• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamVR Thread: Virtually a |Thread 2|

Wardancer

Neo Member
So I finally got around to picking up one of these magnetic gun stocks and gave it a try today in Pavlov. Man does it make a difference having steady aim lol. I've never been that great at the game and usually end up in the middle to bottom in a match, but I was top of the team in three straight games using this today. It definitely has it's awkward points though. It takes a while to get used to the magnet placement without being able to see them and they tend to move around a bit since the magnets are so strong which exacerbates the issue. Trackers on the magnet parts of the stock could be a solution to that since you could see the points in game. The movement might be remedied by tightening the screws on the parts though. Also doing anything with your primary hand besides holding the gun takes a lot of getting used to so switching to grenade or knife or sidearm is more awkward. I think the best course of action is probably to hold your off hand in place (ie in magnet) because trying to find the right orientation of the stock after you've completely let it go is a herculean feat, but I haven't really tried that strategy yet. Definitely had moments of occlusion too though they were brief. So yeah, definitely not the perfect solution but, again, overall it improved my performance. Still, I wonder if there's some kind of better out of the left field solution to the issue the gun stock is trying to solve.

Do you have a sling for the stock? That helps a lot when doing grenade or pistol stuff because you can just let go of the stock completely and have it hang by your side while you perform those actions. Same with games that want you to interact with things with your hands between using rifles. Definitely a must for any gun stock.

But otherwise you just need to use the stock for a while and its gonna get easier and quicker to slot your controllers back into it without a second thought, and if you ever get tangled the stock helps that too so you can just freehand it when needed.

I am using the ProTubeVR and the sling is essential. The protube has a few advantages over the magnetic solutions for example no occlusion issues due to the bottom mounted design and it is highly customisable. There are a few drawbacks however with slightly more awkward reloads since your stock os below your hands etc.

Both of these solutions are gonna have issues with the new knuckle controllers and its gonna be very interesting to see how people solve that. The protube maker has some ideas of how to solve it but its not gonna be as neat as they are now.

Edit: These gun stock with mounts for controllers seems like the best solution we will see in a while, at least as long as we dont have full hand tracking as well. I much prefer it to the AIM controller on PSVR which reduces games to just holding rifles and no hand interaction at all which is just a terrible way to go about it.

Zalusithix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O96SFU6A9U#t=407.61452

Some advice from tribalinstincts regarding the deluxe audio strap and the cable, I was not aware of such a thing potentially becoming a problem and he has a simple solution.

That's more of an issue with the DAS and Vive-n-Chill than it is the DAS and cable. The cable or headset wouldn't be damaged by the amount of stress that tension puts on them.

Beyond that, I swear I must be one of the only ones that doesn't use the adjustment knob after the initial adjustment? There's more than enough give in the spring section for me to pull the headset over the back of my head and back off without touching the knob while still retaining a firm fit.

That's more of an issue with the DAS and Vive-n-Chill than it is the DAS and cable. The cable or headset wouldn't be damaged by the amount of stress that tension puts on them.

Beyond that, I swear I must be one of the only ones that doesn't use the adjustment knob after the initial adjustment? There's more than enough give in the spring section for me to pull the headset over the back of my head and back off without touching the knob while still retaining a firm fit.

Seen some vids of busted spring mechanics so I always use the adjustment knob instead of putting stress on the springs. I like the DAS but I don't really trust the stability of it's mechanics (tbf that could also go for the adjustment knob)

I don't touch it either, Once it's calibrated it's pretty much done being messed with. It's so nice though, I LOVE the DAS, I think I'm going to remove the headphones though, I just feel bad because then I just spent $100 for a comfy strap. Oh well, it's a billion times better and more comfortable and easier to manage than the basic strap.

I'm bringing my vive to a con to demo to people. would be my fourth time doing this. Keep getting pressure to charge people for it, I dunno if I should or how much to charge or what to offer.

