• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

This game is certainly better than Hearthstone by miles. I feel like I'm making a good investment on it.

I cant stand Hearthstone anymore. Love the presentation, but there are so many new cards and it feels like a mess to me, and god do I hate the RNG.

What I really love about Gwent is the art style, universe, and the thoughtfulness of playing the cards... I hope it can continue without feeling like Hearthstone's mess.

Nilfgaard is an amazing addition and the factions really feel unique. Im sure if it sticks around as long as HS, it will start to jump the shark too, but it's so refreshing to play Gwent.

I just wish Magic was as successful in the online space. I love card games

The most important change

Qt24mSA.jpg

Sorian

Banned
The troll is the most obnoxious thing ever. I hate going into the screen for spending ore because he won't shut the hell up.

frontovik

Banned
What I really love about Gwent is the art style, universe, and the thoughtfulness of playing the cards... I hope it can continue without feeling like Hearthstone's mess.
I feel the same way. The Witcher universe has that distinct charm of a low-fantasy 15th century European atmosphere. It's quite unique.

The troll is the most obnoxious thing ever. I hate going into the screen for spending ore because he won't shut the hell up.
Yeah, I thought the rock trolls were 'amusing' at first, but now they're just obnoxious. CDPR should switch it up with a different vendor.

How can you guys not like Shoop? "Glitter rocks good, gwenty cards better!" is so endearing :D

Also I opened my 20 kegs and no premiums whatsoever, so I assume they didn't fix the drop rates with them :(

Why did they add this garbage emote system? Just a new thing for me not to GG for, constant emote spamming.

Man I love everything about the troll. He's freaking adorable. I hope they give him a ton of more lines

And I love the taunts too. Just mute them. I want more voice lines.

Gotta say my hellos and apologies

Mannn.

Ive been wanting to play Horizon, but I feel like I need to go back and finish Witcher. I got tired of it and gave up, but I barely scratched the 3rd map (Skellige I think).

I sold the game, but now Im thinking I should repurchase it. Gwent has really gotten me in the mood.

JustinBB7

Game so buggy. Crashes, more loading screens, cards bugging out. And since it's released on Friday night, I doubt it will be fixed any time soon.

Sorian

Banned
Game so buggy. Crashes, more loading screens, cards bugging out. And since it's released on Friday night, I doubt it will be fixed any time soon.

Had none of these issues during the three hours I played after patch. Did you update gwent tracker yet? That always messes things up if they are mismatched versions.

JustinBB7

Had none of these issues during the three hours I played after patch. Did you update gwent tracker yet? That always messes things up if they are mismatched versions.

Don't use decktracker, and see tons of people on discord/reddit having problems as well.

Jadax

I haven't played in a few weeks, but the game seems to have changed a lot since. Especially annoying since now I seem to be missing a lot of cards from decks people are running.

Oh well, start from the bottom again.

frontovik

Banned
So what's everyone thoughts on the 1st round? It's my understanding it could be a throwaway round if you want the card advantage, but you'll end up in deep waters if your play doesn't work out. Sounds too risky for me.

Also, I fought against a NR deck with Henset/Margarita/PFI/Siege Towers combo .. that was absolute bonkers. It was just as bad against SK Morkvarg deck.

So what's everyone thoughts on the 1st round? It's my understanding it could be a throwaway round if you want the card advantage, but you'll end up in deep waters if your play doesn't work out. Sounds too risky for me.

Also, I fought against a NR deck with Henset/Margarita/PFI/Siege Towers combo .. that was absolute bonkers. It was just as bad against SK Morkvarg deck.

Henselt/Margarita decks literally did not change at all between this patch and before. If anything it was nerfed slightly since they were the only decks that ever used old Dijkstra. Not to mention the new abundance of locking means if you lock down Margarita or the towers they don't have much strength.

Plus, early on I think people are more interested in testing out their big number combos and maybe using less control as they normally would.

JustinBB7

Been playing swims NR's deck. It's a pretty standard old school deck actually. Return of Baron, Yen and Foltest. It's pretty basic but have to play around Gigni with the siege row, fucked up few times there because I had no buffer. Also not drawing Baron and Dandelion is a bit awkward. But fun to play.

Also my collection is almost complete. 22 cards left I believe, and I have 2k scraps. Had 3k+ scraps but crafted a bunch of 200 scrap cards because why not. Guessing we won't really get anything new for another month, and then we might be at open beta/wipe time so I'll have a full collection by then most likely.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
how much has this changed since the start of the beta? i gave up on it and would like to get back into it. not been following it much. any word when it's coming out of beta?

frontovik

Banned
Are there certain decks that you fellows just don't play?

