• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

tmdorsey

This is so weird reading the comments about the HBO stream for GoT. My experience last season and this season streaming from the HBO GO app has been it has always looked better than the 1080i sat feed from DirecTV. Although I did watch a re-airing of the pilot episode a few weeks back on DirecTV and it looked pretty good.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This is so weird reading the comments about the HBO stream for GoT. My experience last season and this season streaming from the HBO GO app has been it has always looked better than the 1080i sat feed from DirecTV. Although I did watch a re-airing of the pilot episode a few weeks back on DirecTV and it looked pretty good.

I feel like it depends on when you watch, I've seen some pretty poor feeds from HBO Go, but when it's dialed in I think it's superior to broadcast

Mrbob

Doing some more digging it does seem like freesync is supported by Xbox one X over HDMI, but it's still HDMI 2.0b and 4k is capped at 60 hz. Availability is limited right now to monitor manufacturers which specifically added special support to certain models.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync

Not sure how this would work with new hdmi 2.1 tvs but it seems like special extensions were added on these current monitors to make it work. Interesting nonetheless. Guess it's better than nothing for a xbox gamer if this could get retrofitted to work. I'm more interested in 4k120 since I already tweak my PC games to run at 60fps locked.

MrJames

HDMI 2.1 will be a thing for 2018. Most displays will take advantage of the increased bandwidth by offering 4k@120hz. There will also most certainly be new HDMI 2.1 capable receivers. Even if the spec supports it, I've got a feeling only 1-2 companies will support VRR (my guess is Vizio with their 2018 P series, and LG with 2018 OLED's). AMD GPU's are probably going to be the only thing that supports VRR through HDMI in 2018.

Support for VRR will increase in 2020 when the PS5 launches, which will probably tout it as a feature of next gen -- can definitely see Sony TV division following suit. The major catalyst or drive for VRR will probably come from the home release of the Avatar sequels in 2021, seeing as the movie will employ VRR in theaters. Heck Cameron spurred 3D in the home, can see the same being the case for VRR.

I hope I am wrong and VRR takes off sooner than later though!

HDMI 1.4 has a bandwidth limit of 10.2Gbps. When the first HDMI 2.0 chipsets were released, they included new functions for 2nd gen 4K televisons but were still limited to 10.2Gbps so no 4K/60. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again with 2.1. Same 18Gbps bandwidth as 2.0 with the functions of 2.1 added. If that happens, it could provide VRR, dynamic HDR and the new ARC with Atmos/DTSX support. 4K/120 requires more bandwidth so new cables would be needed.

I haven't read up on it much so I could be wrong but that's my guess.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
HDMI 1.4 has a bandwidth limit of 10.2Gbps. When the first HDMI 2.0 chipsets were released, they included new functions for 2nd gen 4K televisons but were still limited to 10.2Gbps so no 4K/60. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again with 2.1. Same 18Gbps bandwidth as 2.0 with the functions of 2.1 added. If that happens, it could provide VRR, dynamic HDR and the new ARC with Atmos/DTSX support. 4K/120 requires more bandwidth so new cables would be needed.

I haven't read up on it much so I could be wrong but that's my guess.

Current ARC can already do Atmos (not sure about DTS-X), but only with DD+ audio. Not sure why so few TVs support it.

ascii42

HDMI 2.1 will be a thing for 2018. Most displays will take advantage of the increased bandwidth by offering 4k@120hz. There will also most certainly be new HDMI 2.1 capable receivers. Even if the spec supports it, I've got a feeling only 1-2 companies will support VRR (my guess is Vizio with their 2018 P series, and LG with 2018 OLED's). AMD GPU's are probably going to be the only thing that supports VRR through HDMI in 2018.

Support for VRR will increase in 2020 when the PS5 launches, which will probably tout it as a feature of next gen -- can definitely see Sony TV division following suit. The major catalyst or drive for VRR will probably come from the home release of the Avatar sequels in 2021, seeing as the movie will employ VRR in theaters. Heck Cameron spurred 3D in the home, can see the same being the case for VRR.

I hope I am wrong and VRR takes off sooner than later though!

Movies won't be VRR, just a higher fixed frame rate. Avatar 2 will be 60 fps, last I read.

Anyone with a C6 or E6 that also gets corrupted menus in Wipeout Omega Collection on the PS4 Pro?

A C6 owner posted this pic over on avforums and I see the same on a E6:
IMG_0381.jpg

I see it when loading a track and it disappears when it's finished loading. Also messes up my PS4 menus with the game running in the background.
This is on the European .95/99 FW.