Normally I've been just letting people play space pirate trainer as it's the easiest to explain and looks like a good first time VR thing. you ove around, you see neat things in 3D, you get hand presence with guns and don't lose immersion because you don't feel weight when picking up things or tactile feedback when doing things.

might try demoing superhot VR, depends on how easy it is to get going. or maybe one of the escape room things I bought. haven't tried them yet so I dunno

Paganmoon

Anyone else notice some apps and games switch your controllers/hands? In SteamVR home, it looks fine, after starting (some) games the ingame representation is switched. SteamVR home still shows it as correct.

Had the issue with Nvidias Funhouse I recall, and now again with the Spider-man: Homecoming experience.

Should really be a quickbutton to "reset" hands, maybe something they could add to OpenVR Advanced settings

Anyone else notice some apps and games switch your controllers/hands? In SteamVR home, it looks fine, after starting (some) games the ingame representation is switched. SteamVR home still shows it as correct.

Had the issue with Nvidias Funhouse I recall, and now again with the Spider-man: Homecoming experience.

Should really be a quickbutton to "reset" hands, maybe something they could add to OpenVR Advanced settings

It's an Unreal bug (which has since been fixed in later engine builds). IIRC it recognizes whichever controller you turned on first as the left hand regardless of it is or not. As a habit I turn on the left hand controller first just because of this even though it's not as much a problem anymore.

Paganmoon

It's an Unreal bug (which has since been fixed in later engine builds). IIRC it recognizes whichever controller you turned on first as the left hand regardless of it is or not. As a habit I turn on the left hand controller first just because of this even though it's not as much a problem anymore.

Aha, I'll try to keep that in mind, thanks.

Zalusithix

Scanners add-on.

I mean who uses hands to play videogames?

While always interesting, this sort of stuff is still decades way from being something that has a remote chance of showing up in consumer targeted products (and succeeding). VR sets are going to become smaller, lighter, and less cumbersome as the tech improves. Placing nodes all around your head for EEG runs counter to those goals. Until they get to a point where they can do this sort of sensing accurately with just a couple of small nodes at your temples, it's pretty much a non starter for consumers.

Just as well anyhow. We have plenty of regular human-like interactions to iron out in VR before we worry too much about trans-human abilities. Full body tracking and advanced haptic feedback are more important for the near to mid term of VR than being able to control things with our minds.

chekhonte

Booted up the Vive after a month to play some new vr games and WTF is up with the new steam vr room? My calibration is all messed up and I don't know how to calibrate it anymore. I can't access my steam games as it says that it can't find steam. If I try to launch a vr game from the desktop and I turn on my vive controllers it closes the game and launches the vr room. The very room that I can't launch a game from.

WTF kind of garbage is this?

Durante

Booted up the Vive after a month to play some new vr games and WTF is up with the new steam vr room? My calibration is all messed up and I don't know how to calibrate it anymore. I can't access my steam games as it says that it can't find steam. If I try to launch a vr game from the desktop and I turn on my vive controllers it closes the game and launches the vr room. The very room that I can't launch a game from.

WTF kind of garbage is this?
Your setup is clearly broken. Re-install SteamVR.

chekhonte

Your setup is clearly broken. Re-install SteamVR.

Interesting. I tried reinstalling before but it didn't work. This time I uninstalled, reset, reinstalled, reset and it works. I assumed that valve just released another half baked thing. I'm glad that I was wrong.

What are some good active VR games? Something that'll give some decent cardio?

That's more a question for the PCVR thread.

The answer would be something like:

Audioshield
Soundboxing
Holopoint
BoxVR
The Thrill of the Fight
Knockout League
and more that I can't think of at the moment.

That's more a question for the PCVR thread.

The answer would be something like:

Audioshield
Soundboxing
Holopoint
BoxVR
The Thrill of the Fight
Knockout League
and more that I can't think of at the moment.
Space Pirate Trainer is super active. I don't find Audioshield very active. I wouldn't really count anything that is stand in one place.

Holoball though

Space Pirate Trainer is super active. I don't find Audioshield very active. I wouldn't really count anything that is stand in one place.