I can't stand SK or Monsters deck, as their playing style is too wasteful or cheap respectively for my tastes.

Sorian

Banned
I probably play NR, the least at this point. It's a good beginners faction but there is no depth to it anymore. Especially after some nerfs.

hoggert

I never played NR, just never appealed to me. I started out while I was still F2P as SK, but the discard/revive mechanics (at the time mind you) felt super cheesy so I gravitated towards the other factions.

I haven't been playing much since the NG patch thou. Being a YenCon/Borkh guinea pig got to me eventually lol

I started with Northern Realms and have tried to stick with it, but agree with Sorian they've lost a lot of depth since the start of beta. There were so many interesting mechanics that got nerfed, then the card would go unused and then they'd just try to buff the base strength to try to add value back. But you still end up with a faction full of cards that don't have any meaningful interactions with each other.

JustinBB7

I play all factions, ST the least since I miss the most cards for them (even with an almost full collection).

Lately been playing mostly Skellige and Nilfgaard, when I started I played NR and Monsters most. Now patch is out, I'm just messing around with different things.

So, seeing a lot of Henselt decks today. I've been playing my own Foltest deck that basically revolves around just recycling Blue Stripe Commandos, and since these Henselt decks tend to be pretty formulaic I've had good luck in stopping them.

I'm losing too many damn matches because my video card has been failing on me the last two months. Sometimes it goes days without problems, sometimes it hard crashes my system within 10 minutes of gaming. And its likely at least a month until AMD's new line of graphics cards release.

Velkyn

Playing this on-and-off, it's honestly delightful. I'd love a portable version but obviously it's better if what's there is perfected first. I peaced out of Hearthstone after paying for a few adventures. The cards started getting real dumb when Whispers hit.

Sorian

Banned
Found myself absolutely bored with the game today, that would just be that I'm so hyped on persona 5 that everything else is just schlock but I think I'm just really hating the locking gameplay and the meta that is growing from it.

Found myself absolutely bored with the game today, that would just be that I'm so hyped on persona 5 that everything else is just schlock but I think I'm just really hating the locking gameplay and the meta that is growing from it.

I've only played a bit since the new positioning patch (been busy with other personal stuff) but yeah I haven't found myself enjoying it very much.

I've been wanting to pick up Persona 5 since I heard the Japanese reviews were good, almost asked my wife to pick up a copy while she was in Tokyo. I asked around in the import thread about how likely it was going to have anything significant censored and the answer I got then was "nah you're good" so I hope that remains true for the US launch. Probably still not going to get around to it any time soon though :(

By the way, did you ever get a reply from ESL about the Challenger tourney? I created an ESL account the day I got the email but never got a reply from ESL that was supposed to have my link to confirm my registration.

JustinBB7

The botched hotfix from yesterday is now live. Game should be more stable now and Henselt is now 7 units in a row, promote 3 in a row.

Also PS4 tech beta this weekend.

Sure are busy at CDPR! I'm actually liking the update a lot now. Only thing I don't like is the constant locking yea. It's very anti-fun. I was playing axemen, I played 2 and ocvist or something, and ALL 3 OF THEM GOT LOCKED. That was at the beginning and I'm seeing less locks now luckily. But I also moved to ST for the first time. And man that deck is so fun to play and pretty OP. Almost nothing to lock (only roach gets locked) because of all the traps.

Though it's annoying to play against, so I'm still playing casual for now. My rank is staying pretty steady around 500 now that there is no incentive to play ranked anymore after the rigged tournament.

Ambush is probably the next thing to be looked at. If CDPR was so insistent about not having cards with no counter play then the idea of buffed ambush units that you can't do anything about is completely out of line with their philosophy. If you make the assumption that the drawback of ambush cards is that they have no value if they're not triggered then they'd have to look at Ciaran, Toruvial, and Schirru since the former two are guaranteed to trigger at the end of the round, and Schirru can be triggered by the owner playing a special so that's basically a guarantee.

Sorian

Banned
I've only played a bit since the new positioning patch (been busy with other personal stuff) but yeah I haven't found myself enjoying it very much.