Kambing

Movies won't be VRR, just a higher fixed frame rate. Avatar 2 will be 60 fps, last I read.

Yeah, you are right -- I must be losing my mind. Could have sworn I read something about Avatar sequels using a variable frame rate, to save rendering time/cost in scenes where HFR is not needed.

Mrbob

I haven't turned OLED light off default settings, so I would be curious to what others use as well.

I want to thank the person who recommended going for a Harmony remote for Xbox One S control. I'm now rethinking my plan and am looking at a Harmony remote to control everything but there are like 20 of them. These are the four things I want to control:

1) LG OLED
2) Yamaha Receiver
3) Xbox One S
4) Cable TV box
5) Whatever future 4k uhd blu ray I buy, whether its replacing the Xbox One S with an X model or a standalone player

Will the Harmony 650 do the trick or do I need one of the higher end models?

I just dived into the LG oled pool and got the non sound bar one, but geez audio is a problem isn't it? You have to spend almost as much to get an audio system to match the picture.

What starts as a casual question - what sound bar is best - reveals that dolby have added so many standards now you're sort of pushed into looking at a super expensive receiver and discrete speakers and lots of cables :(

I think I'll forget I ever heard about Dolby Atmos. Christ. Leave that one for the far off future where I'm building my own house with a dedicated cinema room.

Anyone with a C6 or E6 that also gets corrupted menus in Wipeout Omega Collection on the PS4 Pro?

A C6 owner posted this pic over on avforums and I see the same on a E6:
IMG_0381.jpg

I see it when loading a track and it disappears when it's finished loading. Also messes up my PS4 menus with the game running in the background.
This is on the European .95/99 FW.
Wut

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just dived into the LG oled pool and got the non sound bar one, but geez audio is a problem isn't it? You have to spend almost as much to get an audio system to match the picture.

What starts as a casual question - what sound bar is best - reveals that dolby have added so many standards now you're sort of pushed into looking at a super expensive receiver and discrete speakers and lots of cables :(

I think I'll forget I ever heard about Dolby Atmos. Christ. Leave that one for the far off future where I'm building my own house with a dedicated cinema room.

A receiver doesn't have to be "super expensive". You can get a very decent one for $500 or so, with support for Atmos and all that jazz. Then you also need speakers, of course, but you can do that in stages. Don't have to get the full Atmos setup all at once. And once you do have a full setup you can upgrade parts of it, etc. Which is the good thing about having a receiver + speakers. With a soundbar or other all-in-1 solution you're locked in and have to replace the whole thing if you ever want an upgrade. A good sound bar is also not cheap at all, the really good ones cost as much as a pretty nice receiver + speaker setup. And cheap ones won't sound very good. So a soundbar isn't really something you buy because it's cheaper (if you want something decent), it's something you get if you cannot practically fit a proper setup into your space.

Paragon

You aren't wrong academically speaking, abstracted from real world constraints, but you can look at the last couple pages for my thoughts on 2.1.
At the end of the day, we may not see sets until CES (or later) that even have the functionality, and then it is likely at least 2-3 years before anything really takes advantage of VRR. And lossless via ARC is a huge unknown (there are no streaming services offering lossless today) so how you'd ever utilize that remains to be seen. And this is again setting aside that a streaming box will likely accomplish anything you'd want ARC for anyway.
We aren't talking like 1.4 to 2.0 where it enabled HDR/4K (big deal), we're talking about somewhat esoteric features that, even if enabled, may not necessarily have any industry support anyway.
Nice FUD from someone that just bought a TV this year, telling people not to wait for the biggest changes to happen to televisions in probably the last 10 years as far as gaming is concerned: native 120Hz and Variable Refresh Rate support.
If you need a television, or don't want to wait until CES (2018-01-09) by all means buy one now.
If you're just looking to upgrade and have the opportunity to wait, CES will let you know what HDMI 2.1 features are going to be implemented in 2018's displays.

It will absolutely not be 2–3 years after release before those features will be usable.
I don't know what your reasoning for that statement is, but VRR is not something that has to be supported on a per-game basis if that's what you're thinking.
It just has to be supported at the system-level and then it should work with all games; new and old.

A lot of people here seem to be downplaying just how big a deal VRR support is.
After buying a G-Sync monitor for my PC, I'll never spend money on a fixed refresh rate display again, because games are the main thing driving those purchases.
I'm perfectly happy with my existing TV for movies.

