• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cardi B- Bodak Yellow now the #1 Song in America (Billboard Hot 100)

BlackJace

Posts like this are just as obnoxious. Literally a hot take.

How is what I said a hottake? I'm pointing out that this is the same thing we go through when a thread pops up about a semi-famous/famous person and a bunch of people race to post "Who?" in a bizarre attempt to downplay something as if it makes them seem superior or something.

Same shit here, no one cares if you've never heard of this person before because A) Google exists, and B) that's not the point of the thread.

Furthermore, no one cares what you think about the state of mainstream (also if something's mainstream, its actually weirder that you haven't heard anything about it) music nowadays, because, again, it's not relevant.

sqwarlock

Listened to it and gave it an honest chance. I can see why it's popular since it seems to be a continuation of the trap/Migos flow trend, but that's why I don't really like it. That style always seems so samey to my ears; it's just not a type of rap that I enjoy outside of a couple tracks.

Still, good for her on that #1 and knocking Despacito off.

Kusagari

Cardi will stick around longer than Desiigner. Panda was probably the most obvious one hit wonder in a while. Shit was basically just a meme because of how repetitive it was.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I hate the "won't somebody think of the children" mentality, but don't you think music like this normalizes aggressiveness and violent behavior? I like my dumb and sexy songs, that's ok, but maaan, this is the No1 single in america and I don't see the positive side here.

I would like to request a list of Ahasverus' favorite sexy songs.

LordKasual

Banned
One hit wonder imo. She's going to ride this song until the wheels fall off

her music career got big off of mixtapes tho

She aint. She on twitter talking about bullying aint bad cause shes been called Platano all her life and her kids gonna bully soft parents kids. AND THEN the chic was telling people stfu cause they said bullying aint cool lol.

https://imgur.com/a/QA5XE

https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/911987971661983746

https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/911988182677323777

A mother called a popular radio station and was telling her that she admires her and likes her music but she wants Cardi to tone the lyrics since younger people listen to her.. including her daughter.

Cardi " it's not my job to raise your kids plus I make adult music ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

this is why I love this chick lol

Her come up is fucking crazy; I remember her old Instagram videos when she was still stripping, and now she made it to the #1 spot

Queen Cardi
iv4mlvj1vuzn.png

source.gif

Queen Cardi indeed fam.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
How is what I said a hottake? I'm pointing out that this is the same thing we go through when a thread pops up about a semi-famous/famous person and a bunch of people race to post "Who?" in a bizarre attempt to downplay something as if it makes them seem superior or something.

Same shit here, no one cares if you've never heard of this person before because A) Google exists, and B) that's not the point of the thread.

Furthermore, no one cares what you think about the state of mainstream (also if something's mainstream, its actually weirder that you haven't heard anything about it) music nowadays, because, again, it's not relevant.

"nobody cares what you think"
"dusty in here"

Your second post at least had some substance but don't pretend that first one wasn't some driveby bullshit.

Anyway, moving on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
- Plays song on youtube
- First 10 seconds: "Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me, If you wanted to "
- Closes tab forever

The fuck? Is this mainstream music these days? That's fucking dusgusting.
Does this really sound that different to you from the stuff Missy Elliot used to make? Really now.
If you want to hear an actual bad newer rap song, just listen to the one that youtube goes to after the bodak yellow linked in the OT...

Yo Gotti - Rake It Up ft. Nicki Minaj: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrSadmwmmAs
Irredeemably boring drivel.

Therin

yay! go cardi b!

i hope she can make more hits .. bodak yellow is alright, a bit generic trap-y club beat, but i like how her unique voice comes through really strong.

royalan

Her come up is fucking crazy; I remember her old Instagram videos when she was still stripping, and now she made it to the #1 spot

Queen Cardi
iv4mlvj1vuzn.png

Yep.

At this point Bodak Yellow is played out for me, but you gotta respect the come up.

