• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Nintendo of America Clamps Down on Review Copies Following Mario & Luigi Supe

Deku89

This is an interesting response to a leak. I'm wondering how much it will influence the games. Mario probably not, but FEW might lose a bit of interest.

I don't really blame them for the heavy handed approach, but they have to live with the consequences. Sucks for the smaller channels that depend on them.

KingBroly

Banned
This is an interesting response to a leak. I'm wondering how much it will influence the games. Mario probably not, but FEW might lose a bit of interest.

I don't really blame them for the heavy handed approach, but they have to live with the consequences. Sucks for the smaller channels that depend on them.

It sounds like one of the people involved was getting review copies and Nintendo was able to trace it back to that person.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Jesus. And Nintendo was one of the good ones in terms of getting games for review out early and giving reviewers plenty of time to play them before embargo. To have them get burned this bad makes me pretty angry honestly.

Honestly I really hope that this will cause Nintendo to enforce stricter control and embargo as I was getting sick of some nobodies getting copy of the games early for "review" purpose only to spoil the entire game by doing a full blown let's play weeks before the official release date.

It was annoying seeing let's play of Samus Return popping up in my recommendation when the game wasn't even out yet plus it was unfair to other reviewers that was following the embargo guideline.

lol remember when all of yall wanted the BOTW demo to leak and said its a good thing lol

I remember that.

Are you sure it's because they don't have any confidence in Fire Emblem Warriors.

Why would they not have any confidence?

Kindekuma

Banned
It honestly took me by surprise how early the game leaked. Samus Returns only got out like 3 or 4 days before release, but M&L leaked way, way before launch. I assumed it broke street date in the UAE or something, but a reviewer uploading a .cia copy came out of left field.

Sucks to see that this crack down heavily impacts smaller reviewers who are just following the rules.

Of all the games to get punished for.

A remake of a GBA game. Imagine if it was Breath of the Wild (assuming it was possible to do in the first place).

Vena

NoA should sue them. Get them shook and make an example.

I'm fairly sure they will do whatever they can to thoroughly fuck who ever leaked it.

A remake of a GBA game. Imagine if it was Breath of the Wild (assuming it was possible to do in the first place).

With the WiiU, it was, and a street broken copy would have been trivial to dump and disseminate.

Deku89

It sounds like one of the people involved was getting review copies and Nintendo was able to trace it back to that person.
True, but they fear it might happen again. It's a lot harder to hold influencers responsible than larger companies. Either A) it's to send a message they're taking leaks seriously and will allow them later on, or B) they're redoing they're review policy and only larger groups will get the games early. Or, C) it has nothing to do with leaks and just mismanagement.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Remember when Nintendo punished all EU Pokemon fans for a leak of XY that happened in a few stores peppered across the planet?

Of course I remember as I was affected by that, man waiting an extra 5 days for the Hoenn remake and Sun and Moon was a pain as everyone was off having fun but we were left out in the cold and it felt so backward going from a worldwide release to a kinda worldwide release, plus it just felt weird playing a new game on a Wednesday as I wasn't able to sit down and play it till Friday.

Granted I got X and Y a day early but I did my part by not leaking anything of the game and would be rewarded by Lord Arceus.

Luckily we're getting Ultra Sun and Moon on the same date as everyone else.

Kadin

They noted that the move from Nintendo of America feels a little drastic considering, as they claim, "Nintendo knows who did it," referring to the leaker. "[Nintendo] downloaded the leaked [ROM], checked the files and found the 3DS serial attached."
Interesting. I didn't even know that information was stored but it makes sense I guess. I bet a bunch of past leakers now might be a bit scared unless this has been known and I'm just out of the loop.

Vena

Interesting. I didn't even know that information was stored but it makes sense I guess. I bet a bunch of past leakers now might be a bit scared unless this has been known and I'm just out of the loop.

Scrubbing a dump is usually step number one if you know what you are doing, its like not scrubbing meta-data.

This is more a case of 15-minutes of fame, poor foresight, and then years of being screwed.

sadly the wii u was open enough that the wii u version of BOTW did leak ahead of release day by almost a week. This also might explain why Gamexplain talked about playing the European version of fire emblem warriors for there recent discussion.

RedToad64

It honestly took me by surprise how early the game leaked. Samus Returns only got out like 3 or 4 days before release, but M&L leaked way, way before launch. I assumed it broke street date in the UAE or something, but a reviewer uploading a .cia copy came out of left field.