It's also not at all "easy to argue" manufacturers could update existing sets to support VRR. How many PC monitors have you heard of being upgraded to support FreeSync?
Quite a few displays received firmware updates that added FreeSync support.
Many displays can even support it without a firmware update if you force it in the driver. Some people have even managed to get it working with old CRT monitors.

Great, but lets pump the brakes a second and just see how it plays out over HDMI 2.1, not assume it's all going to work perfectly on day one. That's all I'm really trying to say. Everything is still speculation until we see it in action.
I'll be a sad panda if there is no true Gsync support on future VRR TVs.
I'm not sure why you would assume that it won't work right away, if you have hardware that supports it.
Even if your current GPU or games console does not, the point is that most people don't buy a new TV more frequently than every 5 years or so. My current TV is ~7 years old now because I've really had no reason to upgrade yet.
The better the TV you have, the less frequently you are likely to upgrade - so an OLED TV gives you fewer reasons to upgrade compared to older LCDs for example.
If I had bought a fixed refresh rate OLED recently, I would be wanting to upgrade it as soon as models with VRR support were released. I would not be able to wait another 7 years for that.
Unless you buy a new TV every couple of years, VRR support is a major feature that will be worth waiting for if you have the option to.

If G-Sync was going to be used in TVs, I would have expected something by now.
Hopefully NVIDIA will support HDMI 2.1 VRR though. I'd prefer not to be forced into switching to AMD GPUs.

Much easier to support using VRR than constantly updating a spec with new fixed refresh rates though.
If the spec is updated from supporting 24/50/60 to 24/48/50/60/120 you cannot release a movie shot at 72 FPS.
If your display supports 24-120Hz VRR you can release a movie running at any framerate you like inside that range.
That's the whole reason we still don't have a 48 FPS release of The Hobbit movies. The spec currently only supports 24/50/60Hz, not 24-60Hz.

Omlagus

I haven't turned OLED light off default settings, so I would be curious to what others use as well.

I want to thank the person who recommended going for a Harmony remote for Xbox One S control. I'm now rethinking my plan and am looking at a Harmony remote to control everything but there are like 20 of them. These are the four things I want to control:

1) LG OLED
2) Yamaha Receiver
3) Xbox One S
4) Cable TV box
5) Whatever future 4k uhd blu ray I buy, whether its replacing the Xbox One S with an X model or a standalone player

Will the Harmony 650 do the trick or do I need one of the higher end models?

The Harmony 650 controls up to 8 devices, so based on your list you should be good to go with just that as far as control goes. But you might want to consider whether you will ever want to something like control of smart home devices. If so, you would need a higher end Harmony model to do it. If it's strictly for your 5 devices listed, the 650 will do the trick.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/harmony-universal-remotes

Zhao_Yun

I am currently in the market for a new TV and I have my eyes on the LG B7. Reviews look good, but I have some concerns about the brightness of the HDR Game mode since I've read some reports about the image being too dim/dark in this mode. If there are any B7/C7 owners in this thread I would really like to know whether you had issues with this as well. Thanks!

GReeeeN

I am currently in the market for a new TV and I have my eyes on the LG B7. Reviews look good, but I have some concerns about the brightness of the HDR Game mode since I've read some reports about the image being too dim/dark in this mode. If there are any B7/C7 owners in this thread I would really like to know whether you had issues with this as well. Thanks!

I am also curious to know some impressions from neogaf.

I'm thinking of upgrading my KS8000 with 1000nits to the LG C7 OLED. There will be an obvious downgrade in brightness, will it be that noticeable?. The KS8000 with full backlight in HDR does look amazing in games like Horizon, especially in bright scenes. Im hoping the OLEDs have greater "color pop" due to the true blacks to compensate for the decreased brightness.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my KS8000 with 1000nits to the LG C7 OLED. There will be an obvious downgrade in brightness, will it be that noticeable?. The KS8000 with full backlight in HDR does look amazing in games like Horizon, especially in bright scenes. Im hoping the OLEDs have greater "color pop" due to the true blacks to compensate for the decreased brightness.

Very bright scenes will pop less, medium/dark scenes will pop more, basically.

Mrbob

On my C7 I turn on PC mode before I play games and choose whatever HDR mode looks best. HDR Game mode doesn't look bad on it's own, but when you compare it to other modes it looks a little dark. Turning on PC mode turns off some TV features but you can basically use any picture mode you want and the input lag stays around 21 ms.

I'm not sure why you would assume that it won't work right away, if you have hardware that supports it.
Even if your current GPU or games console does not, the point is that most people don't buy a new TV more frequently than every 5 years or so. My current TV is ~7 years old now because I've really had no reason to upgrade yet.
The better the TV you have, the less frequently you are likely to upgrade - so an OLED TV gives you fewer reasons to upgrade compared to older LCDs for example.
If I had bought a fixed refresh rate OLED recently, I would be wanting to upgrade it as soon as models with VRR support were released. I would not be able to wait another 7 years for that.
Unless you buy a new TV every couple of years, VRR support is a major feature that will be worth waiting for if you have the option to.

If G-Sync was going to be used in TVs, I would have expected something by now.
Hopefully NVIDIA will support HDMI 2.1 VRR though. I'd prefer not to be forced into switching to AMD GPUs.

Will the first gen HDMI 2.1 TVs handle full spec? It's already been explained in this thread but the upgrade from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 didn't include the bandwidth increase initially. If these new HDMI 2.1 TVs stay at 18GBps bandwidth for the initial sets it has the functionality of HDMI 2.1 for VRR but still limited to 4k60. For this reason alone it might worth it to wait for second gen HDMI 2.1 tvs. If you want a HDMI 2.1 TV right away, go for it. Just wanted to point out to other previous HDMI launch spec upgrades haven't always gone smoothly for first gen tvs.

Everyone is different in what they want. VRR is enticing to me, but not as huge a deal for pc gaming. I can already tweak my settings to hit 60fps locked, so VRR doesn't really do much here. Now 4k120 is exciting, but I'm fine with 60fps gaming. Time is always on PC gamings side as each new year it's easier and easier to hit target resolutions and frame rates. I'm personally waiting for 12 bit panels and nits around 2000 (prefer 4000 but that might not be realistic on OLED anytime soon) before I upgrade to HDMI 2.1. I want my TV to handle the specs of HDMI 2.1 in a variety of areas when I hop in.

The Harmony 650 controls up to 8 devices, so based on your list you should be good to go with just that as far as control goes. But you might want to consider whether you will ever want to something like control of smart home devices. If so, you would need a higher end Harmony model to do it. If it's strictly for your 5 devices listed, the 650 will do the trick.

https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/harmony-universal-remotes

Thanks. Ordered the Harmony Companion. Hub looks cool and functional. Couldn't justify spending nearly twice the price on the Elite controller when it seems like I can use that extra touch screen functionality from my phone.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
A receiver doesn't have to be "super expensive". You can get a very decent one for $500 or so, with support for Atmos and all that jazz. Then you also need speakers, of course, but you can do that in stages. Don't have to get the full Atmos setup all at once. And once you do have a full setup you can upgrade parts of it, etc. Which is the good thing about having a receiver + speakers. With a soundbar or other all-in-1 solution you're locked in and have to replace the whole thing if you ever want an upgrade. A good sound bar is also not cheap at all, the really good ones cost as much as a pretty nice receiver + speaker setup. And cheap ones won't sound very good. So a soundbar isn't really something you buy because it's cheaper (if you want something decent), it's something you get if you cannot practically fit a proper setup into your space.

yup, and once you have a good passive speakers they last forever. I've had the 7 in my 7.1.2 for something like 12-13 years now.

the subwoofer I've replaced a couple times in that time, receiver a few times too.

atoms speakers are a new add on.

Mrbob

Another vote here for a receiver and speakers combo if you can make it work. I upgraded my receiver this year and kept my speakers. Easy upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with Hisense TVs? I am looking for a 50-60" TV and these seemed reasonable. Thoughts?
What is your budget? If you can squeeze 600 dollars then look at the TCL P605 at Best Buy. It's by far the best tv for movies and games in the price range.

Going from an KS8000 to a C7 is a nice upgrade for definite, an OLED will teach edge lits an lesson that's for sure.

Ordered the Harmony Companion. Hub looks cool and functional.

I was just about to reply to your earlier "should I get the 650" question, but you dodged a bullet! The X1S is *awful* at receiving IR commands. I've had several 650s, never had an issue with any device - except the X1S.

I just switched over to the Companion, and it's awesome. Controls everything perfectly, the smartphone app is handy...and it integrates with Alexa. Now I say "Computer, turn on movie time" and the system turns on, goes to Blu-ray, and the lights dim to the appropriate level.

BumRush

Just an update (completely unrelated) but I watched episode 2 (this season) of GoT last night and got no banding. Maybe it's all about the time you watch?

HBO Go app, by the way.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I was just about to reply to your earlier "should I get the 650" question, but you dodged a bullet! The X1S is *awful* at receiving IR commands. I've had several 650s, never had an issue with any device - except the X1S.

I just switched over to the Companion, and it's awesome. Controls everything perfectly, the smartphone app is handy...and it integrates with Alexa. Now I say "Computer, turn on movie time" and the system turns on, goes to Blu-ray, and the lights dim to the appropriate level.

I think I have the earliest version of the companion when it was called smart control. Great remote though.

Anion

So I just got an LG C7 at Best Buy and the guy was telling me I needed better HDMI cables if I wanted to use my Xbox 1S at its full capacity. I assumed this was a myth people used to say a long time ago when HDMI cables had just come out. Is this true now? I'm using the regular Xbox 1S HDMI cables that came with the Xbox

Yukstin

So I just got an LG C7 at Best Buy and the guy was telling me I needed better HDMI cables if I wanted to use my Xbox 1S at its full capacity. I assumed this was a myth people used to say a long time ago when HDMI cables had just come out. Is this true now? I'm using the regular Xbox 1S HDMI cables that came with the Xbox

The cable that came with your Xbox S will be all you need to take advantage of 4k HDR. If you need more HDMI cables, get these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427 or the Amazon ones. If you pay anymore than that, you're getting taken for a ride.

zeeaykay

When I first researched the C7 I felt like I'd be getting my money's worth as one of the best TVs ever made. My thought process was I'd he paying the premium but I'd know I was getting a premium product in return.

Then I hopped on AVSForum. If you ever want to get talked out of a TV, just go skim through the official owner's thread and your enthusiasm will probably die.

I'm still excited to pick up a C7 later this year, but if I keep reading AVS I won't feel as good about it. I imagine they're like this in almost every single owner's thread.

ApharmdX

Banned

I can look at what firmware my B7 is on when I get home tonight, but no, HDR Game mode is not too dark for me. I think that bug was with the B6 on its latest firmware, and not the 2017 OLEDs?

When I first researched the C7 I felt like I'd be getting my money's worth as one of the best TVs ever made. My thought process was I'd he paying the premium but I'd know I was getting a premium product in return.

Then I hopped on AVSForum. If you ever want to get talked out of a TV, just go skim through the official owner's thread and your enthusiasm will probably die.

I'm still excited to pick up a C7 later this year, but if I keep reading AVS I won't feel as good about it. I imagine they're like this in almost every single owner's thread.

The problem with the 2017 OLED owner's threads on AVS, and I love that place so don't get me wrong, is that pretty much everyone runs (and then posts shots of) 5% above-black slides. The Sony A1E owner's thread doesn't have nearly as many posts about 5% slides so it's not as grim.

Look, LG OLED panels, including those in the Panasonic and Sony OLEDs, have uniformity issues with near-black. If you are thinking about buying one, do understand that you may occasionally see uneven bands in content. But also understand that LCDs have uniformity issues with bright scenes, where the lighting structure creates lines or other visible artifacts. I still think that the OLED TVs are the best on the market today, and you'll see a ton of posters in this thread who are happy with them.

If you want a perfectly uniform display, your only option for now is to buy a used plasma TV. The only remaining display technologies BOTH have uniformity problems.

I can look at what firmware my B7 is on when I get home tonight, but no, HDR Game mode is not too dark for me. I think that bug was with the B6 on its latest firmware, and not the 2017 OLEDs?
No, it's the C6, E6 and G6 that all got the HLG FW update.
The B6 might be too dark to some owners, but I wouldn't hold my breath regarding any FW to "fix" it as AFAIK it's not any dimmer than it was on the other models before they got the HLG FW that completely screwed it up beyond recognition.

btw. today some russian site uploaded a "05.30.10" FW for the European/russian C6/E6. Maybe that one fixes the too dim HDR game mode. No idea since I don't know of anyone testing it yet.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

the one that came with your xbox one S is fine.

it is true that some older HDMI cables may have issues carrying full bandwidth 4k/60/surround sound.

but you don't need anything special, just newer ones that you can get cheaply from Amazon or Monoprice

Mrbob

If you want a reason to never buy any tv, ever, regularly check out the avs forum owners threads. I like that they go over every small detail but it gets intense to say the least. Small issues tend to get blown up to big issues, but they are super hardcore, so I guess that is par for the course.

Sweet, looking forward to cleaning up my pile of remotes.

Quick question, has anyone checked the 2016/2017 OLED sets for 240p compatibility? I haven't even plugged in the adapter cable for the analog inputs.

I'll probably use my retropie for SNES and the like, but I've considered getting a SNES a few times and some of those hd retrovision cables.

torontoml

So is this what people talk about for "vertical banding"? LG B7 by the way, had it for about 2 days.

I really only noticed the area where I put the red above the line, but my camera seems to have picked up more, so not really a concern. Will this go away with use?

I've only noticed it occasionally, more or less in almost black conditions.

unfortunately receivers in Australia are one of those items where the Australia Tax is still big, in other words unlike TVs local prices tend to be more expensive than the US prices.

Also as mentioned I loathe all the speaker cable that a discrete setup requires, worry about input lag, and gotchas with pass-through and HDMI copy protection and ARC and all that stuff. It is just More Complex both in look and in things to go wrong.

After rejecting the Sonos because it doesn't have HDMI pass-through and rejecting the Samsung Atmos 5.1 system because it has hiss from the rear speakers I'm gonna go with the Bose 300. It is not audiophile but I'm not using this setup for concerts and music. For movies and games I think it'll be good, and the wireless rears help.

Focal have a very nice looking small 5.1 speaker set that caught my eye but with the price and the receiver it starts to mount up :(

When you look at all the issues with PS4 5.1 audio over HDMI, HDMI, HDMI-ARC and Audio over HDMI and Optical it is a minefield. There are way too many audio standards, too many HDMI standards and clearly there are interoperability issues galore.

Dosia

So is this what people talk about for "vertical banding"? LG B7 by the way, had it for about 2 days.

I really only noticed the area where I put the red above the line, but my camera seems to have picked up more, so not really a concern. Will this go away with use?

Yep. From what I have read it make clear up a bit after a few comp cycles, but not much.

Anion

The cable that came with your Xbox S will be all you need to take advantage of 4k HDR. If you need more HDMI cables, get these https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427 or the Amazon ones. If you pay anymore than that, you're getting taken for a ride.

the one that came with your xbox one S is fine.

it is true that some older HDMI cables may have issues carrying full bandwidth 4k/60/surround sound.

but you don't need anything special, just newer ones that you can get cheaply from Amazon or Monoprice

Ah thank you guys! I was doubting myself when the guy told me, so I'm glad I didn't fall for it lol.

Dave_6

Yep. My B6 has one exactly in the same spot; not noticeable in 95% of the material I've watched. I've had mine since late January and it has gotten a little better but I don't think it's going to go away.

Kyoufu

That looks pretty bad tbh. I'd get a replacement.

RSH

Neo Member
So I set up my 65 inch KS8000, turned on my PS4 Pro, and saw this, in the top left hand corner of my screen. I bought the tv off eBay in As New Condition, as a refurbished factory second, for a decent discount. I got onto the seller, who immediately offered me a $200 (Australian) discount. I knocked that back, and they are going to give me another tv and pay both lots of postage. Did I make the right decision, or should I keep it, and maybe even push for a further discount?

YTuNcFj.jpg

After going back and forth on whether to wait for hdmi 2.1 or not there was suddenly a price crash in Australia and the X9000E (900E in USA) is now a reasonable asking price. I just snapped one up.

For anyone who uses them a a PC monitor, is there an easy way to have full 4k 4:4:4 on desktop, but then have games render in HDR at lower resolutions when they're fullscreen? Or do I need to be at a desktop resolution that is using HDR in the settings to do that?

I can live with using a custom 1800p 4:4:4 10bit presentation for desktop work (it's not perfect but w/e), but it would be ideal if I didn't have to. The main thing I'm trying to avoid is having to manually switch display modes when I want to boot an HDR game.

ViciousDS

Banned
So I set up my 65 inch KS8000, turned on my PS4 Pro, and saw this, in the top left hand corner of my screen. I bought the tv off eBay in As New Condition, as a refurbished factory second, for a decent discount. I got onto the seller, who immediately offered me a $200 (Australian) discount. I knocked that back, and they are going to give me another tv and pay both lots of postage. Did I make the right decision, or should I keep it, and maybe even push for a further discount?

ZeMYU1a.jpg

that sucks, I'm sorry

The KS8000 that I sold to Ho Ho here had 0 ABSOLUTELY ZERO Light bleeding, the set literally was the best I could ask for. The bezel wasn't bent like some in shipping, no bleeding AT ALL.....ran multiple tests to see if there was any and not a single dead pixel.

Get another/replacement TV.....that's really, really bad

Top Bottom