Show em how to hustle, Cardi! Congrats.

causan

Know I know I am totally out of touch, 35, but I do not understand what makes that track so popular? Is it the beat? Cause to me it sounds like a standard trap beat. Is it her delivery? Other then having a slight accent nothing extraordinary there. Her lyrics? ...nope. I just don't get it.

Ok, old man rant over. I'll go back listening to my wutang and e40 albums now.

I still remember people giving Cardi shit because of her teeth and she threw that shade to everyone " got a bag and fixed my teeth, hope you hoes know it ain't cheap"

Kusagari

... just like Kreayshawn?

Kreayshawn had one viral hit, the rest of her music was complete trash, and then Speak, the only reason Gucci Gucci was decent, got in a feud with her and she went back to being irrelevant when he wouldn't write her music.

I'd pay Cardi B good ass money to just talk to me. Like, she could just read books aloud to me, I would love that.

lightweight reluctant to search for her often, I'd become obsessed. She's amazing

Ayy good for Cardi. The song is hype and it's good to see female rappers on the come up.

The new Taylor Swift song is trasshhhhhhhhh though.

KingV

No, Kreayshawn got big from one viral hit. Her mixtapes weren't popular at all.

Also you look silly trying to call the end of an artist's career.

I mean, how many people know about Cardi B’s mixtapes really? I know about Bodak yellow, but I couldn’t name another one of her songs or the name of her mixtapes before opening this thread. That’s probably true of 99% of the people streaming her song to get it to #1. Like my wife, who likes this song and also listens to Luke Bryan.

I just know this is whack. I’m waiting for the rest of you to agree with me.... which you will, next year.

Oxn

Know I know I am totally out of touch, 35, but I do not understand what makes that track so popular? Is it the beat? Cause to me it sounds like a standard trap beat. Is it her delivery? Other then having a slight accent nothing extraordinary there. Her lyrics? ...nope. I just don't get it.

I mean taylor swift is the most popular pop star right now and she is as average as it gets, so.......

I love hip hop, but I can’t believe a song with opening lyrics of “ you can’t fuck with me” be #1

This makes no sense to me, it's basically a non sequitur

what about the lyrics "you can't fuck with me" would stop a song from being number 1 on the billboard hot 100 chart?

rambis

Banned

Her personality is probably what draws people to her most. That and it has very quotable lines for females I guess.

I mean, how many people know about Cardi B's mixtapes really? I know about Bodak yellow, but I couldn't name another one of her songs or the name of her mixtapes before opening this thread. That's probably true of 99% of the people streaming her song to get it to #1. Like my wife, who likes this song and also listens to Luke Bryan.

I just know this is whack. I'm waiting for the rest of you to agree with me.... which you will, next year.
Why would we look back on this as being wack if we like it? What are we agreeing on?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd pay Cardi B good ass money to just talk to me. Like, she could just read books aloud to me, I would love that.

lightweight reluctant to search for her often, I'd become obsessed. She's amazing
Wind of Winters audio book read by Cardi B out 2018.

I mean, how many people know about Cardi B’s mixtapes really? I know about Bodak yellow, but I couldn’t name another one of her songs or the name of her mixtapes before opening this thread. That’s probably true of 99% of the people streaming her song to get it to #1. Like my wife, who likes this song and also listens to Luke Bryan.

I just know this is whack. I’m waiting for the rest of you to agree with me.... which you will, next year.

You buggin.

Kaizer

Banned
Cardi B's comeup has risen so fast - absolutely crazy how she blew up. Song has worn me down over time and is now stuck in my head.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, how many people know about Cardi B's mixtapes really? I know about Bodak yellow, but I couldn't name another one of her songs or the name of her mixtapes before opening this thread. That's probably true of 99% of the people streaming her song to get it to #1. Like my wife, who likes this song and also listens to Luke Bryan.

I just know this is whack. I'm waiting for the rest of you to agree with me.... which you will, next year.

I can't even imagine ever being this pressed

Top Bottom