Sucks to see that this crack down heavily impacts smaller reviewers who are just following the rules.
Yeah, it was leaked nearly a month before release, which is pretty crazy. I’m sure this, as well as Nintendo’s weird overconfidence with continuing the 3DS, has them shocked after seeing what I am only assume are mediocre sales numbers.

I believe that the 3DS will continue to underperform for the rest of the year and the system will fade off, with the Switch being the main focus next year.

I'm fairly sure they will do whatever they can to thoroughly fuck who ever leaked it.

With the WiiU, it was, and a street broken copy would have been trivial to dump and disseminate.
Oops. I forgot Breath of the Wild came out on Wii U for some reason.

Kadin

Scrubbing a dump is usually step number one if you know what you are doing, its like not scrubbing meta-data.

This is more a case of 15-minutes of fame, poor foresight, and then years of being screwed.
Ah okay, so basically Dumping-101 right? Gotcha.

Of course I remember as I was affected by that, man waiting an extra 5 days for the Hoenn remake and Sun and Moon was a pain as everyone was off having fun but we were left out in the cold and it felt so backward going from a worldwide release to a kinda worldwide release, plus it just felt weird playing a new game on a Wednesday as I wasn't able to sit down and play it till Friday.

Granted I got X and Y a day early but I did my part by not leaking anything of the game and would be rewarded by Lord Arceus.

Luckily we're getting Ultra Sun and Moon on the same date as everyone else.
Well, XY was leaked about two weeks before, so there would've been nothing for you to mention, anyways.

The are multiple formats that a 3DS game can be dumped as, one of them is built with header information unique to the console it was made on. If the leaker released the game through this format, I can see how there would be traceable information left.

WestEgg

I can understand being cautious about 3DS games leaking, but it seems strange to me to with hold Switch games, since it isn't emulatable or cracked right now, so Piracy shouldn't be a big concern.

KingBroly

Banned
True, but they fear it might happen again. It's a lot harder to hold influencers responsible than larger companies. Either A) it's to send a message they're taking leaks seriously and will allow them later on, or B) they're redoing they're review policy and only larger groups will get the games early. Or, C) it has nothing to do with leaks and just mismanagement.

They'll likely slowly open it back up, but are probably checking possible connections to these people in the meantime. It's possible these ROM dumpers are tied to multiple people and Nintendo has to verify who is/isn't connected.

Gartooth

I can understand being cautious about 3DS games leaking, but it seems strange to me to with hold Switch games, since it isn't emulatable or cracked right now, so Piracy shouldn't be a big concern.

I feel like Nintendo is taking the most extreme measure until they can figure out how to alter their relationship with influencers. It really looks like they had a huge reaction to this and went to code red immediately to protect Odyssey.

I feel like Nintendo is taking the most extreme measure until they can figure out how to alter their relationship with influencers. It really looks like they had a huge reaction to this and went to code red immediately to protect Odyssey.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"

I don't blame NOA in the slightest. Switch is on fire right now.

Reminder to all those that want to leak nintendo games Nintendo sued a man for 1.5 million dollars cause he leaked New Super Mario Bros wii early.

The whole influencer thing is so weird anyways.

Just send review copies to actual reviewers.

Influencers are more likely to be fanboys and gush over the game while feeling extra special Nintendo choose them. I'd expect reviewers to be much more critical and honest. Nintendo want the former feedback.

Ridley327

So Mario & Luigi got mixed reviews? Why isn't there context in the OP?

What? What would the review scores have to do with a situation in which someone leaked the game out for people to download illegally weeks before it officially went on sale?

The game is reviewing fine, so I don't see what scores got to do with anything. And even if it weren't reviewing well, it still would have nothing to do with what's going on.

mavo

Banned

Breath of the wild was leaked like 4 days before the game came out.

Edit:
Correction, the game was dumped like between 1-2 weeks before the game came out and thats where the assets came from, it was the monday before the game came out that someone dumped the key so people could play it on their softmoddeds wiiu.

Imagine getting caught over a remake of a 14 year old gba game that was barely hyped. Everyone forgot about the chump that leaked the switch for internet fame and you think the people that pirated give a fuck about you? Lmaoooo

Does it matter?

Top Bottom