• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

Teppic

It seems like to get this months, you sub now. The auto-renew happens on the next refresh (Nov 6) so you get the NEXT month/current month's full mystery box.
So you actually have to pay $24 to get just the games offered next month. You sub now for $12 and next month you'll get the games and it will auto-renewal for another $12 before you can cancel the subscription. Am I understanding it correctly?

robotrock

Banned
I don't see why you wouldn't just subscribe to a single month if you find a bundle appealing, instead of letting the subscription run continuously. It's not like Plus/GwG where you're bound to the service if you want to play online.

Because they don't announce the bundle until it's released, and at that point you can't subscribe and get the current bundle

Xis

If they let me dedicate this 100% to charity, I would do this in an instant. As it stands, $12 a month is less than I am paying for WoW so I guess it's not a lot of money, but I already have a giant Steam backlog I don't need to add to.

styl3s

$12 is too pricy considering most bundles i either have the majority of games in it, don't care about half the games or a mixture of both.

It's a neat idea but it's not for me.

I don't see why you wouldn't just subscribe to a single month if you find a bundle appealing, instead of letting the subscription run continuously. It's not like Plus/GwG where you're bound to the service if you want to play online.
Why would i want to risk flushing $12 down the toilet? Yeah, $12 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but i could put that $12 towards numerous other things.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Because you will always be buying the Bundle blind. You won't be able to buy into it once it is revealed.

So you actually have to pay $24 to get just the games offered next month. You sub now for $12 and next month you'll get the games and it will auto-renewal for another $12 before you can cancel the subscription. Am I understanding it correctly?

I keep trying to explain it as simply as possible.

You are always paying for the next bundle in advance. If you subscribe now, your first 12 dollars will get you the games released in November. By default your subscription will auto renew and you will be charged another 12 dollars for the games you will get in the December bundle.

If you decide to subscribe after November's games are revealed, you will be charged 12 dollars and get the games coming in the December bundle.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Neat idea, but no thanks.
I don't like buying games blindly and since I buy a lot of Indie games I would probably only get a bunch of games I already have.

Ozium

If anyone wants to get this solely for Legend of Grimrock 2 you might want to wait.. I guarantee you it will be cheaper than $12 during the Winter sale on Steam. You won't get the extra random games but you will have enough left over from your $12 budget to buy 3-4 more games on sale

Teppic

I keep trying to explain it as simply as possible.

You are always paying for the next bundle in advance. If you subscribe now, your first 12 dollars will get you the games released in November. By default your subscription will auto renew and you will be charged another 12 dollars for the games you will get in the December bundle.

If you decide to subscribe after November's games are revealed, you will be charged 12 dollars and get the games coming in the December bundle.
Wasn't that just what I said? ;P If I'm just planning to get the games in the first bundle and want to cancel it afterwards I will have to pay $24.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
$12 is a decent 50% off price for Grimrock 2, so I might subscribe to the first month and see how the selection is.

I really don't see myself wasting $144 annually on blind indie bundles, though.

morningbus

Wasn't that just what I said? ;P If I'm just planning to get the games in the first bundle and want to cancel it afterwards I will have to pay $24.
No it's not what you're saying. You can cancel before you are charged again.

Every month will cost you just 12 dollars.

yatesl

As people have said, this is far too expensive.

• Playstation Plus works because it's (at most) £40 a year. This is ~£95.
  • Most of the time the "top tier" in a weekly bundle is only $10 anyway, unless it's got a t shirt etc.

At risk of sounding like people in the Playstation Plus and Games with Gold threads, they'd need to offer a "AAA" game with this every month to make it appealing. Each month gets you a major title released last year (although likely has already been £5 in the previous year's winter sale), and 4 other indies.

bede-x

When you can buy the base package of a typical Humble Bundle for $1, it had better be some amazing games when they're asking $12 and making people go in blind. I'm not against it as such, but it'll live and die by the quality of the games.

As people have said, this is far too expensive.

• Playstation Plus works because it's (at most) £40 a year. This is ~£95.
  • Most of the time the "top tier" in a weekly bundle is only $10 anyway, unless it's got a t shirt etc.

At risk of sounding like people in the Playstation Plus and Games with Gold threads, they'd need to offer a "AAA" game with this every month to make it appealing. Each month gets you a major title released last year (although likely has already been £5 in the previous year's winter sale), and 4 other indies.

Without knowing what will be included in the monthly bundles, it's impossible to gauge its "value" against not-really-competing services on the consoles.

yuraya

12$ is a lot of money but at the same time its hard to judge it this early as you don't know what kinda stuff they will offer. If Humble gives you say 5 more games similar to Grimrock 2 value that will make the 12$ excellent value. Even if they are games you already own you will be able to get some value for them. Trade them for something else or give them away on GAF etc. Are the games individual keys or is it one key for the entire bundle? There is no way of knowing for now. We have to wait until next month to see how serious they are about this stuff.

Humble needs to provide better communication and/or some guarantees. Subscriptions are an entirely different ball game from what they've been doing. And 12$ is a lot of money compared to other subscription based services out there.

Rather Dashing

Neo Member
Oh, okay. So you will still receive the next games even if you cancel. I see now.
Let me try to explain the exact process:

• You authorize a recurring payment of $12/month to Humble.
  • You are normally charged 7 days before the bundle unlocks. As I understand it, if you subscribe within that 7-day window, you're charged immediately and get that month's bundle when it unlocks.
  • So, by the time you get a bundle, you have about 3 weeks to cancel before they charge you for the next month's bundle.

Wok

If anyone wants to get this solely for Legend of Grimrock 2 you might want to wait.. I guarantee you it will be cheaper than $12 during the Winter sale on Steam. You won't get the extra random games but you will have enough left over from your $12 budget to buy 3-4 more games on sale

But LoG 2 is free, considering the $12 are for the next bundle.

inky

I have a feeling the first bundle has to be really good to generate buzz and ensure it isn't DoA, so it might be still be worth it for some.

Teppic

Let me try to explain the exact process:

* You authorize a recurring payment of $12/month to Humble.
* You are normally charged 7 days before the bundle unlocks. As I understand it, if you subscribe within that 7-day window, you're charged immediately and get that month's bundle when it unlocks.
* So, by the time you get a bundle, you have about 3 weeks to cancel before they charge you for the next month's bundle.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
cant say im interested. the last bundle was 10 dollars to unlock everything (still have to get it)

im guessing they're going to artificially inflate the prices of the bundles now to make this monthly thing more appealling

morningbus

Oh, okay. So you will still receive the next games even if you cancel. I see now.

So two months of bundles for 12 dollars? Sounds good to me.
Just to be clear here: you are paying 12 dollars per bundle in advance.

So, let's say right now you give them 12 dollars. That will get you the Bundle to be released in November. You can cancel the subscription before they charge you another 12 dollars for December. If you do, you only get November's games. If you don't, you'll be charged another 12 dollars for December and get access to December's games.

Haunted

I'd rather pick and choose my own games instead of letting someone else decide what I get.

I'm sure It'll be amazing value compared to the store value of the games involved "this month's bundle would cost you 80€ on Steam!", but I value having control over these things.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Eh, no, thank you. This is exactly why I don't even think about subscribing to PS+ or Xbox Live. I much rather buy 1 game of my choosing for €12 than pay monthly for who knows what. Or not get anything that month and get a €24 game next time around.

oti

Banned
But what if it's MGS V, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, the exclusive PC version of Super Mario Maker and Halo 5 in the first bundle? :O

bede-x

Don't see how this humble bundle can even get close to offering 3 times the value of PS+.

It's not exactly the same thing. Here you can pay once and keep playing your games. With PS+ you'll need to keep paying, to keep playing.

That said this Humble offer is not even close to convincing me it's worth the money. We'll see I guess..

MrBS

I know 5% is better than zero but with a cut that low it strikes me a bullet point rather than a genuine effort to continue the charitable nature Humble started with.

But what if it's MGS V, Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, the exclusive PC version of Super Mario Maker and Halo 5 in the first bundle? :O

Somebody will make 100 posts complaining about no black flag and how they shouldn't be subsidising people who like early access crap like mgs5.

Depends on the number of games. I don't care about the games, I just want to add to my Steam library and be a cool kid!

Seriously though, I would prefer if they gave some insight, genres of the game, what developers, etc.

Lork

It's probably worth it for the very first bundle, simply because they'll be using it as a "Wow! Much value! Aren't you gutted you missed out?" thing for future bundles.
I'm kind of tempted to go for the first month just based on this alone, but I can't see myself committing to anything more than that unless they prove they can consistently deliver better deals than they have in the past to justify the lack of foreknowledge. In the coming months they might do just that, but until they prove it, why bother?

It really allows for some unique marketing opportunities, much like a book club, where you know you have a set number of people being introduced to your community at the same time.
So its for Indies to get their game out to a few thousand people in hope for good word of mouth. I expect newly released games from unknown developers, that won't be offered as cheap again for some time. It will probably be more for the curious than for the deal hunter. I might bite.

Top Bottom