Holoball though

You shouldn't stand motionless on the spot playing Audioshield. You shouldn't see it as a "deflect the orbs with your hands" Game. How demanding the game can be (and how fun it can be) depends entirely on your own playstyle, you have to see it as a dance/rythm game (which works best on the difficulty "harder", normal is too out of sync and Elite is too much, too many orbs so you can't get into a rythm). It absolutely shines once you have found your way of getting the most out of it (100 hours+ on the clock). If you are utterly unable to find rythm and you hate moving your body to music/hate dancing, then it is bad choice as you really have to give something from yourself to the game and you can't rely on the games mechanics holding your hand all the way through.

Space Pirate Trainer can also be very demanding but you never get into an even rythm there, which is what makes music based rythm games more appealing when it comes to "working out in VR". You play 3-5 longer songs and you did half an hour cardio and the next day you simply chose different songs and the motivation alaways gets renewed. That's something that games like Holopoint, Racket NX and SPT etc can't do, they are maybe more physically demanding by mechanics alone but you always do the same things, which will lessen motivation over time quite a bit. Unless you don't like music, you will never run out of motivation in Audioshield/Soundboxing/BoxVR (well, if Soundboxing weren't bugged for me :mad:
If you go by mechanics alone then nothing really beats Holopoint, but there is more to it than mechanics alone. Motivation plays an extremely important part in this imo

I've seen both vids before and how people have modded their own difficulty/algorithm behaviour into the game. I'ts cool that you can play the game like that but it's not mine, it becomes a pure reaction game, no rythm. And while that also gets very exhausting to play it like that, I highly prefer full body movement synced to the music. Probably the reason why I don't find regular rythm games very interesting, it's more fun to me to look at other people playing them (at pro level) than playing them myself (at any level).

Dunno if this is the proper thread to ask this in, since the PCVR thread is about games, but...

Are there any affordable options to get a SteamVR-compliant headset+controllers in Spain? I see that there's the Rift + Touch for 399 in the states but I can't find anything anywhere near that price in Spain, plus I'd like roomscale/perfect controller tracking (if possible/affordable).

Project CARS 2 is coming and even though I have a PSVR, I'm dying for a VR sim racer on PC using my PC racing setup.

Wardancer

Neo Member
The Oculus should be around 400-500€ in spain, https://www.oculus.com/rift/. Its basically the dollar price + VAT.

It really is the cheapest headset available that includes controllers and good tracking (for a perfect roomscale another camera is a useful addition but not needed if you just want to buy it for Racing games primarily).

Exuro

Has anyone fixed a Vive controller? I have the right side of pad wont click issue and I'm having trouble with whats happening. I looked at some guides and all of them say its due to the sticker/little pad sliding off center, but I popped mine open and it looks fine.

OKiw46i.jpg

Anyone know what I should be look for?

Edit: Fixed the problem. My pad was too short, so I made a paper shim. Touchpad is now clicking everywhere!

Wardancer

Neo Member
Has anyone fixed a Vive controller? I have the right side of pad wont click issue and I'm having trouble with whats happening. I looked at some guides and all of them say its due to the sticker/little pad sliding off center, but I popped mine open and it looks fine.

Edit: Fixed the problem. My pad was too short, so I made a paper shim. Touchpad is now clicking everywhere!

Did the same thing, added 2-3 layers of ductape to the rubber ring.

Zalusithix

Kind of hard to tell by the photo, but it looks like the pad actually compressed at the contact point which caused it to become to short. Knock on wood, but thankfully I haven't had any issues with my trackpads yet. One of my controllers does exhibit squeaky trigger syndrome every once in awhile, but that's easy enough to correct without opening it by using some Teflon based lubricant applied with a hypodermic syringe.

Paganmoon

I fixated the cable at the very back of the DAS with a velcro strap, I've seen many people do the same thing on youtube. When it is dangling to the right side then in very active games I was hitting the cable with the controller or worse, hooking the cable with my arm and flung it forward (could potentially damage the link box with enough force behind it).

