• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Media Event - 1080p AppleTV, 4G/LTE 2048x1536 iPad, same price, Mar 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Yes, covering UI elements with your hand makes sense. I've waited a long time for this. Never got the huge bezel.

:lol

That video reaks of "I don't get it". While all of those things visually look cool...they make about zero sense in terms of an actual device.

TBH I'm much more interested to see if the updated Apple TV (if the rumor is true) will finally be connected to the app store. If it is, it's a game changer.

Still. Apple should refund or upgrade anyone who bought an iPad 2 in 2012. Knowing their greed, they won't.

Ummmm, why do you think they have these products in retail in less then half a month from the announcement? They want to milk that Ipad 2 for it its worth.

I might buy one, though the latest price rumours suggest i might skip it.

Anyway, i'm sure this is the moment when tablets will be out of the babyshoes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
TBH I'm much more interested to see if the updated Apple TV (if the rumor is true) will finally be connected to the app store. If it is, it's a game changer.

If the new Apple TV shipped with a combined game controller / remote then I'm totally in. Maybe that's what they mean by "And touch".

Could this also be an unveiling for their TV set?

Something to see = TV
Something to touch = iPad 3

Not getting my hopes up, though :-3

Cheebo

Banned
It kinda sounds too good to be true, and would steal alot of iPad 3's thunder, me thinks.

They go hand in hand due to AirPlay. Not to mention they are only $100 and whenever you order a iPad Apple asks you to also add a Apple TV to your cart already. The insane iPad 3 sales will bring in a ton of Apple TV sales that otherwise would never be made if it didn't launch the same day as iPad 3.

Could this also be an unveiling for their TV set?

Something to see = TV
Something to touch = iPad 3

Not getting my hopes up, though :-3

They are likely revealing the Apple TV 3 set top box.

mrkgoo

Portrait is shit, the fact that the button is placed for portrait mode is by far the worst aspect of the iPad's design

Why's that?

You could nearly argue that it's placed for landscape mode, as it's right near your thumb when holding it in landscape. Sometimes I like to put the home button at the top, for example, whn I,m browsing safari, since all the other controls are at the too anyway.

LCfiner

I don't want to get too hyped for a revamped and more capable Apple TV but, man... it kind of makes sense if they plan on having it integrated tightly with the ipad or iphone as remote/ controller...

It would be nice just to have one surprise at this point.

noah111

Still Alive
Love that magnet type locking concept of that video, but everything else is lol-worthy. Cool high quality concept vids they got there though.

I'm pumped, I really hope that the iPad 3 makes some big changes like taking more advantage of all the screen real estate. The apps spaced out so much on the home screen looks god awful to me.

Sky Chief

Why's that?

You could nearly argue that it's placed for landscape mode, as it's right near your thumb when holding it in landscape. Sometimes I like to put the home button at the top, for example, whn I,m browsing safari, since all the other controls are at the too anyway.

It is too easy to press by mistake in landscape mode, particularly when playing games (and most games I play are landscape). I usually leave my iPad screen locked in landscape because I use it this way 95+% of the time and only switch to portrait when an app forces me to.

I'm pumped, I really hope that the iPad 3 makes some big changes like taking more advantage of all the screen real estate. The apps spaced out so much on the home screen looks god awful to me.

No thank you, sir. having more than the 16-20 apps that already populate home screens would make it too busy. If you want to see how it would look on your current ipad, install some Cydia apps that allow you to add an additional row or two of apps. It's like a nightmare from Hell.

BdoUK

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm more excited about the ATV3 announcement. I'm hoping Apple will implement support for 24 bit / 96 kHz audio via Airplay (the current ATV2 only supports 16 bit / 48 kHz). Rumors are currently circulating that they might also introduce "HD" versions of titles on iTunes.

mrkgoo

I remember the hoohah over the app spacing upon iPad unveilment. I think it is very aesthetically pleasing (6 icons in the dock aside). People wanted it cramped in like the iPhone, which absolutely doesn't make sense for an iPad. I mean, seriously, People wanted like 8x10 apps or something?

I think the spacing is really pleasing.

It is too easy to press by mistake in landscape mode, particularly when playing games (and most games I play are landscape). I usually leave my iPad screen locked in landscape because I use it this way 95+% of the time and only switch to portrait when an app forces me to.

Yeah, I guess it can get in the way, but it's not a huge problem for me. I don't push the home button by accident due to placing much. But really, I could make your exact argument but for the opposite. I use my iPad in portrait most of the time and only go to landscape when an app forces me to (or I watch video or view landscape photos). Reading feels more natural in portrait for me. But I get why you may not like it.

My bigger beef tends to be speaker placement, particularly on iPhone. For whatever reason, they always put the default landscape mode with the speaker at the bottom, meaning it's easier to coverup with your hands. Annoying for games, and especially when they don't use autorotate.

Again, just a personal beef. My brother hates it being on the top, because apparently he holds it such that he blocks the top part.

Sky Chief

I remember the hoohah over the app spacing upon iPad unveilment. I think it is very aesthetically pleasing (6 icons in the dock aside). People wanted it cramped in like the iPhone, which absolutely doesn't make sense for an iPad. I mean, seriously, People wanted like 8x10 apps or something?

