• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Malyse

well i'm on a DC kick, so maybe i'll check out:

Green Lantern: Hero's Journey
Green Lantern: Sleepers
No Man's Land

I really liked the GL books, but that's due to my relative ignorance of the character outside of the JL cartoons. Learning about characters like Adam Scott was fun. 52 omits some of the stuff from the comics, but it's a tight adaptation. No Man's Land is just great.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I really liked the GL books, but that's due to my relative ignorance of the character outside of the JL cartoons. Learning about characters like Adam Scott was fun. 52 omits some of the stuff from the comics, but it's a tight adaptation. No Man's Land is just great.

sweet. i will add NML's to my 'to listen' list.

for now i think i'm gonna take another break. did some great DC reading but will wait until JL releases in theatres before reading Darkseid War.

Fall TV is kicking up, and that eats up a ton of time.

Sandfox

We've heard that for at least 2 years though, and it seems crazy to me. If CB stores are so poorly managed that they'll lose money to get lenticular cover copies or will continually order more than they sell then my hat's off to Marvel for duping them week in and week out for years.

No Man's Land is my favorite lengthy Batman story. If you like the Batfamily it's particularly strong (with the exception of one awful Larry Hama issue which sticks out like a sore thumb).
Big Bang was one of the groups saying they were done with the incentive covers and knew there wasn't much interest at their story for the Legacy one-shot, but changed their mind at the last minute to order a ton. Stuff like this and them ordering a ton of the Fury book for no reason makes me question them.

Big Bang was one of the groups saying they were done with the incentive covers and knew there wasn't much interest at their story for the Legacy one-shot, but changed their mind at the last minute to order a ton. Stuff like this and them ordering a ton of the Fury book for no reason makes me question them.

Okay fucking first of all.

The Nick Fury ACO book? The only Marvel book in like 20 years that you could tell from the previews had a POV?

That's "no reason"?

Next.

And they were pretty clear on their reasoning of buying up Legacy: Lenticular covers move, but no one knew how bad Marvel's was until it was released.

But please, continue your crusade of "Fake News" against Big Bang lmfao

Messi

Okay fucking first of all.

The Nick Fury ACO book? The only Marvel book in like 20 years that you could tell from the previews had a POV?

That's "no reason"?

Next.

And they were pretty clear on their reasoning of buying up Legacy: Lenticular covers move, but no one knew how bad Marvel's was until it was released.

But please, continue your crusade of "Fake News" against Big Bang lmfao

That Nick Fury book was never going to sell in the quantity they ordered.

I think one of the things that made BB bump up there legacy order more than they planned to buy was that Marvel was offering a discount to American stores on legacy but weren't going to offer it to UK stores. Then they made a late decision to offer it to UK stores as well which made BB up there order, at least I'm sure thats what I read from one of there previous tweets. Also I think there plan was to go pretty big on Legacy as a proposed jumping on point for Marvel but not to order the upcoming pretty much line wide lenticular covers there bringing out soon after as those covers have been put behind minimum buying limits.

They always say sales at there store vary from a lot of other stores and I imagine it will differ in a lot of ways from stores in other countries, but I always find there marketing tweets a pretty interesting glimpse into how there shop works at least.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am always surprised that it seems that there is so much demand for Variant Covers that CBS are willing to let companies shit so much on them.

Sandfox

That Nick Fury book was never going to sell in the quantity they ordered.
Yeah, the book could've been the next Vision and it still would've been an obviously poor seller.
I am always surprised that it seems that there is so much demand for Variant Covers that CBS are willing to let companies shit so much on them.
I like looking at variants, don't feel the need to ever buy them.

Yeah, the book could've been the next Vision and it still would've been an obviously poor seller.

I like looking at variants, don't feel the need to ever buy them.

I think variants can have there place, it just goes wrong when they try and do twenty different variant covers for one issue. They should limit to one or two at the most variants for an issue. Sometimes it works well with things such as issues where a regular series artist is taking a break for a issue, so you then may have a cover from the guest artist who's doing interiors and then a variant by the main series artist to still be involved and add a sense of continuity. I think a recent example of the variants working is Mr Miracle, the main covers are stand out, eye catching art pieces in there own right to possibly draw readers in, but the variant covers have been great too and as theyve been done by Gerards actually tie into the theme/tone of the book better. I bet many people have been buying both covers as there both great covers.

Vic_Viper

I read No Man's Land for a book report in like 8th grade lol. Was really good tbh. Never read the comic event though so im not sure how it holds up compared to it. Tried to but it seemed like way too much at the time and I couldnt find where the main "event" was lol. Seemed like a really cool concept though.

Edit: Btw, when does House of M take place in regards to Bendis's Avengers/New Avengers run? Is it at the same time as the Avengers 500-503 and before the New Avengers Breakout arc?

mreddie

Tag me out.

ClriS.gif

NYCC ’17: “Harbinger Wars 2” Details Expand War to Two Front, 48-Page Issues

Valiant Comics announced their next biggest crossover event back in June in “Harbinger Wars 2” from the team of writers Matt Kindt (“X-O Manowar,” “Divinity,” “Ninjak”) and Eric Heisserer (“Secret Weapons,” screenwriter of Arrival) and artists Tomás Giorello (“X-O Manowar,” upcoming “Ninja-K”) and Raúl Allen (“Secret Weapons,” “Wrath of the Eternal Warrior”) which is set for a May 2018 debut and will feature characters from all over the Valiant Universe. Ahead of New York Comic-Con, Valiant is offering more details and the conflict is heating up.

