• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 v. Bloodborne: Which is more difficult?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
But, guess what? The hardest enemy that I've faced in all of the Souls games and Bloodborne wasn't even a boss, it was these fuckers from the DLC.
maxresdefault.jpg

Fighting 2 of them at the same time is a real pain in the ass. You will DIE by default.

These guys (specifically the ones with the harpoons) are bullshit to begin with, but two of them together is ... yeah. Luckily Shaman's Bone Blade works wonders for that situation, as others have mentioned.

I would say Bloodborne is overall more difficult than Dark Souls III. I had a hell of a hard time in my first playthrough of the latter against certain bosses (Pontiff Sulyvahn, King of the Storm/Nameless King, Aldritch), but after multiple playthroughs, I don't have much trouble against them at all. In Bloodborne, however, even after 300+ hours of playtime I'm scared to face Orphan of Kos and Ludwig. That's regarding bosses, though, I would rate both games' difficulty in just clearing out areas quite similarly.

oldsnakebro

Dark souls 3 was the easiest souls game for me. Maybe because I was trained with DS1,2 and DeS and BB. DS3 was piece of cake but bloodborne was really hard in the first half.

Bloodborne made me it's bitch. The hardest Souls game by far.

Dark Souls 3 is the complete opposite. Easiest in the series aside from Pontiff, Nameless King and the Twin Princes.

What the fuck 😂😂😂

I think Bloodborne is harder but there's nothing easy about bosses like Gale, 3xFriede or Midir.

Nev

Banned
I'd say they're similar but taking bosses into account I'd lean towards DS3 being a bit harder. Things like Friede of the Three Phases and Midir are just brutal.

If you gave up with Bloodborne as soon as the two wolves I'm afraid you've made a huge mistake.

Good luck tho.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Honestly, they're about even to me. All the games in the series are, maybe except for Dark Souls II (which felt a bit on the easy side).

Sayad

I think Bloodborne is harder at the beginning and Dark Souls 3 is much, much harder at the end. The last few bosses of Dark Souls 3 are a pain in the ass.
This is true for the main game, but if we're counting optional stuff, nothing in DS3 comes near end game Chalice Dungeons.

Whatever of the games you played first is the hardest i think. When you have learned how the formula works in these games it gets ”easier”.

Except for some parts like the Well in Old hunters with the 2 fat cunts or defiled chalices.

Hypron

BB is a bit harder yeah, especially the DLC (where everything hits like a freight train). But there's not a huge gulf in difficulty between the two games.

Wagram

Dark Souls 3 is much more demanding than Bloodborne is from a melee build perspective. Bloodborne was tuned on the lighter side to accommodate people that are used to range builds (at least that's my theory for why most bosses are not challenging in the slightest). The DLC on the other hand goes to Bloodborne.

Micael

Found bloodborne to be all around way easier, while I can't say if the game is easy or not since I have played all of these games more than once, the fights were definitely easier, the base game did pretty much all the fights somewhere between the first to third try, the final boss was especially easy having done him and the hidden boss on the first try without any reset between the 2.
Then again was pretty disappointed with bloodborne bosses in general, most of them weren't that good IMO, between the beasts and gimmick stuff like Micolash just didn't think that bloodborne offered all that many good boss fights.

The DLC however is an all other story, bloodborne is harder, but IMO in the bullshit way, stuff like laurence the first vicar is just bullshit to me, its some giant beast that you can't even see all of him on camera with some shitty moves, and ofc a crappy final lava phase because why not, ludwig while a lot more fare is also not great, being able to basically 1 hit kill you while hanging from a roof you can't see, and having all around camera issues, orphan of kos is a pretty good boss fight (boss run aside) and Lady Maria is just great, one of the best bosses of the entire souls series, even if I found it to be a bit on the easy side.
The bosses of DS3 DLC on the other hand are mostly pretty fare, and sister friede and slave knight gael are quite good.

Bloodborne is not nearly as "balanced" as Dark Souls 3 since it has a bunch of difficulty spikes throughout the game as compared to DS3 which gets progressively tougher at a steady rate. Would probably give the edge to BB for that reason and for the fact you cannot "tank" your way through fights.

Have not played the BB DLC, but the DS3 DLC is easily harder than anything in the base game.

no way, DS3 imo is not the hardest Souls game, the hardest is DS2 then Demons Souls.
I've been watching ENB play Demons Souls lately...I'm a Souls junkie but holy shit that game in NG+ is no fucking joke. Dude got one shotted by a fucking centipede demon in Latria.

Nephtes

Bloodborne is easier by far. I never had to call in another Hunter for help with a boss in Bloodborne...

Dark Souls 3 on the other hand has a slew of bosses that are ridiculous to solo, like the Pontiff and the Dancer...
So much salt for that fucking Dancer fight. Even with help.

Azzanadra

Dark Souls 3 was easier, but it may be due to the years of built up Souls play.

Bloodborne is an interesting one, it was, at different points, both the easiest and the hardest Souls game. The beginning of Bloodborne was the roughest for any Souls game but the mid -to-late game was smooth sailing. However, The Old Hunters DLC I consider to be the hardest piece of Souls content ever.

theRizzle

Bloodborne is easier by far. I never had to call in another Hunter for help with a boss in Bloodborne...

