• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

I hate you guys.
steve randomed invoker the other day, went quas wex, only casted emp, tornado, cold snap. was super effective! Never even died because of quas regen.
Doesn't make it good! I just watched Procarbine, Gdeciever, Astroboy and Thorin lose to a Sange Yasha Bounty Hunter, doesn't make that build good though.

Sanjay

thank god you're OK.

I took a picture, have no idea why he has a mobile, very suspicious fella. Be careful if you see this guy in Paris.
thugthc6q.jpg

Hylian7

Weaver's supposed to be hard to play? Can't believe Skeleton King isn't 1 1 1 1 1 1.

Skeleton King isn't 1 1 1 1 1 1 because he's a carry. People shouldn't begin playing as him, even though he's ridiculously easy. Just starting playing Dota in general you shouldn't play carries because you need to play someone where dying isn't so costly, because you have to learn the ropes and how to stay alive.

Ultrabum

I meant more so that invoker is Op, not difficult to play. Yet ppl consistently list him as the hardest hero. I think its more so that he is hard to play to full potential, but easy to play in general because he lanes so well.

Sanjay

I meant more so that invoker is Op, not difficult to play. Yet ppl consistently list him as the hardest hero. I think its more so that he is hard to play to full potential, but easy to play in general because he lanes so well.

If you cant play up to Dendi's Invoker standard then your considered trash.

What really irritates me is seeing invokers do the exort build, but not start out with quas/wex still.

There is no advantage in pumping up exort before you go 1101. I have seen invokers die to ganks before level 5 because they don't have ice path, or not being able to unstealth people because they don't have 'nado or catch them going around corners.

SamVimes

What really irritates me is seeing invokers do the exort build, but not start out with quas/wex still.

There is no advantage in pumping up exort before you go 1101. I have seen invokers die to ganks before level 5 because they don't have ice path, or not being able to unstealth people because they don't have 'nado or catch them going around corners.
Exort makes you last hit and harass like a boss, most exort-quas build since the buff to sunstrike at level 3 are two points on exort and one on invoke.

Swag

Although I haven't tried Exort invoker yet, I feel like it's still not effective as Wex / Quas, pretty much just for those that aren't able to time their Tornado's / EMP casts. The movement speed bonuses from Wex and how that contributes to late Early Game / early mid game ganks is just amazing. This is of course different for competitive environments where you can co-ordinate Sun Strikes a lot better.

That being said, I've seen people make it work amazingly well, use a Eul's to guarantee a Sun Strike hit then follow up with Deafening / Meteor, but I don't have the same problems dealing with Exort Invoker that I did with Wex Invoker. Those problems are now dominated by Lone Druids.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looking at a list of orbs interaction for Dota 2, I didn't know you could life steal with Tidebringer if you have a Vlad's/SK Aura. I thought it counted as a spell/cleave.

Also, Spirit Breaker's Greater Bash doesn't work on Magic Immune units at all, but the other Melee bashes do.

Oh, the extra damage from MKB's mini bash works on Towers (Does 50 damage instead of 100 though)

Sibylus

Banned
Nice to see some Axe play in competitive after the 6.73 changes (and the accompanying neccessaryyetannoyingasfuck battle hunger buff).

Guesong

After months of exile in WoW, HoNGAF's Thorinbei is back in the MOBA genre!

And the very first thing I witness from him in DoTA2 is a classical Thorinbei trashtalk backfire.

>_> Poor thor (and gd and Ikuu and chair)

kagete

LOL at least he stays to hear the backlash. I don't like people that can only talk shit once they're in the lead or when the game ends. At least lay your bets down before you roll the dice. It's more fun that way.

That being said, he's currently terrible in dota2 and is clearly frustrated without me to carry him.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LOL at least he stays to hear the backlash. I don't like people that can only talk shit once they're in the lead or when the game ends. At least lay your bets down before you roll the dice. It's more fun that way.

That being said, he's currently terrible in dota2 and is clearly frustrated without me to carry him.

You know he's dumpster tier when I can carry him.

Swag

Also, Spirit Breaker's Greater Bash doesn't work on Magic Immune units at all, but the other Melee bashes do.
It used to in Dota 1, not sure why that behaves that way, cause FV bash is also magical. Interestingly enough, if a Spiritbreaker attacks a Tidehunter that has a BKB up the Greater Bash animations will trigger but nothing will happen, in comparison to other heroes this doesn't occur.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
After months of exile in WoW, HoNGAF's Thorinbei is back in the MOBA genre!

And the very first thing I witness from him in DoTA2 is a classical Thorinbei trashtalk backfire.

>_> Poor thor (and gd and Ikuu and chair)

That game was awful, usual GAF tradition of stomping early and then throwing.

Sibylus

Banned
Damn, EG kicks the front door in in 15 minutes. Not over yet, but very impressive strategy and play from the radiant thus far.

Sibylus

Banned
Give those two creeps a state funeral. EG winning on strategic scales, Na'Vi winning on tactical scales. They could still mount a comeback, but time might be thoroughly in EG's corner now.

Sanjay

So run and die. See Navi wining this as EG just get to the moment where you fight, then they all run and die so why bother.