When announced previously, it appeared that Kindt and Heisserer would be co-writing the event, however, both writers will pen separate halves of each issue, resulting in 44 pages of story per comic, two whole regular issues, for the now standard cover price of $3.99. This never before used format will detail the Harbinger world war on two separate fronts. Kindt and Giorello will detail the story of Peter Stanchek and the Renegades on the east coast, activating psiots to take on OMEN, the organization responsible for sending in HARD Corps forces to massacre Generation Zero and will see X-O Manowar making his return to Earth. Heisserer and Allen will tell the story of Livewire on the west coast as she’s forced to choose between her former US government allies, or her new team of Secret Weapons as the entire US power grid is deactivated and Bloodshot and Ninjak are sent to California to hunt her down. Over the course of the four-issue event every major player in the Valiant Universe will show up including X-O Manowar, the Harbinger Renegades, Bloodshot, Faith, Ninjak, Livewire, HARD Corps, the Secret Weapons, and dozens more all setting the stage for 2018 in the Valiant U and beyond. Every issue is also set to feature covers by JG Jones among other top artists.

“The team at Valiant has set out to make HARBINGER WARS 2 the biggest and most impactful comic book event in a generation,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. “Never before has a publisher attempted to accomplish this much within the confines of the monthly ‘event comic’ format. For one single admission price, we’re going to be giving readers twice the page count, twice the creative firepower, and twice the scale of a standard comics crossover – all while hopefully redefining expectations of what these kinds of stories can accomplish. For fans new and old, HARBINGER WARS 2 will the ultimate introduction to the Valiant Universe and its greatest characters from a truly all-star group of some of the most talented creators – Matt Kindt, Eric Heisserer, Tomás Giorello, and Raúl Allen – working anywhere in the medium today.”

Valiant is set to reveal even more details Friday October 6th at NYCC at the “Valiant Presents ‘Harbinger Wars 2′” panel featuring Heisserer, Allen, colorist Patricia Martin, “Harbinger Renegade” writer Rafer Roberts, Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons, and Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. The war begins May 2, 2018 ahead of Free Comic Book Day that Saturday.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
LEMIRE AND SORRENTINO INTRODUCE AN OTHERWORLDLY MYSTERY IN GIDEON FALLS

Image Comics is pleased to announce a suspenseful ongoing supernatural/horror series from the creative team behind Green Arrow and Old Man Logan—New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award winning writer Jeff Lemire (ROYAL CITY, DESCENDER) and critically-acclaimed artist Andrea Sorrentino —in GIDEON FALLS.

“Gideon Falls has been percolating in my brain for a long long time. A lot of the ideas have been with me for over a decade, but I just never found the right time or way to pull them together...that was until I started working with Andrea Sorrentino,” said Lemire. “Andrea and I quickly developed an incredible chemistry while working on Green Arrow and Old Man Logan. And, as much as we loved working on those books, we were dying to create something all our own too, and now we have with Gideon Falls, one of the weirdest and wildest things either of us has ever done. We are excited to be at Image and excited to be unleashing Gideon Falls with the incomparable Dave Stewart joining us on colors.”

In GIDEON FALLS, the lives of a reclusive young man obsessed with a conspiracy in the city’s trash, and a washed up Catholic Priest arriving in a small town full of dark secrets become intertwined around the mysterious legend of The Black Barn, a otherworldly building that is alleged to have appeared in both the city and the small town, throughout history, bringing death and madness in its wake.

Rural mystery and urban horror collide in this character driven meditation on obsession, mental illness and faith. The series is set to launch in March 2018.
As with all of Lemire's creator-owned stuff, I'm so in.

Are there any good comics that are set in the ocean/under the sea?
Dept. H and Low are the first things that come to mind and are heavily underwater. Snyder's The Wake as well, although I ultimately didn't think it was one of his stronger works. I suppose some Aquaman would qualify if you're into that.

Malyse

I read No Man's Land for a book report in like 8th grade lol. Was really good tbh. Never read the comic event though so im not sure how it holds up compared to it. Tried to but it seemed like way too much at the time and I couldnt find where the main "event" was lol. Seemed like a really cool concept though.

Edit: Btw, when does House of M take place in regards to Bendis's Avengers/New Avengers run? Is it at the same time as the Avengers 500-503 and before the New Avengers Breakout arc?

House of M is after Avengers Disassembled and New Avengers. Avengers Disassembled, House of M, and Civil War theoretically are a three act meta-arc. One leads to the next leads to the next.

Some Nobody

Giving Miles all the Ultimate!Peter issues for his renumbering still surprised me. It's all by Bendis but...

Even more horror from Image? In for Lemire but still...

Is that what they did? I thought they picked up with the numbering of Peter's "Spider-Man" ongoing from the 90's.

Sandfox

Malyse

Are we pretending that Saga and Paper Girls are horror now? Motor Crush? Wayward?

----

I have two weeks worth of comics to read but Schooled in Magic is such a good book series. The fact that it wildly shifts genres (magical high school to political intrigue to murder mystery) is fun as hell. And there's Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch as well.

Best horror comic is still FACE by Milligan/Fegredo. DC needs to collect it so more people can read it. Milligan in his prime was a master.

Top Bottom