I've been wanting to pick up Persona 5 since I heard the Japanese reviews were good, almost asked my wife to pick up a copy while she was in Tokyo. I asked around in the import thread about how likely it was going to have anything significant censored and the answer I got then was "nah you're good" so I hope that remains true for the US launch. Probably still not going to get around to it any time soon though :(

By the way, did you ever get a reply from ESL about the Challenger tourney? I created an ESL account the day I got the email but never got a reply from ESL that was supposed to have my link to confirm my registration.

They confirmed my registration like a day or two after I signed up on their site. You did sign in to the tournament right?

Sorian

Banned
Had to post this somewhere for the absurdity of it. So I haven't been doing ranked much. My only goal at this point is top 100 so I just kind of sand bag until I see that I'm number 95+ and then I go play a ranked match, hopefully win and then retire for another week or so. Today I noticed I was at 97 while I was doing my dailies so sure, let's go torment myself in ranked. Vs. Henselt, the new cancer so whatever. He throws down one of the towers that gains strength for each gold, I'm about to thunder it but decide to throw down isengrim instead for the free unit next turn when I thunder. He then tosses down stennis on my side, debated passing but my deck is built to thin round 1 anyway so I thunder as planned, he then passes, as do I and we go into round 2. He draws his two cards...... and immediately forfeits. I can't even imagine what he would have been fishing for that was so important but he was rank 60 something, seems so wasteful to play around a specific card that if you can't draw it, it's over.

In other news, scoia continues to be the broken deck each meta. Toying with an ambush control deck, I only lose if I get shafted on gold card draws early on. Assuming I get a couple in my opening hand, I usually win easy and thin my deck down to 0-2 cards left by the end of the game.

Had to post this somewhere for the absurdity of it. So I haven't been doing ranked much. My only goal at this point is top 100 so I just kind of sand bag until I see that I'm number 95+ and then I go play a ranked match, hopefully win and then retire for another week or so. Today I noticed I was at 97 while I was doing my dailies so sure, let's go torment myself in ranked. Vs. Henselt, the new cancer so whatever. He throws down one of the towers that gains strength for each gold, I'm about to thunder it but decide to throw down isengrim instead for the free unit next turn when I thunder. He then tosses down stennis on my side, debated passing but my deck is built to thin round 1 anyway so I thunder as planned, he then passes, as do I and we go into round 2. He draws his two cards...... and immediately forfeits. I can't even imagine what he would have been fishing for that was so important but he was rank 60 something, seems so wasteful to play around a specific card that if you can't draw it, it's over.

In other news, scoia continues to be the broken deck each meta. Toying with an ambush control deck, I only lose if I get shafted on gold card draws early on. Assuming I get a couple in my opening hand, I usually win easy and thin my deck down to 0-2 cards left by the end of the game.

Deck lists please. :) I've been busy and could use some help quickly identifying the meta decks this patch.

That's kind of NR in a nutshell though. Northern Realms doesn't have a lot of good combo opportunities, so if you don't have the specific cards you need to get your combo started you're kind of screwed.

Sorian

Banned
Seconding this. Been out of the game lil bit need a refresher -- I like low tier but fun and also super competitive decks. Anyone got any suggestions?

Swim has come up with a lot of garbage this patch but this one is probably the best one.

Weather Wounding

It's pretty easy to counter if someone is running heavy on locks and/or removal but when it works, it works really well and definitely has a fun strategy aspect to it. It's biggest downside is that you'll consistently be left with 10 or so cards in your deck so each match will be wildly different in terms of the tools you have available.

Swim has come up with a lot of garbage this patch but this one is probably the best one.

Weather Wounding

It's pretty easy to counter if someone is running heavy on locks and/or removal but when it works, it works really well and definitely has a fun strategy aspect to it. It's biggest downside is that you'll consistently be left with 10 or so cards in your deck so each match will be wildly different in terms of the tools you have available.

I've run into this deck a few times and its the one that gives me the most trouble. I'm running a Foltest deck mostly based around pulling out Blue Stripe Commandos and constantly recycling them out of the graveyard to buff each other up. Since this deck runs those two Frosts I tend to have a lot of problems.

That said, Blueboy Lugos/Spectral Whale needs to be brought in line with the rest of the positioning update. No reason why that card would get to remove from an entire row when everything else gets that removed. Card should also probably have a timer.

Not sure why they buffed the whale to stay on the board instead of losing strength. It's not that it was bad, its just that others silvers were too good.

Also the frost bears seem kind of wacky at 11 strength with immunity

Top Bottom