This seems to me like EG had the semblance of a good strategy that they hadn't quite tested out fully against a really good team. It got to the late game, they played sloppy as they often do, and threw it on the ground. Very painful to watch, particularly the ineffectual Enigma with about 1 good black hole in the whole game.

Sibylus

Banned
Enigma seemed way too timid with Black Hole, and at times made some pretty huge mistakes (such as forgetting to activate his BKB before dropping the ult, or ulting creeps). Tinker had to stay alive and keep his mana up to successfully chain-sheep Antimage and turn on the rest of Na'Vi, but EG seemingly were all on different pages. Antimage was often jumped on first, even though swapping and killing off someone like a Sand King or Puck would have probably been a better move, as Na'Vi would have had to jump into the fight with a big ultimate off the table. EG couldn't kill AM quickly enough to justify pumping all their damage into him first, Na'Vi had time enough to form up and counter-initiate.

Volodja

Played my first game as a non-support or support/ganker with Outworld Destroyer and I sucked so much it pained me physically.
Went 14-10-14 but just because my team did well and I could shower everything that was in range with pain, even if I ended up being killed far too often.

I kind of had an idea of what to do with him but I just blanked out for 50 minutes.
I knew I wanted a force staff first and then go sheepstick but for some reason I forgot that I should have taken a couple null talismans early and treads kept on strenght because I was made of paper so I ended up buying those far too late and I was too scared of going around because I died at an alarming speed.
The laning was particularly atrocious, very few last hits and the Shadow Fiend I was against was stomping me, partially because I really don't know how to play mid and partially because I really don't know how to play period.
I was lucky that my team carried me and I still could be pretty damn scary because of the damage that I was dealing as soon as I got a few +int stuff even if I didn't employ my abilities and items effectively .

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
When you are mid, keep control of runes. Or try to at the very least. As for OD, make sure you spam your banish when you want a last hit. Plus it fucks up the int on the enemy early on.

The thing with OD is that he can be pretty squishy. SF hits pretty hard all the time, so you gotta take the safe bets with last hits.

Volodja

When you are mid, keep control of runes. Or try to at the very least. As for OD, make sure you spam your banish when you want a last hit. Plus it fucks up the int on the enemy early on.

The thing with OD is that he can be pretty squishy. SF hits pretty hard all the time, so you gotta take the safe bets with last hits.
The problem was that there were no wards at all and I was already getting so little farm because of my bad timing so I just couldn't manage to convince myself to go and check the runes myself. As for banishment I was keeping it up but the timing for the last hits was so awful on my part that coordinating it with also getting banishment off was overwhelming.
I really suck.
Especially with farm dependant heroes.

It didn't help that SF can indeed pack a punch and he was good enough with the denies and with harrassing me to cause me trouble and making me fear getting too much near his side of the river.
Maybe I could have taken an earlier Arcane Orb to start punishing him harder if he was to ever try too hard to hit me?

n0b

The problem was that there were no wards at all and I was already getting so little farm because of my bad timing so I just couldn't manage to convince myself to go and check the runes myself. As for banishment I was keeping it up but the timing for the last hits was so awful on my part that coordinating it with also getting banishment off was overwhelming.
I really suck.
Especially with farm dependant heroes.

It didn't help that SF can indeed pack a punch and he was good enough with the denies and with harrassing me to cause me trouble and making me fear getting too much near his side of the river.
Maybe I could have taken an earlier Arcane Orb to start punishing him harder if he was to ever try too hard to hit me?

OD shouldn't be checking runes anyway, he isn't really an early game ganker, it works best if there is a roamer or somebody in the sidelanes checking for runes and utilizing them. You should get one level of arcane orb after your banish and passive, but then not again until those are maxed and you have a level in your ult. It simply costs too much mana and isn't all that great until your passive and mana pool can keep up. For squishyness you should invest into a rod of atos; its pretty much designed for OD and Silencer. With an atos/force/treads OD can easily be active with his team as well as farm up the rest of his items fast.

Against an SF mid you should be banishing him as much as possible because he won't be able to use razes, if you can time them in order to deny him xp and gold, thats great, but just stealing int from an SF can screw them over.

Tenck

Skeleton King isn't 1 1 1 1 1 1 because he's a carry. People shouldn't begin playing as him, even though he's ridiculously easy. Just starting playing Dota in general you shouldn't play carries because you need to play someone where dying isn't so costly, because you have to learn the ropes and how to stay alive.

I don't know about that. I could not play Support classes and went straight to carry classes. Went Riki first then Dragon Knight. Haven't looked back since I've been having so much fun with playing tough classes. I've even done the mico managing classes (brood enchatress Chen) and have done decent.

Deadly

Talking about micro-managing heroes. Does anyone ever get a problem where they have everything selected but then suddenly it un-selects something? It constantly happens to me when I control my wolves as Lycan. Sometimes he just stops or I'm missing a wolf.

RS4-

Apparently I need to give Warlock a shot.

I thought Juggernaut needed farm out the nose to do well? Maybe I should go back to him.

I've had some really good games with Warlock, probably my new favorite hero atm.

edit - pretty bad when you have auto attack set to off; golems don't attack lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom