• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 - First screens & info

adelante

At the recent London showcase,the main producer David Rutter, told to his guests that FIFA 13 will have 5 major improvements and we will list them bellow:

First Touch Control
One of the first things to do at FIFA 13 was to implement a more realistic ball control.Now it will be more difficult to control a receiving ball with your player.It all depends on the strength, the speed, the ball height and the technical skills of your player to achieve the control of the ball and run with it.

Player Impact
Another feature that got improved is the player impact engine.There will be no more unrealistic animations in the players challenges!The engine has been optimized and new a set of impact values ​​has been added at the hip and the upper body area.

Complete Dribble
In FIFA 12 you could dribble just by changing direction,in FIFA 13 this won’t be possible anymore!

Tactical Free-Kicks
The free-kicks got a new free kick system.Up to three players can now gather around the ball and make fun of the opponent’s defense and goalie. You can now feint a direct shot and adjust it to a player who comes off the wall. Also the defense set pieces have been improved to go with the new free kick system.For example, you can make a defensive team with more players into the wall and send out a player to block the ball.

Attacking AI
The offensive Artificial Intelligence got a huge improvement. The CPU-controlled players got better running routes and better guessing options of where you pass the ball.Also the strikers are smarter and move with the offside line of your defenders,waiting to receive the ball and run with it towards your goal post.

Beside all of these improvements,David Rutter still wants to make other upgrades to the game such as, new passing types,new shot rotation moves and new goalkeeper animations.Also the cheering animations have been adjusted to the current football atmosphere.One last thing he really wants to improve is the referee!

The graphics in FIFA 13 will also have a big update after EA Sports adopted the new Dimensional Imaging software to boost player likeness! Full article here.

pn9NL.jpg

Xmkf9.jpg

SkfS6.jpg

MH5Zn.jpg

owji5.jpg

eGSXS.jpg

Also, release date's out? http://www.gamestop.co.uk/PlayStation 3/games/12096/fifa-13

bjb

Banned
Semi-off topic but isn't the same team making Fifa also developing (or developed) the upcoming NCAA and Madden releases?

faridmon

Semi-off topic but isn't the same team making Fifa also developing (or developed) the upcoming NCAA and Madden releases?

No?

FIFA team is quite special as part of the success the franchise had was contributed the fact that dev team consists of internatinal people from all of the world. I doubt the rest of the world is intrested in making a Madden or an NHL game.

Jeff-DSA

I don't like that First Touch Control tidbit. I already think passing in FIFA 12 is a bit too messy. So many times you pass to the wrong guy and it's the game's fault, not yours. Now we're going to add in difficultly in receiving passes?

You know what I want? I want better control over characters who are receiving a pass. I HATE how it often locks you down and you can't run to a ball that's being played to you. Instead your player just waits for the ball to come, and it's often intercepted or by the time the ball gets there, the defender is already humping your hip. Let me come to the ball, or let me turn and run with it for a second before taking control. I can't believe that this would be so hard to implement.

faridmon

NoRéN;37641897 said:
Same ol' shit.

I'll buy day one.

I'm part of the problem. :(

They focused heavily on the defending in the last one which generaly worked and this year they are adapting some sort of attacking mechnism for the AI wich could result in a more dynamic offensive games.

This could be a step forward for the series.

adelante

Happy to hear improvements to the opposing AI, now I'm just hoping they've done the same with your own cpu teammates.

Edit: My bad, misread "offensive" as "opposing"! I am pleased :D

Saty

Will the impact engine improvements eliminate the bullshit foul calls of perfect tackles in Fifa 12?

Haethos

Banned
cautiously excited for the offensive AI upgrades -- i feel like i'm never on the same page as the cpu-controlled teammates :\

ksimm

Why would they fix the impact system, it's hilarious! I love watching the crazy glitches on youtube.

VanWinkle

Do they actually have grass on the fields now? I didn't know if those screens were actually representative of it or what. I haven't even played a single football or soccer game this generation (except FIFA for Vita), but I assumed we weren't at that point yet.

Why would they fix the impact system, it's hilarious! I love watching the crazy glitches on youtube.

No more of this:

Pevp2.jpg

Seriously though, it's important that it gets fixed cause some times your players would get immobilized.

I also hope they fix defending -.-

adelante

Do they actually have grass on the fields now? I didn't know if those screens were actually representative of it or what. I haven't even played a single football or soccer game this generation (except FIFA for Vita), but I assumed we weren't at that point yet.

