• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Mario Kart 7 screens, trailer, and Iwata asks

Michan

I love how they've stuck to classic Mario Kart items, too... with just a couple of the best recent additions and two fair-looking new items. Not so sure about the gimmicky 7, though.

Sianos

A bit sad Dry Bones and Waluigi didn't make it in, although its balanced out by there being no babies or awkward clones and the original eight returning.

Hope Block Fort returns: it's indisputably the best battle stage. Indisputably!

XxCGSxX

Was it possible on Mario Kart Wii to invite a friend and search for other players to fill up the other slots? I can't remember. And will it be possible to do that on MK7? I sure hope we can.

Michan

NSQuote said:
A bit sad Dry Bones and Waluigi didn't make it in, although its balanced out by there being no babies or awkward clones and the original eight returning.

I don't see why Block Fort wouldn't return, as Nintendo seems fixated on making this the best Mario Kart yet.

And Waluigi could show up! There are two more locked characters, although looking at recent Mario Karts, they're likely to be completely unexpected. Maybe we'll get Mr. Game & Watch or WW Link.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Blockfort alone on the N64 was better than all the other versions' arenas put together.

Double Dash's Battle Mode was a joke, it was dumbed dumbed down.

All I want on the 3DS mode is free-for-all and ONE arena as cool as Blockfort.

hated the blockfort because you cant see where the kars are without the map, i like that in the snes you could always see see where the opponent was.

Bluemercury said:
hated the blockfort because you cant see where the kars are without the map, i like that in the snes you could always see see where the opponent was.

I didn't use the map, I just followed them like a bitter ex-girlfriend or looked at their half of the screen, seems the color codedness suited that well.

Michan

Bluemercury said:
That's partly what made it fun, though. You could stalk and sneak up on opponents, surprising them with a direct hit. Diddy Kong Racing took this even further with Icicle Pyramid, which was just brilliant.

NSQuote said:

What.

Waluigi is my main and Dry Bones my second favorite. We can't lose them! D:

...and we have Waluigi Pinball as a track, not having him in the game is impossible.

Sianos

Michan said:
I don't see why Block Fort wouldn't return, as Nintendo seems fixated on making this the best Mario Kart yet.

And Waluigi could show up! There are two more locked characters, although looking at recent Mario Karts, they're likely to be completely unexpected. Maybe we'll get Mr. Game & Watch or WW Link.
Wasn't Block Fort in DS?

It's confirmed 12 returning characters, so sadly those two didn't make the cut. After (the greatness) of ROB I have no idea what to expect: hopefully its not another Funky Kong.

The seven doesn't look that bad: the star and red shell seem like the only threatening items. Mushroom could help, and the other four have their niches but aren't that great.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I use either Wario, or Yoshi depending on the game. Mario Kart 64, Wario is godly, but I can't play with him on DS / Wii variants. At least we'll have online battle mode now for him!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I didn't use the map, I just followed them like a bitter ex-girlfriend or looked at their half of the screen, seems the color codedness suited that well.

lets not forget about the shell physics, in the snes they had to "turn" like a normal vehicle would, unlike say the n64 version where shells made 90 degree curves...so it was much harder to avoid them...

Bluemercury said:
lets not forget about the shell physics, in the snes they had to "turn" like a normal vehicle would, unlike say the n64 version where shells made 90 degree curves...so it was much harder to avoid them...

I'm just speaking about the arena designs really.

The N64 had two very good ones(one GREAT one).

The others...............................~farts~

Of course racing for me was better in most of the other ones but I'm a Battle Mode whore so when they announce that this one will be team-only, I'll fart diarrhea.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Sadly, some of the oft railed against features are back as well, the blue shell in particular. This time, it travels along the ground like in the N64 version, blowing away everything in its path in pursuit of the lead driver. In its final approach, it flies up as in the more recent Kart games, dropping down in an explosion. This incarnation is especially evil. In one of my races, I was hit from behind while in third place. The first two drivers then crossed the finish line while the shell was in its airborne stage. The shell then reversed course in mid-air and came back to hit me again.

f831c.jpg

Best of both worlds. I missed the blue shell traveling the course. Made it much more fun. And having it explode still makes it extremely difficult (if not impossible now) to dodge it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
NSQuote said:
They could just be hidden unlockables.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gravijah said:
mario kart 3ds IS a mainline game
Given how they call it 7 and it being the 7th Mario Kart game, wouldn't that make every Mario Kart a mainline game?

Edit: Excluding the Arcade titles, of course.

Javier

I think there will be more characters besides the returning 12, the 2 revealed newcomers and the two secret ones. Maybe those 16 are just the starting roster. I find it hard to believe they'll bring back Waluigi Pinball and not Waluigi. I also doubt the final roster is 16 characters since that number isn't divisible by 3, and I'm guessing they're still going for equal amount of light, middle, and heavyweights.

As for surprise WTF newcomer, I'm guessing a WarioWare character. Mona maybe?

If ROB and Funky Kong are fair game, I don't see why not.

I still think Metal Mario is a waste of a character slot when it would make more sense to have the Metal Box/Cap as an item and introduce an actual character as a new racer, but I can't complain too much when the rest of the game looks so fantastic (and Rosalina, the only character that matters, is already confirmed as returning).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Javier said:
I think there will be more characters besides the returning 12, the 2 revealed newcomers and the two secret ones. Maybe those 16 are just the starting roster. I find it hard to believe they'll bring back Waluigi Pinball and not Waluigi. I also doubt the final roster is 16 characters since that number isn't divisible by 3, and I'm guessing they're still going for equal amount of light, middle, and heavyweights.

Fawful, please.

Berordn

Javier said:

You're overthinking this. You already know who it is.
210px-Goombaaaahhh.PNG

This was always going to be a game that I got just because it was a new Mario Kart, but the Iwata Asks: Online Multiplayer video has me really excited. I was skeptical that this would match MK DS but now I'm expecting it to exceed it. Can't wait.

Sianos

Considering the information is from that one Nintendo website people go to, it's probably false. You're right, it wouldn't make sense to have 16 characters: there'll probably be at least eighteen. Hopefully those two are just being kept secret and the people at the Nintendo site you go to are making things up.

Just hope they don't waste a slot on Baby Lanky Kong or something.

Gravijah

Easy_D said:
Given how they call it 7 and it being the 7th Mario Kart game, wouldn't that make every Mario Kart a mainline game?

Edit: Excluding the Arcade titles, of course.

yeah, exactly. the only non-mainline titles are the arcade games.

SHarris78

The first Mario Kart on SNES is a fucking masterpiece. Loved the shit out of that game.

Here here. I've always been confused why some people prefer the N64 version over it. Each to their own, but i though the 64 version was poor, not just by MK standards mind you, just in general. Very drab and no fun to play. I prefer MKDD to MK64, and i didn't think that much of MKDD.

Despite its annoying as hell rubber banding, MK Wii is the best version since the original IMO.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
XxCGSxX said:
Was it possible on Mario Kart Wii to invite a friend and search for other players to fill up the other slots? I can't remember. And will it be possible to do that on MK7? I sure hope we can.

The way my two best friends and I rolled was someone would just join a game, and then you could attempt to join them as long as slots were open. If you started your own room it was locked out from the public. Not the ideal situation, but it worked fine for us most every time.

Delio

Brettison said:
The way my two best friends and I rolled was someone would just join a game, and then you could attempt to join them as long as slots were open. If you started your own room it was locked out from the public. Not the ideal situation, but it worked fine for us most every time.

Pretty much how me and my friends do it. Normally they have to miss one race but once they are end we just stick together as randoms come in.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you still have to blow on your console to get balloons for battle mode like the DS version? I hated that shit.

AntMurda

CrankyJay said:
The first Mario Kart on SNES is a fucking masterpiece. Loved the shit out of that game.

Mario Kart SNES was a revolutionary masterpiece at the time. But Mario Kart DS (and maybe Wii) are the climax of the franchise. Brilliant. Polished. Full of content.

Cranzor

Bisnic said:
Do you still have to blow on your console to get balloons for battle mode like the DS version? I hated that shit.

You could have just held select to inflate the balloons, I'm pretty sure.

Berordn

It was much slower though. We haven't seen it in action yet so we don't know, just that non-team battle mode returned.

SHarris78 said:
Here here. I've always been confused why some people prefer the N64 version over it.
There are quite a few reasons why someone might. Specifically it was many people's first experience and the first time most played 4 player MK. It wasthe first major party game for me and my friends.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
TheyTookOurJobs said:
Wow. Dec. 4th can't come fast enough! Looks like Walugi Pinball is back in too! Can't wait can't wait!!!

I'll definitely join the GAF community! :)
Speaking of Waluigi Pinball, do we know if all the tracks are going to be playable online? I don't want any of this funny business like in MKDS where I had to hang out with hackers just so I could play that track online.

FyreWulff

Serenade said:
Speaking of Waluigi Pinball, do we know if all the tracks are going to be playable online? I don't want any of this funny business like in MKDS where I had to hang out with hackers just so I could play that track online.

They should be. The offline tracks were due to glitchiness/desync/latency issues, and it was their first online go-round with Mario Kart.

Since MKWii had them all online (I'm pretty sure), and the added power that the 3DS has (in case it was an issue with the host being able to render the levels and run the network stack at the same time) shouldn't be any reason to have offline courses this time.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a feature heavy Mario Kart. Providing more than what they included in Mario Kart Wii's online is great, and as long as game plays well over online, I shall be in bliss.

muu

Noticed Amazon.jp has begun taking preorders for a 3DS steering wheel attachment:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005XI5IB0/

I thought this was going to be a plastic wheel-shaped toy like the Wii version, mention of enlarged L/R buttons makes me wonder if it's got a little more to it like the circle pad attachment. Guess they could just overlay a plastic button on top of existing ones but I'm not sure any other 3ds grip's done that before.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
muu said:
Noticed Amazon.jp has begun taking preorders for a 3DS steering wheel attachment:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005XI5IB0/

I thought this was going to be a plastic wheel-shaped toy like the Wii version, mention of enlarged L/R buttons makes me wonder if it's got a little more to it like the circle pad attachment. Guess they could just overlay a plastic button on top of existing ones but I'm not sure any other 3ds grip's done that before.

...Wait.
What.
If larger L/R buttons are mentioned, it is the 3DS Whell, basically: Wii Wheel had the enlarged B button.
...No, the hell is this now.
Announcement for the investor conference SPOILED!

EDIT: Ah,it's from Hori.

Top Bottom