Now I'm thinking even further, should I add a small weight at the back too? Seen some ridiculously amateurish DIY stuff like that on Reddit but maybe it balances out the DAS even more/better on your head...

Zalusithix

I fixated the cable at the very back of the DAS with a velcro strap, I've seen many people do the same thing on youtube. When it is dangling to the right side then in very active games I was hitting the cable with the controller or worse, hooking the cable with my arm and flung it forward (could potentially damage the link box with enough force behind it).

Now I'm thinking even further, should I add a small weight at the back too? Seen some ridiculously amateurish DIY stuff like that on Reddit but maybe it balances out the DAS even more/better on your head...

The DAS came with a velcro strap explicitly for the purpose of routing the cable to the back of the headset. (Route strap between the foam and shell, not over.) It's not some fancy thing the community came up with. =P

As for adding a weight, I can't imagine why you'd want that. I find the opposite to be desired; complete removal of the cable weight results in an improvement. If you're getting tangled in the cable with arm movement, what you want is a belt clip, not a weight. A clip will reduce cable tension on the back of the head while simultaneously keeping the cable slack in a set area where it won't interfere with arm movement no matter how much you turn around.

Paganmoon

As I've understood it, the weight isn't for the cable, but to get better balance, and not have the HMD rest on your face.

The DAS came with a velcro strap explicitly for the purpose of routing the cable to the back of the headset. (Route strap between the foam and shell, not over.) It's not some fancy thing the community came up with. =P

As for adding a weight, I can't imagine why you'd want that. I find the opposite to be desired; complete removal of the cable weight results in an improvement. If you're getting tangled in the cable with arm movement, what you want is a belt clip, not a weight. A clip will reduce cable tension on the back of the head while simultaneously keeping the cable slack in a set area where it won't interfere with arm movement no matter how much you turn around.

That thing was way too small and I thought it was meant for something else because of it, I had a few larger laying around. and used them instead.

Edit: To be more clear, I don't have the 3 in 1 cable, I have the old/bigger cable, it barely fits around the frame and the cable, I can see that it would be enough for the 3 in 1 cable!

As I've understood it, the weight isn't for the cable, but to get better balance, and not have the HMD rest on your face.

Of course, two different topics! TBF I'm not dissatisfied with the weight distribution of the DAS, I just feel like a tiny bit more weight at the back and it could be perfect!

Zalusithix

Ah, I was correlating the two things. That said, I'm not sure if adding extra ballast to the rear to allow reduced pressure on the face is something I'd want to do regardless. Extra weight = extra inertia. More inertia + looser fit = more movement on the head. Extra comfort at the expense of the headset slipping around more during use is a risky tradeoff for VR. Probably would work better for cockpit games where you're not moving around nearly as much.

That thing was way too small and I thought it was meant for something else because of it, I had a few larger laying around. and used them instead.
If applied correctly, it's plenty large enough with a couple centimeters of solid velcro contact. Any longer would actually be a hindrance as the contact patch would stretch around back under headset foam requiring removal of the foam any time you wanted to adjust it.

Yeah, here's the link. According to the guy, the counter balance 100% removes pressure off the face.
WTF did that person do to their foam?

Zalusithix

HTC is having some weird ass "mystery flash sale" with $50-$200 off along with free shipping (US only). Given it started and ends today, it's probably something better put into a new thread, but whatever. I'm not fond of the sale style, and it still has to compete with the objectively better Rift deal, so I'm not going to make a big deal about it. Might be worth it if you can get the $200 off though, depending on your VR setup needs.

Paganmoon

Anyone has a "master list" of improvements (With pictures) that have been made on the Vive so far?
I installed the Deluxe Audio Strap yesterday, and checking HTC's video on it, the "strap holder" on top of the HMD, where the 3 in 1 cable passes through looked different to the one on mine, and got curious as to what exactly the other minor improvements and revisions has been.

Top Bottom