The games do have grass I think, they only show up in certain cutscenes and in user-controlled replays. But they're nowhere near the quality of NCAA12, that's for sure. Wonder if its a graphics budget thing....

Messi

Boast about player likenesses use picture featuring generic marcello face :/ . At least it looks like alexis Sanchez got modelled from the blurry screen.

elsk

Banned
The games do have grass I think, they only show up in certain cutscenes and in user-controlled replays. But they're nowhere near the quality of NCAA12, that's for sure. Wonder if its a graphics budget thing....

The whole graphic department of the game is lacking. I hope they can make a better effort in the next gen version. Could you post a screen/video of the grass in the NCAA?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
did they get rid of the rubberbanding?

It's no fun being in control of a match only to see the AI flip a switch, become impossible to tackle and then score because some asshole decided that would make the game fun.

and while we're at it, remove the documentary about Rooney every time I start the game. it takes like 2 minutes just to get to the start screen. ridiculous.

adelante

I hope they make the career mode bigger and better. Also, ADD MORE LEAGUES.
While they've improved Career Mode tons in FIFA12, I do hope they've done more significant work there this year. And I can't state this enough but the game REAAAALLY could use an overhaul in the their UI....ESPECIALLY the formation screen.

What? You also like the old defending system I guess.

Seriously... you guy don't like penalty systems that actually requires skill or something?

NoRéN

They focused heavily on the defending in the last one which generaly worked and this year they are adapting some sort of attacking mechnism for the AI wich could result in a more dynamic offensive games.

This could be a step forward for the series.

The defending took me quite some time to get used to but I learned to love it.

The one area I have not been able to get used to anymore is free kicks.

FIFA 11's defending system sucked. Try going back to FIFA 11 and play it. It is terrible.
I tried. FIFA 11 defending is terrible compare to 12. Can't ever go back to the old system.

elsk

Banned
It's no fun being in control of a match only to see the AI flip a switch, become impossible to tackle and then score because some asshole decided that would make the game fun.

Yeah, that always happens when you are winning with a one goal difference against the CPU. Almost impossible to stop them.

The new defending system is plain amazing, the best thing they have introduced in a long time. Penalties are good too.

I feel your are penalized way too much if you miss a tackle, which means you won't risk it as often, which means it's easier for players to just walk the entire field and eventually find an opening.

I have no problems with the penalties.

NHale

The whole graphic department of the game is lacking. I hope they can make a better effort in the next gen version. Could you post a screen/video of the grass in the NCAA?

NCAA only has grass in cutscenes/replays. During gameplay is still a ugly texture that looks even worse than FIFA's grass texture. What I don't understand is that 2010 FIFA World Cup had better grass than FIFA 12...

iNvid02

NoRéN;37641897 said:
Same ol' shit.

I'll buy day one.

I'm part of the problem. :(

Yep, but I have to admit most times the new release is a decent update, it's
Not like the FIFA team is cashing it in (euro expansion excluded).

So I'm happy to pay £20 each year for something I get hours and hours
Of enjoyment out of

elsk

Banned
I feel your are penalized way too much if you miss a tackle, which means you won't risk it as often, which means it's easier for players to just walk the entire field and eventually find an opening.

kind of how football works in real life.

Please hardcode the tactical defending. Stop making the game more the realistic but then allowing players to revert to the old ways.

Make the stats more visable on the pitch. EA have always struggled with this!

NoRéN

NCAA only has grass in cutscenes/replays. During gameplay is still a ugly texture that looks even worse than FIFA's grass texture. What I don't understand is that 2010 FIFA World Cup had better grass than FIFA 12...

That was just such a great game all around.

elsk

Banned
Unless we can control the length of the grass to give out team an edge against a speedier team, I'm not that concerned about the grass.

There are a lot of things the developers don't announce or admit to have done, like the "momentum" thing, AI being amazing in the last minutes of the game and I believe (my opinion) there are stadiums where the ball plays faster in the game.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing, they need to normalize online teams.

The online play has been broken since its inception because everyone just picks one of the big 5. I should be able to pick the worst teams and still be competitive online.

elsk

Banned
NoRéN;37642529 said:
That was just such a great game all around.

I liked it in the graphic department, but everything else was too arcade-y. A lot of mediocre players where like gods in the game, making goals from the other side of the pitch, etc.

Another thing, they need to normalize online teams.

The online play has been broken since its inception because everyone just picks one of the big 5. I should be able to pick the worst teams and still be competitive online.

IF you pick a one star team, the system will try to find another 1 star opponent.

Top Bottom