I think the spacing is really pleasing.

Yeah, I guess it can get in the way, but it's not a huge problem for me. I don't push the home button by accident due to placing much. But really, I could make your exact argument but for the opposite. I use my iPad in portrait most of the time and only go to landscape when an app forces me to (or I watch video or view landscape photos). Reading feels more natural in portrait for me. But I get why you may not like it.

My bigger beef tends to be speaker placement, particularly on iPhone. For whatever reason, they always put the default landscape mode with the speaker at the bottom, meaning it's easier to coverup with your hands. Annoying for games, and especially when they don't use autorotate.

Again, just a personal beef. My brother hates it being on the top, because apparently he holds it such that he blocks the top part.

Also whenever I pass my iPad to someone else to show them something they ALWAYS inadvertently press the button and go back to the homescreen :/ Yeah, speaker position must be changed

Cheebo

Banned
I don't think so... 500$ iPad or 600$ iPhone, 100$ for the Apple TV.

Methinks Apple just wants their set top box to be an air-play station

There is a reason Apple TV is classified as an accessory for the iPad when you purchase an iPad on their online store. I think Apple sees it like you do it. It's an additional device for your iPad, not it's own product line.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There is a reason Apple TV is classified as an accessory for the iPad when you purchase an iPad on their online store. I think Apple sees it like you do it. It's an additional device for your iPad, not it's own product line.

I wasn't aware of that... so yep, that's pretty much it.

They're probably just updating it to feed 1080 signals to your TV.

Question:

Is the retina display really that breath taking that it consciously makes the device nicer to use, or is it more of a "neat" thing that you end up forgetting about in a matter of hours and has no real practicality apart from more details when you get close to the screen?

I mean, I'm happy that Apple pushes for higher resolutions and better screens, but considering that the retina display seems to be the biggest selling point of the next iPad, it makes me kinda shrug because to me that doesn't seem really important. Than again, I haven't really witnessed an iPhone 4S from close-by, so perhaps I'm missing something here.

this is not a troll! I'm aware how touchy touchy Apple discussions are ;)

Zutroy

Do you get charged anything by eBay if you put something for sale and it fails to meet the reserve?

Never actually sold anything on eBay before.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Nah it will be a huge noticeable improvement. The iPad's screen was low rez even when the first one came out. It was and is the biggest flaw of the device.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nah it will be a huge noticeable improvement. The iPad's screen was low rez even when the first one came out. It was and is the biggest flaw of the device.

There is nothing wrong with the screen for iPad 1 or 2. It's an amazing screen with more then good enough resolution. Websurfing, email etc... is a joy on that screen.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Question:

Is the retina display really that breath taking that it consciously makes the device nicer to use, or is it more of a "neat" thing that you end up forgetting about in a matter of hours and has no real practicality apart from more details when you get close to the screen?

I mean, I'm happy that Apple pushes for higher resolutions and better screens, but considering that the retina display seems to be the biggest selling point of the next iPad, it makes me kinda shrug because to me that doesn't seem really important. Than again, I haven't really witnessed an iPhone 4S from close-by, so perhaps I'm missing something here.

I went from a 3G to the 4.

It's really nice. It's not just details when you get close... the images displayed feel more... solid? Easier on the eyes, too.

You kinda get used to it tho.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Do you get charged anything by eBay if you put something for sale and it fails to meet the reserve?

Never actually sold anything on eBay before.

there's a listing fee and they take a % of the final sale

so yes, if it fails to sale you still have to pay something.

mrkgoo

Question:

I would say it just makes everything nicer to look at. For us geeks, it's a mind blowing improvement, knowing that improvements at the upper end tend to be incremental, so these big leaps are always amazing.

For regular folk, people tend to go, 'oh yeah, the iPhone 4 is sharper than the iPhone 3G’.

It's mostly in the text. You have a lesser need to have antialiased text with slightly blurry edges, especially when text is small.

And like anything, you get accustomed to it, only noticing the difference if try to go back. Same with anything. Always happens when I get something new. ,

But as I mentioned before, the screen will only be part of the 'update'. apple will unveil a use case for the iPad 3 in software, be it Siri, a new app, or just updating existing apps and showing off new functioality (such as iBooks or text books).

LCfiner

There is nothing wrong with the screen for iPad 1 or 2. It's an amazing screen with more then good enough resolution. Websurfing, email etc... is a joy on that screen.

it’s a vibrant screen that’s great for photos but I see the aliasing on text on tons of webpages and find it frustrating. it is not subtle to my eyes at all and detracts from reading lots of pages if they choose certain serif fonts.

fixing this with a higher res screen will make it much better for text display.

The sharpness for pictures and graphics will also be very nice.

I notice you didn't mention reading :)

I find it sufficient for reading, but after looking at iBooks text on my iPhone 4, long have I wanted to be able to use my fairly vast library of books in the same crispness on my iPad.

It's a big deal to me, but that's because I enjoy reading a lot.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Question:

When I look at my iPhone home screen sometimes it looks fake, AND I MEAN THAT IN A GOOD WAY. It just looks so clear that it doesn't look like a screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom