero. Inhumans on TV/movies is dead for at least a decade due to this pile of trash.

Matt Roush posted a fall TV preview, and while talking positively about The Gifted threw in this gem:

"Hard to believe the same company is responsible for ABC’s laughably asinine Marvel’s Inhumans, about an otherworldly family of cartoonish royals notable only for how seriously they take themselves. Few mortals will be likely to make that mistake."

Yep.

I said in another thread, had they kept it a movie, got some REAL talent behind it (writing, directing, acting), the Inhumans movie COULD'VE been Marvel Studio's X-Men. Hand-me-downing it to the TV producing team was a mistake.

I said in another thread, had they kept it a movie, got some REAL talent behind it (writing, directing, acting), the Inhumans movie COULD'VE been Marvel Studio's X-Men. Hand-me-downing it to the TV producing team was a mistake.

The problem is trying to make the Inhumans the X-Men isn't true to the source material. These characters are not comparable to the X-Men at all.

I assume he gets these jobs because he can work quickly and cheaply and get things done on time, which counts for a lot...but is it really worth it when the end result is so universally reviled and damages the brand name? Not just for Inhumans, but Iron Fist, Dexter, etc.
Good, Cheap, Fast

Pick only two.

Glass Rebel

They should just cancel the thing before more people see it. Play Agent Carter reruns in that slot until AoS comes back.

Bronx-Man

Banned
On the bright side, this will probably get canceled by January and we will never have to hear about the Inhumans in anything ever again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Aside from Agents of SHIELD, Marvel TV is quickly becoming a dumpster fire. Literally the only saving grace has been that they're filming in New York City. Iron Fist and The Defenders were on some sub-CW levels of budget squeezing. Even something like Legends of Tomorrow can afford costumes for extras and effects shots.

Inhumans looks like more of the same "fast & cheap" stuff they've been churning out recently.

Dysun

It was obvious from the moment Scott Buck was attached.

He only serves as a way to get shows made fast and cheap, with no regards to quality

Famassu

Inhumanely bad.

4/10.

Scoring, how does it work?
There's still room to go from Inhumans level of bad to The Room level of bad that is just incompetent on every level of production. Inhumans is at least somewhat competently made in some ways, even if it's not a good story.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Good" cannot be in those options. Get Out was a good and cheap movie.

Woosh.

The idea is that only two of those can apply.
It can be good and cheap, but it will take a long time to come out.
It can be good and fast, but it will be expensive.
It can be fast and cheap, but it's not going to be good.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've never read anything with Inhumans in them.

It seems I'll never watch anything with Inhumans in them either.

Woosh.

The idea is that only two of those can apply.
It can be good and cheap, but it will take a long time to come out.
It can be good and fast, but it will be expensive.
It can be fast and cheap, but it's not going to be good.

We're also talking about Scott Buck. "Good" will never be apart of anything he's involved in.

Wag

IMAX is never going to do an exclusive deal with Disney/Marvel again. lol

I'm calling it now- total ticket sales nationwide over 2 days: <5k.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Good" cannot be in those options. Get Out was a good and cheap movie.

Erm you may be correct overall but but that arguement misses the point. he said pick two. Good and fast is picking two. Good, cheap and fast is 3 and not possible based on that arguement. You'd have to argue that Get out was quickly made as well to make a proper rebuttal.

Prompto

Banned
Matt Roush posted a fall TV preview, and while talking positively about The Gifted threw in this gem:

"Hard to believe the same company is responsible for ABC’s laughably asinine Marvel’s Inhumans, about an otherworldly family of cartoonish royals notable only for how seriously they take themselves. Few mortals will be likely to make that mistake."
Wait The Gifted is actually good? I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's the case

Top Bottom