Dark Souls 3 on the other hand has a slew of bosses that are ridiculous to solo, like the Pontiff and the Dancer...
So much salt for that fucking Dancer fight. Even with help.

haha, exactly the same for me.

I breezed through BB more or less, but Pontiff almost broke me in DS3. I ended up just summoning because I couldn't do it. I basically quit the game after I beat him because nearly all my enjoyment had been sucked out of me.

I think they purposefully went all in on the DLC on DS3, so I would go with that.

You can surely say this for all the Souls games, but I feel with BB once you know what you're doing you can absolutely destroy a lot of bosses. What with beast mode, pellets, papers etc. The damage stacks on bosses like TOR and Amelia go down as quickly as Pinwheel.

Compare that to DS3 where some bosses later on it's all about dodging and picking your time to attack - I tend to use normal swords - longsword, barbed etc - and some boss attack patterns don't allow you to get more than a single swing in before you have to start dodging again. I don't know if you'd call that harder, it's just attack patterns after all, but I find these kind of bosses significantly less fun to fight on repeat playthroughs.

It is always that the hardest was the first souls you played..

Recently platinumed sound shapes, souls games are child play to compare those death modes.

Raonak

Banned
Between the opening sections of the game, and the fucking frenzy bs, i'd say BB.

But it might just be because it required a different playstyle than ds

Jigorath

Banned
As far as the base games go, Dark Souls III is tougher. If I add in the The Old Hunters then I'll probably give the difficulty edge to Bloodborne. The Orphan was something else. I haven't played Dark Souls III's DLC yet.

iddqd

I just beat ORPHAN OF KOS yesterday. Was close to calling it quits a couple of times.
But he is nothing compared to the DS3 Dlc guys I think.

Dark Souls 3 is the hardest Souls game,

Hahah, what? DS3 is the easiest, DS2 is the hardest. And for once, I mean this as a good thing about DS3 and a bad thing about DS2; it's kind of amazing how polar opposites in design these games are, with DS3 telegraphing any and every threat to give you time to prepare, and DS2 cheapshotting you over and over again with stuff that's impossible to know in advance (contrary to popular belief, it's the only Souls game that actually does this).

That said and back on topic, BB and DS3 are quite similar in terms of difficulty; that is, on the (relatively) lower end of the spectrum for DS games.

Deku Tree

Your first soulsbourne game is always the hardest. Once you learn how to dodge and bait and run away when needed and deal with crowds none of them are hard.

Soar

DS3 DLC bosses are some of the more difficult ones. In terms of boss attempts BB seems much easier for me, I got stuff like BSB and Amelia in the first go for instance. They both require some shift in tactics though, you can turtle in DS3 and make it through a bit easier but a few bosses will absolutely eat your cake if you do that too.

I don't get why some said DS2 was difficult, it was the easiest game for me - i could actually count one one hand where bosses took more than one try for me. In fact the Pursuer was the only one who gave me some grief but after that it was a cakewalk. Hell there are instances where you can summon NPCs to do everything for you if you choose to do so. Those goddamn Heide knights were more difficult than the end bosses if you can't time your parry properly.

Hooks

DS3 has

- Pontiff
- Dancer
- Oceiros
- Champion Gundyr
- Friede
- Demon Prince
- Midir

What about Princes, Nameless King and Slave Knight Gael ?

The bosses in DS3 were harder, DS1 Was a harder game because no fast travel till after mid way and the distances between the bonfires was much greater. Dark Souls 3 it felt like you had a bonfire very close at all times which made you feel safe.

Bloodborne you could fast travel immediately too but the distance between bonfires was sometimes huge.

But on the thread topic I'd vote Bloodborne is harder than Dark Souls 3

AlexBasch

I remember beating the living shit out of Father Gascoigne but suffering endless defeats from that monster in the bridge in Bloodborne.

I always have felt that difficulty is different for everyone, I could take SSJ Ornstein than dealing with the fucking Bell Demons for example.

Toxi

Banned
After spending an hour learning how to beat this fucking asshole with a slower weapon, I have to give it to Bloodborne.

WrTh8P.gif

Go watch EpicNameBro play Demons Souls on NG+
Speaking of EpicNameBro, he ragequit his last attempt to stream Bloodborne.

Vigamox

For me Dark Souls 3 was tougher overall, where I died many times to certain bosses (Nameless King, Dancer, Pontiff, Gundyr, etc). The DLC continued this trend of difficult bosses with Sister Friede and Gael.

Bloodborne was pretty much a breeze for me after Father Gascoigne, with me dying only a few times in total to the subsequent bosses. It's only in the DLC that I'd say Bloodborne is much more difficult than Dark Souls 3. Ludwig pretty much brought the entire community to tears the first day, and OoK is also insanely tough.

BB was way harder at the beginning. I pretty much got demoralized at the dude shooting at me with the gatling gun. I finally get up there and almost knock him off the building, and he got a lucky shot on me. ugh

BB was way harder at the beginning. I pretty much got demoralized at the dude shooting at me with the gatling gun. I finally get up there and almost knock him off the building, and he got a lucky shot on me. ugh

I had the opposite happen, I made a mistake and was about to get killed be he dodged off the ledge and died.

I haven't played DS3, only 1 and 2, but BB is harder than those for me. The lack of shield/defending, and the reduced difference in stamina consumption rate (even compared to no armor in DS) was a challenging thing to adapt to from a rhythm and feel perspective.

Top Bottom